• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

3 in 10 scholars polled say they're unhappy

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,199442,00.html?

3 in 10 scholars polled say they're unhappy
Unreasonable employers or ungrateful scholars? Lack of dialogue and unrealistic expectations cited as reasons
By Tay Shi'an and Ng Tze Yong

April 20, 2009

IF THEY can turn back the clock, three in 10 scholarship-holders said they would not have signed on the dotted line.

This is one of the results from a random poll of 70 conducted by The New Paper on Sunday.

More than one third also admitted that they have, at one point or another, seriously considered breaking their bond.

Yes, they agree their present job fits the description they were given. And yes, three-quarters said they were sure or very sure about their scholarship when they signed on, and are generally happy with their jobs.

So why do they have second thoughts?

For John (not his real name), a PSC scholar who broke his bond, the fault lies with an education system that 'is sculpted to create scholarships as the end-goal of the schooling process.'

Peter (not his real name), a local PSC scholarship-holder suggested that only postgraduate scholarships be offered. Either that, or there should be a longer selection process, he said.

Added Ms Ana Ismail-Ow, a 33-year-old editor who served out a bond with the Ministry of Education: 'The importance of career guidance, while present in schools, is severely understated.'

The scholars who took part in our poll were randomly selected and have since completed their studies. This means they would either be serving or have finished serving their bonds.

They come from various organisations and, given the sensitivity of the issue, were given the option of anonymity.

Although far from conclusive, the poll does offer a glimpse into the mind of the Singaporean scholarship-holder.

The death of Captain (Dr) Allan Ooi last month had stirred up public debate that still simmers on today.

Capt (Dr) Ooi, 27, a Republic of Singapore Air Force medical officer, was serving a 12-year medicine scholarship bond and a three-year bond for an aviation medicine course that ran concurrently. Last year, he went absent without official leave (AWOL) for five months and was later found dead in Melbourne.

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in conducting an inquiry into his death. Meanwhile, the questions about the SAF's policies for scholarship-holders lingers, spilling over into Parliament last week.

Members of Parliament wanted to know: What can Singapore do about the unhappiness of its brightest young talent?

Human resource experts urged companies to take a hard look at themselves.

Singapore Management University's Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Tan Hwee Hoon said that organisations should provide realistic job previews to scholars before they sign the agreement.

Scholars would then know what to expect when they start work. This would go a long way to ensuring a good fit between the scholar and the job.

To avoid the unhappy scholar trap, the organisation should also engage constantly in two-way dialogue to ensure everything is on track, said Mr David Ang, executive director of the Singapore Human Resources Institute.

He said: 'There must be some feedback or tracking mechanism. It could be regular dialogue with HR, the supervisor, mentor or buddy, to determine how the scholar is performing.'

It's when the communication breaks down that trouble starts, said Mr Ang.

This could happen if, for example, the scholar's request is unreasonable and he does not understand the constraints of the organisation.

Or when the scholar feels he's being given meaningless work and brings this up, but the company does nothing about it.

Mr Ang said that in such cases, the sponsoring organisation must look into what is expected of scholars upon their return and give them ample avenues to provide feedback.

Agreeing, a government scholar, 28, who studied economics in the United States, said: 'If many scholars from an organisation are leaving, there's most probably a systemic problem with its handling of talent that needs to be resolved, rather than try to apply moral pressure to retain them.'

Mr Freddy Kee, a retired civil servant, has 38 years of experience in the education field.

When asked whether there is too much pressure on students to aim for scholarships, he said: 'There is pressure in any organisation. Even a waiter working in a food court faces pressure. Society tends to take pressure as an excuse. The word is overused.'

Alex (not his real name), a secondary school principal who preferred to remain anonymous because of the sensitivities involved, agreed.

'You can take a loan if you don't like a bond. But even if you do, you may still complain that there is interest to pay, and that there's no guaranteed job at the end of it all,' he said.

He added that Singaporean youths should be more appreciative of the system.

But some scholars pointed out that at the end of the day, it may all boil down to luck.

'Whether you are happy or unhappy also depends on who your boss is too, doesn't it?' said Alex.

Additional reporting by: Darren Foong, Pearly Tan, Joanna Hor, Ervina Mohd Jamil, Audrey Tan, Han Yongming, Naveen Kanagalingam, Geraldine Yeo, newsroom interns.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,199441,00.html?

How a scholar made his peace
By Ng Tze Yong

April 20, 2009

THE winters in Rhode Island in the United States, are not pretty.

They are rainy, windy and freezing. I never liked them.

But in Jan 2005, for the first time, I wished spring would never come.

It was my final semester at Brown University. I was a few short months from graduating and starting my six-year bond at Singapore Press Holdings.

In my head, I knew what I had signed up for and that I had more to be grateful for than to complain about.

But...

There was always that 'but'.

For months, it hung over me like a wistfulness as I watched my friends ponder their life after graduation.

It festered as anxiety and helplessness, as I watched the clock count down.

But one night, just two days before I was due to fly home, I was sitting by myself in the university square, content to wallow in self-pity, when I found my peace.

I looked back on the four years I had spent in an Ivy League university, a place I would never have been able to afford.

On my summer breaks, I had the chance to teach photography to Gypsy youths in Kosovo, study Arabic in Lebanon and volunteer at a soccer league for Somali refugees in London. I had backpacked most of Europe and driven across America.

The scholarship gave me more than I could ask for.

It felt terrible, to know that the fairy tale was coming to an end. But that night, I realised that for the same reasons why I left Singapore, I now had to go home.

However much I've seen in the past four years, my experience would not be complete unless I did.

For as much as it was enriching, my time overseas was disorientating. The more I saw, the lesser I was sure of who I was, where I came from and where I stood.

In short, I needed to connect my new experiences with my past.

In the four years since that night, this was, thankfully, exactly what happened.

The euphoria and light-headedness of my undergraduate experiences gave way to a deeper understanding of the world - and myself.

I gained the distance to reflect.

Part of this was, of course, the process of growing up.

But I also wonder how different things would have been if I had struck lottery, broken my bond and stayed overseas.

I believe I would be forever chasing the exotic, addicted to fleeting new experiences, perhaps as a substitute for a loss of rootedness and identity.

By coming home, I grew just as much, if not more, than during undergraduate years.

I have interviewed retired samsui women and spent the night backstage with a wayang troupe on their swansong performance.

At the same time, I have gone on overseas assignments to interview Hamas in the West Bank and victims of the Pakistan earthquake in 2005.

In contrast to my undergraduate days, the more I see, the more I'm sure of who I am, where I'm from and where I stand now.

So nowadays, I refused to accept that the best time of my life was my time at Brown, and that it was over.

I tell myself to make the future even better.

Ng Tze Yong is an SPH overseas scholar who studied at Brown University

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,199439,00.html?

Scholars as foreign brides
By Tay Shi'an

April 20, 2009

SIGNING up for a scholarship is like entering a marriage.

Some scholars go into it like foreign brides - they need the money, never mind doubts about the man.

They are so eager (or desperate) for the better life that they marry him anyway.

When things don't turn out the way they expected, whose fault is it?

I'll start with the 'grooms'.

In a perfect world, it's a win-win situation. Scholars are set for stardom, and companies get the best talent - the belles of the ball.

At the wooing stage, the organisations present themselves as Prince Charming, willing and able to offer the belles everything they are looking for.

But once the contract is signed, some companies treat their scholars like foreign brides.

They feel they 'own' the scholar. Because they paid for her education and living expenses, they feel entitled to ask her to do whatever they want, without considering what she wants.

This may sound extreme, but how different is it from Capt (Dr) Allan Ooi's case?

Here was a fully-trained medical doctor asked to write newsletters and organise ad hoc events.

Herein lies the flaw of the marriage analogy. Why are some giving a scholarship contract the same level of sanctity as a marriage agreement?

There are no children involved. No ugly dividing of friends and assets. So why was Dr Ooi not permitted a 'divorce' except under 'exceptional' circumstances?

Then again, it would not be fair to 'blame' Mindef for Dr Ooi's death. With all respect to his family, the decision to end his life was his own.

But his intense unhappiness over how the 'marriage' had turned out ought to be given greater consideration - by Mindef and other scholarship managers.

Of course, 'brides' should take responsibility too.

For the diva brides: Are your expectations too high, too unrealistic? Are you unwilling to compromise? Are you so fixated on your groom's flaws that you fail to see the good? Are you so upset about letting other Prince Charmings go by that you spend all your time wallowing?

In short, are you the one who is a bad wife?

Like a true marriage, scholars and their organisations should meet as equals, each bringing something to the table, going in with their eyes open, willing to make compromises, and communicate.

It's hard work. But the reward is happy, fruitful unions, fulfilling the essence of what scholarships should be about.

Tay Shi'an is an SPH local scholar who studied at the National University of Singapore

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
7 of of 10 scholars are happy. It can't get much better than that.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The scholarship board never think. They give scholarship so early. 4 Years then graduate. By then the contracted position may not be viable or necessary any more. Economy change a lot these days. Then, the person change in 4 years also. 4 years ago like to do events, 4 years later may like to make sweets. How?

Stagger the scholarship. Pay only half the fees, half give loan. But contract only 1 year. If after 1 year service both like each other, then refund the rest of the half fees and any allowances. Then sigh 5 year contract. So much better.

jw5

Loyal
The scholarship board never think. They give scholarship so early. 4 Years then graduate. By then the contracted position may not be viable or necessary any more. Economy change a lot these days. Then, the person change in 4 years also. 4 years ago like to do events, 4 years later may like to make sweets. How?

Stagger the scholarship. Pay only half the fees, half give loan. But contract only 1 year. If after 1 year service both like each other, then refund the rest of the half fees and any allowances. Then sigh 5 year contract. So much better.
The scholars should stop whining.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
7 of of 10 scholars are happy. It can't get much better than that.

I think the 7 were being diplomatic (and perhaps playing some realpolitick). Everyone I known who's on a 6-12 yr bond has either broken their bond, resigned to their fate & pretty unhappy about it, or trying their best to activate the LD clause in their contract ASAP.

Cheers,
Trout

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
th_thumbnail-Singapore20Prime20ministe.jpg

I scholar and beri happy leh! *ha*ha*ha*

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
'You can take a loan if you don't like a bond. But even if you do, you may still complain that there is interest to pay, and that there's no guaranteed job at the end of it all,' he said.

take what loan?!?!?! banks will only loan up to 2x the monthly salary of 2 guarantors. where got enough to finance overseas studies? fcuking dumb principal, no wonder he don;t dare to give real name.