• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man who wins $1.7m Toto speaks up

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20101102.090634_101101-millionare.jpg

ABANDONED by his divorced parents, he was once so poor that he had to sleep next to a drain.

But through the hard times, he harboured a dream of striking it rich one day.

Though money was tight, he would spent up to $80 a week buying Toto tickets.

His dream came true in August.

Mr Liang Xin Lu (left), 57, who was once made bankrupt, is now a millionaire.

His rags-to-riches story is an overnight one.

The excavator operator won more than $1.7 million in Toto.

He was the sole winner of the first prize.

Singapore Pools holds twice-weekly Toto draws as well as special draws like the Hongbao draw, where the prize money is $10 million.

The biggest winners to date are two punters who shared a $10.5 million jackpot in 2007.

Despite his new-found wealth, life has not changed for Mr Liang, who earns a basic monthly salary of $1,600.

He told Lianhe Wanbao that he has not done anything fancy with his money, apart from giving $50,000 to each of his three grown-up children - two daughters and a son.

He lives in a HDB flat with his family.

He said he also donated a small sum to charity, but declined to reveal the amount and the name of the charity.

The New Paper on Sunday understands that he also spent a portion of his winnings treating his friends to meals at restaurants.

The rest of his fortune will remain in the bank while he decides what to do with the money.

Mr Liang is believed to be the first Singaporean to reveal his identity, complete with photographs, to the media after becoming a millionaire from winning Toto.

Why reveal himself unlike the other big winners?

"Everyone around me, my family and friends, already know about my win. Besides, Singapore is a safe country," said Mr Liang.

However, he declined to be interviewed by this newspaper, as he said that his family had chided him for revealing his identity.

They found out about his interview with Lianhe Wanbao yesterday only when the article was published.

He said that he had bought his winning $20 Toto ticket on Aug 19 during his lunch break.

His outlet of choice was at Block 108, Punggol Field.

He went back to work that afternoon and realised he had won at 8pm that evening when he checked the results.

Ecstatic about his huge windfall, he rushed home to tell his family.

The next morning, he went to the Singapore Pools office to collect his winnings in the form of a cheque.

His August win was the first time that he won the first prize, although he had won consolation prizes in the past.

He said: "Even if a person spends (a lot), he probably cannot use up this sum of money."

"But my life will not change because of this money. I will continue my life as per normal."

Though he can comfortably live off his winnings, Mr Liang plans to continue working despite the long hours.

He works till 10pm daily.

He takes home about $2,000 a month including overtime pay.

Throughout the interview with Lianhe Wanbao at a coffee shop, he remained calm about his win.

Tough life

He had a rough life, he said.

His parents divorced when he was young and he had a difficult childhood.

They treated him like a "human ball", pushing him to one another, he said.

At 14, he started working as a coffee-shop helper and moved on to become a factory worker, mechanic, taxi driver and delivery man of bread and soya milk.

He was so poor and exhausted after work that he ended up spending some nights sleeping next to a drain.

He said he was declared bankrupt in the 80s after a failed business venture.

Said Mr Liang: "I've suffered for such a long time. Now my hardship is finally over."

On his long-time habit of buying Toto, he said: "I like buying Toto because it is like using a small knife to chop a big tree."

"When I buy, there is hope. Whether I win or not, that'sup to fate. It cannot be forced."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On his long-time habit of buying Toto, he said: "I like buying Toto because it is like using a small knife to chop a big tree."

"When I buy, there is hope. Whether I win or not, that'sup to fate. It cannot be forced."

Tat de dirty trick to get eberybody 2 contribute...at least few bucks n at de end of day...stinkapore poo, ish de biggest winner of em all...y not reaveal how much SP make every week? :rolleyes:

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
The art of deception is to show half truths, mirrors and smokes....

A country where there is no minimum wage scheme let alone a good minimum wage scheme for the poorest and expect us to believe in toto as a real generosity gesture from them?!! the same ppl who tries their best daily coming up with draconian policy to whip us? Think about it.

No way. Even there are winners, its definitely high up with the connected ppl.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
y dey published tis kind of noos? ...

sabo ah lu ... prob he'd b getting many 'relatifs' visiting him ...

oso, coerce peasants 2 gamble ... 2 ir's oso not enuff 2 make enuff moni 2 pay ze world's bestest paid politicians meh? ... :rolleyes: :oIo:

Last edited:

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
if i strike i won't speak up, and keep quiet low profile. otherwise lots of new friends and family appear want a piece of my pie!

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
what I'm feeling is that this gambling method is bullshit. Most of the time there are really no winners meaning not enough proof that REAL ppl actually won. If the masses start to stop queuing and putting their hard earned money on better useful things, then, these "organisations" once in a blue moon really give out the winnings to a genuine winner and do a PR stunt like this to rouse the masses again.

A-Star psychological con job.

That's my believe and nobody will find out the truth because theres not enough evidence to prove otherwise. Also, balls and machines can be manipulated based on science and physics unseen to the eye. Just like magicians traits.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
11lee-1-articleLarge.jpg

He must learned from me. Have all the feng shui elements in your house and your office to boost your power and luck.

Because of my office feng shui elements in my office, now I strike at least SGD$1 millions dollars of Toto every month do you know? (His salary)

So dont waste time anymore ah! Learn from me now!

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our Prostitude Press is trying to brain wash you that:

1.) You should but 4D / Toto
2.) Singapore is safe

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
later all the bangla at construction site kill him at and share the money or some malaysian will kidnap him for ransom. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the ticket was sold, could have fetched 10% more. Many who make money the illegal way need such tickets to convert their cash to see daylight.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the ticket was sold, could have fetched 10% more. Many who make money the illegal way need such tickets to convert their cash to see daylight.

I heard a lot about this thingy about tickets being sold to loansharks or bookies. How do they do it? It is illegal, rihgt? Selling winning tickets. It would be akin to abetting money laundering. Not worth the danger given that already won 1.7m