• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

安邦酿豆腐 chased customer when boy eats chicken rice from next-door

mee_siam_hum

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=225+East+Coast+Road+Singapore&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=225+E+Coast+Rd,+Singapore+428922&amp;ll=1.30759,103.907213&amp;spn=0.015724,0.006641&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=1.307587,103.907238&amp;panoid=Woh45CJXD7IeqAJKZ-Er7w&amp;cbp=12,293.51,,2,8.91&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=225+East+Coast+Road+Singapore&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=225+E+Coast+Rd,+Singapore+428922&amp;ll=1.30759,103.907213&amp;spn=0.015724,0.006641&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=1.307587,103.907238&amp;panoid=Woh45CJXD7IeqAJKZ-Er7w&amp;cbp=12,293.51,,2,8.91" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=Woh45CJXD7IeqAJKZ-Er7w&cbp=12,293.51,,2,8.91

拒绝调上“人情味” 的酿豆腐专卖店

It was a perfect November afternoon as I looked forward to the impending year-end travel. With my 14-year-old child whose school holidays have started, I picked up my 12-year-old from school and decided to eat lunch at Ampang Niang Tou Fu (安邦酿豆腐located at 225 East Coast Road).

Little did I know that this simple decision for my craving for niang doufu (stuffed bean curd) would end up in an ugly revelation in the next 20 minutes, of the most un-customer-centric proprietor in the Joo Chiat / East Coast vicinity that I have lived and known for the past four decades, leaving me in rude shock for the rest of the day.

The problem started when my younger boy decided he preferred chicken rice.

While I sat down in this simple, no-fuss shop with my older boy waiting for our order to be served, my younger son came in with his packed chicken rice which he bought from the coffee shop a couple of units away. He did not want to eat alone. Mindful of the feeling of most food sellers but not wanting to reject my son’s desire to be with us, I told him to eat in such a way that the table would not be dirtied. He began eating sheepishly.

Sure enough, moments later, the waitress came and told me my son was not allowed to consume his food in their shop. I asked if she wanted my son to stand on the common pavement outside to eat his lunch? When she said it was her boss' instruction, I told her to send the boss to discuss with me.

While I understand it is not appropriate for teenagers and older persons to eat food bought elsewhere, surely this not-very-customer-friendly rule could be bent a little for younger children who are best not left out of the parents’ sight. Perhaps the boss had children himself and would be more understanding from a parents’ standpoint.

I soon found out how wrong and naïve I was.

Half a minute later, a man came to my table. I suppose he was the boss. In a plain and straight-forward manner, he declared to me that my lunch order had been cancelled! He put some money into my hand and seemed very at ease that he had just displayed the most fatal behaviour considered by the majority of the Singapore service industry - being absolutely un-customer-centric and inflexible.

I was appalled to find that in this friendly neighbourhood which I know inside out, there exists such an unfriendly shop that would not allow a child to eat food bought elsewhere while his family eats what it sells. Standing in front of me was this man who held on to his ‘No Outside Food Allowed’ rule to the extent of risking the reputation of his business.

His display of pettiness and arrogance put me in great disbelief that in a competitive neighbourhood known to have many interesting eateries that attract customers from near and far, he could afford to turn away customers in such a manner based on such an insignificant issue and have no qualms whatsoever!

I told him in the face I really ‘admire’ his courage and business ethics.

Later, walking outside the shop, I could only took comfort from what a next-door shop owner said when she heard me complaining: I was not the only customer to be treated badly by the owner of this eatery. Not long ago, there was a similar incident when a child was refused the enjoyment of a packet drink brought in. The parent had a big quarrel with the boss. The boss told them to leave without collecting payment for the half-consumed food.

Perhaps the grass root leaders of Joo Chiat could pay this Ampang Niang Tou Fu shop a visit and try to sway its hostility towards customers in order to maintain a good image for this constituency! Otherwise, it is best for this shop to go extinct lest it stands in the way of a nation that is building up a healthy system of service excellence.

A copy of today’s The Business Times featuring the special report on Business Excellence laid on my table as I draft this write-up. One of the 10 key attributes of the business excellence framework is Customer-centric excellence. Ironical? Maybe.

KKP

12 Nov 2010

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure enough, moments later, the waitress came and told me my son was not allowed to consume his food in their shop. I asked if she wanted my son to stand on the common pavement outside to eat his lunch? When she said it was her boss' instruction, I told her to send the boss to discuss with me.

Why can't she just stop her child from eating, say sorry, eat whatever is left of her food and get out? Diner a little kwai lan IMHO. You go somewhere to eat, respect that venue's rules.[/COLOR]

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
....Perhaps the grass root leaders of Joo Chiat could pay this Ampang Niang Tou Fu shop a visit and try to sway its hostility towards customers in order to maintain a good image for this constituency! Otherwise, it is best for this shop to go extinct lest it stands in the way of a nation that is building up a healthy system of service excellence.

KKP

12 Nov 2010

Customer is kwai lan, the shop staff are lau lan. If all customers like this fellow, bring food from outside, then how? Shop staff could be friendlier in explaining the situation.

But whatever it is, this is a Commerical (and personal) dispute, why the f**k should the customer (name KKP) KPKB and ask grassroot to be involved? Not happy, just dun eat there the next time!!!

Going by KKP logic, next time if customers are not happy with McDonalds, then ask Obama to interfere?

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what PAP called our "Special circumstances."

So in Spore,we have shop owners who are nasty to customers but in private,quite nice people if you know them.

I believe that it is due to the rather difficult circumstances for a normal bloke to make a decent living here
So,I agree with PAP that Spore is different in this respect,I would not do what I agree with the writer the very normal and reasonable thing that a customer expect.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
This person doesn't know that in many countries, including US, they even have signs saying: We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone

http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/20060616_the_right_to_refuse_service_to_anyone.htm

The person was in the wrong in the first place, trying to bend their house law to her will and insisted on doing it her way. The owner could have been nicer though but well within his right to ask her to clear off.

In this case, the owner should tell her, You have been served...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Customer is kwai lan, the shop staff are lau lan. If all customers like this fellow, bring food from outside, then how? Shop staff could be friendlier in explaining the situation.

But whatever it is, this is a Commerical (and personal) dispute, why the f**k should the customer (name KKP) KPKB and ask grassroot to be invloved? Not happy, just dun eat there next time!!!

Going by KKP logic, next time if customers are not happy with McDonalds, then ask Obama to interfere?

The writer did not realise that it is common understanding no outside food is allowed in the shops. When you read the article again, see how the writer used the words "Sheepishly" "Mindful of the feelings of the food owner" "pettiness" "arrogance" "admire his business ethics"

Writer in the wrong yet can say until the food seller is at fault

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be cases when someone in a group has special diet needs (e.g. diabetic) and pack food in tupperware. When eating at restaurant, they should inform the boss/manager of this situation and I am sure s/he will oblige since it is still business from the rest. In this case, the daddy shouldn't take for granted that the joint will allow, he should have asked first.

My two cents.

Anyway, this yong-tau-foo shop doesn't allow you to pick what ya want right? Also, wtf should something supposedly "healthy" like yong tau foo be fried? Shows how much people think with their stomach.

Bon apetit.

whorejinx

Alfrescian
Loyal

But whatever it is, this is a Commerical (and personal) dispute, why the f**k should the customer (name KKP) KPKB and ask grassroot to be invloved? Not happy, just dun eat there next time!!!

In a family meal you can not easily expect every member to like to eat the same thing at every meal. Some times a kid will say "mom I like to eat that instead." That is were the problem begins. As parents it is hard to get everyone to agree or compromise every time. The issue is you don't mess up the shop badly by eating the stuff you brought in, and if the shop is HALAL you don't eat pork!

Correct or not?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
We must first understand why the writer is writing this to shame the shop.

Everyone gets to eat the yong tau hoo while he didn't get to eat it because the owner doesn't want to take his business. Everyone gets accepted while he gets rejected. That is why he took up the pen to voice his displeasure:p

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a family meal you can not easily expect every member to like to eat the same thing at every meal. Some times a kid will say "mom I like to eat that instead." That is were the problem begins. As parents it is hard to get everyone to agree or compromise every time. The issue is you don't mess up the shop badly by eating the stuff you brought in, and if the shop is HALAL you don't eat pork!

Correct or not?

If you break your rules for 1 patron, what about the rest of the patrons who are in the shop? When they see what happened, in future, their kids would just tapow mc, kfc, chicken rice, wantan mee, duck rice and all eat at that shop while they just need to order 1 bowl of yong tau hoo. If the owner ask them why, they can just say last time you allow people eat chicken rice here, why now cannot?:o

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IMHO the customer should have asked for permission first, basic courtesy. Even if the shop reject her request, I dun think they would be so nasty if she had asked beforehand.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah kkp ...

u shud simply tabao ze yong tow fool n eat wif ur young son @ dat chicken rice kopi tiam ...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO the customer should have asked for permission first, basic courtesy. Even if the shop reject her request, I dun think they would be so nasty if she had asked beforehand.

if the writer got some basic courtesy, he would have packed the chicken rice up when the waitress told him that outside food is not allowed. Instead sit there and argue ask boss to come out. The boss hear already don't even bother to argue, just go over put the money in his hand. Tell him don't want do his business:p

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Correct or not?

True, then parents should choose to go to places that serve a variety of food like foodcourt or Hawker Centre or restuarant and not a shop that sell solely yong tau foo.

Btw, is also a matter of managing our kids!

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Later, walking outside the shop, I could only took comfort from what a next-door shop owner said when she heard me complaining: I was not the only customer to be treated badly by the owner of this eatery. Not long ago, there was a similar incident when a child was refused the enjoyment of a packet drink brought in. The parent had a big quarrel with the boss. The boss told them to leave without collecting payment for the half-consumed food.

wahlaneh...
good idea leh!
tomorrow i go with frenz to eat his yongtaufoo then get someone to buy some packet drinks from outside then can eat free there liao lor.:biggrin:

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their YTF is fried and comes in a plate with rather little soup, i always had to ask for extra bowl of soup.

Recently heard from colleague they will not add soup for you, colleague offered to pay for an extra bowl of soup they refused as well.

I used to frequent this place but have stopped after hearing all the bad publicity. Clearly the owner got some shit stuck in his brain.

If this happens to me i will throw my dog's shit into the restaurant!