• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Mak Cik stand up to Ah Tiong Aunties

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is nothing bad about what the tiong bus said. Nan hua is a Chinese school, the rings were just curious about Malay in Chinese school cos it's unusual

For all your BS you're right in this respect it wasn't meant to be offensive.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its good that there're many Malays of the present generation learning Mandarin.. I read somewhere that nowadays quite a number of Malay parents sending their young kids for Mandarin classes..

In fact when young, I remember seeing my late Ah Kong's kampong buddy, a Malay uncle conversing with him in fluent Cantonese..

the Malays should learn Mandarin long ago. Mandarin is the second major language of Singapore, the language of the majority Chinese people. Malays will find it useful to know some Mandarin, it will help them to communicate better with the Chinese in work and life.

why don't PAP make the Malays and Indians learn compulsory Mandarin in Primary School ? must be another of their Divide and Conquer politics.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if they start getting fluent in Cantonese, i'll be really worried..................

my malay colleague mom speak mandarin and hokkien. apparently it self taught after working many years beside her chinese colleagues. even her cooking heavily influence by chinese style.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
She spoke to the Ah Tiong crows in Mandarin?

Nothing strange as I had experienced a Malay nursing sister who bantered with my surgeon in Mandarin and later talked to another nurse in Malay. I was about to go under the knife at that time for a minor ops. I have also seen a few Indians of both sexes speaking to Chinese friends in Mandarin and Hokkien on other occasions.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the Malays should learn Mandarin long ago. Mandarin is the second major language of Singapore, the language of the majority Chinese people. Malays will find it useful to know some Mandarin, it will help them to communicate better with the Chinese in work and life.

The Malays here embraced Islam about 500 years ago, whereas the Chinese were Muslims much more earlier.

The Chinese Muslims respect the Chinese language as they consider it to be their very own. Yet they remain devout Muslims all these years.

The Chinese Muslims do not blindly accept anything connected with the Arabs, especially the language just because the Prophet of Islam was a Querishi Arab.

The Chinese mosques still look like Chinese temples of olden days. They still eat with chopsticks and don not dress like Arabs

Chinese language is commonly written on the walls of these Chinese mosques and the Chinese Muslims are proud of these for they love their original language.

There was a time too, when the Malays here placed a lot of emphasis on Arabic for the simple reason that the Holy Book is written in Arabic.

The trend is changing today for the best. May the local Malays here progress further in life and become much better Muslims.

Maybe the Malaysians can learn a lot more from the Chinese Muslims.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng also know of malay people with double distinctions in Chinese Language leh!:biggrin: dun play play hor! 开玩笑啊!

spot on!!! many non-malay singaporeans and foreigners are shocked when my malay friends reply in mandarin!!!...especially after a caustic or rude remark made about them....

It's good that non chinese are learning to speak mandarin. This should be the way. I know of one mixed malay chinese guy who's dad is chinese so he's officially a chinese but looks more malay and whole family is muslim so they pass off more as malay and he learnt chinese in school.

It's pretty easy to pick up malay anyhow but harder to learn chinese. You can learn chinese in school and learn malay at home for those malays wanting to learn chinese.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

why don't PAP make the Malays and Indians learn compulsory Mandarin in Primary School ? must be another of their Divide and Conquer politics.

I agree the chinese in malaysia can speak malay. Seriously what's wrong with learning to speak the majority's language? Many indian muslims and singaporeans not from the 4 major races learn to speak malay cos it's probably the easiest language to learn yet nobody has an issue with that.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Misunderstanding lah.

People from different countries come together sure got this kind of misconception lah.

Have to be patience and keep cool lah.

Dun add fuel to fire. Especially nationalist sentiments. It doesn't help much.

Last edited:

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun add fuel to fire. Especially nationalist sentiments. It doesn't help much.

It is good for Singaporeans to show passion.
Singaporeans' politeness/restraint has been freely labelled as 'the planet’s most emotionless people'.

Mak Cik boleh!!!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is nothing bad about what the tiong bus said. Nan hua is a Chinese school, the rings were just curious about Malay in Chinese school cos it's unusual

hi there

1. yo! bitch/cunt.
2. any schools in sheepishland is just some school hoh.
3. apa chin school or what.
4. get your facts right before spatting away crap:p

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nothing strange as I had experienced a Malay nursing sister who bantered with my surgeon in Mandarin and later talked to another nurse in Malay. I was about to go under the knife at that time for a minor ops. I have also seen a few Indians of both sexes speaking to Chinese friends in Mandarin and Hokkien on other occasions.

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. tiongs are tiongs.
3. making some molehill out from nothing.
4. my ex-secretary, a malay individual speaks mandarin & hokkien.
5. even sheep chinese can mistaken her as chinese over the phone hoh.
6. however, she is still learning to speak canto:biggrin:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is everything wrong with Ah Tiong's comment, it is not about curiosity but questioning the entitlement of Malay for access to a Chinese school. This amounts to prejudice against certain race and such not be tolerated.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is everything wrong with Ah Tiong's comment, it is not about curiosity but questioning the entitlement of Malay for access to a Chinese school. This amounts to prejudice against certain race and such not be tolerated.

For the Malays this is their ancestral land and how can one question their presence in a local government school? It is very bad if the comment were to come from a local Chinese Sinkie and even worse if it was from a recent immigrant from China. By the way Chinese schools were phased out a long time ago in Singapore, way back in 1979.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got one AngMoh ask around for a LanJiao 小学。
Everyone scratch head and thinking it may be in Geylang or Desker road.

Later the AngMoh pull out a letter and finally everyone got it...

南桥小学。

AngMoh better stick to AngMoh.