• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Singlish show to the rest of world?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese education in Singapore ended in 1979. Today, nobody younger than 40 years old are Chinese educated. Make your calculations when they'd be all gone. There's also no such thing as English education as it was meant to be in past. In 20 years time, all Singaporeans will be Singlish educated. It's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on how it's managed.

why it's not a bad thing when singlish is a inefficient language and the whole nation using it? isn't it regression?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their problem. Not mine too.

However, I do speak Singlish too. Just for the convenience of communication. Imagine if you go to a hawker centre and speak proper English? You'd most likely have to repeat yourself a few times in order to get your message or order across. Language is a medium for communication. Black cat or white cat, if it can catch a rat it's a good cat. Singlish or English, if it can get the message across it's a useful language.

For example:

Customer A: Wei, char kuay teow mai hum one plate, want chilli.
Hawker Assistant: OK.
Customer B: Excuse me, I'd like to have a plate of pan fried noodles without cockles but with chili.
Hawker Assistant: Huh? What cocker? Talk what cock?

you don't have to speak mandarin or dialect in english, which is singlish. u could go speak directly in mandarin, or dialect. less miscommunication in that way. go straight to the source:

customer: gway diao jig bwah! mai hum, ai hiam! (translation: one plate of kway diao! no cockle please! please add chilli!)

why rooting for a inefficient language singlish? why go from point A to point B via point C? why not go from point A to point B directly??

Last edited:

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
i said to u, there're english educated helicopter in spore. but u deny that.

and also, not many chinese educated helicopter nowadays since the 80s. almost all of the subjects are in english, you retard!

You stupid retard !!

I have never heard the phrase " English helicopter" in the local context !!

Wake up from your high horse or do you want to sing "God save the Queen" ? You little twit !!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
You stupid retard !!

I have never heard the phrase " English helicopter" in the local context !!

Wake up from your high horse or do you want to sing "God save the Queen" ? You little twit !!

so u are saying there's no english educated helicopter in spore? which is a lie! THERE ARE ENGLISH EDUCATED HELICOPTER HERE IN OUR COUNTRY!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
90 percent of our school subjects are in english isn't it? We are all english educated. Now, those so call elites promoted by the pap, those so call elites with helicopter vision, arent they english educated helicopter???

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
90 percent of our school subjects are in english isn't it? We are all english educated. Now, those so call elites promoted by the pap, those so call elites with helicopter vision, arent they english educated helicopter???

Dream on, you little twit !!

This is your twisted version !!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you so angry and agitated??

Are you another Chinese helicopter ??

no i am not chinese helicopter. i just find it uncalled for for u to get angry with those bunch of outcast those minorities. chinese educated are the outcast of singapore. why don't u pick on the tough guy PAP?

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
no i am not chinese helicopter. i just find it uncalled for for u to get angry with those bunch of outcast those minorities. chinese educated are the outcast of singapore. why don't u pick on the tough guy PAP?

You fucking snake !!

Now, you call them outcast !! How come you don't agree with me earlier on ??

You twit !!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why rooting for a inefficient language singlish? why go from point A to point B via point C? why not go from point A to point B directly??

I'm not rooting for it. It's just there. Why are you uprooting it? It's quite useful.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not rooting for it. It's just there. Why are you uprooting it? It's quite useful.

uprooting? i don't have the power and strength to do that. i am merely stating the fact: its inefficient for sporean chinese to speak mandarin or dialect using english language. wanna speak mandarin or dialect? speak mandarin or dialect directly.

if wanna go from point A to point B, go straight. don't go one round via point C and get to point B. its a waste of energy.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
uprooting? i don't have the power and strength to do that. i am merely stating the fact: its inefficient for sporean chinese to speak mandarin or dialect using english language. wanna speak mandarin or dialect? speak mandarin or dialect directly.

if wanna go from point A to point B, go straight. don't go one round via point C and get to point B. its a waste of energy.

Can you stop repeating ?? You stupid parrot !!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
because it leads to the same conclusion, those discussions and questions:

singlish is not a efficient language.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, it is quite disgusting when you hear depressing Singlish in shopping malls, supermarts, and so on.

At times, I really can't make out what are those couples saying, especially young couples... For example, "I say no go watt, you go, go, go la, ask me for watt" KNN, WTF is it all about ??

WTF, another one, "Like that can meh ??" Can what ??

Pardon me.... "You drive come and pick me la, got thins to bring home."

"mummy where ar ? assed her not to walk here walk there she wun listen, now find, find, find, can not find her"

WTF !!!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Exactly, Singlish is very efficient for getting things done and understood in Singapore and among Singaporeans. Very direct. No need to detour through British English or American English or PRC Chinese.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, Singlish is very efficient for getting things done and understood in Singapore and among Singaporeans. Very direct. No need to detour through British English or American English or PRC Chinese.

what are u talking about?? singlish is not direct. its indirect. speaking mandarin or dialect in english, thats indirect.

speaking mandarin or dialect as it is, without translating into english, thats direct.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, it is quite disgusting when you hear depressing Singlish in shopping malls, supermarts, and so on.

At times, I really can't make out what are those couples saying, especially young couples... For example, "I say no go watt, you go, go, go la, ask me for watt" KNN, WTF is it all about ??

WTF, another one, "Like that can meh ??" Can what ??

Pardon me.... "You drive come and pick me la, got thins to bring home."

"mummy where ar ? assed her not to walk here walk there she wun listen, now find, find, find, can not find her"

WTF !!!

Hi Kunta (just trying out the QUOTE reply)

I've heard enough of bad grammar that I've gotten used to it. My own relatives and friends, and myself too - if I have to use Singlish, or other, to get the message across. Having to deal with workers at the site when I was a project guy, and then having to switch when I need to make a presentation to a bunch of snoots who just can't wait for the presenter to make a mistake, technical, commercial, or grammatical. Ah well, all in a day's work I'd say. We've come across taxi-drivers who speak well AND intelligently, AND we've come across community leaders who can't speak for peanuts but get there by apple-polishing. At the end of the day, we shouldn't judge a person by the level of his or hers language competency. Other traits are more important.

Cheers!

ps. Which worx better in Sg? "You wanna get your butt kicked?" or "Want kena hantam izzit?"

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal
what are u talking about?? singlish is not direct. its indirect. speaking mandarin or dialect in english, thats indirect.

speaking mandarin or dialect as it is, without translating into english, thats direct.

Professionally, we should be using proper grammar so singlish should be avoided. But for casual everyday talk, we can just use whatever we're comfortable with.

Whether singlish is direct/indirect depends on the speaker/listener's experience. Most locals prob already have it synced into our heads, so processing it's comes natural.

I see nothing wrong with the existence local slang / dialects / pidgins, they all come about naturally. However, we gotta use them in the right places.