• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Worth upgrading to Win 7?

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest, OSX also has it's downside la... I am running different OSes on my few laptops n desktops and OSX Tiger on my iMac...

Windows is still much more productive for me...

I've read about the PROBLEMS with Vista but not so much about Win 7. In fact most of what I've read of 7 are positive. Can't ask my friends because none of them are using 7 :smile:

So I'm surprise there are "issues" with Win 7 other than bugs of course.

I trust "user experience" more than the reviews because magazines are influenced by MS $$$ :rolleyes:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need. Unless u want to buy new PC/laptop will come with window 7 .

I see your 'No need', and raise it to 'No point'. I see the pattern that those who bothered to upgrade when their XP is still working properly has got too much time on their hand. I tried the beta on my toshiba and seriously, microsoft just not bringing enough to the table to up my productivity. Others in my office currently on W7 is spending much more $ and time to upgrade sw for compatibility reasons.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be honest, OSX also has it's downside la... I am running different OSes on my few laptops n desktops and OSX Tiger on my iMac...

Windows is still much more productive for me...

I find OS X, Panther, more productive. Since installing it years ago haven't had to do any maintenance :smile:

Whereas with XP got to re-install for various reasons. Also have to periodically de-fragment the hdd.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
XP is being discontiued soon :(

correction: it has been discontued

True, so true. But just because M$ say it's eol doesn't mean it's not viable. I'll just wait till W7 sp1 with hot fixes before I do any 'upgrading'. I am already using a Macbook, so far so good, need XP because certain company sw only come licensed on windows platform.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. I am already using a Macbook, so far so good, need XP because certain company sw only come licensed on windows platform.

I find it interesting that there are many Mac OS users here.
Gone are the days when Mac users were only a minority.

Apple has recently upgraded bootcamp to function with Win 7. Big change from the old days when Apple ignored people who needed to function in a cross platform environment :smile:

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did u also know that first few batches of iMac has faulty LCD component resulting in many got to pay few hundred dollars getting the faulty component replaced... For my case Apple waived the repair charges after much kpkb...

And I needed to send my iMac for hard disk replacement when they first rolled out their faulty bootcamp version 1 with lousy EFI written which corrupted my hard disk...as a result of the corruption and replacement, I needed to re-import my hundreds of CD songs into iTunes again...

That explained why iTunes had been upgraded so frequently and eventually bundled with backup iTunes library features...

OSX had lots of big-case time-wasting maintenance jobs for me k...

Windows I still can re-configure here n there seamlessly...

One word to say about using OSX and it's hardwares:- prestigious and cool to carry around but cannot do much productive stuff unless u want to create music or design stuff but having said that, I am able to design stuff faster on Windows than iMac...

I find it interesting that there are many Mac OS users here.
Gone are the days when Mac users were only a minority.

Apple has recently upgraded bootcamp to function with Win 7. Big change from the old days when Apple ignored people who needed to function in a cross platform environment :smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imac is not the most reliable computer from apple.

especially IMAC 27.

if you perform a search on imac 27, you get lots of unhappy customer.

Did u also know that first few batches of iMac has faulty LCD component resulting in many got to pay few hundred dollars getting the faulty component replaced... For my case Apple waived the repair charges after much kpkb...

And I needed to send my iMac for hard disk replacement when they first rolled out their faulty bootcamp version 1 with lousy EFI written which corrupted my hard disk...as a result of the corruption and replacement, I needed to re-import my hundreds of CD songs into iTunes again...

That explained why iTunes had been upgraded so frequently and eventually bundled with backup iTunes library features...

OSX had lots of big-case time-wasting maintenance jobs for me k...

Windows I still can re-configure here n there seamlessly...

One word to say about using OSX and it's hardwares:- prestigious and cool to carry around but cannot do much productive stuff unless u want to create music or design stuff but having said that, I am able to design stuff faster on Windows than iMac...

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been using win7. so far no prob and fast stable.

win or mac is the same. both are just vying for ur money and whoever get it most will be laughing all the way to the bank. To us end users just only need to use whichever is applicable and suitable to us. So far im quite pleased with win7 and office 2010.

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
See beh hoh bro!!!

Anyway johnny333333333 see beh hao lian leh... Seems like he is telling us he knows alot n play alot of pcs and macs instead of girls leh...

LOLx... Waste my precious time

So, if I already have Vista I do not need to buy in order to run Window 7, just make sure I installed the updates that fixes all the bugs?:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See beh hoh bro!!!

Anyway johnny333333333 see beh hao lian leh... Seems like he is telling us he knows alot n play alot of pcs and macs instead of girls leh...

LOLx... Waste my precious time

I've wasted enough $$$ with the girls lah :smile:

I've had more luck with Apple products but then I avoid newly introduced products. I wait until they work out the problems.

I've been using the Mac since the 90's & seen Apple release some lemons. In the old days product & OS turn around time was longer, allowing Apple to release more trouble free hw & sw.

Everything is now made in China & quality problems with hw are common. :(

Also encounter problems with my PC's. Had problems with HDD, video board, power supply. I only chose branded parts & asemble DIY. Currently waiting for a replacement HDD from Western Digital, they told me it would take 2 weeks. When my power supply failed under warranty I forked out $$ for a replacement rather than wait a couple of weeks for an RMA.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what I see. Why so many idiot go and buy win 7/upgrade which cost more than $200. Better wait and buy PC with touch screen is coming in next 3 month.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Upgrade option for exisiting PCs are only corporate users to consider.

As a home user, regardless of the Windows version, I won't advise you to upgrade, unless you bought a new gadget that won't work and have no other choice.

So, only buy new Window version with new PC.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Upgrade option for exisiting PCs are only corporate users to consider.

As a home user, regardless of the Windows version, I won't advise you to upgrade, unless you bought a new gadget that won't work and have no other choice.

So, only buy new Window version with new PC.

Since I've upgraded my motherboard, its considered a NEW computer. If I want to get Win 7, I must get the retail version & not the update.

Looking at the retail cost of Win 7:
Home $360
Premium $529
Ultimate $549

The cost of getting a retail version of the Home windows is about the same as what I spent on a new motherboard :eek:

I suppose the Microsoft tax is for their innovative & cutting edge technology :biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Upgrade mother board! Upgrade LED monitior with touch screen or not > If not fully upgrade also useless.
Win 7 is slower than XP so stick with it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Upgrade mother board! Upgrade LED monitior with touch screen or not > If not fully upgrade also useless.
Win 7 is slower than XP so stick with it.

If I want a touch screen I would get the soon to be announced iPad, iSlate,.. or whatever Apple decides to call their product :smile:

I'll probably hold back from updating to Win 7 since user's feedback is so so.

dunbluffme

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiya you so smart, high IQ, super careful, clever and soooo IT savvy, soooo many gadgets, I am sure you already know what to do next even without users' feedback one de la......LOLxxx

If I want a touch screen I would get the soon to be announced iPad, iSlate,.. or whatever Apple decides to call their product :smile:

I'll probably hold back from updating to Win 7 since user's feedback is so so.