• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dreamoraction, i would go for Laguna given that most developments have also risen up in prices, of course some more than the others.
I see great potential with Laguna but its up to individual.

As for cost savings, like what other bros have suggested, living here can really extend ones "miles" so to speak. Actually quite a few are already doing the daily commute and there are even van services and carpooling be it for school or for work.

Grilles is definitely a plus to have as a deterrent, cameras too. You can install them relatively cheaply. There is no 100% guarantee of course but it will give you a better peace of mind especially when travelling.

Bro Lglab, already cleared, sorry need to clear quite a bit as i do my best to reply to all. You can go through a maid agency and tell them you are not local, some agencies will fob you off by telling you you can't. There are legal ways to do this, just cost a bit more. Basically agency will "sub" out to a company who deals with maids and they will then get all the necessary documents for you so that the maid will essentially be working for them, just that they subbed her out to you. I have tenants and friends who are doing this now. Main caveat is to look out for crooked agencies, with the stricter laws these days, enforcement on crooked agencies are tighter but still caveat emptor. :smile:

Hi Bro Wuji,

Thanks for your advise, i just wonder do you have any agencies that you can recommend for such?

Thank you very much.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am doing a lot of thinking... my situation.. i'm a single breadwinner and have wife and little kids. 40yrs..the age where if i lose my current job, i'll have to drive a taxi :eek:

some options..

1. get a condo in sg (S$800k?),
- for rental income (pay the property for itself should be easy).
- however, it is much costlier and
- empty out my rainy-day fund
- take longer time before fully paid (probably 20-30yrs.. would be 60-70yr old by then!)
- but can start rebuilding the rainy-day fund almost immediately cos of the rental income

2. get a cluster in my (RM$800k?),
- for own weekend stay, and retirement.
- kids will not likely want to stay cos of school/work (when they grow up).
- thus renting out hdb and stay here not likely (unable to let the property pay for itself/by hdb)
- renting out the cluster also not viable.. heard rental in my is not good.. may even need to top up damages/wear/tear
- hence have to pay out from my own pocket and
- empty out my rainy-day fund
- take comparatively shorter time before fully paid but can only start rebuilding the rainy-day fund again after that (probably after 10-15yrs.. 50-near 60yr old already. but would i be able to keep my job till then :confused:)

3. don't get anything.. be contented with hdb... and save that money in bank, save the headache. consider renting in my instead when the time comes.

options 1 & 2 that require emptying out.. may have affordability issues when my kids reach university age.
option 2 is probably not feasible at all?

is my analysis correct?
i believe some bro/sis have gone thru that thinking process.. perhaps you can share yours/views?

and btw, for a cluster house, how much do you budget annually for maintenance costs? grass, roof, painting, electricals, etc. RM$5k to 10k?

Hi Bro,

We are in the same state, due to the reason that we are both sole winner.

How many of kids you have?
Your parents still staying with you?

I am in a desperate state where I am to move over there so I can have some saving.....

I am being forced to 1 corner.... :(:(

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
@maxpark:
looked at jb cos of the close proximity to sg.. i still want to be near the kids, if they prefer to stay/work in sg when they grow up.
melaka/ipoh are good options but too far at this time.

@jasonjst:
as of now, my kids are total dependent. but traveling in/out, spending at least extra hour and troublesome transport, they may get frustrated.. while looking at the bright side, mrt may be extending to jb.. these are points for consideration.
btw, do you guys let your kids travel in/out of jb alone? or u drive them around? i got a girl.. and also a concern..

@teck21 & yonglip:
u are right.. i am actually feeling jittery with the S$800k condo.. despite people telling me sure can rent out to pay for itself.
what if i cannot? hope i'm not offending ppl, but i think those who got the million-dollar condo in punggol water town are... ambitious
thanks for the analysis.. jb is definitely much more affordable..am going to rework my budgets again.

@dreamoraction:
concern is the need to wake up early and travel.. even if everyone is willing initially.. got to work this out so that it is sustainable in long-term.
kids study on weekdays and weekends extra curriculum as well.. piano lessons on sunday.. :*:

@jbhome:
that's an idea..thanks!

@lglab:
i think i'm in a better state as u.. our parents are self-sufficient (thank God they are healthy) and have their own hdb
initially thought of getting a bungalow and have them rent out theirs and stay with us... then dropped the idea cos of the potential conflicts
got 2 kids, lower primary. wife is a homemaker, but a typical singaporean woman (if u know what i meant) :wink:
what i'm doing now is to plan for my retirement and at the same time kids' edu.
at 40, if u have been prudent with your money during your earlier work life, i believe u will have a sum of savings.
only thing is that the next 10-20yrs of earning power will be at risk, if u still need to work for others.

but u and many bro/sis here are more courageous than i am.. think think think.. the boat gone already and i'm still thinking..

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
@maxpark:
looked at jb cos of the close proximity to sg.. i still want to be near the kids, if they prefer to stay/work in sg when they grow up.

@jasonjst:
as of now, my kids are total dependent. but traveling in/out, spending at least extra hour and troublesome transport, they may get frustrated.. while looking at the bright side, mrt may be extending to jb.. these are points for consideration.
btw, do you guys let your kids travel in/out of jb alone? or u drive them around? i got a girl.. and also a concern..

@teck21 & yonglip:
u are right.. i am actually feeling jittery with the S$800k condo.. despite people telling me sure can rent out to pay for itself.
what if i cannot? hope i'm not offending ppl, but i think those who got the million-dollar condo in punggol water town are... ambitious
thanks for the analysis.. jb is definitely much more affordable..am going to rework my budgets again.

@dreamoraction:
concern is the need to wake up early and travel.. even if everyone is willing initially.. got to work this out so that it is sustainable in long-term.
kids study on weekdays and weekends extra curriculum as well.. piano lessons on sunday.. :*:

@jbhome:
that's an idea..thanks!

@lglab:
i think i'm in a better state as u.. our parents are self-sufficient (thank God they are healthy) and have their own hdb
initially thought of getting a bungalow and have them rent out theirs and stay with us... then dropped the idea cos of the potential conflicts
got 2 kids, lower primary. wife is a homemaker, but a typical singaporean woman (if u know what i meant) :wink:
at 40, if u have been prudent with your money during your earlier work life, i believe u will have a sum of savings.
only thing is that the next 10-20yrs of earning power will be at risk, if u still need to work for others.

but u and many bro/sis here are more courageous than i am.. think think think.. the boat gone already and i'm still thinking..

Bro Greddy,

There is definitely a trade off for choosing to live in JB and commute to Sgp.
A change in one's comfort zone in Sgp to the unknown JB style of living. You and family ought to try out by spending time living it out in JB to gauge your acceptance and happiness level.

No point in one person happy while the rest are not comfortable.

Can try living by staying Hotel as suggested by Bro Wuqi or rent a place here to try out. At least you need not commit before you are more or less sure that you and family are comfortable.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,
We are about same age and also concerned about retirement issue in this pragmatic country because your only fallback is your savings.
So many people who live in big cities can retire in country side one day.. For us, the nearest site is JB..
If you are unemployed one day, you might not have the gut to buy a property then.. Maybe you should consider buying sth when you are employed and also able to get loan. Don't wait too long.. You feel happier when you know you have backup plans..

@maxpark:

@jasonjst:

@teck21 & yonglip:

@dreamoraction:

@jbhome:
that's an idea..thanks!

@lglab:

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am doing a lot of thinking... my situation.. i'm a single breadwinner and have wife and little kids. 40yrs..the age where if i lose my current job, i'll have to drive a taxi :eek:
is my analysis correct?
i believe some bro/sis have gone thru that thinking process.. perhaps you can share yours/views?

Hope you are sufficiently covered for insurrance since you are sole breadwinner..
Taking care of the contingencies, then can relax & plan for retirement & alternative lifestyle..

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
horizonhills said:
The worse it could happen is that Singapore-registered cars will have to PAY while Malaysian registered cars will not have to pay. Or that Singaporeans have to pay while Malaysians do not have to pay. The way those chaps are protesting, they are doing it for Malaysians who are working in Singapore. Obviously when Sporeans have to pay, do you think they will be protesting? They will be celebrating instead

That will send a wrong signal to Singapore and set back all the gains they've done with positioning Iskandar as a cheaper complement to Singapore. It's illogical and not going to happen in my opinion.

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Greddy,

Mid Life Crisis has arrived a tad early for you at 40 years old! You will be better off worrying about it now than later. What it means is a bit more serious thinking and planning has to be done going forward. You are ahead of a lot people if you start planning now because I have seen some many friends only relying on their CPF/HDB for children's education, medical bills, retirement with the hope of continue working until the sunset on him. This is indeed a pitiful sight but reality for many.

For you, you've already settled your current home - that's a BIG tick. You are only 40 not 50s or 60s. I fully appreciate your current position of being the sole breadwinner and the vulnerability. You have to come to grip with the fact that things are indeed uncertain, no guarantees, the outlook is alittle dim - BUT hey, nothing has change except for your perspective, has taken a different turn! I have gone through this rabbit hole and pls dont hibernate there too long. It will suck the daylight out of you.

I can tell you from experience, no matter what we say is not going to make sense to you if you dont dig yourself out. Everything will look risky hence, back to the rabbit hole!

Now, option 3 - keeping it in the bank is precisely your rabbit hole! No risk, right? But inflation will depreciate it for you very nicely. That is actually the worst thing anyone can do to themselves. It gives you a false sense of security - money in the bag but the bag has a hole. Sorry to say, this is the option for those who doesnt understand how to invest. The simplest expression I can park with you is "Make sure your money is working hard for you".

As for option 1 or 2 or 4 or 5 (option 3 is only for people who doesnt understand investment), like most Bros have said, depending on your risk appetite (margin of opportunity), outlook (capital appreciation), cashflow (rental potential), etc. Take option 2 as an example. You must have sufficient cashflow and your objective is capital appreciation and not renting it out. Question is whether your money is working hard enough for you. If I were you (since moving to JB is going to be difficult), I will continue doing what I am doing in Sg and buy an affordable property in JB within my limit and rent it out. This because I hold the believe that JB properties are still relatively cheap with more upside than Sg. If you dont think so, option 1 might be the way to go.

In any case, pls stay invested and keep investing. You will not go wrong on a long haul regardless where you invest. That will be your answer to your retirement plan but you have to keep investing and investing.

some options..

1. get a condo in sg (S$800k?),
- for rental income (pay the property for itself should be easy).

2. get a cluster in my (RM$800k?),
- for own weekend stay, and retirement.

3. don't get anything.. be contented with hdb... and save that money in bank, save the headache. consider renting in my instead when the time comes.

darrkie.y

Alfrescian
Loyal
jasonjst said:
For the MM2H programme only lah . Normal people need to pay tax , but mover can settle for you, I think by giving some kopi lui .
Anyway any bro/sis know of mover to transport one lorry load of funiture from Singapore to JB . Any bro/sis have done it before ?

Hi Jasonjst,

To clarify.. I'm not in mm2h, spend about sgd580 to move my items in jb. This 580 Is for 10"ft lorry space though they use a 20"ft lorry.. My exp is morning 9.30am they cane to pickup my furniture..timing they told me is 4pm they will reach. I waited till 5.30pm for the movers to reach. Their service is pretty good as they dismantle my bed frame in Sg and assemble when they reach my place.

Let me know if you want their contact number =)

Polarbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tomorrow would be our first day in Nusa Idaman as we have rented a house. This wpuld allow to have a look at differen developments and buy a house down the road. Can somone advise a good internet package for Nusa Idaman please (rather urgent)?

If there is anyone else living in Nuda Idaman and want to stay in touch please feel free to do so.

Thanks

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a great move! Happy hunting mr polar :smile: oh, I think u will attract quite a lot of attention when bypassers see a polar bear having a dip in the lake at NI hehe kidding ...

I think if u want it fast, u can try P1. They have a website. U can see their stall (push-cart style) at almost all shopping centers. U sign up, they will let u try 7 days for free. And u get the modem instantly. U can cancel within the trial period, but u must go to their main office to file the cancellation. No penalty will be incurred. And they will refund any deposit that they have collected from u, normally RM100, depending on package.

Tomorrow would be our first day in Nusa Idaman as we have rented a house. This wpuld allow to have a look at differen developments and buy a house down the road. Can somone advise a good internet package for Nusa Idaman please (rather urgent)?

If there is anyone else living in Nuda Idaman and want to stay in touch please feel free to do so.

Thanks

nicholas1213

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks

Yes another vote to P1. Also it is quite convenient as you don't have to install anything e.g. phone line / cable, their modem works just like a broadband. Do check with the P1 counter (widely available in shopping mall) whether P1 has coverage in Nusa Idaman (most probably have it).

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Jasonjst,

To clarify.. I'm not in mm2h, spend about sgd580 to move my items in jb. This 580 Is for 10"ft lorry space though they use a 20"ft lorry.. My exp is morning 9.30am they cane to pickup my furniture..timing they told me is 4pm they will reach. I waited till 5.30pm for the movers to reach. Their service is pretty good as they dismantle my bed frame in Sg and assemble when they reach my place.

Let me know if you want their contact number =)

Thanks bro , pls kindly PM me their contact , need to transport some furniture to JB soon .

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alternatively, u can try the digi 3G. This is for short term solution while u search for the best Internet provider. Whenever I go to Malaysia, I use the digi 3G on my iPhone. And I tether the connection to my iPad as well. It's only RM3 per day, or u can subscribe for a week for RM15. Note that the quota usage is rather low, about 250mb per week. For normal usage such as web surfing etc, it should be sufficient and will tie u over this period while u settle down at the new house. If need more info, let me know ...

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes another vote to P1. Also it is quite convenient as you don't have to install anything e.g. phone line / cable, their modem works just like a broadband. Do check with the P1 counter (widely available in shopping mall) whether P1 has coverage in Nusa Idaman (most probably have it).

Bro, how is the speed acceptable ? My children keep complaining about slow speed in Malaysia , they are damn difficult to please . I can live with 56K , dont know why modern kids is so demanding , sibeh jialat .

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
My buddy uses P1 too ... Quite fast la, but not any faster than Sg. Manage your expectation. Locals can't complain enough about the TM provider. Unifi might be a different story. Remember bro wuqi is using it and said its acceptable to his satisfaction

Walao, 56k, up a bit la. No wonder your kinds complain haha! I will also moan moan moan :p

Bro, how is the speed acceptable ? My children keep complainting about slow speed in Malaysia , they are damn difficult to please . I can live with 56K , dont know why modern kids is so demanding , sibeh jialat .

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, how is the speed acceptable ? My children keep complainting about slow speed in Malaysia , they are damn difficult to please . I can live with 56K , dont know why modern kids is so demanding , sibeh jialat .

56k only enough to read 4d or ToTo.. Not enough for your kid to play games.. Hee..

Status
Not open for further replies.