• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I give you guys an example of how normal people can make mistakes.

I was given some brochures about very nice properties at Kulai. The properties looked really nice and it was a 3 storey house. The price was much much cheaper and ofcourse offered better fittings and designs.

I fell for the design. I showed it to my friends who told me that its quite far.

And when i actually checked out i realised that i would not wanna commute that far no matter how cheap or how big the house may be.

This does not mean Kulai is bad (just like Wuqi felt earlier that i was after NusaJaya). Its just that its not for me. Its not my cup of tea.

Ordinary mortals like me make mistakes and we need to learn from this thread and the learned bros out here.

3 storey house in Kulai and better fittings and design? Is that the one facing the mini lake? I went there too, there were a few types but this type was all sold except the corner unit next to the road. These units look special with a very tall roof and alot of windows - floor to ceiling and wall to wall - by the time I visited, I see some units already put up the grilles and really with the grilles, the house don't look so nice already, quite ugly infact.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Singapore officers are amongst the best. There was once one (really) called me softly, "Ah Bang" and then "Sayang" when handing back my passport. Luckily my wife wasn't in the car oh else the next thing that came out would be "Habis!!" Luckily i knew it was just a casual term and just smiled, thanked her and then drove on. (To my wife who is reading this, yes this was really what happened dear, honest)

I once met a former army buddy as well as an ex schoolmate while going through customs, they were like, wow you are going so far away, for business or pleasure? I asked them jokingly, is this an official or personal question? :smile:

Jokes aside, the officers in JB here are actually quite nice people, do remember to wind down your windows when you pass by them for a visual inspection and greet them if you can. There was one time, my learned relative did not wind down nor go to the boot to open the boot door for inspection, when the officer angrily went to her door, she even asked him rudely, "Why why why?"

Luckily we apologised for her behalf, she immediately went quiet when we said she may get detained overnight and her expensive bags may be searched and damaged if she is detained.

I agree with you that the JB immigration officers are also quite okay, at least no problem for my visits so far. Yes, always wind down front and back windows at both Sg and Johor immigration to facilitate clearance.

Wow get detained overnight? I hope they dont' do such things except to criminals as that'll really chase out all the investors.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do? That time was Chinese New Year time, need to pay deposit for my house, then the exchange rate was very low mah. With TT lagi low. Then my husband got so gangho...we didn't know that cannot do this.... :P

Hi Cathy, the money changer will give better rate for remittance than cash exchange rate and for large amount, the fee is waived. May be you want to try this money changer, I used it once to pay my first 10% payment and it is okay. http://www.raffles1.net/

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before i am accused of plagiarism let me start of by saying that i found this on another website and i thought it would benefit first time home buyers and hence i am reposting it here

Quote """"""Here's my rundown after I've been comparing and surveying/discussing the different house-security measures to be installed in my new house:

GRILLES:
Acts as a simple first line passive "Defence" which doesn't require power/eletricity/tel.cable etc. to be effective unlike CCTV and Alarm which when there's no power/telephone cut/battery dead they will be useless;
To deter would-be burglars and unprepared opportunist/inexperienced thieves who just want to easily/quickly climb thru windows/door without too much work/hassle.
..............Unquote

Hi, Prof, so which of the above types you have installed for your house in JB? Or it is all of the above? Anyone has any recommendation of the good brand of CCTV and Alarm?

Last edited:

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The grille is to make the robbers think twice first before striking. Although you can good quality one, glasses still looks fragile to me.

I agree with Cathy, since we all stay in the gated n guarded community, it's pretty safe in term of security.... so just to install a strong n simple grille is good enough. Grille is actually is make the robbers think twice n change to other easy target.

I do find that those grille (phase 7 n 8 terrace) provided by EL developer at the balcony in the MBR looks good, easy to maintain as well as cleaning. Any comments?

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi rw6akr

I was at one of the show bungalows at Melody Park yesterday when I was caught in a thunderstorm. The rain was coming down like at 180 degrees, and it was really raining cats and dogs. I was very shocked when 5 minutes later, I began to see rain water seeping through all the windows and even the main doors. I am now worried for my lowly terrace unit when they can even allow the bungalows to be built like that. I suppose the developer will fix such defects, but still, can't help feeling disappointed that they will not take more care with the bungalows. My wife was terrified at the thought of how the terrace will be built. BTW, did your unit experience any rain seepage during yesterday afternoon's huge downpour? I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. :(

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00139-20110405-1701-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00137-20110405-1701.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00136-20110405-1700.jpg

Not to worry, nothing serious. It's can resolve easily by a silicon. My one year old condo in SG also have such problem when the recent heavy rain splash onto my big glass window panel, the repair guy came to fix it n done within an hour.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to worry, nothing serious. It's can resolve easily by a silicon. My one year old condo in SG also have such problem when the recent heavy rain splash onto my big glass window panel, the repair guy came to fix it n done within an hour.

The first time i encountered this was a few years back when it rained heavily for a few days towards end of the year... oops i think that was year 2000 something like that. We came home and found a puddle of water under our bed on the parquet in the master BR... i could recall how my wife freaked out then! hahaha .. so next day called up Far East and F them upside down. Unfortunately that development has like 40 units which had the same problem... so it took a while before it was fixed.

This happens quite easily to modern designs with no awnings and a lot of glass. The seepage occurs through the adjoining area between glass and concrete, hence extra effort must be taken in finishing up the construction work... this caught a lot of contractors by surprise as well. Now, if the particular facing is towards the west sun, the silicone patch up might need to be redone every few years as the sun causes the silicone to crack. I am not an expert in this, but i was told there are the water proof type?

Last edited:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learn Wing Chun good for small build man/woman. Leverage on joints or only elbow to tilt or push opponent. But it will take awhile at least 6 months a year.

Wing Chun Singapore

Cheers

You better start a Wing Chun class in HH . How to handle a parang with bare hand ?
Most singaporean are good in 'tai-chi' , we do a lot of that in office, you know the pushing of responsibilities and jobs here and there :-)

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The grille is to make the robbers think twice first before striking. Although you can good quality one, glasses still looks fragile to me.

HH do not provide alarm system. I installed one myself. I also felt how ugly the grills will look on such a nice place.

Bro i still think a grill is the best solution anything else would be compromising on ones safety.

Glass can be broken. But grilles give you considerable time to react.

A combo of tempered glass plus security film plus grilles would be great.

I have security film cum grilles.

Alarm is really good but electronic stuffs can fail you once in a while. The good old reliable mechanical parts like solid steel grilles, once installed, will not fail you. For your own safety, install alarm plus grilles. I'm saying all these just hoping that all you guys staying in Malaysia will be safe, I'm not even staying there myself. Should be renting out all my future units and not keeping any for weekend stay, at least until security in Malaysia improve over the years.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You better start a Wing Chun class in HH . How to handle a parang with bare hand?

Make it 4 parangs, you'll end up with no hands. They'll let you keep your head if you're lucky.
Also don't think you alone with a baseball bat can beat the shit out of 4 desperado with parangs.
Install all security features which you think are necessary and your house will definitely not be broken in because there will always be another easier target around. Don't be an easy target!

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first time i encountered this was a few years back when it rained heavily for a few days towards end of the year... oops i think that was year 2000 something like that. We came home and found a puddle of water under our bed on the parquet in the master BR... i could recall how my wife freaked out then! hahaha .. so next day called up Far East and F them upside down. Unfortunately that development has like 40 units which had the same problem... so it took a while before it was fixed.

This happens quite easily to modern designs with no awnings and a lot of glass. The seepage occurs through the adjoining area between glass and concrete, hence extra effort must be taken in finishing up the construction work... this caught a lot of contractors by surprise as well. Now, if the particular facing is towards the west sun, the silicone patch up might need to be redone every few years as the sun causes the silicone to crack. I am not an expert in this, but i was told there are the water proof type?

Now outdoor silicon even come with water n sun proof.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also hope one robbery happens in HH so that everyone will sit up and take note that security CANNOT be taken for granted.

You want to be thee 1st sacrifice sheep ? Make sure you execute a few Wing Chun stroke to send the message across....we have martial art exponent up the Hills.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi rw6akr

I was at one of the show bungalows at Melody Park yesterday when I was caught in a thunderstorm. The rain was coming down like at 180 degrees, and it was really raining cats and dogs. I was very shocked when 5 minutes later, I began to see rain water seeping through all the windows and even the main doors. I am now worried for my lowly terrace unit when they can even allow the bungalows to be built like that. I suppose the developer will fix such defects, but still, can't help feeling disappointed that they will not take more care with the bungalows. My wife was terrified at the thought of how the terrace will be built. BTW, did your unit experience any rain seepage during yesterday afternoon's huge downpour? I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. :(

I guess I tend to buy resale (old/used condo) more than I buy new condo's. But I can tell you this: 90% of the condo's I buy have rainwater coming in around the windows. As long as it is not a torrential flood of water, serious enough to float you on your bed out to the main road, it's nothing to worry or complain about.

If you have parquet or some other type of wooden flooring, it will cause the wood to deteriorate eventually. If you have marble/ceramic/homogenous tile flooring, it will not be affected: just wipe off the rain water.

My landed and terrace houses never have any water problem. The roof kind of overhangs the glass windows, protecting them from direct rainfall.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah! Sounds like you have many condos leh? Can you please share with us how you make money with all those condos?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notice that robbers who come in the night are usually targeting for cash / valuables . If we dont switch on any light at night to give the impression that noboby at home , they wont target us right ?

house

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notice that robbers who come in the night are usually targeting for cash / valuables . If we dont switch on any light at night to give the impression that noboby at home , they wont target us right ?

thats call thief not robber..... :P

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alarm is really good but electronic stuffs can fail you once in a while. The good old reliable mechanical parts like solid steel grilles, once installed, will not fail you. For your own safety, install alarm plus grilles. I'm saying all these just hoping that all you guys staying in Malaysia will be safe, I'm not even staying there myself. Should be renting out all my future units and not keeping any for weekend stay, at least until security in Malaysia improve over the years.

If you the owner does not think JB is safe enough to stay, do you expect others to rent your house? ;-p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.