• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is My Salary OK?

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should simply state your current salary and age for your question. What is the point of mentioning that you are a poly graduate? To justify your current salary? Are you going to be complacent if majority here say that it a good figure? :rolleyes:

Mr Hitler,

I would think that TS mentioned his educational background as a baseline reference to his salary.

If someone with PSLE or O levels earn 4k after working for 16 years then he would be above average

If someone with Diploma or equivalent earn 4k after working for 16 years then probably he is average.

If someone with degree or higher earn 4k after working for 16 years then maybe is below average.

I don't think TS want to how lian or what.

KNNBPCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am not saying he's trying to show off. I am reminding him not to be complacent.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I graduate from poly in 1994
Start work end 1996 with a starting pay of $1400
my current salary is abt $4050 now
am i doing ok?

your age is about 39. you've been working for 16 years. your cpf account should have about sgd90k. your personal savings should be around sgd40k. you have a car and an outstanding car loan of at least sgd70k. you live in a flat and service a mortgage of about sgd1.3k per month. yet you consider yourself frugal, which you are.

by 40, which is an important milestone in your life, you are not ready to be financially independent. in fact, you are living from paycheck to paycheck. you fear for your future, as anytime after 40, your job is at risk. your employer can replace you with a younger worker at half your pay.

if you don't have at least sgd2m in total assets and zero liability by now, you need to remain employed until 55, and hope nothing major like loss of job, a seriously bad investment or poor health impact you. alternatively, you can try your hand at enterprise at this juncture and aim for a higher return on investment. otherwise, you cannot simply cruise along and expect life to be on a steady trajectory until old age at 65.

you are running out of time.

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't anyone else think of early retirement rather than merely "surviving"??? :rolleyes:

In life, you get what you aim for and if you concentrate merely on survival, that's exactly what's going to happen. You'll live your life with your head just above water.

If you want to succeed in life, you have to aim much higher.

Boss,

You retire for what purpose? To have free time to do what you like right? If I happen to like my current job then how? I can earn $ and enjoy at the same time then why not?

A lot of people I know are very healthy when they are employed/working. These same people 'up the lorry' very fast after they retired. Got 1 even died within 1 year from his retirement. I don't know what is the link between retirement and early death but these happen to people I know.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss,

You retire for what purpose? To have free time to do what you like right? If I happen to like my current job then how? I can earn $ and enjoy at the same time then why not?

A lot of people I know are very healthy when they are employed/working. These same people 'up the lorry' very fast after they retired. Got 1 even died within 1 year from his retirement. I don't know what is the link between retirement and early death but these happen to people I know.

You seem to have an entirely erroneous impression of what "retirement" is all about. You equate retirement to being no longer employed, hanging around the house all day wondering what to do with your life. Nothing can be further from the truth.

I've been "retired" for the last 18 years and never a day has gone by when I have nothing to do. It fact, life has become a lot more hectic. The difference is that I'm busy doing what I want to do instead of being beholden to someone else.

During this retirement period, I've started, nurtured and sold more than 5 companies and made good money with 3, broke even with one and lost $20,000 on another and I enjoyed myself immensely regardless of the outcome. I've also indulged in all the sporting activities that I did not have time for when I was employed plus travelled to many places that are on my bucket list.

You may be enjoying your "job" now but unless you own the company, there is no guarantee that the job you're in will be there tomorrow. You have no security and your efforts probably aren't adding value to your own portfolio. You are dependent upon the decisions and performance of others in order to earn a living. This isn't the a situation I would like to be in long term. You may be enjoying it now but you must have an exit strategy and a time frame for moving on to the next chapter of your life.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You seem to have an entirely erroneous impression of what "retirement" is all about. You equate retirement to being no longer employed, hanging around the house all day wondering what to do with your life. Nothing can be further from the truth.

I've been "retired" for the last 18 years and never a day has gone by when I have nothing to do. It fact, life has become a lot more hectic. The difference is that I'm busy doing what I want to do instead of being beholden to someone else.

During this retirement period, I've started, nurtured and sold more than 5 companies and made good money with 3, broke even with one and lost $20,000 on another and I enjoyed myself immensely regardless of the outcome. I've also indulged in all the sporting activities that I did not have time for when I was employed plus travelled to many places that are on my bucket list.

You may be enjoying your "job" now but unless you own the company, there is no guarantee that the job you're in will be there tomorrow. You have no security and your efforts probably aren't adding value to your own portfolio. You are dependent upon the decisions and performance of others in order to earn a living. This isn't the a situation I would like to be in long term. You may be enjoying it now but you must have an exit strategy and a time frame for moving on to the next chapter of your life.

Your advice is really good!!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
dun know about you but taking loans of any kind is usually bad in my books....unless its a interests free one

Please do not respond to spam bots.

When you respond and quote the contents, I have to manually remove the post and you're giving me more work. :mad:

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Hitler,

I would think that TS mentioned his educational background as a baseline reference to his salary.

If someone with PSLE or O levels earn 4k after working for 16 years then he would be above average

If someone with Diploma or equivalent earn 4k after working for 16 years then probably he is average.

If someone with degree or higher earn 4k after working for 16 years then maybe is below average.

I don't think TS want to how lian or what.

Thank for u comment
yes I just want to know how i am standing
What to how lian abt?

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's about average but you probably lead a pretty pathetic existence with a salary like that. You definitely won't be financially independent anytime soon.

I don't know how old you are now but you must have some sort of financial goals. What are they? Do you have a net worth target that you're aiming to achieve by a particular age? If you do, what is it and what are your plans to get there within the target time frame?

All financial plans should be based on net worth because a salary figure is irrelevent. You could be earning $20,000 per month but if you're spending it all on conspicuous consumption, you're still stuck at square one.

According to statistics there are many millionaires in Singapore and soon this guy could be one of them. PAP will plan for you la.

jw5

Loyal
I graduate from poly in 1994
Start work end 1996 with a starting pay of $1400
my current salary is abt $4050 now
am i doing ok?
am i doing average, below average or very good?

As long as you are living comfortably and managing your finances and life well, that should be enough.
No need to compare with anybody. That is typical pap and LKY style.
You notice the questions he asks people:

--- Where do you live?
--- What do your parents do?
--- What are you studying or where are you working?
--- Are you married or single or do you have children?

Would we be a better country and better people if questions like these are asked instead:

--- What are your interests / passions in life?
--- What have you done to help people ouside of your family?
--- What do you regard as your greatest achievement?
--- What do you want to achieve in your life? (and not referring to financial or career achievement)

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as you are living comfortably and managing your finances and life well, that should be enough.
No need to compare with anybody. That is typical pap and LKY style.
You notice the questions he asks people:

--- Where do you live?
--- What do your parents do?
--- What are you studying or where are you working?
--- Are you married or single or do you have children?

Would we be a better country and better people if questions like these are asked instead:

--- What are your interests / passions in life?
--- What have you done to help people ouside of your family?
--- What do you regard as your greatest achievement?
--- What do you want to achieve in your life? (and not referring to financial or career achievement)
Bro. Good one. One hokkien old saying 'people compare people, angry die people'.

Lang bi lang, ki si lang.