• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pasture8

Alfrescian
Loyal
the loan rate depends how u nego with the bank , i told UXX , look , yr rate is not as fantastic as other banks , but if willing to loan me 90% , u will get the deal so I got it.
For me , abt RM54k including foreigner's levy.
My developer absorbed most of the legal fees etc , abt RM22k. if u buying subsale , then u have to pay a lot of money ....

Hello Crystal, we got 80% loan for our NI8b, according to the loan officer above 80% is uncommon for foreign buyers, but you got it :smile:

pasture8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Came across the below comment from a blog:

"reply to have faith: yes the interest rate might stay low for a bit longer due to the irrational market not understanding that they are collecting too low an interest rate. Eventually the bond vigilantes will start to stop buying the bond. The government can do two things at that point: direct monetization by buying the bond themselves by printing the money without sterilization but this will lead to high inflationary pressure which will compound the problem and eventually lead to hyperinflation if they buy all the bonds.

Or the treasury will cave in and forced to start increasing the interest rate. That was how in Uk for example that the gilt reached 15% interest rate( a stagflationary nightmare)

You should know that singapore do not set the interest rate as our sibor are affected by the US interest rate. When the interest rate rise eventually probably after 2014, a multidecade rise in interest rate is likely to follow. So anyone foolish to specualate or buy house at the top will be in great pain for the next two decade."

http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/12/housing-debt-slavery-how-it-can-occur.html

Can somebody care to enlighten on the intricacies of economics and finance? Cheers.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once u reach Gelang Patah town. Just drive on till u hit a dead junction, which is either turn right or left, u turn left. There are signage showing u to leisure farm, u will not miss it

Many thanks.

I went today , but only find 1 bata shop near watson but no money changer...so i went to the one inside the gold jewelry shop and changed .
Rate is 243.20.
So there is another bata shop at interchange ? i am so confused...

It's the one opposite the Mcdonalds at the old bus interchange. From the bata shop, walk further down past the Ocbc branch and past the car park entrance/exit crossing. You will usually see a queue there, the money changer is before the Uob branch.

I went today during lunchtime and only got 243.1 !

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks.

It's the one opposite the Mcdonalds at the old bus interchange. From the bata shop, walk further down past the Ocbc branch and past the car park entrance/exit crossing. You will usually see a queue there, the money changer is before the Uob branch.

I went today during lunchtime and only got 243.1 !

Oh. So my rate is not bad huh. No queue at all

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor property poised to draw spotlight
Iskandar Malaysia, new stamp duty on S'pore property deals drive interest

By PAULINE NG
IN KUALA LUMPUR

MORE costly private homes in Singapore - the result of new taxes - as well as perceivable improvements to Iskandar Malaysia, could turn the spotlight on Johor real estate next year.

Analysts expect the southern Malaysian state to benefit from the recent move by the Singapore government to make home ownership more within reach of a wider group, with UEM Land looking in good position to capitalise on the changes given its very sizeable landbank in Iskandar.

Last week, the Singapore government slapped foreign buyers with an additional 10 per cent tax on the value of residential properties acquired. Permanent residents buying second and subsequent homes and Singaporeans acquiring third or subsequent houses were also hit, albeit with an extra 3 per cent tax.

Around the same time, Malaysia's Genting group officially opened South-east Asia's first branded discount Premium Outlets in Kulai Jaya, north of Johor. Already, the Johor Premium Outlets (JPO) has attracted hordes of shoppers to its 70 stores - many apparently from Singapore - few leaving without bags. So encouraged are its owners, Genting Plantations and Premium Outlets, that they are already talking about the second phase of 60 additional stores and a water theme park in three to four years' time.

Local daily The Star reported that in total some RM1 billion (S$410.5 million) would be invested in the JPO project with other components in the pipeline to include a 2,000 room hotel with facilities for the lucrative meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions segment.

Although not within the special economic zone, JPO will certainly bring more locals, Singaporeans and other foreigners to Johor. This is set to benefit Iskandar Malaysia which five years to its launch is beginning to look more appealing in part also because a number of infrastructure projects have been completed.

If UEM Land's property sales this year are any indication, interest is mounting. The government linked company sold nearly RM1.8 billion worth of properties in the first nine months compared to RM948 million for the whole of last year.

In the third quarter, the flagship zone of Nusajaya contributed RM382 million compared to non-Nusajaya new sales of RM367 million.

In a client report, CIMB noted demand in Nusajaya appears to be gathering momentum as Q3's new sales topped 1H11's RM357 million. But UEM Land does not expect Nusajaya sales to exceed non-Nusajaya sales until 2013.

Landbanking is also on the rise, with the report noting a buyer's interest in 100 plus acres of Nusajaya land valued at over RM100 million. The sale is only expected to be concluded next year.

At the Putri Harbour area, UEM Land's maiden condo project of 246 units soft-launched in September is 61 per cent sold.

Prices averaged RM725 psf, 'a figure unheard of in Johor,' the stockbroker observed.

Four out of ten buyers were Malaysians, the rest from Singapore and Japan. Several purchased units because they plan to send their children to EduCity where Marlborough College and the medicine faculty of Newcastle University will be located.

UEM Land is apparently toying with the idea of bringing forward two condo projects but marketed under the Sunrise brand, having bought out the shareholders of the luxury condo developer last year.

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read a few good discussions on the potential of JB city centre. Looks like developers are taking a lot of interest. I am not sure if anyone read the article below:

http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/20111208205710/Article/

Looks like SP Setia is planning the "Group's first high-rise luxury integrated residential and commercial project in JB City Centre called 88 Setia"

Also, I have been getting emails (banks selling information, I guess) regarding some high end development named 'Summerscape' in the JB City Centre, as well as Tropez at Danga Bay.

Wondering if anyone else heard about the above 2 ........

I am mostly invested in Nusajaya, but I have got to believe in the potential in the City Centre given such high end development are planned and the MRT comes through.

Good news. They need to plan on building office buildings too. They need space to give jobs to the people that will live in the buildings. I am sure plenty will be commuting to Singapore (especially with the MRT extension). But it is in JB's interest to have a reasonably strong office presence also in downtown and in near the MRT plans. JB should aim to take not just housing for some in Singpore but take some of the jobs (outsourced from Singapore) - look at how the suburbs around Manhattan have developed. There are definitely more jobs in Manhattan (but the suburbs also have gained large office building in the last few decades). Those help keep the suburbs economies strong.

It does seem the plans for city center are there. It is a bit worrying that people are putting so much focus out near the 2nd link that they might neglect the center (and they really have to worry about jams if they don't deal with greatly increased traffic - you need to improve mass transit, make walking more friendly...). As you mention if they actually at 5 MRTs quickly (having MRT in JB connected to Singapore in 8 years would be fast). By the time tunnels are being built and sites are definite there will be huge interest in developing near them.

One smart real estate strategy (where zoning, roads... are critical) is line up your investments with very powerful investors so that you will benefit if they get what will help them. They normally will - that is why they are rich:-) they know how to get things done. Sometimes if their needs conflict with other powerful people's needs they may not succeed but often this won't be an issue (for example the general area where the MRT goes is going to boom - the exact location of the entrances may favor one powerful person or another). The biggest issues now for the MRT is the money actually being allocated to do the work and the plans created to make the process smooth - if there are 20 minute backlogs often that is going to make the MRT much less appealing).

If we get lucky we will have a bunch of large investors who have a big interest in getting the MRTs done quickly and having them be done well (good urban planning, walkable areas, good bus routes to the stations, immigration that is very efficient (they are going to have you clear both countries one after the other which is very good [only getting out of the trains once]). The governments both want this. But if we have a bunch of powerful investors pushing for it to get priority I have more trust in that than just a good idea. People that have been successful and have lots of money at stake are going to be very interested to make sure things don't get slowed down and are done right (though truthfully the "done right" part many investors are too sort sighted for - but the very best have a long term view).

The jams at KSL are a good example. I just can't believe that they are not going to fix the roads there somehow. Because now it is already a mess often, and the condos are not even occupied. My guess is with all the money being put in there they must have the clout to make changes to improve the traffic situation.

TayJC

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi tayjc
U may wanna look at Nusa Idaman or Horizon Hills and also other areas like Adda, Bandar Dato Onn and many similar devt. Seeing is believing. U might just get one that suits u n family.

Hi Narmi,

HH is at least RM1.1mil now.

I heard Nusa Idaman has safety issues. Also, many Malays are staying there. I am afraid that I might not fit in very well there.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went today , but only find 1 bata shop near watson but no money changer...so i went to the one inside the gold jewelry shop and changed .
Rate is 243.20.
So there is another bata shop at interchange ? i am so confused...

Hi crystal
I got 243.5 at JB CIQ after Shell station. Trick is ask for the current exchange rate wic is usually more than wat they state in my case 2 days ago was 240. But when i ask she show on calculator 243 n when i told i wanna change a certain amt she gave me 243.5.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi crystal
I got 243.5 at JB CIQ after Shell station. Trick is ask for the current exchange rate wic is usually more than wat they state in my case 2 days ago was 240. But when i ask she show on calculator 243 n when i told i wanna change a certain amt she gave me 243.5.

Oh. I tried before but sometimes e rate is less than sg. I changed 4. Figures today leh. Haiz

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia climbs up FDI ladder

Malaysia climbs up FDI ladder

Zaidi Isham Ismail

2011/12/08

Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia is among the world’s top 10 most attractive destinations for foreign direct investment (FDI), according to global management consultant A.T. Kearney.
The consulting firm highlighted this in its FDI Confident Index study, which collated data from senior executives of the world’s leading companies in 17 sectors from 27 countries.

A.T. Kearney noted that Malaysia had experienced a significant jump up the index to 10th from 21st position, thanks to inflows which soared 537 per cent to US$9 billion (RM28 billion)
in 2010 from 2009.

“This number will be further surpassed in 2011 and is likely to continue in this positive direction based on the sentiments reflected in the index,” A.T. Kearney Southeast Asia group managing director Joon Leong Ooi said in a statement yesterday.

This is arguably the first time ever Malaysia has moved into the top 10 list, suggesting that the government’s transformation programmes are producing results.

The country’s higher position is driven by wealthier consumer markets and abundant natural resources.

A.T. Kearney said there has been a major growth for Southeast Asia with Malaysia and other major economies enjoying a huge upswing in FDI this year, reaping the benefits of low labour cost that were once primarily China’s domain.

These countries are also luring investors with their large and increasingly wealthy consumer markets, it added.

The region has nearly 600 million people and an economy that is bigger than India’s.

Singapore, as a global financial centre and a regional hub for many multinationals, has benefited considerably from increasing investments in Southeast Asia. It moved to 7th in the index from 24th place in 2010.

Indonesia also made significant gains, moving from 20th to 9th place.

Two other Southeast Asian countries in the top 25 are Vietnam (14th) and Thailand (16th).

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ismail said many multinational corporations (MNCs) and SMEs from Europe, China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan have shown strong interest in investing in Iskandar.

JOHOR BARU: Development in Iskandar Malaysia will bring economic opportunities and benefits not only to the big companies and investors but also to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).

“We welcome all investors regardless of their size, what's important is that Iskandar and its residents will benefit from their presence in the long run,'' he told StarBizWeek.

He added that local SMEs would definitely benefit as they could work closely with their foreign counterparts in term of technology transfer and exploring new export markets.

There are more than 26,000 SMEs in Johor at the end of 2008 and 65% of them are located in Iskandar.

“Local SMEs should not regard the presence of the MNCs and foreign SMEs in Iskandar as a threat to them but more like opening windows of opportunities,'' said Ismail.

He said the SMEs supplying parts and components for the MNCs under the vendor system would benefit as manufacturing was one of the main economic activities in Iskandar.

SMEs would remain at the backbone of the country's economy as they have been around for years, supporting the big companies and MNCs, according to Ismail.

He noted that several of the public-listed companies from Johor started as SMEs and through perseverance and hard work had now emerged as multi-million dollar entities.

He said the SMEs should utilise the Iskandar Malaysia Service Centre located at the Irda headquarters in Danga Bay here to get a better insight on the business opportunities available for them in the growth corridor.

Johor executive chairman for Unity, Human Resources, Science, Technology and Innovation M. Asojan said more than 55,000 new jobs were created since the inception of Iskandar Malaysia on Nov 4, 2006.

“More job opportunities will be created in the coming years based on the momentum taking place in Iskandar Malaysia and the progress it made in the last five years,'' he said.

Asojan said there were plenty of choices for job seekers from the nine clusters in Iskandar Malaysia and candidates must know what was good for them based on their academic qualification, skills and knowledge.

The economic clusters are electrical and electronics, petrochemical and oleochemical, food and agro processing, logistics and related services, tourism, health services, educational services, financial services and ICT & Creative Industries.

He said the newly opened Johor Premium Outlets in Kulaijaya had created 3,000 job opportunities while Legoland Theme Park which was set to open by the end of 2012 would require thousands of workers as well.

“Iskandar Malaysia needs about 250,000 high-skilled workers within the next 10 to 15 years, bringing the numbers to 850,000 from 600,000 presently,'' added Asojan.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi guys, below is a recap of some investments received or handled by just IIB(not IRDA which represents Iskandar as a whole).
Mainly just about Medini and EduCity. Information was published about half a year ago though.
Of course, more investments have been committed till date. Eg. Temasek's RM3 Billion, 2 China's companies' RM2.5 billion and RM1.8 billion investments in Medini.

ISKANDAR INVESTMENT
Corporate Milestones

2007-2008
LAUNCH :
Medini Iskandar Malaysia

SIGNED :
LEGOLAND Malaysia
Newcastle University Medicine (NUMed), the first faculty at EduCity

2009-2010
COMPLETION :
INFRASTRUCTURE
Yahya Awal Interchange(2010) Jalan Kolam Air Upgrading (2010)

GROUNDBREAKING :
The Stadium and Sports Complex (2010)
LEGOLAND Malaysia (2010)

SIGNED :
Marlborough College UK (2010)
WCT Bhd for 1 Medini (2009)
Medini Square with Bina Puri Holdings (2009)
Management Development Institute of Singapore (2010)
Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology (NMIT) (2010)

2011-2012

COMPLETION :

EDUCITY@ISKANDAR
Marlborough College (2012)
Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia, NUMed (2011)
Multi-Varsity Enterprise Building (2012)
Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology, NMIT (2012)
Khazanah Trust School s(2012)
International Student Village (2012)
Stadium and Sports Complex (2012)

INFRASTRUCTURE
Ulu Tiram Interchange (2011)
Senai-Skudai Highway (2011)
Jalan Abu Bakar – Jalan Skudai (2011)
Coastal Highway (2011)
Jalan Abu Bakar Interchange (2012)
Medini Infrastructure Projects (2012)

LEGOLAND Malaysia (2012)
Lifestyle Retail Mall and
Residences at Medini North (2012)

SIGNED :
Raffles Education Corp
Southampton University Malaysia Campus

2013-2014

COMPLETION :
1 Medini (2013/2014)
Medini Residences (2013/2014)
Medini Square (2013/2014)
Office Towers (2013/2014)
Theme Hotel (2013/2014)
Pinewood Studios (2013)
Gleneagles Medini Hospital (2013)
LEGOLAND Water Theme Park (2013)
Raffles University Iskandar (2013)
Management Development Institute of Singapore (2013)

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am sure most at this forum share the same view! Nice home...:smile: article is at Pg 48 - 59. For those who are already living it well done, those who are thinking of it, explore it. For the skeptic, keep watching it.

http://www.expatliving.sg/currentissue/online-magazine/2011/06June_Issue107/index.html#/46/

I think the guy in the article posted in some forums about his move to Ledang Heights way back in 2008. Below is his post copied from http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic51228-0-asc-0.html:

I'm an expat with a family and we're building a house in Ledang Heights (right next to East Ledang). I have several friends that are doing the same (nearly all expats) and some are already living there.

When we first starting looking into it, we experienced the same negative responses that I'm reading here. You need to see through the prejudice and clutter to make a decision that works for you. My wife and I both have engineering and architecture backgrounds which helps.

Commute:
Many people don't realize that this development is 7 minutes over the Tuas link, and not north over the causeway. Most people making negative comments about the commute have only driven over on the weekends when traffic is at its worse. During the week (when you and your kids will be coming into Singapore for work and school) you can expect a commute of 35 to 50 minutes into the CBD. My kids attend the Canadian School. When the new campus is completed (near Chinese Garden) their commute will be only 25 minutes (all these times include border crossing/immigration). These are average times that I have personally experienced. The worst traffic is during weekends and holidays (Chinese New Year) and when the odd terrorist escapes from local custody (that one took me 3 hours at the border. Typical weekend traffic is about 45 minutes to an hour at the border - but this is coming from Singapore into Malaysia. Malaysia to Singapore is against the flow of traffic and faster. Remember you will live there and you don't care how long it takes for others to come into Malaysia. You'll be headed into Singapore against the traffic). No problem for someone used to a minimum 1 hour commute (or 2 hours in the snow).

Security
Again, please note there is a difference between JB (Johor Bahru) and Johor (the state). This development is not in JB. It is in a township called Nusajaya, which is the capital city of the iskandar project. These communities are gated and guarded and the entire area is not as highly populated as JB. JB (by singapore standards) has a higher crime rate. However, anyone who has lived outside of Singapore is familiar with employing some common street sense. JB is no more dangerous then any other major city in the world, and Nusajaya is "country living" by comparison. Your commute to Singapore is direct on the highway and there is no need to go down any local sideroads (if this is a concern - it's not for me).

Government and Iskandar project
It is true what one of the posters said - government changes can impact your investment. This is true anywhere in the world. Will they shut down the Iskandar project? Perhaps parts of it. The Iskandar project is huge. On a grand scale it combines several projects into one. For my investment I care only about one of those projects - Nusajaya. This is the "jewel" of Iskandar and the new government offices are almost completed. It would be foolish to kill that part of the project. Could it still happen? Perhaps but I doubt it. Just take a drive around the area and you'll be amazed by what is already built. Ask yourself this question - if the worse case scenario is that you have a beautiful home within a 1/2 hour commute of Singapore CBD and nothing else happens with that development, will you still be happy? That one was an easy one for me.

Construction Quality and cost
You get what you pay for but don't confuse total cost with Construction cost. Just because the total cost is cheaper than singapore does not mean the quality is worse. The reason things are cheap in Johor is because the land is cheap. The next variable you have to play with is the construction cost and this will vary by developer. You don't want to go cheap here or you will get some of the problems that others have posted about above. Make sure you go with a reputable developer. The only way to do this is look at existing homes. Also make sure your contract is ironclad - deadlines, materials, etc all need to be included in the specs. Be very vigilant about this. Saying floors are "hardwood" is not descriptive enough. You need to know type of wood, plank thickness and length, etc or you will end up with parquet veneer.

East Ledang is actually of good quality. I've checked it out myself. It's not top of the line (finishes, etc) but its very good value for money. We decided on a custom designed home on a larger piece of land so we are building in Ledang Heights. There you can get much bigger plots and can build your dream home. Ledang East has smaller plots and smaller homes. Still - that's a personal decision. If you like what you see then go for it. Although it's not advertised there is still plenty of land available 3rd party at Ledang Heights. It's 100% sold to other investors so the people in the office there won't bother mentioning it to you.

Can you get cheaper housing? Of course! Price is based primarily on land so it's all about location, location, location. Ledang area is prime for a very good reason. It is the closest (as the car drives) residential community to the Tuas link. It is also a beautiful sprawling gated community. Just take a drive around there to see all the amenities going up. Marina, commercial district, etc.

Schools
We'll have to wait and see. There are already some signed deals that see international schools in the area but that's about 2 years away. For now you need to make your decision based on a commute for kids into Singapore. This commute will vary depending on school location - see above for our personal commute times.

Immigration
How do you retain your EP? PR? etc. There are lots of options to this and a bit too long to add to an already long post. But it's not a problem. You can send me a message separately and I'd be happy to talk you through it.

Final Analysis
Taking all of the above into consideration the decision was easy for us. We're moving into an 8000 sqft custom designed Balinese villa on 30,000 sqft freehold land complete with landscaping, pool and 2 dogs. Total cost less than my 1300 sqft condo in Singapore. Yes, I will be saving money and increasing quality of living

Status
Not open for further replies.