• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indian Rojak Case Woman Dies! Jeezz

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't like the way indians knead their food eg prata, vadai, and all those doughy stuff ... :(

this is the first time i hear that food poisoning can cause miscarriage ...

Read and weep.

http://thehistorysociety.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-singapore-food-hygienic.html

Lack of hygiene
FOOD handlers say that in their rush to get orders out, they sometimes forget to soap up. And even though gloves are a must when it comes to handling cooked food, not all use them.
A chef who has been in the business for more than 20 years says he has seen it all: from the spitting to the scratching to the sneezing.
'When I catch them scratching their oily scalps and go back to preparing the food, I'll scold them and ask them: will you eat this food yourself?' he said.
Chef Ang Song Kang of Canton Wok by Chef Kang said: 'It's about personal hygiene. If you can't even be clean with yourself, how can you expect to serve others?'
Cooks in Chinese kitchens, especially, think nothing of handling raw and cooked food with the same set of bare hands.
One 50-year-old waitress, who has done the rounds in Chinese restaurants, readily admits she and her colleagues sometimes use their bare hands to arrange food on a plate, such as the cold dish served at wedding dinners.
At a top-end popular Chinese restaurant here, tea leaves are left exposed and vulnerable to cockroaches.
Another waitress said: 'When we're busy, we just use our hands to grab the tea leaves. Or if a plate is stained, we just wipe it with our fingers.'
A part-time kitchen helper at an American-style cafe said her manager even told her not to wear gloves when dishing out food, as it was easier and faster to work with bare hands.
'All the food got embedded in my nails. It was disgusting,' said the 18-year-old polytechnic student.
Food suppliers are just as culpable when it comes to lack of cleanliness. They are known to drop their uncovered fresh produce deliveries such as meat and vegetables on the greasy kitchen floor.
But sometimes, the problem has less to do with sloppy humans than pesky insects.
One 20-year-old, who used to work in the kitchen of an American chain of restaurants, said he would go to work in the morning to find cockroaches inside the giant mixer that the restaurant used to mix batter for its muffins.
Hardly surprising, then, that at least three customers have returned with half-eaten food with feelers hanging out.
The culinary misadventures of Singapore's kitchen keepers also extend to the all-important E word: ethics - or the lack of.
Don't expect cooks to throw out food articles past their expiry date. The rule, it seems, is: it's still good for another six months.
'As long as they don't smell bad, the expiry date can always be prolonged,' said one kitchen helper about sauces, seasoning and canned food which routinely get a new lease of life.
And just because your fruit tartlet doesn't look mouldy doesn't mean it wasn't before.
A caterer says it's not uncommon for food handlers to slice off mouldy bits on these tarts and continue to serve them as if they were fresh out of the oven.
Unwashed vegetables, food that is salvaged from the kitchen floor, thawed meat that gets absent-mindedly stuck back into the freezer: when the going gets tough, so do frazzled kitchen staff.
Adapted from: http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_187328.html?vgnmr=1
Is Singapore food clean?

Background:
In the recent cases of the people being poison by eating the cakes from a bakery, ‘Prima Deli’, Singaporeans have started to voice out their opinions on the food standard in Singapore. How safe is the food in Singapore? Is the food in Singapore hygienic?

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi blacky, as usual twisting and turning your fork tongue again.

Still couldn't get over with your smell and reptile face?

Serpico

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 6, 2009
Geylang Serai rojak food poisoning
Miscarriage after rojak
By Diana Othman

A two-month pregnant woman, Madam Rosiah Samat, 38, who had eaten rojak bought from the same stall in Geylang Serai market, came down with severe diarrhoea on Friday evening and later suffered a miscarriage. --ST PHOTO: SHAHRIYA YAHAYA

View more photos

A TWO-MONTH pregnant woman who had eaten rojak bought from the same stall in Geylang Serai market, came down with severe diarrhoea on Friday evening and later suffered a miscarriage.
Madam Rosiah Samat, 38, suffered acute pains in her stomach and was shuttling to the toilet at least six times before she started to bleed profusely. She also became very weak.

'It was pain like nothing else I felt before,' she told The Straits Times in Malay on Monday. 'I thought I was going to die.

'I could hear my children yelling 'Wake up, mummy! Wake up!' as I was falling unconscious. I told them to quickly call for the ambulance.'

Her 12-year-old daughter, Haidah Wahid, said that Madam Rosiah was covered in sweat and she was shivering all over. Shortly after, she fainted and was rushed to the KK Women's and Children's hospital where she was later told that she had suffered a miscarriage.

Madam Rosiah was warded there for two days and returned home on Sunday. Even though the worst was over, her stomach still felt painful.

It is unclear if the food poisoning had caused Madam Rosiah's baby to miscarry.

Serpico

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 6, 2009
Geylang Serai rojak food poisoning
Another 'critically ill'
By Melissa Pang

According to a Ministry of Health statement sent late on Monday, a 59-year-old woman is 'currently critically ill in hospital' after consuming food from Rojak Geylang Serai, a stall that sells Indian rojak. --PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN

THE food poisoning scare that claimed the life of a 57-year-old woman on Monday morning, has left another very ill in hospital.
According to a Ministry of Health statement sent late on Monday, a 59-year-old woman is 'currently critically ill in hospital' after consuming food from Rojak Geylang Serai, a stall that sells Indian rojak.

MOH also said that to date, a total of 111 cases have been brought to its attention. Of these, 27 were hospitalised, while 84 received outpatient treatment at various Emergency Departments.

Those affected by the food poisoning fell ill between April 2 and 4.

The main symptoms experienced by the group include severe abdominal cramps, vomiting, and diarrhoea.

Preliminary investigations pointed to an association between their illness and the consumption of food purchased from Stall No. 320 at Geylang Serai Temporary Market.

Earlier on Monday, canteen assistant Aminah Samijo died after slipping into a coma. She came down with severe food poisoning after a meal at the Rojak Geylang Serai stall last Friday.

Police have classified the case as one of unnatural death and are investigating.

A pregnant woman who had eaten rojak bought from the came down with severe diarrhoea on Friday evening and later suffered a miscarriage.

MOH and National Environment Agency (NEA) are looking into the food poisoning incident.

On Saturday, the two agencies conducted joint inspections at the food stall, which has since been closed.

The stallholder and his assistant have been directed by MOH to undergo screening for food-borne pathogens at the Communicable Disease Centre.

NEA has ordered the operator to cease all business operations while MOH carries out its investigations. Epidemiological investigations are continuing.

As a precautionary measure, NEA has also conducted a hygiene inspection of all stalls at the centre and found them to be satisfactory.

The stallholders have been advised to maintain a high standard of food and personal hygiene.

Members of the public are advised to discard any unconsumed food items purchased from Rojak Geylang Serai stall.

Anyone who has patronised the stall and is experiencing symptoms of food poisoning should seek immediate medical attention.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i don't like the way indians knead their food eg prata, vadai, and all those doughy stuff ... :(

this is the first time i hear that food poisoning can cause miscarriage ...

Or causes death!:p

Remember the murder case at the presybterian church @ Penang Rd, years ago?, heard that they chop the body & cooked it in the curry in Nasi Bryani, & the rest threw away throughout the island. These people sells Indian food; for two years, when the cas was heard in court, or maybe three; I swore off Nasi Briyani!..which was one of my favourite food.

Indian Rojak, is also one of my favoutite food, but nowadays eats little, for it had became too expensive & quality is lousy.

Looks like after this...have to eat in faith!:p

Cannabis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Woman dies, another critically ill, after eating Geylang Serai rojak
By Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 06 April 2009 1224 hrs

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, don't have to be sacarstic, that woman may already have a serious pre-existing condition. She could have lapsed into coma and died without even eating the Indian rojak.

same goes for the miscarriaged woman and the 1 still in serious condition:confused::confused: all have prevailing medical conditions is it:confused:

so many coincidences?? u must be very naive..:cool:

Serpico

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 dies, another in coma
Another is in a coma and 25 others are in hospital after rojak meal
By Nicholas Yong, Sujin Thomas & Diana Othman

The cause of the outbreak has not been established yet. But some victims said the gravy for the rojak tasted 'off'. -- PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN

ONE person is dead, another is in a coma and 25 others have been hospitalised so far in what is possibly Singapore's worst case of mass food poisoning. The victims had all eaten Indian rojak, a local favourite, from a popular store at a Geylang Serai hawker centre over three days, beginning last Wednesday.

A total of 111 people sought treatment at hospitals as a result, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Monday, adding that 84 were given outpatient treatment.

Untold others have visited their own doctors, or shrugged off the symptoms and resorted to self-medication after eating at the stall, which neighbouring stallholders say sees about 100 patrons a day.

Among those warded at hospitals was a woman who was two months pregnant and suffered a miscarriage. It is unclear if the food poisoning was directly responsible for this.
The cause of the outbreak has not been established yet. But some victims said the gravy for the rojak tasted 'off'.

The dead woman, canteen assistant Madam Aminah Samijo, 57, had eaten the rojak on Friday, along with her husband, Mr Omar Ali, who is in his 50s.

Madam Aminah became violently sick on Friday night, and suffered vomiting and severe diarrhoea. She was taken to the Changi General Hospital, but lapsed into a coma and died yesterday morning without regaining consciousness.

Police have classified the case as unnatural death. An autopsy will be conducted.

Mr Omar, who is in his 50s, has also been warded at CGH, but his family said his condition is improving.

The most seriously ill of the other victims is Madam Noraini Kasim, 59, who is lying in a coma at Alexandra Hospital. She has been warded since Saturday afternoon and has a history of diabetes.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe it was an experiment for 'weapon of mass destruction' in the most subtle form? hit u when u least expect it.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes quite true.
In all systems, institutions, corporations, whatever, the ability to deliver top notch customer service boils down to the management and staff and not shiny new equipment for display and advertisement sake.

In CGH, the hardware may seem impressive, but the software leaves a lot to be desired. So for anyone, get admitted there on your own peril.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know I just cannot understand some people, saw the news last night on this incident and all the victims interviewed said that the material gravy smelt off and tasted different from usual, more salty. So why the hell did they consume that gravy? I would have taken the rojak gone back to the hawker stall and asked the rojak hawker to taste it himself and also ask for a refund.

The moral of this story is to stand up for your consumer rights and also not be so stingy and tight fisted. Even if the hawker would not provide a refund I still would not consume the suspect rojak, $4-$5 is just not worth the risk as can be seen from what transpired. No refund make a complaint to NEA.

Also any food that smells off or taste unusual even by just abit don't take a risk whether outside or at home or anywhere for that matter. Er on the side of caution, don't be stingy and $$$ tight fisted, better to dispose of the suspect food rather than pay the price with your health.