• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Worth upgrading to Win 7?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thinking of updating from XP to Win 7 but after the fiasco with Vista I've waited until others have had a go :smile:

So would you recommend the upgrade? Particularly if someone is using an i7 with 4GB of RAM :confused:

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
just a little enhancement over Vista...i have been using Vista without problem and not as reported....the fact is problems arose usually after patching, e.g., such as missing folder name when viewing in thumbnail.

i tried both FULL installation and upgrade without any problem.

However the real problem u will experience is IE 8.

Private Message me for more detail.

Thinking of updating from XP to Win 7 but after the fiasco with Vista I've waited until others have had a go :smile:

So would you recommend the upgrade? Particularly if someone is using an i7 with 4GB of RAM :confused:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

win7 is actually win vista with all the bugs fixes....:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
win7 is actually win vista with all the bugs fixes....:biggrin:

All new OS's have bugs thats why I'm still using XP since its old but stable :smile:

Quite happy with XP but have upgraded to a new i7 processor & wondering if the Win 7 provides provides any advantages.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However the real problem u will experience is IE 8.

In case you missed the latest news on IE :smile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8465038.stm

France joins Germany warning against Internet Explorer
By Jonathan Fildes
Technology reporter, BBC News

Cliff Evans of Microsoft says IE8 is more secure than other browsers

France has echoed calls by the German government for web users to find an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) to protect security.

Certa, a government agency that oversees cyber threats, warned against using all versions of the web browser.

Germany warned users on Friday after malicious code - implicated in attacks on Google - was published online.

But Microsoft told BBC News that IE8 was the "most secure browser on the market" and people should upgrade.

Cliff Evans, head of security and privacy, said that so far the firm had only seen malicious code that targeted the older version of its browser, IE6.

"The risk is minimal," he said.

For a web user to be affected, he said, they would have to be using IE6 and visit a compromised website.

"There are very few of them out there," he told BBC News.

However, if this did occur, a PC could become infected with a "trojan horse", allowing a hacker to take control of the computer and potentially steal sensitive information.

'Sophisticated attack'

Although the vulnerability has so far been exploited only in IE6, security researchers warned that could soon change.

"Microsoft themselves admit there is a vulnerability, even in IE8," said Graham Cluley of security firm Sophos.

This terrible piece of PR for Microsoft comes just as the IE browser which had almost total control of the market starts to come under pressure...
Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC technology correspondent

Has China helped Google in the browser wars?

Mr Cluley said that because details of the exploit were now available online, hackers could soon change the code to target other versions of the browser.

He warned web users to be careful about clicking on links in unsolicited e-mails and advised all web users to upgrade their browser to the latest version, no matter which software they used.

The advice follows revelations that a "targeted and sophisticated" attack on Google exploited the vulnerability.

Google said last week that an attack on its corporate network had targeted the e-mail accounts of human rights activists.

The attack led Google to announce that it might withdraw from China, after it revealed that the attacks had probably originated in the country.

Following the news, Germany's Federal Office for Information Security issued a warning against all versions of Internet Explorer and recommended that users switch to an alternative such as Firefox or Google's Chrome.

The French agency Certa issued a similar warning.

"Pending a patch from the publisher, Certa recommends using an alternative browser," it said.

The UK government had said that it would not issue a similar warning. However, it said the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI)was "monitoring the situation" and would "publish further advice if the risks change".

Patch path

But Mr Evans said that calls to change browsers were "not very helpful".

"If you look at other browsers, it's likely they will have other vulnerabilities," he said.
Chinese computer user
The vulnerability was found to be used in an attack on Google

He pointed to a report by security firm NSS Labs reportedly showing that IE8 provided better security against phishing and malware than other browsers.

"We feel strongly that IE8 is most secure browser on the market," Mr Evans said.

His advice was echoed by Mr Cluley.

"Switching away will get away from this particular problem," he told BBC News. "But all browsers have security flaws."

Mr Cluley said that switching away from IE could create other problems, particularly for companies.

"Some web-based applications may not work at all if you're not using Internet Explorer."

Microsoft is currently working on a patch for the problem, but a spokesperson said it could not commit to a timeframe.

The firm traditionally releases a security update once a month - the next scheduled patch will be ready on 9 February.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
All new OS's have bugs thats why I'm still using XP since its old but stable :smile:

Quite happy with XP but have upgraded to a new i7 processor & wondering if the Win 7 provides provides any advantages.

Not much difference except the shallow appearance changes....

Try to install Ubuntu or MAC OS X and enjoy a completely new experience!! :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Try to install Ubuntu or MAC OS X and enjoy a completely new experience!! :biggrin:

Have to agree that Macs are more interesting :smile:
PCs are alot of bother to use & keep secure. Only reason I have PCs is to run stuff not available on Macs.

Was planning to wait until later this year before deciding on a replacement for my iBook.

Other than the new tablet rumoured to be announced on Jan 27th there will of course be updates to the Mac line & hopefully more SW will be written to take advantage of Snow Leopard.

Its going to be an interesting year for Apple.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NO
windows 7 have what things that xp does not have?

other than xp is old, and windows 7 is young. I do less in windows 7, because my scanner does not have a windows 7 drivers, and and only work on windows xp.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NO
windows 7 have what things that xp does not have?

other than xp is old, and windows 7 is young. I do less in windows 7, because my scanner does not have a windows 7 drivers, and and only work on windows xp.

The more expensive versions of Win 7, Professional & Ultimate, can run in XP mode. I'm surprise that there is incompatibility problems in an "upgrade".

Are you by chance using any one of these 2 more expensive version:confused:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

That's like asking whether it's worthwhile switching from cow dung to horse shit.:eek:

Why don't you simply switch to using a proper computer.:rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The more expensive versions of Win 7, Professional & Ultimate, can run in XP mode. I'm surprise that there is incompatibility problems in an "upgrade".

Are you by chance using any one of these 2 more expensive version:confused:

it can run xp mode
but can it uses a 32 bits xp drivers.
the answer is NO.

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never missed this news la bro...

I sharing with u based on own user experience la...

Since u read so much news articles leow then still ask us about whether to upgrade to Windows 7 or not for what leh? LOLx

In case you missed the latest news on IE :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never missed this news la bro...

I sharing with u based on own user experience la...

Since u read so much news articles leow then still ask us about whether to upgrade to Windows 7 or not for what leh? LOLx

I've read about the PROBLEMS with Vista but not so much about Win 7. In fact most of what I've read of 7 are positive. Can't ask my friends because none of them are using 7 :smile:

So I'm surprise there are "issues" with Win 7 other than bugs of course.

I trust "user experience" more than the reviews because magazines are influenced by MS $$$ :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's like asking whether it's worthwhile switching from cow dung to horse shit.:eek:

Why don't you simply switch to using a proper computer.:rolleyes:

PCs make great game machines. :smile:

Can of course use Macs as PCs using Parallel/VM software but I'm running 3 monitors. Getting a Mac Pro is overkill for the PC applications that I'm running.