• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
The number who used to attend the NUS (including the former SU and Nantah) Alumni dinners once or twice a year, prior to 2020, appears to indicate not that many are in the Toronto area, or it could be many chose not attend, or many are not alumni of the NUS. I do not know that many, and I did not take the initiative to find and meet them.
There’s good reason older generation who moved in 80s especia
Any pictures?

I started a new thread at Courtyard

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/life-in-canada-land-of-the-true-north-strong-and-free.306136/

It is more to share pictures and places to eat, food, sights, outdoors, activities ie life in Canada.

This thread as I understand from Sam is actually meant more for questions related to applying for PR in Canada.
You asked, so I posted :-)

But dear god… some of the replies in that thread are toxic siah… repeat after me: focus on the positive…

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just reading old posts this late. Your neighbourhood main road is ridiculously packed this summer with so many patios and people. It’s like people have been released from cages and cannot get enough of patio dining.
I am not sure which day and at what time, that it is that crowded on the Danforth.
Which part of the Danforth?
Between Chester and Pape?

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
I gave up Canadian PR and chose to live in Sgp. Why would you want to go live there when you can travel anywhere with sg passport.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I gave up Canadian PR and chose to live in Sgp. Why would you want to go live there when you can travel anywhere with sg passport.
I know of many Singaporeans who gave up Canadian PR and realized that SG is better. Some of them are my own siblings and parents.

You are absolutely correct! SG is the best.

You made the right choice.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Can you share you bad experiences in Canada?

I think that will help more of your fellow countrymen to move to SG. I still see many Indian Drs coming to Canada and then complain that they cant practice medicine.

You have IT background? Would be good to share the hardships you encountered in Canada vs the vast opportunities you gained moving to SG.

Help people make the right choice and move to SG or stay in SG.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you share you bad experiences in Canada?

I think that will help more of your fellow countrymen to move to SG. I still see many Indian Drs coming to Canada and then complain that they cant practice medicine.

You have IT background? Would be good to share the hardships you encountered in Canada vs the vast opportunities you gained moving to SG.

Help people make the right choice and move to SG or stay in SG.
I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. It's just that I liked life in Singapire better. Pros of Canada- relaxed work culture, more certainty especially in terms of retirement , medical etc. , beautiful and spacious land with high quality of life. Cons of Canada - you need to have a qualification from there or US. Hard to get the first break of you are not in IT. I was a techie so I got a job easily. Hugh taxes but not the main issue. Saving money is harder there than in Sg because you get less in hand. Stocks profit is taxable in Sg its 0. Non techie is very hard to get a foot in the door and many people with qualification in India work as cabbies. And these are good guys in their field.

I loved Sg because of proximity to India, and saved more. I don't like the long working hours. The quality of work is better in Canada for technology because of proximity to US. It is OK to go for many. But for me it worked well here because I bought my property when I came here in 2004 and I kept getting good banking IT jobs with good pay.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. It's just that I liked life in Singapire better. Pros of Canada- relaxed work culture, more certainty especially in terms of retirement , medical etc. , beautiful and spacious land with high quality of life. Cons of Canada - you need to have a qualification from there or US. Hard to get the first break of you are not in IT. I was a techie so I got a job easily. Hugh taxes but not the main issue. Saving money is harder there than in Sg because you get less in hand. Stocks profit is taxable in Sg its 0. Non techie is very hard to get a foot in the door and many people with qualification in India work as cabbies. And these are good guys in their field.

I loved Sg because of proximity to India, and saved more. I don't like the long working hours. The quality of work is better in Canada for technology because of proximity to US. It is OK to go for many. But for me it worked well here because I bought my property when I came here in 2004 and I kept getting good banking IT jobs with good pay.
Yes SG is great for anyone working in banking sector.

SG = finance/banking and property. But mainly banking.

So you made a great choice! Many Singaporeans who work in banking are raking it! Huge bonuses when the banks do well! And the regular salary is also fantastic! Low taxes as well. Property investments also do very well.

Glad you like Singapore! All the best to you and your family. Your future is bright in SG. Thumbs up.

Hopefully more Indians will realize this and move from India to SG too.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes SG is great for anyone working in banking sector.

SG = finance/banking and property. But mainly banking.

So you made a great choice! Many Singaporeans who work in banking are raking it! Huge bonuses when the banks do well! And the regular salary is also fantastic! Low taxes as well. Property investments also do very well.

Glad you like Singapore! All the best to you and your family. Your future is bright in SG. Thumbs up.

Hopefully more Indians will realize this and move from India to SG too.
I am in the IT department of the bank. I am indian but moved from US / Canada 17 years ago. Banking is now slowing a bit. The fintech companies are the place to be. But I growing older and tired now to change. Overall I am happy being here and hope to contribute more. My first son will shortly start NS in a few years. Hope he can join the local mainstream after that. The second has a few more years to go.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am in the IT department of the bank. I am indian but moved from US / Canada 17 years ago. Banking is now slowing a bit. The fintech companies are the place to be. But I growing older and tired now to change. Overall I am happy being here and hope to contribute more. My first son will shortly start NS in a few years. Hope he can join the local mainstream after that. The second has a few more years to go.
Well done! I applaud your efforts and success.

It is also good that your sons are doing NS. They will be true sons of Singapore! Good for character building. Excellent.

Have any of your relatives also moved to Singapore? From what I have heard there are also more and more ethnic Indian people living in SG now. So eventually perhaps SG will be majority Indian. That would be advantageous for your sons and grandchildren particularly.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@Sgpind how did you find this forum?

There are many here that are racist and do not want more Indians in Singapore. Hopefully Singaporeans can become more tolerant and accepting and go back to the racial harmony it is famous for.

I do think that what is shown here in forum is not the reality in Singapore.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done! I applaud your efforts and success.

It is also good that your sons are doing NS. They will be true sons of Singapore! Good for character building. Excellent.

Have any of your relatives also moved to Singapore? From what I have heard there are also more and more ethnic Indian people living in SG now. So eventually perhaps SG will be majority Indian. That would be advantageous for your sons and grandchildren particularly.
No relatives here. Only friends. I am not in favour of SG demographics changing drastically. In fact I want my sons to become more Singaporeans in values and thought. I am OK if they marry interracial. After all this country and people have given my prosperity.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
@Sgpind how did you find this forum?

There are many here that are racist and do not want more Indians in Singapore. Hopefully Singaporeans can become more tolerant and accepting and go back to the racial harmony it is famous for.

I do think that what is shown here in forum is not the reality in Singapore.
It's OK Lah!! I can understand their frustration too. Sgp has been tolerant under the steady hands of LKY and will keep that tradition because the great dude built the worlds best institutions.

But whether you agree with me or not, Singapore population is declining because of low birth rate. 1.28. So if no immigration it will collapse the Singapore way of living in the coming decades. So that is reality. But what Sgp can do is to help immigrants with the Singaporean value and thought. Only then we can thrive.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
No relatives here. Only friends. I am not in favour of SG demographics changing drastically. In fact I want my sons to become more Singaporeans in values and thought. I am OK if they marry interracial. After all this country and people have given my prosperity.
What is the situation now from your perspective?
I left SG for Canada in 2010. So it has been 11 years for me.
I have renouced my SG citizenship.
I hear that many jobs in the banking and finance sector are going to CECA. Is this true?
And there are many more Indians now in SG such that demographics have indeed changed
What are your thoughts?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It's OK Lah!! I can understand their frustration too. Sgp has been tolerant under the steady hands of LKY and will keep that tradition because the great dude built the worlds best institutions.

But whether you agree with me or not, Singapore population is declining because of low birth rate. 1.28. So if no immigration it will collapse the Singapore way of living in the coming decades. So that is reality. But what Sgp can do is to help immigrants with the Singaporean value and thought. Only then we can thrive.

I totally agree. Singapore needs more people.

Back in 2004 I asked myself what would be best for Singapore?

On one hand if Singapore is successful economically then it is likely there will be more immigrants. Singapore also wants a growing population. A growing population will also help with property market. An economically successful SG would mean higher living costs. Also more crowding. Higher COE with competition. More competition. More stress. People willing to work longer hours. Yikes.

On the other hand.....if population shrank....housing prices dropped....COE dropped.....it would be a sign that Singapore is falling apart.

So overall it is better to keep high immigration
Attract more foreigners. Keep rental market up. Cheap labor to support SMEs. Keep property sector growing as well. More competitive is still better than deflation.

So yes. I think govt is smart to sign CECA agreement. Indian nationals do indeed like SG. Close by and already has many Indians. Big step up from India. Many Indians speak English too.

At one time some thought Chinese PRC nationals would go to SG. But i think language is a problem for many of them. They dont speak English as well.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the situation now from your perspective?
I left SG for Canada in 2010. So it has been 11 years for me.
I have renouced my SG citizenship.
I hear that many jobs in the banking and finance sector are going to CECA. Is this true?
And there are many more Indians now in SG such that demographics have indeed changed
What are your thoughts?
Well there are significantly more Employment pass holders now compared to 2004 when I came. Ceca numbers are not clear. Its just perception that there lot of Indians because of one or two enclaves in the east where the IT departments of banks are concentrated. Last 3 or 4 years number of Indians coming in is lesser than number leaving the country. The demographics of citizens has nor changed. Indians are still in the same 8% band as it was in 2004. However number of temporary workers may have increased but that is quickly reversible should the situation demand. Now in Singapore if you are a citizen or PR its easier to get a job than an EP holder.

Why did you give up Singapore citizenship. What was your Canadian experience. Are you ethnic Chinese?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Well there are significantly more Employment pass holders now compared to 2004 when I came. Ceca numbers are not clear. Its just perception that there lot of Indians because of one or two enclaves in the east where the IT departments of banks are concentrated. Last 3 or 4 years number of Indians coming in is lesser than number leaving the country. The demographics of citizens has nor changed. Indians are still in the same 8% band as it was in 2004. However number of temporary workers may have increased but that is quickly reversible should the situation demand. Now in Singapore if you are a citizen or PR its easier to get a job than an EP holder.

Why did you give up Singapore citizenship. What was your Canadian experience. Are you ethnic Chinese?
Yes I am ethnic Chinese.

I had no Canadian experience. Started all over again. My first job was general laborer in a PVC windows company assembling PVC jambs and sills.

I got Canadian citizenship in 2015. Renounced SG citizenship same year. Withdrew CPF. Part of the reason is so my sons dont have to serve NS. In order for that to happen they need Canadian citizenship. In order for that to work my wife and I as parents would need to apply for Canadian citizenship. And as you know Singapore does not allow dual citizenship. And when we apply to MINDEF they will know.

So took it positive. My older son will turn 21 in 2 years time. Only at 21 can Singapore boys renounce SG citizenship.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I think that the demographic will change in SG.

As you mentioned the local ethnic Chinese Singaporeans are not having children.

Whereas migrants who do well in their new country tend to have more children. Sense of optimism and hope.

It is the same in Canada. Demographics have changed over the years with immigration.

So I expect Singapore to have a higher % of Indians in the future. Probably another 20 years.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I am ethnic Chinese.

I had no Canadian experience. Started all over again. My first job was general laborer in a PVC windows company assembling PVC jambs and sills.

I got Canadian citizenship in 2015. Renounced SG citizenship same year. Withdrew CPF. Part of the reason is so my sons dont have to serve NS. In order for that to happen they need Canadian citizenship. In order for that to work my wife and I as parents would need to apply for Canadian citizenship. And as you know Singapore does not allow dual citizenship. And when we apply to MINDEF they will know.

So took it positive. My older son will turn 21 in 2 years time. Only at 21 can Singapore boys renounce SG citizenship.
I am training and encouraging my boys to do NS. 2 years is nothing. Do your kids like it there?

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that the demographic will change in SG.

As you mentioned the local ethnic Chinese Singaporeans are not having children.

Whereas migrants who do well in their new country tend to have more children. Sense of optimism and hope.

It is the same in Canada. Demographics have changed over the years with immigration.

So I expect Singapore to have a higher % of Indians in the future. Probably another 20 years.
But that should not matter as long as we are trained to think Singaporean. There should be more inter racial marriages. Let's see how it goes.