• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hey aangsc , mallow and wuqi can count you guys in or not ? Without your expertise things might not goes so well leh !
Lastresort , think you 2nd option is better lah , can farm and hope for land to be converted to residential ....

I think need to setup a SDN BHD with say capital paid up of 1M , all shareholders be issue with share certificate right ? Then can appoint a working committee to go look for land , equiptment , workers ....etc .
All the progress, meeting , reports can be update at a website setup for this purpose. Can alway change or rotate working commitee every year if members not happy with performance . Accoutability is the key too !

Thanks Jasonjst for the kind offer. I know you and Fairies meant well.

There has been more than a few cases of issues arising from business ventures and sales on this website. Others have also warned about possible cheating cases before on other threads.

As such, i would seriously say unless you know anyone personally, otherwise refrain from any such business ventures.

If you must, then go and get a copy of everyones NRIC who are going to be involved and verify the background before even going forth. The person who owns the land would also need to show the deed and relevant tax documents on the land so that the ownership can be proven.

At least then if something goes wrong, we can utilize the necessary connections to take action..

There may also be an implementation of LLP in Malaysia in the later part of the year with arguably more benefits and less issues than incorporating a company. For those keen to start a company, do remember the necessary filing and secretarial stuff to do resolution, minutes to avoid the heavy penalties.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The idea is very feasible and really attractive, the only issue is on the division of the responsibility/liability and most importantly the trustworthiness of the individuals here as most of us don't know each other in real life. For those who know me, some commented i am the exact person online as in real life but thats just me. If its for agricultural, you would need to find out how to overcome the shortage of labour. Its very difficult to get labour here these days even if you are willing to pay more. A learned lecturer of mine (bless her soul) wanted to set up one early last year, we went as far as to find out all the stuff required for this but in the end she decided not to.

Even the owner of the land i went to told me its very difficult to find workers to maintain and to harvest. There is also the problem of finding if there are existing squatters, source of water for irrigation, condition of the land/top soil, etc. All these needs to be looked into, its less riskier if one considers something like a wellness village, etc.

Again, i would recommend having a D&B report or a back ground check on all the individuals who are joining in this venture.
Just being able to meet up to meet and discuss this in SG would already discount some characters who cannot come back to SG and act as the first level of filter.

fairies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Jasonjst for the kind offer. I know you and Fairies meant well.

There has been more than a few cases of issues arising from business ventures and sales on this website. Others have also warned about possible cheating cases before on other threads.

As such, i would seriously say unless you know anyone personally, otherwise refrain from any such business ventures.

If you must, then go and get a copy of everyones NRIC who are going to be involved and verify the background before even going forth. The person who owns the land would also need to show the deed and relevant tax documents on the land so that the ownership can be proven.

At least then if something goes wrong, we can utilize the necessary connections to take action..

There may also be an implementation of LLP in Malaysia in the later part of the year with arguably more benefits and less issues than incorporating a company. For those keen to start a company, do remember the necessary filing and secretarial stuff to do resolution, minutes to avoid the heavy penalties.

yes, wuqi, agree with you ... that's why i said i prefer to just sell off the land when the price is right ... no need to say to make venture with people outside the family, even to do it together with my siblings i still have doubt it will turn out fine in the long run ... nobody knows what kind of ugly family disputes can arise in the future

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the thought of worms makes me squirm... So while i am preparing compost now from all the dead/rotting leaves/peeled veg and fruits... i am hoping the worms dun arrive...:smile::smile:

Perhaps I lost most of my geely feeling about worms when my father and other male members of the clan praised me for spitting on the sand at Changi and digging up sea-sand worms for them to go fishing with - I was never a tomboy, so this was high praise for me.

AP sweetie, earthworms are friends because they aerate the soil and their worm castings are one of the best fertilisers you can ever get.... and free since they are eating microbes/junk from the soil and re-processing it all into organic fertiliser. You are not likely to see them either, once they are in the soil.

The Home Worm Farm is another story, but a simple one, made with double styrofoam boxes. Lots to read here: http://www.yates.com.au/kids-gardening/in-the-garden/build-a-worm-farm/ and a simplified version here: http://www.yates.com.au/kids-gardening/in-the-garden/build-a-worm-farm/

Highly educational project for kids too. Still sourcing the worms [these are not common garden worms] and glad of help from anyone who knows.

If we are able to get going, I will write again to a friend in Perth who had them very successfully, asking her advice on which stuff the worms really enjoyed and other such important information.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am hoping to plant more pines in my precint once SETIA TROPIKA RC hands over charge to local committee.... I dun mind sponsoring them as well... Giving back to nature bro.... But then i am not alone... need approval from fellow members before can do anything... As usual many may suggest fruit trees. then how?
Ah... il tell them sure got bird problem later...must remember this point...

Palms cause the least amount of leaf droppings. Pines are next - which is why Singaporeans who have no time/energy for constant maintenance select palms and pines. This is a huge green improvement on putting concrete over everything to be washed down with water.

The HDB made all sorts of rules many years ago because residents complained about the rise in insects (not all were mosquitoes) when determined people had potted plants all over. Where there are flowers there will be insects.

Quick reminder: Certain fruit trees are known to attract certain insects eg the rambutan tree will attract ants, and the soursop tree is loved by the red ants who love to build their football shaped nests in these trees.

Birds eat fruit, then excrete the seeds or drop them quite far away from the original tree. If we enjoy birdsong and want birds, they will come when you have food for them eg the MacArthur Palm is loved by birds for their seeds and thick shade for them to build their nests.

If it's all too much ... well, you know the ways of Nature. But please be encouraged to grow any and all types of trees, bushes, flowers and vegetable vines - ALL good to counteract the concrete, tarmac and buildings we necessarily put up. No tree is so much better than another tree that we have to argue about it. There may be exceptions, like the neem and the bilva also the coconut, which are exceptional in producing food, wood and medicinal remedies - but they need really big gardens. Others are simply beautiful, so who cares?
ALL plants (rare exceptions?) produce oxygen. Wah, I'm beginning to lecture ... apologies to alal.

hangyong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure whether to said you are lucky or unlucky....you are not the first msian I know inheritted agri land of about 5 footbal fields. A frenz of mine also own one in East M'sia. I said make it into retirement village , then we can rent his place for months/years when we are ready . Maybe should consider renting the place for planting veg meantime , that would be low risk and send to SG . One of my colleague family is doing that. Tree tends to bear fruits slower. Veg and poultry will be faster. I remember planting seven mango trees and a durain tree when young. The durain bear fruit at year 15 years when we were shifting out. Of course you could use marcotting method , shorter but start up higher.

Anyway you need to organize a site tour first lah. How to make feasibility study without site observation ? What kind of soil also affect what to plant. Water source also need to consider. Site supervision also needed.

Actually I would very much like a rustic farmstay in Johor , not sure if any one already planning to consider that.

I am in for that kind of life....

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wuqi's suggestion is very very good. there's tons of problems to set up this sort of stuff. there will be heaps of disagreement in the end, and a lot of people might not see eye to eye anymore. If's it's for fun , yes but , a such a scale i would say it's damn difficult. workers will be a big problem.

The idea is very feasible and really attractive, the only issue is on the division of the responsibility/liability and most importantly the trustworthiness of the individuals here as most of us don't know each other in real life. For those who know me, some commented i am the exact person online as in real life but thats just me. If its for agricultural, you would need to find out how to overcome the shortage of labour. Its very difficult to get labour here these days even if you are willing to pay more. A learned lecturer of mine (bless her soul) wanted to set up one early last year, we went as far as to find out all the stuff required for this but in the end she decided not to.

Even the owner of the land i went to told me its very difficult to find workers to maintain and to harvest. There is also the problem of finding if there are existing squatters, source of water for irrigation, condition of the land/top soil, etc. All these needs to be looked into, its less riskier if one considers something like a wellness village, etc.

Again, i would recommend having a D&B report or a back ground check on all the individuals who are joining in this venture.
Just being able to meet up to meet and discuss this in SG would already discount some characters who cannot come back to SG and act as the first level of filter.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wuqi's suggestion is very very good. there's tons of problems to set up this sort of stuff. there will be heaps of disagreement in the end, and a lot of people might not see eye to eye anymore. If's it's for fun , yes but , a such a scale i would say it's damn difficult. workers will be a big problem.

[/QUOTE]The idea is very feasible and really attractive, the only issue is on the division of the responsibility/liability and most importantly the trustworthiness of the individuals here as most of us don't know each other in real life. For those who know me, some commented i am the exact person online as in real life but thats just me. If its for agricultural, you would need to find out how to overcome the shortage of labour. Its very difficult to get labour here these days even if you are willing to pay more. A learned lecturer of mine (bless her soul) wanted to set up one early last year, we went as far as to find out all the stuff required for this but in the end she decided not to.

.[/QUOTE]

Like I say right in the begining the biggest problem is to get 50 people to work as a big company towards a common goal Indiviual should just treat it as though buying some peny stock like that. Working principle should be like our MCST like that , Not too worry about trust worthiness of indivisual shareholders , because the Management Committee must be able to come out a trustworth plan to protect the fund , offcourse if Management Committee conspire to run away the money , LL liao !
So most important is who are trustworthy to run the committee , indiviual shareholder {they are like any resident in HH , you can never know who they are , they just pay monthly fees and can make lots of noise } cant run away the money because the money is with the Company mah ! As for everybody wanted to implement their ideas , which is best ideas .... probably will be going though meetings and votes lor , maybe can vote over the internet lar .

Example : To plant a) palm oil b) mangos c) Durians d) Mixed crops
Management Comittee will meet to disscuss and do feasibility study , come out report to tell members everything about option a , b, c, d like pro and cons , profitability , risk ,everything that the comittee found out . Then member can go to the internet and click on their choice mah . End of the day , we should get to know more JB Kaki when we settle down in JB , right ? If the few grands can find you a few good JB Kaki and learn a few new tricks is worth it already . Frankly speaking how much return can we get by investing just a few Ks . There are many Singaporean just walk into MBS and gamble away more money in just few hours lor , but come to buying a JB house or investment like this they become extra Kaisi lor . But I belive people in this forum are different leh ... since we are consider pioneer in JB living liao ! It is unthinkable to 80 percent of Singaporean leh.
BTW ,I am trustworthy to keep your money , but I am lousy to growth your money ... I just know how to put your money in the bank , you want it , I give it back to you ! so dont appoint me , haha ..

BTW , what is Wellness Village ? this option can also be consider lor
How about old folks home ? can or not ?

Last edited:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about old folks home ? can or not ?[/QUOTE]

Temasek and Khazanah already planning a iconic wellness village , how to compete with them ?
Old folk home need medical staff and deal with sick and dead ,are you sure you want to deal with that ?
Actually when I suggest to my frenz to built something more of retirement rustic living resort for short/mid term stay , not for sick and dependent type.
Anyway, your is agri land , don't think it fit. Need to be very careful for anything other than agri , otherwise, after pump $ , authority may ask to tear down later, it will sour relationship.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about old folks home ? can or not ?

Temasek and Khazanah already planning a iconic wellness village , how to compete with them ?
Old folk home need medical staff and deal with sick and dead ,are you sure you want to deal with that ?
Actually when I suggest to my frenz to built something more of retirement rustic living resort for short/mid term stay , not for sick and dependent type.
Anyway, your is agri land , don't think it fit. Need to be very careful for anything other than agri , otherwise, after pump $ , authority may ask to tear down later, it will sour relationship.[/QUOTE]

Yah right , old folks home is very very heavy investment .... should keep to something simple and within our means .
Resort also sould good but high investment and need lots of marketing , good quality service staffs otherwise Sinkies complaint like hell ! haha !

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Agriculture land = Just do agriculture stuff as there are lots of restrictions including even the size, level and type of material you build a house on. This is as its supposed to be a simple lodging for the owner and likely the staff. Irrigation matters as well as labour issues will the ones that will keep you up at night.

On a lighter note, found a couple of hidden places that are very "fruitful", will attempt to drive through there with a beat up car to collect durians early in the morning. Yum yum.

Bros who are keen to do a biz in JB, not saying you shouldn't but do go in with your eyes open. I almost made a mistake recently in JB but managed to rectify through some friends of mine. It could have been a costly mistake and being a foreigner here means i am at a higher threshold of risk should things go south.

It may be a few thousand and small change to most of us but it doesn't mean people like to be cheated, even though its $1 dollar, who likes to be cheated? It also does not mean the end of ones losses should something go wrong.

Going into business means liability should something happen even if you are using a corporate veil, it does not 100% discharge one of any liability. As long as the company directors are put in, they are running the show and fully liable to discharge their responsibilities. Lots of cases of people from both sides of the border who started a get rich quick scheme and then disappeared. Some can't even go into SG or vice versa anymore. The company law here is strict and if you didn't do a proper job of winding up, you might be barred from coming into the country until the matter is resolved properly.

Not scaring anyone here, these are facts which needs to be examined before you commit to any kind of business venture. I am sorely tempted by what some of the bros shared here or on PM, in fact, i have a couple of learned and well heeled friends are asking me of possible business ventures. Some of whom may be reading this right now. I rather be a bad guy up front and tell you of the difficulties but i will also share what i know about the possible solutions.

Just like Jin Yong novels always tell you, the poison and antidote may sometimes be found at the same place. There are always ways to get around but one should know before one commits right?

Resident committe or township management stuff, no one can control who comes into the estate but at least in a company, for those joining, you want to know what kind of company you are going into, for those accepting new shareholders, you will also need to know the background especially those you appoint as nomineee or shareholders. In the end, it might not be just the few thousand capital you may lose but your liability as part of the company should anything go wrong.

If you are still reading this, congratulations, you have gone past the initial part of the poison to weed out those who give up at the first sign of trouble.

Now if you are still keen to explore business, there is a part 2 to this.
Akan datang :smile:

Disclaimer: Please note that these are just Wuqi's humble 1 cent worth and you are free to invest blindly, don't do your due diligence to find out more about another country's laws and become vicariously liable.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Jasonjst, i am fully supportive of the idea of starting up a biz in MY. in fact, i already have 2 x revenue stream generating businesses here in Malaysia, one in the form from the monthly rental and then another one, a biz that my wife runs 100%.

Just doing my duty to remind all to go in with eyes wide open and know the lay of the land first(rules & laws). As a distant relative once said to me:

The art of war is of vital importance to the State.
It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected

If i had only heeded the 2nd and third part of the statements and not just trusted, relied or was simply too busy to find out more. It would have saved me a lot of anguish, anxiety and pain back when i started my first business in SG.

Always do your due dilligence is the short summary of it.

I would suggest having a business plan and review it with an advisor in business like those doing this professionally, they can then advise you of anything to look out for, licensing or government regulations and restrictions as well as ways to get around this. I am not the best person to advise but there are many in the market who can.

Some of my favourite quotes:

Losers are people who turn back at the first sign of trouble, winners are those who already brought along the map and their best guns tucked in the belt -
Shared by another learned relative of Wuqi (unfortunately he is deceased since 1997)

Go forth and multiply!!!

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Again, agri land = use mainly for agri purposes. The chances of a conversion to residential/commercial is very slim unless one is very lucky or very well connected and likely for those who succeed, they will have a mix of both.

For those who are keen into biz, there are more than 30 types of businesses that will make money here. I did a feasibility study based on some folks i know as well as what some kind soul at certain government organization shared with me.

Wellness village for one can be done on a small scale and incorporate some kind of health screening, spa or massage as part of a package. You can cater to those lesser well heeled as those our government are targetting are from a different crowd. The key is to be different and offer value and quality in the same package.

Old age home can definitely do but to deal with the dead and dying, it will take out years of my life from my from the grief. Hence as what i told my very learned neighbour, i know it can be done but i just can't bring my heart to do it unless i really run it hands free.

The following is copyright of Wuqi256 (feel free to use but please do quote:smile: )

The common term death and taxes were definitely a censored version of:
Old, Sick, Death and Taxes, why Taxes behind Death? Because the tax man will still be after you and your decendants even after your death.

Old and Sick - Universal path one takes so if one looks at the industry arising out of these 2 (still currently) common issues, there are lots of business opportunities.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Wuqi , you are right ... if after started up , biz go into unforsee trouble , everybody goes disappear , directors of the company sure kena jialiat one ! Hence I guess nobody would like to be directors in our kind of biz model .
Anyway , response is weak as of now .. cant get the number . Best if biz is started only by oneself , but then will be very high capital and risk lor ! Our biz model is more of a " academic model " , fine tune it , make it work, learn from it and people involves can move on on their own lor.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuqi , you are right ... if after started up , biz go into unforsee trouble , everybody goes disappear , directors of the company sure kena jialiat one ! Hence I guess nobody would like to be directors in our kind of biz model .
Anyway , response is weak as of now .. cant get the number . Best if biz is started only by oneself , but then will be very high capital and risk lor ! Our biz model is more of a " academic model " , fine tune it , make it work, learn from it and people involves can move on on their own lor.

If they can allow LLP and for foreigners to form LLP in MY, it will be easier and better with less problems with extrication of one from the company. Of course, during ones terms, one is still liable even after you quit for the period when you controlled or have a say in the company operations.

Bro Jasonjst, please don't get me wrong, i am very much into seeing people succeed and i have no sour grapes mentality. I just share this so that we are aware and know where to seek help. Doing business here is definitely VERY viable, just need to be mindful of the "house rules" thats all.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they can allow LLP and for foreigners to form LLP in MY, it will be easier and better with less problems with extrication of one from the company. Of course, during ones terms, one is still liable even after you quit for the period when you controlled or have a say in the company operations.

Bro Jasonjst, please don't get me wrong, i am very much into seeing people succeed and i have no sour grapes mentality. I just share this so that we are aware and know where to seek help. Doing business here is definitely VERY viable, just need to be mindful of the "house rules" thats all.

BTW what is LLP any different from a SDN BHD ? Is there a high cost involved in starting a LLP ?
Not to worry , best to know the hidden danger ... like you pointed out the difficulty in getting workers and even simple issue like water supply to the plot of land can be overlook . Will get you to do consultation if someday wanted to setup a biz in MY lor , what is your fees ? haha .

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting reading about the dream to own a collective farm. It can be a reality some day. Just not yet....the reality is we know forumers not ready to meet up yet .

Long ago my father owned a plot of land with durian trees. As teenagers from the city, we shiok like hell take pickup on some weekends to go collect eat until full.. Then one season too much and we did not know what to do. Jia ga xian. Friends & relatives all given already. The only people made money from it were the Indons who were taking care of the land, and they made side income to sell. No prob with us as we could not eat finish, and after all, we were city dwellers who did not know how to sell wholesale let alone retail. Not long after, Indons went to find better paying jobs and more social environment in factory and construction sites. Then we could not find anyone to take care. Grass grew. Snakes snaked... I am sure there were centipedes... Novelty wore off. We went back to durian sellers to buy for diff varieties and more convenient. If want to make it work, got to be sure to meet up and know each other first and share a serious business case from lots of homework with lawyers, and get professional farmers.... Dont be discouraged. Good to dream boundlessly and start to make up good business case. When the time is right, easier to trigger a real marketing case and reach potential investors.

By the way, Segamat has good soil for durian. But it is also notorious for the floods especially these days when the Segamat river overfills its banks when rain because of heavy silting from the developments upstream.

Heard that this weekend at Lima Kedai or was it Geland Patah rest stop got RM15 all you can eat durian buffet. True ah?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
BTW what is LLP any different from a SDN BHD ? Is there a high cost involved in starting a LLP ?
Not to worry , best to know the hidden danger ... like you pointed out the difficulty in getting workers and even simple issue like water supply to the plot of land can be overlook . Will get you to do consultation if someday wanted to setup a biz in MY lor , what is your fees ? haha .

LLP, Limited Liability Partnership = Partners can come and go without dissolving the Partnership. Easier to withdraw and to add partners. Lesser company issues like having resolution, minutes, etc.
Not high and definitely less "maintenance" than a company but only thing is:
1. Will they allow it with the new revision to Company Act this year
2. Will they allow foreigners (US) to use this

No charges required, i am a greenhorn at best. Only requirement is Pink IC and of particular value to me is one who has a 11B, it means a lot to me still.

I still remembered one of the many shops i visited whilst overseas, they all have some kind of discounts or freebies for their version of NSmen. Real discounts, not some promotional gimmick to throw or get rid of old stuff.

If one day, i quit my job and run my own business here full time, i will allow and honour SAFRA card to be used at my store, even though its in Johore and i mean real discounts, not those fake ones.

Wuqi supports our NSmen while those who should, still don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.