• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regarding the reno, for a built-up area of about 3000 ft, people are talking about renovation costs of about RM100K. Spending this amount is supposed to get a very good reno or just the normal one? I assume this does not include the costs for furniture and electrical appliances.

wow! I couldn't and won't afford a 100k reno. Having said that knocking down walls and carpentry works will mean the bill shoot up pretty fast. Retiling works especially for a big house can also easily slaughter the golden goose. Keeping these to a minimum will at least control the reno bill. hmmm having seen quite a handful of show-houses, i have not come across a JB ID that is impressive. Those showrooms with very good IDs usually from KL when i asked, even the furnitures come down from there. I hear some people say that the best of JB contractors and talents are doing SG jobs dunno how true :biggrin:

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow! I couldn't and won't afford a 100k reno. Having said that knocking down walls and carpentry works will mean the bill shoot up pretty fast. Retiling works especially for a big house can also easily slaughter the golden goose. Keeping these to a minimum will at least control the reno bill. hmmm having seen quite a handful of show-houses, i have not come across a JB ID that is impressive. Those showrooms with very good IDs usually from KL when i asked, even the furnitures come down from there. I hear some people say that the best of JB contractors and talents are doing SG jobs dunno how true :biggrin:

I have the same feeling... All the jb renovated house I've seen are pretty ugly... Poor color combi, cheap looking but yet expensive furnitures...outdated carpentry all over... And they actually pay up to 70 to 100k for the Reno....

Furniture shops in jb does not have the style I like..Im considering getting furniture from KL and transport transport them to jb... Wonder if the charges will be very high...

geritan

Alfrescian
Loyal
All,

My humble 2 cents, things to look out for houses whether buying from developer or subsale:

Check out for wet stains or dried yellowish or dark stains on the ceilings
Check for signs of water seepage into the walls especially near the outdoor area
Check for serious cracks especially around 2nd floor, near the corners/edges of the rooms where
the wall meets the ceiling

I would agree definitely with some forummers here, all of the houses have no false ceiling, occupational
hazard as i always want to ease up on troubleshooting.

Your preference and inclination may vary/differ. There are always lemons in every development, even the
world best watches or car makes may have lemons. Just don't accept it as a lemon and get the developer
to make good.

Other than the abovementioned, if you are getting a sub-sale house, make sure you list all the terms and conditions you have with the owner in the SPA. If the house is fully furnished, make sure you take photos of everything and state them in SPA. Don't trust the vendor even if he sounds friendly and sincere. If not, at the end of the day, you will be at the losing end.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Investing in Nusajaya

Hi Wuqi, can share how to do defect checking? If you don't mind, can share your checklist?

I googled and found the below checklist and thought it might be useful to many readers here;

NEW HOME INSPECTION CHECKLIST

You should not be afraid to conduct your Pre-Delivery Inspection on your own. To guide you through this process and help keep you organized the Ontario New Home Warranty Program (ONHWP) has provided you with the New Home Inspection Checklist. (Based on the Greater Toronto Homebuilders' Association pamphlet Pre-Delivery Inspection 21 Points to Consider.)

Things to Look for…

Your builder will likely start the inspection inside the home and proceed from room to room.

When examining ceilings, walls, doors and windows you should check for obvious defects such as gouges, cracks and dents on finished surfaces. Doors should be well-fitted, evenly joined around the outside and top and bottom. Locks should be well installed and not rattle when the door is closed. Drywall should have no noticeable seams or evidence of nail pops.

Walk along floors and ensure there are no excessive squeaks or spring. Subfloor joints should not show ridges around tiles.

Flush toilets and turn on water taps to check water pressure and temperature. Check the caulking and grouting around tiles and tubs for gaps and cracks. Check tubs and sinks for any scratches in the finishes.

If appliances are part of your purchase package, make sure that the builder gives you the instruction booklets and individual warranty packages for them.

Locate the switches for ventilation and circulation fans normally found near the thermostat. Also, ensure that the fans in the bathrooms and in the kitchen are operating properly. Ask your builder to show you where they vent on the exterior of the house.

Outside, check that the brickwork and masonry are free of cracks and the doors and windows are properly caulked. Open and close the garage door to make sure that it does not stick.

Print out your copy of the New Home Inspection Checklist and you are ready to go.

New Home Inspection Checklist….

This checklist can be printed from your browser or saved to your computer for future reference.

Exterior

Grading
Grounds are graded with a gentle slope away from the house to direct rain and melted snow into the drain system.
If the house has a basement, check the window wells for gravel and ensure they are cleaned out.
Swale
Some lots require shallow runoff trenches (swales) to help collect and drain water. Swales should be even and of a regular slope.
Sod
Sod should be rolled after it is laid
Siding
Siding should be nailed securely to the walls.
Caulking
All window and door frames should be caulked where the frame meets the wall of the house.
Painting
Inspect the paint to ensure there is good coverage on the exterior surfaces and all trimwork.
Exterior Trim
Trim should have a minimum of knots and be securely fixed.
Brickwork
Vertical and horizontal mortar joints between the bricks should be completely filled. Weep holes near the bottom of brick walls should be free and open.
Windows
Windows should open and close properly. Make sure there are no cracked panes and that all appropriate screens are in place.
Roof Ventilation
Weatherstripping should be installed securely.
Air vents should be as close as possible to the ridge of the roof.
Shingles
Shingles should be flat with no corners lifting, extending over the roof edge by approximately 2 cm and over the edge of the fascia board at the eavestrough.
Gutters and Downspouts
If your house comes with eavestroughs and downspouts ensure that they are installed securely.
Check to ensure that drainage of downpipes is directed away from the house, walkways and driveways.
Garage
Garages must be gas proofed. The walls of an attached garage should be sheeted with either a non-combustible material, e.g., gypsum board, with joints sealed, or a masonry board.
If there is a door from the garage to the house, ensure that an automatic closer has been installed and that the door closes properly.
Interior

BASEMENT
Check for cracks and/or signs of leaks in the walls.
Floor drains should be in the lowest part of the basement.
Floor joists should be made of sound lumber. Joists spanning more than 2.1 metres should have bridging between them. There should be double joists directly beneath bearing partitions on the floor above and around stairway openings.
Check the furnace and hot water heater for general damage, capacity, shut-off mechanisms and the type of filtering systems
Doors
Doors should be well-fitted, evenly joined around the outside and at the top and the bottom. They should clear the carpet.
Locks should be well-installed and not rattle when the door is closed. There should be a door stop.
Floors
There should be only a minimum of squeaks and a minimum of spring when the floor is walked on.
Subfloor joints should not show ridges around titles. Wood flooring should have a certain amount of deflection. Any other floor coverings should have a flat surface.
Joints should be tight between asbestos or vinyl tiles.
Carpeting
Check if the carpet is tight and if the seams match.
Hardwood
Check the finish for any large scratches or gouges. Check the floor for any excessive gaps or cracks in the flooring.
Painting
Check to ensure that the colour you requested was applied and that all finishes are free from dents and scratches.
Plumbing Fixtures
Check for chips in the porcelain or vanity top covers. Faucets should work properly.
Faucets and shower heads should be caulked. Turn on the faucets and taps to ensure that hot is hot and cold is cold.
The top of the tub should be level. See if water will run off the ledge of the bathtub onto the floor.
Caulking around the tub and between the tiles should be complete.
Cabinets
Cabinets should be well secured to the wall.
Check the operation of the doors and drawers and ensure all handles (door pulls) are installed.
Check the surface and countertops for noticeable scratches.
Closets
Doors should be secure and working properly.
KITCHEN
Cabinet doors should be aligned properly.
There should be no damage to the counter top.
The space allotted for your appliances should be correct.
Test the range hood fan and light.
Make sure there are electrical outlets above the counter.
Fireplaces
If your home has a fireplace ensure that the damper and vents work. If you have a gas fireplace ask for instructions on how to operate it.
Heating
Heat registers should not be covered by carpeting and should not be located below a thermostat.
Make sure the damper is open and works freely.
Check the location and number of cold air returns and make sure they are free of obstruction. Ask you builder to explain about "balancing".
Electrical
Check all outlets and electrical fixtures for operation. You can purchase an outlet tester in your local hardware store.
Upgrades and Options
Make sure that all pre-selected upgrades and options have been installed.

Last edited:

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Each about 30k on average. Yes up to 26% if you are foreigner but not if you are a tax resident here. As in if you stay here at least 182 days a year, you qualify and can just pay the tax from 1-26% (depending on your income bracket) as if you are a local. Certain deductions apply to you too. :smile:

Note that tax is not 26% of our rental revenue. We can deduct cost such as property tax, maintenance fee, lawyer fees, agents fee, repairs, and the mortgage interests (not the principal payment).

Last edited:

rhino

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like the few rows of shophouses just opposite of Jusco . Enquired about it last year but was all taken out .Managed to got one two storey unit along the RHB bank , Nusa Bestari .:smile:

Thanks Jasonjst, is there also a minimum price threshold of RM$500,00 for foreigners who want to purchase office space?

Last edited:

mrbean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone here. For those who have bought landed houses in JB or other parts of Malaysia, I was wondering if any of you noticed installation of earth pits and lightning protection on the roof. For rooftop, its usually laid with copper or aluminium tapes at the perimeter. But if its metal roof it can be bonded to steel structures to form the protective earthing. Reason why I'm asking is that I don't seem to notice it being installed, at least I never seem to see any earth pits. Which may explain some of the posted instances here where lightning wreaked havoc on appliances. Of course, having surge arrestors additionally helps too. Lightning protection is generally compulsory in s'pore for safety reasons. Houses on higher ground are especially vulnerable.

rhino

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no more bullets now but if i have, i would buy shops purely from an investment point of view.
The main caveat though is LOCATION, LOCATION and.................................... LOCATION

Buy one that is bad, you will definitely have problems unless you are able to stay there or use it to
do some of your own business. Like my learned neighbour always told me about his bad experiences
in JJ or Permas Jaya. Lots of car modding shops in Permas Jaya though. Saw a car mod shop still open
at almost 2am near the 1st link (KSL side)

Thanks Wuqi, am keen to purchase office space to perhaps set up a psychology consulting firm in future. But not sure if there is demand for such service in Nusayaja? What do you think?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi everyone here. For those who have bought landed houses in JB or other parts of Malaysia, I was wondering if any of you noticed installation of earth pits and lightning protection on the roof. For rooftop, its usually laid with copper or aluminium tapes at the perimeter. But if its metal roof it can be bonded to steel structures to form the protective earthing. Reason why I'm asking is that I don't seem to notice it being installed, at least I never seem to see any earth pits. Which may explain some of the posted instances here where lightning wreaked havoc on appliances. Of course, having surge arrestors additionally helps too. Lightning protection is generally compulsory in s'pore for safety reasons. Houses on higher ground are especially vulnerable.

Information on lightning in SG: http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/home/lightning

Hi Mr Bean, yes there are but they do it differently here. Its pretty minimal compared to some of what we do in Singapore as we are one of the most lightning prone countries. I noticed that they will always have a large and high comms tower nearby some developments. There was some solutions proposed, such as doing what SG do but may result in more strikes on certain houses as you are basically installing something a lightning rod with a pointed tip and made of metal.

What i do is to lower my antenna, vulnerable spots, i would put surge protection equipment and remove the critical stuff from the most common point of lightning attack. So far though, it has worked out very well for me. The roof top part with a spike and a copper connection down along the walls to earth, that is for directing the lightning strike deep into the earth where the energy is dissipated.

More reading information:
Source:

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?sec=lifefocus&file=/2009/5/17/lifefocus/3895023

Arrest the surge

However, Lim emphasises that external lightning rods and downward conductors are just part of the story.

“Some people complain, ‘I have paid RM10,000 to my contractor Ah Meng or Ah Fatt to do lightning and earthing rods but why is my TV still getting damaged?’ What they don’t know is that a lot of damage to electrical equipment happens when lightning strikes power or telephone lines outside the building and a “power surge” travels along those lines and burns out stuff indoors.

Sometimes, lightning may strike the ground outside our buildings and the power surge can travel along the ground and then enter our homes through the building’s grounding wires. (see graphic Surge and destroy)

In other words, while a building may be protected inside a Faraday cage, any wires coming in are in effect “holes” puncturing that cage.

Lim cautions that a lightning bolt that hits 5km away can still cause damage because 500,000 volts of electricity carries a whole lot of power, sufficient to reach your home. (For comparison, the standard voltage supplied to households is 240 volts.) The solution is to have good “lightning surge arresters” which can deal with this massive tsunami of power coming through the telephone/power lines or our earth wires.

Lim notes that such power surges will usually affect corner terrace houses because that is where the electrical supply cables (for a row of terrace houses) are first connected to. So, in a way, the corner houses are “protecting” those in the middle.

“You are really paying the price for being a corner house,” Lim smiles. “The same argument applies to bungalows since they have their own power supply lines.”

Technical guide -
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf

GorengPisang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Wuqi, am keen to purchase office space to perhaps set up a psychology consulting firm in future. But not sure if there is demand for such service in Nusayaja? What do you think?

Eh, with property booming in Iskandar, prosperous businesses and relaxing lifestyle with all the resort homes like LF/EL/HH, i think hard press to see demand for psychology consulting......KL is a better place, commuting to work and back after work involves an average 3-4 hours back to back traffic with many reckless hell drivers cutting in & out.....alot of people need to go for anger management session :biggrin:....child psychology might see demand, for SG kids who have to wake up at 3am to commute to school in SG cos their parents cant leave their newly purchased house alone hehe

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something new to me on corner unit or bungalow.. Maybe need bigger surge protectors...

Information on lightning in SG: http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/home/lightning

Hi Mr Bean, yes there are but they do it differently here. Its pretty minimal compared to some of what we do in Singapore as we are one of the most lightning prone countries. I noticed that they will always have a large and high comms tower nearby some developments. There was some solutions proposed, such as doing what SG do but may result in more strikes on certain houses as you are basically installing something a lightning rod with a pointed tip and made of metal.

What i do is to lower my antenna, vulnerable spots, i would put surge protection equipment and remove the critical stuff from the most common point of lightning attack. So far though, it has worked out very well for me. The roof top part with a spike and a copper connection down along the walls to earth, that is for directing the lightning strike deep into the earth where the energy is dissipated.

More reading information:
Source:

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?sec=lifefocus&file=/2009/5/17/lifefocus/3895023

Arrest the surge

However, Lim emphasises that external lightning rods and downward conductors are just part of the story.

“Some people complain, ‘I have paid RM10,000 to my contractor Ah Meng or Ah Fatt to do lightning and earthing rods but why is my TV still getting damaged?’ What they don’t know is that a lot of damage to electrical equipment happens when lightning strikes power or telephone lines outside the building and a “power surge” travels along those lines and burns out stuff indoors.

Sometimes, lightning may strike the ground outside our buildings and the power surge can travel along the ground and then enter our homes through the building’s grounding wires. (see graphic Surge and destroy)

In other words, while a building may be protected inside a Faraday cage, any wires coming in are in effect “holes” puncturing that cage.

Lim cautions that a lightning bolt that hits 5km away can still cause damage because 500,000 volts of electricity carries a whole lot of power, sufficient to reach your home. (For comparison, the standard voltage supplied to households is 240 volts.) The solution is to have good “lightning surge arresters” which can deal with this massive tsunami of power coming through the telephone/power lines or our earth wires.

Lim notes that such power surges will usually affect corner terrace houses because that is where the electrical supply cables (for a row of terrace houses) are first connected to. So, in a way, the corner houses are “protecting” those in the middle.

“You are really paying the price for being a corner house,” Lim smiles. “The same argument applies to bungalows since they have their own power supply lines.”

Technical guide -
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans staying in Singapore might need more psychology consultancy... Singaporeans living in JB might need to take up some wushu or karete training instead..

Eh, with property booming in Iskandar, prosperous businesses and relaxing lifestyle with all the resort homes like LF/EL/HH, i think hard press to see demand for psychology consulting......KL is a better place, commuting to work and back after work involves an average 3-4 hours back to back traffic with many reckless hell drivers cutting in & out.....alot of people need to go for anger management session :biggrin:....child psychology might see demand, for SG kids who have to wake up at 3am to commute to school in SG cos their parents cant leave their newly purchased house alone hehe

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
PLEASE MAKE UP A PARTY AND SUPPORT NOAH’S ARK’s DINNER on November 13 at the renewed Straits View Hotel along the seafront, next to the old Macinta. Music from Vernon Cornelius and band from Singapore, so improper singalongs will be encouraged. Good 8 course Chinese dinner @ RM1000 per table – just RM$100 a head, and a good time is guaranteed. Immediately sms me for tickets @ 0127005415, as we only have 25 tables.
Raymund Wee plans to set up an Animal Birth Control (ABC) Clinic that will do high-volume sterilization of street strays and provide this almost free to those who cannot afford sterilization of their pets. And since we are now here in Johor, we will all benefit from stray-free roads and markets.
It will be an orchid-filled dining room, informal and fun – an evening to remember with good food, great music and wonderful company.
Also a good time to meet like-minded Johorians and your Singapore flens and neighbours who obviously are nice people, since they are supporting this good cause too.
WOULD ALL BROS AND SISTAHS PLEASE COME AND SUPPORT A TRUE CAUSE BY A TRUE SINGAPOREAN?

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal

For those Bros and Sis with corner unit, do you get 20 ft extra land on the side or 30 ft? Do you get the corner unit very early (even on the first day) at the beginning of the sales launch?

Yeah about 20ft I guess, Well its about 4m to 7m. I am not sure if it was the begining of the launch as I was driving around HH and asked for a corner lot. This was about 2 years back. But was lucky enough as there were only 2 conner units left.

Cheers

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Jasonjst, is there also a minimum price threshold of RM$500,00 for foreigners who want to purchase office space?

Not to sure about foreigner buying office leh . But I think foreigners can only buy 3 storey shophouses , which mostly way above 500K . To go around the problem , you can register a company and buy under company name.

BTW why dont rent first , office can be easily rent for 1K at good location. If biz is viable then commit long term buy.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something new to me on corner unit or bungalow.. Maybe need bigger surge protectors...

Thanks for the infor Bro.I've seen some spectacular lightning formations when at Nusajaya either on the highway or at HH. The rain is at times literally 'blinding' and the thunder is ear splitting!! Can't imagine the vast power that stored in that lightning bolt!!
Are there such lightning protection devices in Malaysia in particular JB? I know Bro Wuqi has mention those in Tesco. These are single application devices. The article suggest that there are 'arrestors' that can be applied to point of entry of transmission be it electrical or cable signals? Do any of the forummers know if any of those mentioned equipment is available here in Johore/Malaysia/Singapore and where to get them?

Last edited:

thegolf

Alfrescian
Loyal

Horizon hills The gateway 2 storey super link.

Nice extended balcony
0088p.jpg

Come with Jacuzzi bathtub!!!
0087w.jpg

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Prince Andrew opens the doors of Johor medical varsity

By Yee Xiang Yun
The Star/Asia News Network
Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011

JOHOR BARU - Prince Andrew the second son of Queen Elizabeth II opened Johor's latest international institute of learning, the Newcastle University of Medicine Malaysia (NUMed).

Dressed in a grey suit, the prince gave a brief speech when he opened the university in a hall that took in only a selected audience yesterday.

Students strained their necks to catch a glimpse of the royal guest and to take pictures of him from an upper terrace.

Prince Andrew said the opening of the campus would popularise the university and draw students from all over the world to the institution.

"It is an honour to have Johor and Britain to work together on the university. It is good collaboration," he added, thanking the state government under Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman as well as NUmed chancellor Sir Liam Donaldson and vice-chancellor Prof Chris Brink in their common quest for excellence.

About 80 students have begun a five-year course beginning September. The university at Nusajaya, near here, is targeting a student intake of 900 by 2017.

The campus is part of the broader 125ha EduCity that is being built in the Iskandar Malaysia development corridor and designed to promote the country as a world-class education hub and to house a range of international universities in one area.

Prince Andrew, who is also the Duke of York, arrived in Malaysia on Sunday for a three-day visit in his capacity as Britain's special representative for international trade and investment.

This is his second visit to Malaysia since 2001.

Abdul Ghani envisaged the university would become a major contributor to the national effort to raise the number of trained doctors from 3,000 annually to 4,000 in five years' time.

"The state is proud that NUMed is the first and flagship campus to be established at EduCity in Iskandar Malaysia and, therefore, represents a key British investment in this significant growth corridor," Abdul Ghani added.

Sir Liam said NUMed provided trans-national access to world-class medical education for Malaysian and international students, otherwise denied by geographical or financial circumstances.

"In the longer term, we hope very much to contribute to meeting Malaysia's human capital needs and also improving medical services and healthcare that people receive in the region," he said

Status
Not open for further replies.