• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I just love this camera even though it will cost a bomb!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm pretty sure that both Nikon and Canon will soon be using the same EVF within the next year. There are so many advantages of using an electronic viewfinder and the disadvantages are rapidly disappearing.

i thought you are an OVF guy, support DSLR and medium format camera?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i thought you are an OVF guy, support DSLR and medium format camera?

I love the Optical viewfinder for action photography. However, the advantages of an OVF will soon be nullified with EVFs as they get brighter, faster and bigger.

For studio and landscape, the EVF is fine. In fact it is even better because what you see is exactly what the sensor will capture.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that HUUUGE zoom 24-90mm is a killer zoom.
Nothing from sony can touch it except their best prime lens.
even with 24M with that lens, it kill the 42M sony.

it is real bias for steve to let this super expensive system to be the camera of the year.
How many people can afford a 5000 zoom lens and a 7000 body. so unfair.

U pay for wat u get n its a good camera n there is no comparison w the sony

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
An article to put things into perspective :

HOME / CAMERAS AND LENSES / DEBUNKING THE MIRRORLESS HYPE

Debunking The Mirrorless Hype

JULY 14, 2015 BY BOB VISHNESKI463 COMMENTS

It is hard to visit any photography website without noticing extensive fanfare being paid to the mirrorless camera niche. Some tout it as the savior of the mid-to-high end camera market. Others have dubbed it the “DSLR killer.” A number of prominent photographers have created videos and articles articulating how mirrorless innovations caused them to shed pounds from their bag and reintroduce them to the joy of photography. And why shouldn’t they? The market for traditional point-and-shoot cameras is in a free fall as smartphones increase in usage, quality, and capabilities. Traditional DSLR sales continue to fall as well. The industry certainly needs something to cheer about. And of course, photography websites need something to write about.There is a healthy amount of innovation taking place in the mirrorless market.

Sony, Fuji, and Olympus would like to “change the game” by introducing disruptive technology and reaping the benefits that follow. They have introduced new camera bodies that pack notable technological improvements in very small packages. Even if we are not mirrorless fans or customers at this point, we should all be thankful for the technological improvements taking place on this front. Nikon and Canon have been slow to cannibalize their DSLR sales, but they may not have much choice considering the downward trend in DSLR sales.That said, I believe the actual weight savings of mirrorless cameras over traditional DSLRS are somewhat exaggerated in the press.

To hear some talk, you would think that every mirrorless lens weighs but small fraction of its DSLR equivalent, and that the traditional 30lb DSLR backpack you take on your mountainous vacations will eventually be reduced to the weight of a few pieces of fruit, and fit in a fanny pack once you switch to a mirrorless system. Ok, I am exaggerating a bit, but not by much. There are indeed reasons to be excited about mirrorless cameras and the potential of this technology, but I would suggest that size and weight should not be at the top of this list.
The Mirrorless Weight Advantage?
I decided to compare a Sony A7II Body to a Nikon D750 Body as well put a variety of lenses on the scale, in a humble attempt to add some perspective to the mirrorless hype. This article is not meant to represent a head-to-head comparison of both cameras across the full range of features and functionality. Read on…1) Camera Bodies

1.1) Handling

The A7II 24MP mirrorless camera is an impressive gem. My concern with it, however, is the same I had when I first got back into photography in 2007 and handled a Canon Rebel – nice camera but too small for my extra-large hands. The same held true for a Fuji XT-1 that I owned for a short time. I find cameras such as the Nikon D7100, D810, and D750 much more comfortable to hold.I am even less enthusiastic regarding how these smaller cameras feel with larger lenses attached. Any camera body can feel tolerable in your hands with a small featherweight prime lens on it. Put a 70-200mm f/2.8 or f/4 on a camera and walk around all day with it, carry it one-handed, and you will quickly realize how balanced and comfortable it is – or not.

I regularly hold my D810 with an 80-400mm lens comfortably in one hand. Given the diminutive grip size of the mirrorless entries, I am not sure I would feel as comfortable doing the same.In the Great Race to save weight and size, I believe the mirrorless manufacturers may have sacrificed some handling characteristics for a fairly substantial portion of the population. With the changes Sony made to expand the grip size of the A7II, it seems to have gotten the message that smaller grip sizes may negatively impact overall comfort and feel. In order to address these issues, however, Sony had to add a bit of size and weight to the original A7.

The result, of course, was a body that is not that much smaller or lighter than the D750, thus negating what Sony had been stressing as one of its main selling points of the A7 style bodies. Surprisingly, there were no ads claiming, “After touting the smaller size of our A7 full frame mirrorless camera, guess what? We made it bigger and heavier!” Even with the improved grip, however, the A7II may be a bit small for some to comfortably hold, particularly with a longer lens attached.If I had a word of advice for Nikon or Canon (they haven’t been calling for a while now…), when they finally jump into the DX and FX market with mirrorless entries, I would suggest making them closer to the DX body size (height) than the current Sony A7II. Do not expect photographers with medium-to-large hands to grip their camera and lens with 2 or 2 ½ fingers. Saving a few ounces of weight at the expense of a comfortable grip is not worth the trade-off. Those of you with smaller hands are likely to disagree with my perspective on this matter.

1.2) Weight

All things being equal – such as the number of shots per battery and a sampling of lenses across different focal lengths and apertures – the weight benefits of mirrorless, at least for this comparison, are far less than you may have been led to believe. The Sony A7II Sony NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh) gets up to 340 shots per charge (and much less under some conditions). The Nikon EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery 1900mAh) gets 1230 shots per charge. If I planned on going out for a day trip, in order to make things equal, I would plan on taking 4 Sony batteries to 1 Nikon battery.

Yes, that would give me an extra 110 shots with the Sony A7II (1340 compared to 1230), but I am not going to quibble on this one. Some Sony fans may cry foul, either due to their belief that I should not be using a 4:1 ration for Sony-to-Nikon battery comparison, or that they never need more than 2 or 3 batteries while out shooting for a day. Fair enough. But in my book (and this article), I am sticking to the 4:1 ratio. Adding a few extra batteries to the mix reduces the Sony A7II’s weight advantage over the Nikon, while bringing their costs closer in line as well.Total weight difference between the Sony A7II and Nikon D750, taking the battery concerns into account: 112 grams or 4 ounces.

To add some context – 112 grams/4 ounces is less than the weight of a banana or my Invicta watch. Not exactly a “revolution” on the weight reduction front. If there is a reason to buy a A7II instead of a Nikon D750, weight doesn’t seem to be it, despite claims to the contrary.
Weight Showdown – Sony A7II vs. Nikon D750
1.3) Mirrorless or DSLR?

If camera and lens weight are a significant concern for you, your first question should not be “Mirrorless vs. DSLR?” but rather “FX, DX, or other smaller sensor?” As we will see in the next section, mirrorless lenses are not guaranteed to be any lighter than their DSLR equivalents, despite the many advertisements to the contrary. Simply put, the size of the sensor drives the size of the lens. Given recent advancements in sensor technology, I am hard-pressed to recommend FX (mirrorless or DSLR) to anyone other than the most demanding photographers or those with unlimited funds (I don’t personally know anyone in this latter group, but suspect they are out there). I suggest that anyone looking to buy a new camera system begin by realistically consider their needs, and then price out a few systems in FX, DX, etc. for both DSLR and mirrorless offerings and find the sweet spot between features, costs, and the weight of the system.

Simply deciding on an DX rather than an FX system can significantly reduce both weight and costs.I also listed the weight of some other common items that I wear, have in my pocket, or might toss in my backpack for a day’s shooting. I don’t expect to see Sony hyping the weight savings of its A7II as being the approximate weight of ½ of an avocado anytime soon, but that is the difference between these two cameras after accounting for the differences in the batteries. I added this chart to bring a bit of perspective to some of the nonsensical arguments people engage in regarding relatively trivial variations in weight between one product and another.

While I appreciate reductions in the weight of my equipment as much as anyone, saving a few ounces here or there on any single piece of gear is simply not a big deal. I get even less excited about the weight of mirrorless systems when considering the weight of a full lens suite that I might take on a photography vacation to the mountains of Colorado or Alberta. If you are an elderly person or experience chronic neck or back pain, however, you may feel very differently about saving some weight, particularly when that weight is dangling from your neck all day. Then again, if you have such issues, FX – in any form – should be crossed off your list. Period.

Items Commonly Carried
I find it rather odd that given the extremely impressive results turned in by Nikon D7200 Review, the fact that slim, lightweight, ubiquitous smartphones – which seem to be getting better by the day – are killing off what is left of the soon-to-be-extinct point-and-shoot market, and Sony, Fuji, and Olympus are touting smaller, innovative mirrorless entries, Nikon wants everyone to jump to FX camera bodies and the heavier, more expensive lenses that come with them. You have to wonder…

1.4) Lenses

There are no magical properties of mirrorless technology that will result in lenses that are significantly lighter than their DSLR equivalents. Sensor shifting image stabilization technology can alleviate the need to put image stabilization technology in each lens, potentially reducing the size and weight, but this capability is not exclusive to mirrorless cameras. My first DSLR, a Pentax K10D featured this technology in 2007. Camera manufacturers may be able to use a shorter flange on mirrorless lenses due to the proximity of the lens to the sensor. This will save some weight, but is not going to produce any significant results.A few things about the chart below:

1. I do not mean to imply that each of these lenses is a direct match for the other. I would certainly not make the case that the Nikon 24-85mm lens is the equivalent of the Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 lens. I merely used the Nikon 24-85mm to show that it is possible to make a lens with a similar focal length and aperture with a similar weight in this particular range for FX DSLRs.

2. You may disagree with my specific lens comparisons, but at the present time, there is not a 1:1 comparison of the Sony and Nikon lens line-ups (Canon and Nikon are obviously much better matched lens per lens). I used the Nikon version of the Tamron 90m macro since it matched the focal length of the Sony equivalent. Thus this chart is to give you some examples of how similar (but not exact) lenses equate for each respective mount/manufacturer.

3. The important issue is that the majority of these lenses, such as the 70-200mm f/4s, are pretty close in weight. None of these differences are very meaningful, except for the 16-35mm f/4 match-up. Then again, if I were in the market for a wide-angle FX zoom today, I would probably pick up the new 18-35mm,forego lens stabilization as it is not critical within this focal length range, and find a way to make do with the loss of 2mm. The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is probably not a fair comparison to the Sony Sonnar 35mm f/2.8, but Sony does not have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 equivalent at this time.If you loaded all of the lenses listed in two separate bags, their total weight would only vary by a mere 195 grams or 6.9 ounces. To put that in perspective, that is more than the weight of a banana, but not as much as an avocado – for 9 lenses. Let that one sink in a bit before rushing out to trade in your FX DSLR for an FX mirrorless kit.
Sony A7II Lenses vs. Nikon D750 Lenses
2) Summary

The total weight difference between the Sony A7II, the Nikon D750, batteries, and 9 equivalent lenses is a whopping (Camera: 112 grams/4 ounces + Lenses: 195 grams/6.9 ounce) 307 grams or 10.8 ounces. That is less than the weight of 2 bananas. Yawn…Mirrorless technology continues to advance at a rapid pace. But much of the hype about weight savings is just that – hype. Don’t be taken in by it. The size of the sensor, not whether the camera has a mirror, is the primary driver with respect to the size and weight of the lenses. If weight is a critical concern, take a hard look at the type of systems you can build around each of the sensor sizes – FX, DX, and smaller, relative to cost, quality, and weight.

Immediately cross FX off the list unless you never intend to shoot with anything other a 20mm to 50mm prime f/1.8 lens. Mirrorless prices are coming down overall, but they still tend to command a premium over their DSLR counterparts. I would give the edge to DSLRs over mirrorless offerings for now, primarily in consideration of value, features, and lens availability, but DSLR’s advantages are quickly being eroded. While you may find a few mirrorless cameras and lenses that are a few ounces lighter than their DSLR brethren, there is no free lunch – the lens must cover the sensor in the camera – and that means a minimal amount of glass, plastic, metal, and electronics per given sensor size.I shoot with a D810 and am quite pleased with it, despite its weight.

I readily admit that I occasionally fantasize about featherweight camera systems, particularly after an 8 mile hike in the Rocky Mountains. If I were starting over today, I would be very tempted to buy a D7200, leave the new 16-80mm 2.8-4.0 lens attached to it 90% of the time, rely on a 70-200mm f/4 as my next go-to lens, and opt for a few 1.8G primes, a Tokina 11-20mm, and a new 300mm f/4. I might add a 1.4 T/C for wildlife, a Tamron 90mm for macro, and a Nikon 10.5 fisheye for fun. If I wanted to increase the D7200’s buffer capacity a notch for wildlife or action shots, I would simply switch from 14 bit lossless to 12 bit lossless compression, as John Sherman pointed out in an excellent article, and fire away. I would bite the bullet on low light capabilities and hope that Topaz DeNoise could work some magic on my higher ISO shots. But as Nikon D7200 review, the D7200 already does an impressive job of managing noise.Caveats and critiques of the mirrorless weight “advantage” aside, I believe mirrorless technology will ultimately win the battle with DSLRs.

Because of weight advantage? Nope. Mirrorless will win the battle because it eliminates a major electro-mechanical component. Eliminating the mirror reduces engineering challenges as well as the parts necessary to make these components work reliably and at high speeds. Throughout the history of machinery, eliminating electro-mechanical components in favor of purely electrical equivalents has been a key step in the progression of technology.Eliminating the mirror also translates into improved reliability (less mechanical parts that can move and break), offers customers the benefits of offering high shutter speeds (historically only available in costly high end cameras such as the Nikon D4 and the Canon 1DX) in lower-cost cameras, and reduces maintenance headaches for consumers and manufacturers alike. In my opinion, these are the real benefits of mirrorless technology.

There is little doubt that mirrorless technology will ultimately be the foundation of future mid-to-high end cameras. The slight weight reduction gained by eliminating the mirror component is icing on the cake – not the cake itself.Sony is obviously being very aggressive on the pricing front in order to get a foothold in the market and establish itself as a clear alternative to Nikon and Canon. The good news is that the turmoil in the camera market has turned up the heat on DSLR manufacturers to increase their pace of innovation and provide more value to consumers in order to drive sales. It is only a matter of time before Nikon and Canon are forced to respond.Now if Nikon and Canon can only figure out how to introduce DX and FX mirrorless models while preserving consumers’s investments in a combined total of approximately 190 million lenses…

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A more balanced review of the Leica SL (compared to Steve Huff's)

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/10/22/leica-sl-typ-601-hands-on-review/

Not an A7 or DSLR competitor – Hands-On with the new Leica SL (Typ 601)

Two days after the announcement, Heather and I had the chance to see the new Leica SL in London. There is still a lot of talk surrounding this camera, as well as many questions related to its dimensions, price and real target user. As with every press event, one hour was not enough to arrive at a definitive conclusion. However, the title of this article already gives you a big hint as to where my impressions are headed.

What is important to understand is that first of all the SL fills the gap between Leica’s T system (APS-C) and S system (medium format). It can also stand alongside the M rangefinder cameras not so much as an alternative but as a complement. It has been designed for Leica users and aficionados above all.
Then we can consider the main specs that you might have already read: it’s mirrorless, it’s full frame and it’s been designed for professional photographers. Leica actually calls it the “first professional mirrorless camera.” All this sounds pretty exciting until we see the price, the purest reminder that this system is not for everyone.

So the real question is: how can this new system fit into the existing mirrorless market, where every camera brand is now involved to some degree?

SL (Typ 601), 1/50, f/4, ISO 250
Click to open the high res version.

The Leica SL (typ 601) Main Specs

• Sensor: 24 megapixel Full Frame CMOS
  • Lens system: L-mount
  • Weatherproof: Yes
  • Internal Stabilisation: None
  • Autofocus: Contrast detection AF with 49 autofocus points
  • Continuous shooting: 11 fps (speed priority), 7fps (focus priority)
  • ISO Sensitivity: 50 – 50000 ISO
  • Shutter Speeds: 1/8000 to 60 seconds
  • Viewfinder: 0.66” 4.4 million dots viewfinder with 0.8x magnification and 60fps of refresh rate
  • LCD Screen: 3″ LCD touch sensitive display (1280k dots), 1.28” monochrome LCD panel
  • Movie recording: 4K up to 30fps, Full HD up to 120fps
  • Built-in Flash: None
  • Extra Features: Wifi, GPS
  • Dimensions: 147 x 104 x 39mm
  • Weight: 847g (including battery and memory card)

Hands-On Video

You can find a summary of our hands-on with the camera in the video below.

Design, ergonomics and ease of use

The Leica SL weighs around 850g which puts it on the same level as cameras such as the Nikon D750 (840g). Concerning the dimensions, the only major difference is simply that by lacking the flipping mirror, the Leica body is slimmer, so you lose the extra bulkiness DSLRs have. Put it side-by-side with the mirrorless Sony A7r II and the latter definitely seems smaller and it also weighs less (625g).

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-1.jpg

The Leica SL vs Sony A7r II

But how does the SL feel in hand?

I would be lying to you if I said it didn’t feel good. The grip is large and comfortable to grab. The camera feels rock solid but that doesn’t come as a surprise. It is a Leica and we know that the German brand spares no expense. We get a full weather sealed body crafted from milled aluminium. The dials and buttons are excellent. Like the M and the Q, the SL feels like a true Leica. More than the dimensions, I would say that, unlike other mirrorless systems, it is the weight that doesn’t offer any significant advantage over a DSLR.

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-2.jpg

The weight and feel of a DSLR camera.

As mirrorless photographers, we are used to having lots of buttons and dials confined to small areas on the camera body, so when you first see the abundance of space between the various buttons on the SL, it almost looks like a waste. Why not add a few extra? Well, it’s because Leica has a different idea about the button layout of its cameras.

What surprises you from the start is the lack of any markings on or near the buttons.

Unlike other cameras, you need to go through the user manual at least once to be sure not to miss anything. For example I didn’t realise at first that you have to press the rear dial to switch from one shooting mode to the other (PSAM). There is also a Fn button on the front and two silver buttons on top (video mode and video recording).

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-3.jpg

The button layout is very simple but with no markings.

The rear of the camera tells us how much it has been inspired by its big brother, the S type. There are four rectangular buttons around the LCD screen and each one will activate different functionalities. If you press once they will display different options and the main menu. If you click and hold you can bring up some specific settings that can be customised. I have to say that while this button layout was confusing at first, I don’t dislike the concept. If the SL were to become my workhorse, I could see myself learning to use everything at a glance just by getting used to the position of the buttons. That’s why having lots of space between them becomes essential. At the same time, I can’t stop thinking that a complete lack of markings is more a design choice than a real benefit to the user. One thing I do like very much is the AF Pad that allows you to change the focus point instantly. It is very similar to the one you find on DSLRs.

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-4.jpg

The rear looks very familiar to the S camera

The viewfinder is definitely one of the main strengths of the SL: it didn’t impress me for its resolution or refresh rate (60fps like the X-T1) but for its size (0.66”).

It is really large and comfortable to use, which is in part thanks to the rounded eye cap. The LCD screen on the rear is touch sensitive and allows you to perform the same operations available on the Leica Q: change the focus point, take a shot and play back the images. On top there is another clue that tells us this camera is professionally orientated and that is the LCD panel. It too has some interesting functionalities. In addition to showing you the main settings and shooting mode selected, in manual focus for example it will display the distance scale when you half-press the shutter release button.

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-7.jpg
T
he top LCD panel can also show you the distance scale.

Then there is the dual SD card slot. Some might be indifferent to this but I can assure you that I’ve heard professional photographers lamenting the lack of such an option on other mirrorless system time and time again. I also know that it is one of the reasons some of them hesitate to switch to a CSC.

Personally I’ve only ever used cameras with one slot for work and never had a single issue. Many other photographers will tell you the same. With the SL you can do pretty much what you can do on high-end DSLRs. You can use the second slot to back up what’s being recorded on the first card or decide to save the JPGs on one and the DNG (Raw) files on the other. You can use the second card to keep shooting when the first one is full. The latter is very useful for video.

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-5.jpg

Dual Slot for SD card, a feature that some pro photographers will definitely appreciate.

The battery is large and very similar to DSLR batteries in size but I am not sure about the life span. The official specs state 400 shots with a single charge but Leica confirmed that it doesn’t count extensive use of Wifi, GPS, 4K video or continuous shooting. So spare batteries will be needed and they aren’t coming cheap!

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-6.jpg
T
The battery with last for 400 shots but without counting Wifi, GPS or 4k recording.

Image quality and L lenses

The Leica SL has pretty much the same sensor as the Leica Q (you can check out our review here). However it has received some tweaks to enhance the performance slightly. The most noticeable is the base ISO that starts from 50 instead of 100. I had the chance to take a few shots but I won’t go into too much detail about it for now. I love the image quality from the Q although I found some banding issues when I pushed the Raw file and at high ISOs. Personally I don’t expect a huge improvement in comparison to the Leica Q.

SL (Typ 601), 1/100, f/5.6, ISO 100

SL (Typ 601), 1/125, f/4, ISO 100

SL (Typ 601), 1/200, f/8, ISO 100

SL (Typ 601), 1/50, f/3.8, ISO 12500

Along with the camera I also had the chance to test the new 24-90mm f/2.8-4. This lens is definitely “guilty” of making the camera look bigger than it actually is but the combo definitely gives you the feeling of holding a DSLR. The lens offers an interesting focal range but given its size I wonder why Leica didn’t go with a constant f/2.8 aperture (perhaps by cutting down a few millimetres at the telephoto end). The internal focus mechanism and high quality optical performance seem to be weak arguments to justify the very high price of this “kit lens” (more than $4000). It is definitely very sharp and I am sure the optical quality is high but if you look at the environmental portraits of Heather below, the bokeh doesn’t impress me, for example.

SL (Typ 601), 1/50, f/3.7, ISO 100

SL (Typ 601), 1/60, f/4, ISO 100

Unfortunately the other new lenses weren’t there. The second zoom, the 90-280mm f/2.8-4, will be available in the first quarter of 2016. Judging by the official photos, it really looks big and heavy and again it is not an f/2.8 constant even if it offers another set of very interesting focal lengths. The 50mm f/1.4 Summilux will be available at the end of 2016. These new lenses all offer optical stabilisation. There isn’t any additional information about future lenses for now.

The SL shares the same mount as the Leica T but it has been renamed the L-mount. This means that the new full-frame lenses are called SL while the T lenses have become TL. Leica demonstrated in the presentation that the camera can be used with the TL lenses (four are available already, two more to come next year) but the camera will automatically work in APS-C mode (10MP). This is no different to how the Sony E-Mount works. I only see this option as being worthwhile for someone who already owns some TL lenses.

Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-9.jpg

An M adaptor for the L-mount (ex T-mount)

Leica will also release a set of adapters to allow the use of its manual focus lenses from the M series, the now discontinued R series and even their Cinema lenses. Note that the last group is very expensive and are usually rented for big Hollywood productions. But sure, why not, it is an extra option!
For now I definitely see the M and R lenses as the best alternative for the lack of native lenses.

In part it is because they can be found second-hand but it is mainly because manual focusing with that EVF should be a real pleasure (peaking and magnification are also available). Plus, I bet that people interested in buying this camera likely own some M or R lenses already.

Autofocus and video capabilities

Now if there is one thing that didn’t impressed me about the new Leica SL, it is the autofocus.

Leica claims it is the world’s fastest, something we’ve all read from other brands as well. (Namely one beginning with F). Okay, so it’s marketing and we are all used to it but how does it actually perform? Well let’s start by saying that this is very likely (it is) the DfD system that Panasonic uses on its newest Lumix cameras. The same AF points, the same contrast detection type AF, and I would say the same behaviour.

Overall the AF locks fast enough but a few times I had out-of-focus results even in good light, such as for example the model below. In worse light, it failed to lock a few times when switching quickly from one person to the another. With Heather I did a quick continuous shooting test and here again I was expecting better results. I definitely need to test this in various conditions but as a first impression of the “world’s fastest” AF, I have to say I am not impressed.

An example of misfocused shot and it isn’t the only one I got.

When it comes to video, the SL is definitely the first serious camera from Leica in this department.

We get 4K format up to 30fps and Full HD at 120fps for slow motion footage. There is zebra, audio monitoring and S-Log V gamma to record a flat image and it works at low ISOs as well. The latter is actually very interesting because combined with the full size HDMI output that is 10 bit 4:2:2 (like the Panasonic GH4), there is definitely the potential to record very nice footage with this camera and have lots of colour grade versatility.
Below you can watch a very short video giving you an idea about the 4k capabilities with the V-Log L gamma.

Conclusion: a new Leica camera for Leica users?

Everything else I have to say will have to wait for the full review. The last thing I can talk about is of course the price. Now we know that when it comes to Leica cameras, things just aren’t cheap. The brand wants to stick to its own standards of quality and doesn’t aim to sell to the masses. The problem is that I’m personally starting to see some discrepancies in Leica’s strategy.

The M series is not just a camera but a symbol, designed and built with very precise and high quality criteria. It provides a different user experience. Whether you embrace it or just ignore it, the system still has a place in today’s photography world in my opinion.

Leica is also one of the only brand that still fully supports film in the sense that it still produces film cameras, and therefore pays tribute to the past.
The S system is medium format so it is situated in a market where there is less competition, and the APS-C series (X and T) cost too much for what they offer, although there areaspects of the Leica T I really like. If that camera had been released a few years earlier, I’m sure it could have had more success but unfortunately it came out when there were already plenty of offerings from other brands in the APS-C sector.

Then this year they came out with the Leica Q, a beacon of “hope” that the brand was changing direction. It is a great camera with great performance, with a high price, yes, but definitely more accessible and worth its weight in gold. That’s probably why Leica is having trouble keeping up with the demand for the Q right now.

Where does the Leica SL stand then?
Leica-SL-Typ-601-product-8.jpg

Well, not to sound like a broken record, but the problem is once again the price. It puts the camera on a different level than other brands such as Sony in the mirrorless segment and Nikon/Canon in the DSLR segment. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting something cheap but I was hoping for something a little more competitive. The SL costs double a D810 or A7r II. The same goes for the lenses. It simply appears to me that Leica doesn’t want to compete and that is where I find the discrepancy.

Why organise an event in Germany with hundreds of guests, introduce a camera that claims to be the first professional mirrorless with the world’s fast autofocus, just to aim at its own market? Why not challenge the other companies for real?

The truth is that the SL doesn’t seem to offer outstanding and game changing performance. Right now the EVF is the best on the market but that will only last until the next brand releases a new camera with even better EVF specs. The sensor is excellent but doesn’t beat other cameras like the A7r II or the D810. The AF is good but in the end it is what Panasonic started to put in its cameras two years ago and it is still in need of some improvement. The 4K capabilities are nice but again many others already have it. So what is left then? Okay, it’s the first mirrorless camera with a dual SD card slot but that isn’t exactly slogan material.

The problem with talking about price is that I generally don’t like to just sum up a camera by saying “it’s too expensive”. With the other Leica cameras (especially the M series) the price is somewhat understandable but here I struggle more.

All in all, the Leica SL seems to be a very good camera and I am sure it can excel at different genres. Plus, being the start of a new system, I am more than willing to give it time to prove itself. But if Leica doesn’t plan to challenge the competition and simply sees the SL as an alternative for M users who wish to drop their current DSLR and use the same brand for all their work, I am going to need some motivation.

On a closing note, I’d like to leave you with a quote (non-verbatim) from the official Leica presentation: “I know that many people were waiting for an interchangeable Q camera, but we created the SL instead.” I think this synthesises what I’ve been trying to say throughout the article: that Leica doesn’t want to compete outside its own niche but rather, it wants to complete it.

What are your thoughts about the Leica SL after reading this hands-on review? We welcome your thoughts!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Went to the store today for a test shoot.

I've changed my mind and have decided I'm not going to blow almost $20,000 for the time being.

The reason for my change of heart is because the Leica SL does not track focus a well as my Nikon D4 in AF-C mode for subjects moving towards the camera directly. Got a yield of about 80% in focus shots with the Leica vs more than 95% for my D4.

A future firmware upgrade will probably improve focus tracking but in the meantime the money stays in my bank account earning a measly 3.5% interest.

I'll treat myself to a new Nikon lens instead. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I've changed my mind and have decided I'm not going to blow almost $20,000 for the time being.

The reason for my change of heart is because the Leica SL does not track focus a well as my Nikon D4 in AF-C mode for subjects moving towards the camera directly. Got a yield of about 80% in focus shots with the Leica vs more than 95% for my D4.

A future firmware upgrade will probably improve focus tracking but in the meantime the money stays in my bank account earning a measly 3.5% interest.

I'll treat myself to a new Nikon lens instead. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

nothing beats professional DSLR in tracking focus. 95% for D4? i think D1X is higher, why did you not jump ship. That is a nice update.
Leica SL will not sell well. It is between DSLR and rangefinder. Neither here or there. People who buy it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
nothing beats professional DSLR in tracking focus. 95% for D4? i think D1X is higher, why did you not jump ship. That is a nice update.
Leica SL will not sell well. It is between DSLR and rangefinder. Neither here or there. People who buy it.

The D4s is even better than the D4 so it should equal or beat the D1X.

I'm waiting for the D5.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I forgot to add that there was another issue which put me off : that monster zoom lens does not zoom internally.

It extends to just short of twice the length and what I hate about such designs is lens creep when the lens is pointed downwards.

I bought the Nikon 70mm to 200mm F2.8 VR 2 today and spent the afternoon playing with it attached to my D810. It is razor sharp all the way down to F2.8 and insanely sharp at F9 which is the sweet spot.

Lens cost NZD3000 but it is worth every penny. I'm a happy man today.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Firmware update is here.....

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/65...mproves-image-and-evf-quality-and-l-log-gamma

[h=1]Leica SL firmware update improves image and EVF quality and L-Log gamma[/h]Published Dec 14, 2015 | Jeff Keller

Leica-SL_Leica-APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL_90-280_ASPH_front.jpeg
Leica has announced a firmware update for its SL (Typ 601) full-frame mirrorless camera. The company says that firmware v1.2 improves low ISO performance, the quality of the image on the electronic viewfinder, and makes entering Wi-FI passwords easier.
It also corrects an issue with using the Leica Log Gamma curve (L-Log) with internal 8-bit recording, which was previously only capturing the bright tones from the scene. The update has lowered the offset to zero, which will allow the files to incorporate darker tones.
Finally, there's now an image magnification tool for use with Leica M and R lenses, which is activated by the AE Lock button. The update also ensures that the correct EXIF information is recorded when using R lenses via their adapter.
The update is now available for download and can be installed at a local Leica store.

Press release:
[h=2]Leica Camera Announces New Firmware Update for SL Users[/h]Leica Firmware Update 1.2 Optimizes Picture Quality and Improves Handling
December 14, 2015 – Leica Camera today announced a new firmware update 1.2 for the Leica SL, which includes several fundamental improvements in the camera’s picture quality and handling. To access the firmware update, registered camera users can log into the Leica owner’s area of the Leica website and download the firmware version at: https://owners.leica-camera.com. Leica users can also take their camera to a Leica store and take advantage of the free update installation service.
The new firmware update 1.2 includes optimization of picture quality at ISO values from 50 to 400, improvements to the image in the electronic viewfinder and greater flexibility when entering WLAN passwords.
When shooting with Leica M and R lenses, camera users will find that the new firmware update 1.2 activates a loupe (magnifying) function with the auto exposure lock button (AE Lock) to allow fast manual focusing. Additionally, the firmware update guarantees the correct indication of the R-Adapter-M and the R-Lens used in the EXIF data of image files.
Finally, the firmware update offers an improvement in the Leica Log Gamma curve (L-Log) for video, enabling its use for in-camera 8-bit recording. The reduction of the offset will now allow recordings to appear considerably darker. Subsequently, videos recorded with L-Log must be corrected with a gamma correction in an external video editing program. The use of L-Log enables greater leeway for post-production color grading of videos recorded on the Leica SL.
Leica SL owners can also find a regularly updated and expanded overview of all SD cards compatible for use with their camera at sl.leica-camera.com.
For more information about the Leica SL Firmware Update 1.2 or Leica visit www.leica-camera.com, or follow the brand on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About Leica Camera
Passion for creating perfect pictures. Leica represents a union of craftsmanship, design and experience. It is a beautiful collision of art and engineering, and the future of form and functionality. Leica Camera is an internationally operating, premium-segment manufacturer of cameras and sport optics products. The legendary status of the Leica brand is founded on a long tradition of excellence in the supreme quality and performance of cameras and lenses, and the iconic images that artists and photojournalists everywhere captured with them. Leica Camera AG is headquartered in Wetzlar, Germany.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Firmware update is here.....

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/65...mproves-image-and-evf-quality-and-l-log-gamma

Leica SL firmware update improves image and EVF quality and L-Log gamma

I'm waiting for the firmware update that improves focus tracking. :smile: I'll then give it another go.

However that does not solve the issue of the lens. For $7000, I would expect better.

There is a good comparison between 2 Nikon medium zoom lenses.

One is $500. The other is $3000.

For $3000, Nikon produced an F2.8 lens with constant aperture throughout the zoom range with internal zoom and focus which is as sharp as nails throughout.

The Leica lens is like the $500 Nikon 70-300... external zoom and variable aperture.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm waiting for the firmware update that improves focus tracking. :smile: I'll then give it another go.

However that does not solve the issue of the lens. For $7000, I would expect better.

There is a good comparison between 2 Nikon medium zoom lenses.

One is $500. The other is $3000.

For $3000, Nikon produced an F2.8 lens with constant aperture throughout the zoom range with internal zoom and focus which is as sharp as nails throughout.

The Leica lens is like the $500 Nikon 70-300... external zoom and variable aperture.

So its not worth the money...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
http://petapixel.com/2016/03/26/full-res-nikon-d5-photos-iso-3276800/

These photos were provided to PetaPixel by photographer Valentin Morariu, who got hands-on time with the camera and a chance to shoot a series of sample shots.

The D5 has a native max ISO of 102400. Expanded modes include Hi1 (ISO 204800), Hi2 (ISO 409600), Hi3 (ISO 819200), Hi4 (ISO 1638400), and Hi5 (ISO 3276800). Click each photo below to see the photo at full resolution.
[h=3]ISO 3200[/h]
[h=3]ISO 6400[/h]
[h=3]ISO 12800[/h]
[h=3]ISO 25600[/h]
[h=3]ISO 51200[/h]
[h=3]ISO 64000[/h]
[h=3]ISO 162550[/h]
[h=3]ISO 204800[/h]
[h=3]ISO 409600[/h]
[h=3]ISO 819200[/h]
[h=3]ISO 1638400[/h]
[h=3]ISO 3276800[/h]