• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breafdownn of NE MRT

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would you go an live in Edmonton? Most Asians go to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. Toronto seems to be the best balance IMHO.

You'd be surprised at the number of Sporeans that are in Calgary & Edmonton. Its cheaper & taxes are much lower in Alberta as the Provincial gov't gets alot of oil revenue. The are alot of beautiful parks, you have probably heard about Banff & Jasper

I've got relatives in Vancouver & its a very asian friendly place, but property is expensive driven up by the Hongkie invasion of 1999 & by hoards to Sporean quitters.

Toronto has got alot of facilities: parks, libraries, Ont Place, Science Park,.. but its too big & relatively unfriendly with over 10 million people

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then you definitely want to be working in Singpaore rather than Canada unless you can get job which pays at least 50% more to make up for income tax (up to 50%) and the PST/GST (15%!!!!).

I have an Australian relative who was working in Spore. His children are grown up & he's more than happy to be away from his wife :biggrin:

I know many Sporeans who took up Canadian PR & citizenship, they're all working in Canada & not in Spore. They might have higher taxes but its part of working & living in Canada. Many Sporeans in Spore think they have a good life, BUT when you factor in NS & the lost income of CPF, the long hours at the office, is life in Spore really better?

The only reason many Sporeans are working so hard is because of the uncertainty of life in Spore. Whereas in Canada, theres a good safety net in place, so why kill yorself trying to amass $$$:confused:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Live in Singapore, work hard, save your money. Retire at 50, apply for citizenship, sell your house take your CPF money (which as tax free) and live like a king in a metropolitan suburb.

I think you know enough ex-Singaporeans who have done that to know I'm not dreaming it up. Some don't even bother about the CPF money.

I know many Sporeans who took up Canadian PR & citizenship, they're all working in Canada & not in Spore. They might have higher taxes but its part of working & living in Canada. Many Sporeans in Spore think they have a good life, BUT when you factor in NS & the lost income of CPF, the long hours at the office, is life in Spore really better?

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have an Australian relative who was working in Spore. His children are grown up & he's more than happy to be away from his wife :biggrin:

The only reason many Sporeans are working so hard is because of the uncertainty of life in Spore. Whereas in Canada, theres a good safety net in place, so why kill yorself trying to amass $$$:confused:

well said ...

many s'poreans think they have a good life here, they think they cannot survive without their char kuay teow ... thats bcos they have not lived/worked overseas for long periods ... they only go overseas for short holidays ... add to that, the constant propaganda from the govt that s'pore is the best' ... naturally these ppl will become reluctant to take up residence anywhere else in the world except s'pore, some even fearful of new cultures ...

juz look at HKers & PRCians ... many can't even speak english but few are afraid of migrating to western countries ...

i think its fear thats holding back s'poreans, many of whom can speak english better than HKers/PRCians ... and not bcos s'pore is a good place to live ... how can it be a good place ? u all can see it for yourselves, esp lately ...

alberta has oil & cattle ranching ... s'pore has nothing at all, thats why the constant uncertainties ... in fact i feel very unsafe living in s'pore, immigrants (esp from india) who say 's'pore is a safe place' ... i think then mean strict gun laws & limited terrorist activit ... but s'pore is FINANCIALLY UNSAFE ... :eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Live in Singapore, work hard, save your money. Retire at 50, apply for citizenship, sell your house take your CPF money (which as tax free) and live like a king in a metropolitan suburb.

I think you know enough ex-Singaporeans who have done that to know I'm not dreaming it up. Some don't even bother about the CPF money.

You'll get fewer points if you try to emigrate to Canada as a professional when you're 45+ years old.

Have many friends overseas who are still working & not as dishwashers :biggrin:
Don't hear complaints from them about this as for many of them its something to do. Not everyone can sit around & do nothing :smile:

Have you heards the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" :biggrin: Its harder to adjust to new surroundings when your older. The only person I know who returned from Canada was a nurse in her 40's. She told me it was the cold but it could also be that she was lonely(she's single). If you go there with the right attitude you'll soon have a circle of good friends.

Working in Canada is less stressful than Spore. I'm reminded of this whenever I meet up with old schoolmates who come back to Spore for holidays. They look so much younger & fitter, and they smile more. When I was working in Canada it was barbecues at the bosses house, house warming parties at a colleagues house, fishing trips,.... Life is more than just about work :smile: I remember going out with friends after work, after all office hours was only from 8 to 4pm.

If you have kids I'm sure you'll want them to have an NSless life :biggrin: You'll have more quality time with them & if you are kiasu about education you can send them to the many elite schools, unlike in Spore where only foreigners are allowed in those International schools.

Canada has many fine Universities & they offer scholarships to PR & citizens. I remember meeting a korean chamber maid at the hotel I was staying & she proudly told me about her son who'd won a scholarship to study in the US.

As a Canadian you can work in Europe & US:eek: The PAP gov't allows anyone to work in Spore but have not bothered to get the same concessions from foreign gov'ts. :mad:

You can of course wait until 50 before deciding to emigrate but many Sporeans can't wait that long :biggrin:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was referring to someone like you who's already landed. You can now come back to earn low-tax income to bring back when you're 50.

Quite a few Singapore / Hong Kong immigrants to Canada do that. In fact, some even have dual citizenship (though it's not allowed).

You'll get fewer points if you try to emigrate to Canada as a professional when you're 45+ years old.

Have many friends overseas who are still working & not as dishwashers :biggrin:
Don't hear complaints from them about this as for many of them its something to do. Not everyone can sit around & do nothing :smile:

Have you heards the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" :biggrin: Its harder to adjust to new surroundings when your older. The only person I know who returned from Canada was a nurse in her 40's. She told me it was the cold but it could also be that she was lonely(she's single). If you go there with the right attitude you'll soon have a circle of good friends.

Working in Canada is less stressful than Spore. I'm reminded of this whenever I meet up with old schoolmates who come back to Spore for holidays. They look so much younger & fitter, and they smile more. When I was working in Canada it was barbecues at the bosses house, house warming parties at a colleagues house, fishing trips,.... Life is more than just about work :smile: I remember going out with friends after work, after all office hours was only from 8 to 4pm.

If you have kids I'm sure you'll want them to have an NSless life :biggrin: You'll have more quality time with them & if you are kiasu about education you can send them to the many elite schools, unlike in Spore where only foreigners are allowed in those International schools.

Canada has many fine Universities & they offer scholarships to PR & citizens. I remember meeting a korean chamber maid at the hotel I was staying & she proudly told me about her son who'd won a scholarship to study in the US.

As a Canadian you can work in Europe & US:eek: The PAP gov't allows anyone to work in Spore but have not bothered to get the same concessions from foreign gov'ts. :mad:

You can of course wait until 50 before deciding to emigrate but many Sporeans can't wait that long :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was referring to someone like you who's already landed. You can now come back to earn low-tax income to bring back when you're 50.

Quite a few Singapore / Hong Kong immigrants to Canada do that. In fact, some even have dual citizenship (though it's not allowed).

I made a mistake in returning to Spore, I'm not a PR of Canada :mad:

Hopefully others don't make the same error. :(

No point in crying over spilt milk & I've done ok in Spore & now plan to leave Spore in a 2+ years time.

I don't see any advantages in having dual citizenship if one of them is Spore citizenship. Its better to work in Spore as an FT, thats the sad reality in Spore.