• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anybody going to NZ?

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I definitely took a leap already but my family couldn't make the cut. My 400 plus dollars was gone but i learnt. Thats why want to wait and got another place for the family for now while i try again next year when my family and wife finish upgrading their paper qualification.

I will then sell the place in SG, migrate and get out the CPF money and settle in NZ. When i am visiting relatives and family in SG, i can still stay in JB and have my folks stay in JB if NZ is not suitable for them. At least they have somewhere near to SG.

I have put the intentions earlier in this forum and have looked at several options in NZ but Auckland seems the most suitable in terms of the work as well as it being more "receptive" to foreigners from what i understand.

What do you mean your family could not make the cut? What paper qualifications? Thanks =)

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Auckland is no more "receptive of foreigners" than any other city or town in NZ.

Foreigners find it easier to find jobs in Auckland simply because there are more jobs available. 30% of the NZ population reside in the greater Auckland region.

can you share with us the cost of living in NZ. How much is an average landed ppty with 3 rooms near city ; say less than 50km.
What is the cost of making an application to migrate with family. What sort of jobs are in demand ?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What do you mean your family could not make the cut? What paper qualifications? Thanks =)

The points we exceeded but some of the qualifications my wife had were deemed not "recognised" and so after deducting, although we just barely clear it, they didn't give it to us.

U

UpYoz_olo

I definitely took a leap already but my family couldn't make the cut. My 400 plus dollars was gone but i learnt. Thats why want to wait and got another place for the family for now while i try again next year when my family and wife finish upgrading their paper qualification.

I will then sell the place in SG, migrate and get out the CPF money and settle in NZ. When i am visiting relatives and family in SG, i can still stay in JB and have my folks stay in JB if NZ is not suitable for them. At least they have somewhere near to SG.

I have put the intentions earlier in this forum and have looked at several options in NZ but Auckland seems the most suitable in terms of the work as well as it being more "receptive" to foreigners from what i understand.

I really have doubts about the paper qualifications that your family have. Come on, NZ is easier to get in than say Oz so there must be serious problems with those toilet papers. Stay put here lah. By the time you get all the papers, your age may have disqualify you anyway.

:oIo:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I really have doubts about the paper qualifications that your family have. Come on, NZ is easier to get in than say Oz so there must be serious problems with those toilet papers. Stay put here lah. By the time you get all the papers, your age may have disqualify you anyway.

Oh its a couple of things, i didn't want to get a job first before moving and my wife isn't working now so your points would be much higher if you get a job first and then apply. We don't have anyone we know and didn't study there but we would try again, this time with stuff more inline with what they want, we will not stop trying.

If i didn't know that you have good intentions, i would have thought i saw a crab. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither should you." The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Singly, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to "pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of jealousy or competitive feelings.

This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to "escape" a so-called "underprivileged life", but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

By the way, i hope you are truly happy in SG.
To more good years ahead, the golden age has arrived!

Some will say the only things that has arrived are:
Flooding/mass invasion/failing infrastructure

But then, who am i to distract anyone from the vanilla sky. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
can you share with us the cost of living in NZ. How much is an average landed ppty with 3 rooms near city ; say less than 50km.
What is the cost of making an application to migrate with family. What sort of jobs are in demand ?

Good questions!! :smile:

U

UpYoz_olo

Oh its a couple of things, i didn't want to get a job first before moving and my wife isn't working now so your points would be much higher if you get a job first and then apply. We don't have anyone we know and didn't study there but we would try again, this time with stuff more inline with what they want, we will not stop trying.

If i didn't know your good intentions, i would have thought i saw a crab. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither should you." The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Singly, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to "pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of jealousy or competitive feelings.

This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to "escape" a so-called "underprivileged life", but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success.

Now, that's uncalled for. I'm traveling on an Oz passport friend, so I know what I'm talking. Seriously, try somewhere else where your chances are higher.

However, you have every right to be stubborn.

U

UpYoz_olo

Now, that's uncalled for. I'm traveling on an Oz passport friend, so I know what I'm talking. Seriously, try somewhere else where your chances are higher.

Should you still have doubts, let me tell you I have play at the various golf courses in NZ:
Muriwai Golf Club
Waitakeres Golf Club
North Shore Golf Club
Pakuranga Golf Club
Formosa Golf Club
Aviation Golf Club
Pukekohe Golf Club
Peninsula Golf Club
South Head Golf Club
The Grange Golf Club
Helensvile Golf Club
Gulf Harbour Golf Club
St Andrew Golf Club in Hamilton
Arrowton Golf Club
Clearwater Golf Club
Titirangi Golf Club
plus many other that I can't recall now.

And member of:
Waitakeres Golf Club
Muriwai Golf Club
(note: both yearly memberships)

An ordinary Sgporean tourists to NZ will unlikely to have walk that many courses in NZ that I have.

Convinced???

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

A reasonably good suburb close to Auckland is Pukekohe.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/residen...uburb_id=15957&min_price=0&max_price=99000000

NZD350,000 can get you a very nice, cozy 3 bedroom home.

Cars are around $5000 to $10,000
Road tax about $350 per year.
Car insurance is optional but I would advise at least 3rd party insurance.

Without a mortgage, you can easily enjoy life on around $500 per week of spending money.

When you first arrive, I suggest getting a temp job. The pay is pretty good as NZ has a minimum wage of $12.75 per hour. Your wife can do the same.

Once you're familiar with your surroundings, you can start looking around which is better suited to your talents. However, I would recommend buying a franchise of some sort as the money is a lot better and you can set your own working hours.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
A reasonably good suburb close to Auckland is Pukekohe.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/residen...uburb_id=15957&min_price=0&max_price=99000000

When you first arrive, I suggest getting a temp job. The pay is pretty good as NZ has a minimum wage of $12.75 per hour. Your wife can do the same.

Once you're familiar with your surroundings, you can start looking around which is better suited to your talents. However, I would recommend buying a franchise of some sort as the money is a lot better and you can set your own working hours.

Thanks for sharing. That is quite a pay cut ! Sound like doing your own biz is better than working for others but with a no knowledge of running biz, it is quite a high risk in view of limited $ resource when you are there alone with family; a huge step to take !

Any thing to add on medical insurance and student fee in NZ ?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

My apologies in that case, we almost made it, i want to try to bring them over as well which makes it harder. I wanted to try AU but seems a lot of negative flak plus i have friends over there who are saying its pretty bad so trying NZ. Will try again and see what happens.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My apologies in that case, we almost made it, i want to try to bring them over as well which makes it harder. I wanted to try AU but seems a lot of negative flak plus i have friends over there who are saying its pretty bad so trying NZ. Will try again and see what happens.

" I wanted to try AU but seems a lot of negative flak plus i have friends over there who are saying its pretty bad so trying NZ"

If you are serious looking to settle down PERMANENTLY in another country and not just getting a 2nd passport then ......

Sorry to spoil your joy, but you have not almost made it ..... yet.

I am moving from OZ to NZ and my understanding is that there are the same amount of "negative flak" in NZ as well, just that NZ is under-reported.

I am moving not because I dislike Perth but I want a change of environment.

It is after the "honeymoon" period in your adopted country that you can really conclude whether you have "made it".

You have to manage the EXPECTATION aspect of your move and have some idea of whether NZ will suit your personality, etc.

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
The points we exceeded but some of the qualifications my wife had were deemed not "recognised" and so after deducting, although we just barely clear it, they didn't give it to us.

I though the EOI is based on the merits of the applicant himself. The partner/spouse's qualifications will just be "bonus" points.

Do you know the process once the EOI has been approved? How long do we have before we must "land" and how long till we get permanent status in NZ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks for sharing. That is quite a pay cut ! Sound like doing your own biz is better than working for others but with a no knowledge of running biz, it is quite a high risk in view of limited $ resource when you are there alone with family; a huge step to take !

Any thing to add on medical insurance and student fee in NZ ?

That's why buying a franchise is the way to go.

Medical insurance is available from Southern Cross. You can choose a plan that best suits your needs and your budget.

I don't know anything about student fees. I have never been a student in NZ.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal

How much/long does it cost/take to go through the whole process of applying and getting PR for your family ?

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the point of this forum then? We are asking people who have been through the process information that is not available on the internet.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What is the point of this forum then? We are asking people who have been through the process information that is not available on the internet.

The point of this forum is to steer you in the right direction and provide links to relevant websites.

Official websites provide the most up-to-date information. Once you have digested the contents, you are most welcome to seek clarification on specific issues that you're not sure about.