• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Asking for laptop recommendation

hamster_ham

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a laptop.
My basic spec would be :
speed about 2 Ghz
Ram 2G
DVD burner
screen about 14 "
windows vista premiun
about $1000 - $1200

Anyone has a good recommendation?
Do you think $1000 -$1200 can get?
Thanks

stardies

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can go microware @ sim lim and find this model - acer AS 4935-863G32mn that cost $1099 + free AV. c2d 2.4, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, 14.1, windows vista home.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
My basic spec would be :
speed about 2 Ghz
Ram 2G
DVD burner
screen about 14 "
windows vista premiun
about $1000 - $1200

Thanks

Dell. never fail me.

Attachments

• June.jpg
    June.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 94

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can go microware @ sim lim and find this model - acer AS 4935-863G32mn that cost $1099 + free AV. c2d 2.4, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, 14.1, windows vista home.

Don't buy acer, lousy quality. Buy a DELL, you won't regret. Buy online, no need to talk to ah beng.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously I bought a MacBook and a Mac Mini almost three years ago and have had little to regret. My wife tough insists that she must have Windows and got it installed on the Mac desktop.

It is still fine when running OSX but whenever it switches to Windows, the 1GB onboard is not sufficient and it slows down. Friends recommend 4GB on board to run Win!

So, yes, the Mac is FAR superior but it cannot solve the problems of Win.

Don't buy acer, lousy quality. Buy a DELL, you won't regret. Buy online, no need to talk to ah beng.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously I bought a MacBook and a Mac Mini almost three years ago and have had little to regret. My wife tough insists that she must have Windows and got it installed on the Mac desktop.

It is still fine when running OSX but whenever it switches to Windows, the 1GB onboard is not sufficient and it slows down. Friends recommend 4GB on board to run Win!

macbook and mac mini are too slow.

i build a new computer with icore7 and overclocking to 4GHz, no apple pro have 4GHz. yes they have more core, but i found that most software do not use so many core. even apple own ilife, does not use so many core. so pure speed is best. I put on an intel ssd and it is super fast, faster than any mac.
of course i am running osx86.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i build a new computer with icore7 and overclocking to 4GHz, no apple pro have 4GHz. yes they have more core, ......

This guys asking for LAPTOP recommendations. The core i7 is not going to fit into anything but a desktop box.

Apple will be updating its OS to what it calls Snow Leopard within a month or two. Its suppose to take advantage of multi-core processors. It'll be interesting to see what improvements the OS will bring.
It may even be better than Vista Premium :eek:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
My basic spec would be :
speed about 2 Ghz
Ram 2G
DVD burner
screen about 14 "
windows vista premiun
about $1000 - $1200

Thanks

the cheapest fully compatible mac book alive..cheaper than your budget...US$299

dell-mini-9-mac-os-x.jpg

Last edited:

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mac Superior? I don't think so. I use MACs and PCs all the time. It depends on the user behind the machine. Mac superior is a myth and a propaganda.

Mac is good when Windows is in Win95 and Win98 era. When PCs is in the Win 2000 and WinXP era and the Macs in OS 8 and OS9. I believe the PC is better because lousy Mac OS9 is not fully internet capable. It lack many advanced essential internet techonologies. This forces Apple to switch to Unix and thus OS X. And the first OS X is a disaster. So many compatiblity and drivers problems.

Then came the ports and accessories problem. It was all diiferent from PC computer last time. It cost a lot more to get anything for the Mac. ADB keyboard cost more than $100! It's a rip-off and other accessories all cost more than the PCs. If you need to repair your Macs it will cost more than your PCs (I think it holds true even now).

In conclusion, Apple is not superior and it cost more to maintain. Anyway $1,200 cannot buy you a Mac laptop.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This guys asking for LAPTOP recommendations. The core i7 is not going to fit into anything but a desktop box.

Apple will be updating its OS to what it calls Snow Leopard within a month or two. Its suppose to take advantage of multi-core processors. It'll be interesting to see what improvements the OS will bring.
It may even be better than Vista Premium :eek:

apple have been saying since kingdom come
before tiger, they said tiger will bring better multi core
then tiger came and look still the same shit
they then promise leopard
same shit
and they promise snow leopard
snow is white and screen of death of apple is white
surely a failure in better multi core
some people already tried the snow leopard
there are zero rumors that there will be significant multi core performance
high clock speed is still king

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
same shit

Better wait till LION comes out

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
same shit

apple laptops are full of crock, only for those who doesn't know jackshit about performance. don't believe the bs that the admin is spewing. he's a mac prostitute.

i was shopping for a laptop for gaming and wanted to buy an apple. the specs totally disappointed me. can't even run a popular mmporpg game decently without lag. i settled for an asus with a powerful nvidia chip. even the high end sony and hp laptops don't come close.

however, i agree with the admin that microsoft is a house of shit.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
apple laptops are full of crock, only for those who doesn't know jackshit about performance. don't believe the bs that the admin is spewing. he's a mac prostitute.

i was shopping for a laptop for gaming and wanted to buy an apple. the specs totally disappointed me. can't even run a popular mmporpg game decently without lag. i settled for an asus with a powerful nvidia chip. even the high end sony and hp laptops don't come close.

it should be mac pimp. :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

both apple and microsoft software are shitty, i have icore7 with 12 GB RAM, overclock 4GHz. None of the os can make use of the power of icore7.

i regret buying 12GB now.
i should have stick to 6GB.

imovie crunching all the video and how much memory and cpu percentage it use? a joke.
i

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i was shopping for a laptop for gaming and wanted to buy an apple. the specs totally disappointed me.

The Mac is not a gaming box. It isn't suitable for geeks who do nothing but fiddle with their machines either.

Macs are used by those who want computers that work reliably so they can use the computers to create stuff and earn a living.

An example of typical Mac user is Mr Brown. He needs to generate content for his site. There are articles to write, podcasts that need to be created, edited, dubbed, mixed and tweaked with a deadline to meet. Mac OS X comes with all the tools needed for this sort of work built in and to top it all, everything works reliably.

http://www.mrbrown.com/about.html
I have been an Apple user since 1990. During that time, I have owned a Mac SE, a Mac SE/30, a Mac IIcx, a Mac LCII that became a Mac LC475 later, a Mac IIfx, a Performa 550, a Mac Centris 660AV, a Mac Quadra 840AV, a Mac PowerMac 8100/80, a Powerbook G3 Pismo, and an Aluminium 15" PowerBook G4. There are probably some Macs I missed in that list, because there was a time I had a new Mac every 3 months. I even owned a Newton 110.

My podcast studio currently has an eMac 1.25 GHz with 1.25GB of ram, a 17-inch iMac G5 1.9GHz iSight with 1.5GB of ram and 160GB HDD, a 20-inch iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz with 2GB of ram and 250GB HDD, a white Macbook Intel Core Duo 2GHz with 2GB of ram and 120GB HDD, and four external hard drives totaling 4TB of storage. I use a green Razer Copperhead mouse with a white eXact Mat. My wife uses a iMac G5. They both run off a Linksys BEFSR41 Linksys WRT54G Router with a WRE54G Range Expander that is also giving Internet access to 2 Xboxes and a homemade PC (MSI 865PE NEO2-PLS motherboard, Pentium 4 2.8C, 1Gb PC3200 DDR400 CL2.5 Dual Channel memory, Gainward Nvidia 5900XT 128MB video card, Soundblaster Live sound card, Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 speakers, 200Gb+ 80GB HDD, Sony 52XCDRW, TDK 16/12Dual Layer DVD-RW, all inside a black aluminium Cooler Master Centurion V casing with side window. I also have a Samsung SyncMaster 710T LCD monitor via DVI, a Logitech LX700 Wireless keyboard and a Razer Diamondback Plasma Limited Edition mouse with Razer eXact Mat). The PC is for games only, and yes, it is getting old.