• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Switching to motorbikes in Singapore ?

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the years, and every year since the fours came into the scene, the ante was upped. It's been 40 decades since the first four banger shocked the world. First it was the CB K and it was like that nothing could beat that, then the Z-1 appeared (that was The King - to me, still is), then Suzuki went four stroke and came out with the GS series, these were the first "civilized" monster bikes, then Yamaha junked their four stroke twins and put out the XS1100, shaft driven! Sg's Traffic Cops got these too and TP riders became si pei laolan. Then came the Suzuki Katanas, then I got too scared. I watched from the side as the Interceptors (these weren't inline 4s, theywere V4), Fazers, Ninjas, Fireblades and Hayabusas came one after another. But I still like the old kick-start two-strokes because these were the bikes me and my friends rode together.

As for the sounds, I don't know - can't really tell. But one thing for sure, I like them all.

Cheers!

Since you are a 2-stroker fan: a special question for you: Do you remember the Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples? Nothing could beat them in a straight line, on a straight road. But in the corners? That was a different matter altogether. Broken leg at the very least: guaranteed! Their handling was terrible!!!!!:eek:

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
talking abt bikes, for spare parts, I often visit Ah boy's shop at Jln Besar. Another notable one if you want to get bikes, Lois motor,owned by a friend's father. But the last time I went to visit,it has shifted out of it's premises at Yishun Ind. Not sure if it's still ard.

Should still be around. Google for it.

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are going the two-wheel avenue, best is get into it seriously, not just commute. Read bike magazines, get to know enthuisiasts, I believe there are bona-fide organizsations these days for enthusiasts. The tips and mindset of enthusiasts bikers will be useful and believe it or not, they are a bunch of blokes more concerned with road safety than your average "commuter."

Take care guy.

Cheers!

Poor man ride to commute and work.

Rich man ride for fun..

Taro Ries

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is perfect for riding. Roads are smooth and pit-free. Weather is not too cold. No strong winds. No snow. No hurricanes. Rain is usually sparodic and manageable with raincoat or a change of clothes. Drivers are predictably rude and stupid, but still predictable. Road shoulders on most expressways. Parking is cheap.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my poly days, I worked part time in a dispatch co., from on the road to office desk job,answering calls and taking order.:rolleyes:

There was also once I skidded on my Yamaha LC125 when dispatching document to then Goldhill Square.:o

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are one lucky #$W%$W%. If you don't mind. The 305 Dream is the bike that the authr of Zen and the Art of.... rode isn't it? Eh, how come you have access to all these historic rides? What's your line? Yes, I am curious. And you got a Bully to guard them too eh? Few years ago I was at a friend of a friend's farm place and they had an old banged up Yammy TT500. I still works and I got a chance to throttle it a little. That was the first time I had that much torque between my legs for a long time and I don't have the confidence anymore.

I rode two-stroke twins in my youth and owned an RD400 whilst a student in the States. As much as I like them, I can't imagine firing one (2 strokes) up these days with the neighbours looking on. The smoke they emit is a mortal sin. But I loved them then. I came across a well kept RD350 at a bike shop in Siglap earlier this year and casually asked the attendant there the price - 7K !!! I bought that 400 back in '84 for 300 bucks! Imagined if I had kept that machine? J-pass visa lah!

CB450 is really really vintage. Earlier than my time, but a few were around still.

My favs: T250 Hustler, CB750/500 actually, all the early CBs, Z-1, KZ650, KH250/350, RD250/350 (but not LC, once you stick a radiator on a cycle, it looks like shit!)

Cheers!

i always love vintage bike . when i got the chance to stay and work in japan , my passion grow , because over here the vintage bike market is huge , i got the chance to meet up some vintage bike collectors through my wife and they ask me to join their club . i spend nearly 2 years looking for 305 Dream ..and another one year to do up the bike with the help from my friend .

as for the pitbull ( bully ) i just got it recently only . just 3months old . i had a tosa and a Mastiff ( my mastiff is very old now , thats why i brought a new dog ) . yes ,i have many many important things at my house not only the bikes ,i need a good guard dog and videocam outside my house :smile: . sometimes i get Involved with the local yakuza due to my business :mad: ( i own 2 Exotic pets shop and sometimes those yakuza will ask me to help them smuggle Endangered Species animals which i refuse ....:mad: i need sercurity ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since you are a 2-stroker fan: a special question for you: Do you remember the Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples? Nothing could beat them in a straight line, on a straight road. But in the corners? That was a different matter altogether. Broken leg at the very least: guaranteed! Their handling was terrible!!!!!:eek:

Yes, I certainly do. I really loved their looks.

I ran into an angmo on a 500 cc triple and yes, they are jaw-dropping fast on the pick up; he also told me the dang thing drinks petrol worse than a car! Later on in the States, I was told by "later day bikers" there was even a 750 Triple model which they called The Widowmaker. I can imagine.

The T250 Suzuki Hustler was the perfect bike for me considering my size and experience level (in 1977~79), it was fast enough. Often I rode my buddies' RDs and they were serious machines with a lot of power, more than a match for the Kawa 250/350 triples and in the hands of a good rider, it is a giant-killer. But in terms of looks, I much preferred the Kawa and often stopped by the Caltex station in Katong just to see the KH250 the dealer had on display there; it was so beautiful. For a 250, it was expensive.

Apoloigies to the starter of this thread for turning it in a nostalgic dragstrip.

Cheers!

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So far has anyone thought of switching to motorbikes for your daily commuting ?

If a car is too expensive to own and maintain, and squeezing with your fellow PRCs and kelings is a No No, then perhaps motorcycles will be the best alternative.

What say you?

Oh, better not ride motorcycles. It is simply too dangerous in sinkieland. There are a lot of goondu drivers out there posing threat to you. Even you try to be very careful they will still bang you. I kena a few times, and was always lucky to escape with minor injury, but once kena 1 big incident and fractured my femur. My class 2 lic has been in cold storage for the past 20 yrs. Thinking back it was so silly to get a class 2 lic, waste time and $ nevermind but I remembered the training was machiam BMT, kena tekan by the instructor till jialat jialat type. Also a bit of oil spill or small stones or object can cause you to buang.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor man ride to commute and work.

Rich man ride for fun..

Noted your statement and agree.

If one is working (in Sg), the wage levels aren't "low" by anybody's standards; it just happens that cars are $$$ in Sg. I think if we total the number of two-wheeled BMWs, Harleys, Gold Wings and Ducatis in Sg, and divide that by her population, Sg would be impressively placed.

I don't know of any industrialised country in the world where the working class have maids.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
........ There are a lot of goondu drivers out there posing threat to you........

I agree with you 100%

- G license plate commercial vehicle overtake me at 100 kmh.
- Heavy lorries don't give a fuck about cutting into cars' path, let alone bikes.
- Electric cylcles weave in and out of traffic, faster than motorbike, no helmet, no insurance, sometimes tongpang!
- Tai-tai driving high-powered BM, Benz, don't give signal, don't look left/right only know direction to country club, oblivous to anyone around.
- Ah Tiong delivery van driver more concerned with cleaning his nostrils than paying attention to traffic conditions.

Cheers!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking abt italian bikes,Ducati Monster 900 dun run on engine oil, when you listen to the engine sound, you can feel the engine like not running smoothly. Moreover Italian bikes are great lookers but not very reliable. The best engine sound is still Honda bikes, big CC ones not the 2 strokes type.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
i always love vintage bike . .....because over here the vintage bike market is huge , i got the chance to meet up some vintage bike collectors through my wife ......as for the pitbull ( bully ) i just got it recently only . just 3months old . i had a tosa and a Mastiff ( my mastiff is very old now , thats why i brought a new dog ) . ....videocam outside my house..... i get Involved with the local yakuza due to my business :mad: ( i own 2 Exotic pets shop and sometimes those yakuza will ask me to help them smuggle Endangered Species animals which i refuse ....:mad: i need sercurity ...

I hope to get into that, not riding vintage bikes, but entering them in bike shows. If you're ever in Toronto, check out the bike show in Jan/Feb. Too bad it's the coldest time of the year.

When I was in college, I went to a dealer's place to buy weed, and he had his joint guarded by Pit Bulls. I froze when I entered the place and the pooches came around me sniffing my genitals; but we soon sat down to smoke a couple and his dogs settled down. Later on when we got shitfaced, the dogs came to lick me up like a puppy. I started to sob. I came to love those dogs; if not for them, his insurance would've been in the thousands!

Bud, I hope you're straight when you say you refuse to involve yourself in the exotic animal trade. That's not cool man. Our creator empowered us with high intelligence (whateve that is :smile:) to protect our lesser bros.

Cheers!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before some of you get too carried away and turn this thread into your nostalgic bike thread, I'm only looking for a simple bike like this:

hi queen what is it that you do that allows you to stay away from singapore?

I understand your perm residence is now in thailand but u occassionally visit near by countries.

Why do you hate living in sg?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I understand your perm residence is now in thailand but u occassionally visit near by countries.

I understand that your question is directed at QSD but I couldn't resist commenting. If you have wealth, foreign income or spouse, you can stay away from Singapore, as long as you like, till death never return.

However, many Singaporeans don't hate Singapore till death never return. They may just dislike the government. When we ask people to distinguish between country and party, we have to distinguish between them ourselves first. The government is not everything Singapore's all about. There're still people worth returning and staying for despite the dislikeable government.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah...you again...anyway, your comments are true!:p

I understand that your question is directed at QSD but I couldn't resist commenting. If you have wealth, foreign income or spouse, you can stay away from Singapore, as long as you like, till death never return.

However, many Singaporeans don't hate Singapore till death never return. They may just dislike the government. When we ask people to distinguish between country and party, we have to distinguish between them ourselves first. The government is not everything Singapore's all about. There're still people worth returning and staying for despite the dislikeable government.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

*POOOOTT* digusting fart

This response from you is fucking annoying. No shit sherlock of course with money or spouse etc you can stay away i just want to know her situation specifically. :oIo::oIo:

The rest of it is jibber jabber from you as usual. :oIo::oIo:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't have a permanent residence anywhere, except Singapore. Thailand is convenient because it's not too difficult to get a 6-month tourist visa, but like all tourist visas you've to exit the country when the visa expires. So why not make full use of the time when you exit the country ?

I'm permanently unemployed. Don't get the wrong impression that the fact I'm able to live overseas means I'm well off. The truth is the opposite. If you're unemployed it's more expensive to live in Singapore, if you can still live.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know you're trying to anticipate my answer, and seize the opportunity to 'display' your wisdom.

The truth is I fulfilled none of the above conditions. Foreign income ? Maybe once in a while, but I wouldn't consider that an income.

In fact it's quite the opposite that "forced" me to leave Singapore. If I had fulfilled any of the above conditions, I might have been reluctant to leave Singapore.

Am I better off now ? I'm not sure, but I know I'll not survive in Singapore. I remember seeking 'higher authority' for help in looking for a job, and higher authority wrote to a GLC. A week later I received a letter from HR of that GLC telling me that after going through my resume there was no suitable vacancy [for any position] in the GLC.

I knew I was the 'illegitimate child' of Singapore long before the infiltration of FTrashs.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how old are you, queenie? if you are not marked, may be i CAN HELP.
Normally, I dun offer help unless i know i can.

I know you're trying to anticipate my answer, and seize the opportunity to 'display' your wisdom.

The truth is I fulfilled none of the above conditions. Foreign income ? Maybe once in a while, but I wouldn't consider that an income.

In fact it's quite the opposite that "forced" me to leave Singapore. If I had fulfilled any of the above conditions, I might have been reluctant to leave Singapore.

Am I better off now ? I'm not sure, but I know I'll not survive in Singapore. I remember seeking 'higher authority' for help in looking for a job, and higher authority wrote to a GLC. A week later I received a letter from HR of that GLC telling me that after going through my resume there was no suitable vacancy [for any position] in the GLC.

I knew I was the 'illegitimate child' of Singapore long before the infiltration of FTrashs.