• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommend a place to buy Bike?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just curious, how much would that cost?

Never buy a Trek, that keling kia boss look at your money only, after you have bought your bike, he doesn't know you. resale for the Trek bike is Sickapoor suck!! Most sickapoor cyclist especially local will never buy a TRek bike.

Don't asked me why?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
$5 to 8k is mid range? To you, or the entire nation? If 99% of the bikes bought in SG are $60 supermarket grade bikes, a $150-160 bike is already two to three times the national average bike price so even at that price it would be a far strech to term it is mid range, much less one costing $5 to $8k.

Bike are quite similar to cars, some buy a Picanto Korean car cost below 40K
some driver prefer Ferarri cost $350K see the different? Like one of the brother here say he cycle his $100 bike with his muscular body, but can he cycle as fast as the road bike? be it high end or mid range, sound familiar now Picanto and a Ferrari? can the Korean car catch up with the "F*&*&^"?

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing is worse than riding a road bike that has not been set up correctly. Cycleworx was one of the few places that does a good job in this department.

Avoid CycleWorx at all costs unless you wanna get slaughtered by Kenneth Tan. BTW Ho Jinx's youngest bother Ho Sing has got majority interest in the CycleWorx bike shop.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bike are quite similar to cars, some buy a Picanto Korean car cost below 40K
some driver prefer Ferarri cost $350K see the different? Like one of the brother here say he cycle his $100 bike with his muscular body, but can he cycle as fast as the road bike? be it high end or mid range, sound familiar now Picanto and a Ferrari? can the Korean car catch up with the "F*&*&^"?

Huh? Don't quite understand you.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've actually visited togoparts before I asked for more recommendations. I am not ruling out buying a 2nd hand one :smile:. Anyway, thks for introducing me to cycleworx, although I haven't visited the shop yet, I've got a feeling it maybe on the high side for me. Just need to do regular exercise, so don't mind a little torture as long as my legs, lungs and heart get the work out.... and sweat out the stress as well :smile:.

thks everyone for your inputs.

Ashjaw,

Avoid CycleWorx at all costs unless you wanna get slaughtered by Kenneth Tan. BTW Ho Jinx's bother Ho Sing has got majority interest in the CycleWorx bike shop.

Another bike shop to avoid is Treknology, the agent for Trek bicycles. Bengalee Harish the owner is a hustler.

Go and seek advice from Mr Jamal, ex-Asian Games silver medalist for cycling, now working at Rodalink East and his address:

Rodalink East Coast
166B Upper East Coast Road
Singapore 455270
Tel: 6242 8330

For entry-road-bike, Jamal can set up for you from $500 upwards.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have gone through 15 bikes in my lifetime. I kept the 8 which were my favourites and were representative of the era.

The biggest advances have been in applying carbon technology to wheels. Sub 900 gm wheelsets are now common.

I did the Alps (incl Alpe D'Huez) and Ventoux last year. I intend to do the Pyrenees next year and also give the Paris Roubaix cobblestones a go. I took my heavy bike to France. I didn't want to take take the risk of losing my expensive bike in transit.

Sam, have you climbed Gentings? Using compact crank, I've successfully climbed Gentings 5 times and at the recent Tour de Langkawi those Ang Moh professional riders when they reached the peak, they swore that that was the most fucking gruelling climb they ever attempted.

Read somewhere that Gentings is the world's 5th most difficult climb.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 8 bikes. The latest is a Fondriest TF1 with 11 speed campy.

Kenneth Tan of CycleWorx told me that Fondriest is no longer in production. He shud know better cos CycleWorx was the agent. You got mixed up with Pinarello TF1?

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing is worse than riding a road bike that has not been set up correctly. Cycleworx was one of the few places that does a good job in this department.

Actually there are many bikeshops in Singapore that will provide you with good bike fitting service if u buy from them..... No need to go pay a premium for nothing at Cycleworx. Anyways, nothing hard about getting a good bike fit, just read up online tons of resources to provide you with bike fitting knowlegde. Come to think of it, if you are not an odd size person you don't really need any special bike fitting. The important things are mainly the correct frame size and cockpit setup.

Wahh seems like a lot of bicycle enthusiast here seh....maybe can sammyboy group ride soon? hahaha

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Kenneth Tan of CycleWorx told me that Fondriest is no longer in production. He shud know better cos CycleWorx was the agent. You got mixed up with Pinarello TF1?

The 09 TF1 Fondriest.:wink:

TF1-nero.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sam, have you climbed Gentings? Using compact crank, I've successfully climbed Gentings 5 times and at the recent Tour de Langkawi

I have not climbed Genting. The most difficult climb I've done has to be Mont Ventoux. What makes it really hard is a combination of the gradient and the the conditions leading up to the peak.

However, I'll have to say that the descent makes it all worth while. :biggrin: We were overtaking the cars on the way down!

Bike_Tyson

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not climbed Genting. The most difficult climb I've done has to be Mont Ventoux. What makes it really hard is a combination of the gradient and the the conditions leading up to the peak.

However, I'll have to say that the descent makes it all worth while. :biggrin: We were overtaking the cars on the way down!

Mont Ventoux?? Realleee?? WoW!! So far, I've only read about it. Armstrong has never won there despite winning TdF 7 times. Marco Pantini did it but died some time later (unrelated perhaps).

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Funny how you have not done Genting and yet have done Mont Ventoux, assuming that you are based in Singapore like you said before, SG is a flatland, there are no killer climbs to train for here, mount faber is a gentle hill and the nearest thing is Genting, so where do you train for your climb at Ventoux? Care to share your training locations and program?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
where most racer dun have wheel guard, raining how? the wheel will throw the m&ds all the way up to the back of rider.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
where most racer dun have wheel guard, raining how? the wheel will throw the m&ds all the way up to the back of rider.

Road bike wheels are very slim, in the event of rain, they usually only pick up water, so you will get a thin strip of water at your back, no biggie.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where can I buy Colnago bike ?
Want to get one.

Super Pro Bike Shop at Lor 29 Geylang/Sim Ave is the agent for Colnago, but Keith the owner is pretty unreliable.

Go to Rodalink East at Upper East Coast Rd and look for Jamal.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Super Pro Bike Shop at Lor 29 Geylang/Sim Ave is the agent for Colnago, but Keith the owner is pretty unreliable.

Go to Rodalink East at Upper East Coast Rd and look for Jamal.

Keith unreliable? Really? My last time dealing with him was in 1995, he was good, have things changed?