• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ship low income old Singaporeans to Batam and Bintan

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you've been to the house that anne frank lived, once is enough. the red light district, though, beckons dirty old men like you more than once. and don't forget the sex museum.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you've been to the house that anne frank lived, once is enough. the red light district, though, beckons dirty old men like you more than once. and don't forget the sex museum.

Sex museum total waste of entrance money .... nothing spectacular binya ....

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

In a broader sense, your idea of having a retirement village is good and timely. Many first-world countries hve it. Australia is closest to us. In such villages, doctors and nurses are on hand to help. The occupants buy the small homes cheap and reside therein and get along their lives by interacting with other folks. Life goes on and their lives become very meaningful.
Why must we have to send them to Batam, Bintan or other foreign countries when we have so many vacant islands of our own. We can use one of these many islands. Ubin is a good choice. Its close to Changi Hospital and the mainland.If we can have Jurong Island for industries, why not another island as retirement village?
Our old folks have their dignity and pride. So please don't treat them like trash. They have contributed in the development of our nation, maybe in a small way but the fact is that have and hence shuld be accorded all the help by their children and the government.
Let us not forget the hands that once fed us. All of us will eventually grow old too. "He who digs a pit knows not that he or his brother will fall into it" (ancient Bedouin saying).

Hi Koh, thanks for writing the post. it is the only meaningful reply to buzzlightyear.

while i intend to have my parents stay with me in their later years when they can no longer take care of themselves, i do not intend to burden my children with this same responsibility. retirement is still more than 10+ years away for me but it draws closer with each breath.

you mentioned Australia over Batam/Bintan. is this choice because of better weather? or a subconscious pinkerton syndrome? (white man good, all else bad.) What if Batam/bintan offered a retirement village, 10x better than Nightingale Nursing home? where nurses don't slap patients to show their "friendship"...

because batam/bintan has the potential as costs are but a fraction of Sg. you can probably get 5-6 nurses for the same cost in singapore. don't even need to mention land cost. proximity to Sg is 90min door to door by ferry. that's about the same time to get from bukit batok to macpherson by public transport.

IF there were such a place in Batam, managed and run by Singaporeans, other than the "loss of face" thing which is so strangely important in this part of the world, would there be any other objections?

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sTVo5c1K4TE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sTVo5c1K4TE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
because batam/bintan has the potential as costs are but a fraction of Sg. you can probably get 5-6 nurses for the same cost in singapore. don't even need to mention land cost. proximity to Sg is 90min door to door by ferry. that's about the same time to get from bukit batok to macpherson by public transport.

hi bryan,

just wanna say 90minutes is not a fair assessment. cos u are only taking into account the actual ferry time. if u add the wait time for ferry (at least 30minutes) + the time u take to clear custom (???? not going to be fast at the very least), the time and effort taken to visit whoever's folks in batam is certainly much much longer than just jurong to ubi.

current situation now in sg is that already a lot of children do not visit their folks often in local nursing homes. if their folks are in batam, then i think will become 1 year visit 1 time during cny/hari raya.

in summary, the sg government need to do more for nursing home needs. telling ppl (like khaw did) to send their folks to batam nursing home is downrite irresponsible as a minister. like that hdb can ask u buy jb/batam house, moh can tell u go jb/thailand for treatment. what next? foodstuff inflation ask u go jb/batam for your marketing? this is no solution. the sg minsters are pushing their responsibilities away.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Outside the museum, the Britsh Breakfast at the cafes best lah joe !!

the only decent food there is indon food. even indon restaurants suck. run by ah tiong. what did you have? poached eggs and british bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner? yucks! :biggrin:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the only decent food there is indon food. even indon restaurants suck. run by ah tiong. what did you have? poached eggs and british bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner? yucks! :biggrin:

U don't everytime look down on poor people like me lah !!

I know you very kaya lah !! The British Breakfast most value for money ..... one order, can feed two people binya...

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi bryan,

just wanna say 90minutes is not a fair assessment. cos u are only taking into account the actual ferry time. if u add the wait time for ferry (at least 30minutes) + the time u take to clear custom (???? not going to be fast at the very least), the time and effort taken to visit whoever's folks in batam is certainly much much longer than just jurong to ubi.

current situation now in sg is that already a lot of children do not visit their folks often in local nursing homes. if their folks are in batam, then i think will become 1 year visit 1 time during cny/hari raya.

in summary, the sg government need to do more for nursing home needs. telling ppl (like khaw did) to send their folks to batam nursing home is downrite irresponsible as a minister. like that hdb can ask u buy jb/batam house, moh can tell u go jb/thailand for treatment. what next? foodstuff inflation ask u go jb/batam for your marketing? this is no solution. the sg minsters are pushing their responsibilities away.

Hi Sifu, ferry ride is 45min, if you book online or by phone, you can turn up 20min before gate closes. batam side if no cocks in the queue, can clear in 10min no sweat. throw in 15min of random delays, and its about 90min. basically, i'm saying the travel time is no worse than going to work in the morning by public transport.

as to the current situation, if you put the old folks home next door to the family, if they don't have the heart to visit, 1 year 1 time will be the norm. if have heart, even if the folks stay in batu pahat, the family will drive there to visit. touch your heart, u know i speak the truth.

i believe Khaw had the right idea but the wrong presentation. if the retirement villages in batam look like shangri-la but at the price of hotel81, i think we'll have a long queue of people waiting to sign up. because the alternative is to have more Nightingale type nursing homes whereby nurses slap their patients to show friendship.

bro, i rather go live in shangri-la in batam. my 2 cents for i'll be old too one day.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

there's a darn good pancake house down the lane from anne frank's. facing the canal with your back to the house, turn right and walk about 10min. honey (for the pancakes) is served in a jar there exactly like winnie the pooh's! =D

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
because batam/bintan has the potential as costs are but a fraction of Sg. you can probably get 5-6

as to the current situation, if you put the old folks home next door to the family, if they don't have the heart to visit, 1 year 1 time will be the norm. if have heart, even if the folks stay in batu pahat, the family will drive there to visit. touch your heart, u know i speak the truth.

i dun agree with this statement as i feel that distance definitely plays a part. u ask yourself how many times u eat at your house downstairs kopitiam even though the food and not so good instead of driving 30minutes to get better stuff. i do admit that food is not exactly the best analogy here. lets just leave it at here that we agree to disagree.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun agree with this statement as i feel that distance definitely plays a part. u ask yourself how many times u eat at your house downstairs kopitiam even though the food and not so good instead of driving 30minutes to get better stuff. i do admit that food is not exactly the best analogy here. lets just leave it at here that we agree to disagree.

i hope my kids don't compare me to food next time! =)

peace.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
another attention seeking fucker?

haha...buzzlightyear...its okay...rant on...just dun forget, u will get old...karma my friend...

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let us not forget the hands that once fed us. All of us will eventually grow old too.

I haven't met an old man or old woman who would feed anyone other than their kids. In fact, they don't even feed their own kids well, most of them starve their own kids. Most of them are busy running around committing crimes, yelling at people, being rude to people, urinating in lifts, molesting young kids, spitting on the floor, stealing money from their relatives, backstabbing their colleagues, receiving handouts from MCYS... etc etc.

Last edited:

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
another attention seeking fucker?

haha...buzzlightyear...its okay...rant on...just dun forget, u will get old...karma my friend...

Don't worry, I will keep stepping on old people's heads for another few more decades. The other day, I was in a lift with this disgusting skinny smelly old man, and I had the urge to fart. So I turned around, pretended to tie my shoelaces, aimed my arse at his face, and farted straight into this mouth.

The door opened and he was blocking my way. I yelled at him 'Hey OLD man, get out of the way' before shaking my head at him to let him know how much I dissaprove of him and his generation when I left.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U don't everytime look down on poor people like me lah !!

I know you very kaya lah !! The British Breakfast most value for money ..... one order, can feed two people binya...

come on lah. you have so much mullah to fly roundtrip to schipol and no euro for something better than eggs and ham? anyway, will take up your suggestion and try the dreaded british breakfast.