• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is My Salary OK?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
I graduate from poly in 1994
Start work end 1996 with a starting pay of $1400
my current salary is abt $4050 now
am i doing ok?
am i doing average, below average or very good?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
as long as u r gainfully employed, u r ok.

if u feel not ok, perhaps can plan joining pap n be the next mp getting $14k a month part-time on top of your fulltime pay of 4k.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Based on the "Tua Kang Yao Siew" people here, you should be earning at least 12K since you should be in you late 30s.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whether it's $4k or $40k, uLtimateLy it depends on your commiments..you can be v ok or v not ok.:wink:

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comfortable is you are on your own. Also depends on what kind of financial commitment you have. If have kids + car etc then will be quite tight.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It's about average but you probably lead a pretty pathetic existence with a salary like that. You definitely won't be financially independent anytime soon.

I don't know how old you are now but you must have some sort of financial goals. What are they? Do you have a net worth target that you're aiming to achieve by a particular age? If you do, what is it and what are your plans to get there within the target time frame?

All financial plans should be based on net worth because a salary figure is irrelevent. You could be earning $20,000 per month but if you're spending it all on conspicuous consumption, you're still stuck at square one.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. alan, don't compare!
2. it will start up everything.
3. live within your means.
4. never wear any hat bigger than your own head, up & down there!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
my lil brother leetahsar is not even making any " peanut shells" but he's damn ok. he wants not. he waste not. and he has many gods of fortune as his guidance angels.

to put it simply, BE HAPPY IN WHATEVER U DO. that's more important thing in life.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's about average but you probably lead a pretty pathetic existence with a salary like that. You definitely won't be financially independent anytime soon.

I don't know how old you are now but you must have some sort of financial goals. What are they? Do you have a net worth target that you're aiming to achieve by a particular age? If you do, what is it and what are your plans to get there within the target time frame?

All financial plans should be based on net worth because a salary figure is irrelevent. You could be earning $20,000 per month but if you're spending it all on conspicuous consumption, you're still stuck at square one.

this is the 7th lunar mth of the HUNGRY GHOSTS FESTIVAL. it's richer to be dead than alive. million of $ could be burnt to u.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
am i doing ok?

Thats very good for a poly grad with 16 years of working experience.......what field are you in?

i wonder whats the pay scale like for an engineering graduate with 16 years of working experience ???

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you have any savings and if the savings are invested? Are you in any debts?

Even if you earn 14K/mth but spend 14K/mth, you still be in trouble. Even more if you are in credit card debts.

However, if you earn 4K/mth with constant savings, that's a different story. In short, you have the flexibility to invest, change job or even runroad.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Know of many high income earners who 'rotate' their credit cards if you know what i mean. Those people are worse off than the average man earning $2.5k per mth when shit hits the ceiling.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"Living within your means" isn't sufficient. How is he going to fund his retirement if that's all he aims for?

hi there

1. tsk tsk tsk! sammy.
2. unless alan is some dafter sheep on sheepishland.
3. any sane individual including should work out & plan for such contingents mah.
4. honest, i started working on it since i was a 20-yr-old kid!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have one dollar in your pocket, you are richer than over two-thirds of the people on this planet.

Cheers!

am i doing ok?

KNNBPCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You should simply state your current salary and age for your question. What is the point of mentioning that you are a poly graduate? To justify your current salary? Are you going to be complacent if majority here say that it a good figure? :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$4K per month for single guy without commitments you can survive here without much frills though.
Forget about the car, condo, other luxury items that many sinkies covet....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
$4K per month for single guy without commitments you can survive here without much frills though.

Doesn't anyone else think of early retirement rather than merely "surviving"??? :rolleyes:

In life, you get what you aim for and if you concentrate merely on survival, that's exactly what's going to happen. You'll live your life with your head just above water.

If you want to succeed in life, you have to aim much higher.