• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nikon's Trio of Firmware Update Announcements at CES 2019 Likely to Spice Things Up a Bit

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nikon's Trio of Firmware Update Announcements at CES 2019 Likely to Spice Things Up a Bit

by Mike O'Leary
January 9, 2019
15 Comments
nikon_mirrorless_camera_z_series_announcements.jpg

SHARES

Nikon have kept their word on promising some beefy firmware updates for their new full frame mirrorless, the Z series. These exciting new development announcements may tip the scale in the wars with Sony and Canon — for now.
The new firmware updates that are in development for Nikon's Z series:
  • Eye AF
  • CF Express compatibility
  • Raw video support
Eye AF
This has been a favorite feature on Sony cameras for a while now — prompting many portrait photographers to reach for the a7 range rather than Canon or Nikon. While this won't turn the tables on Sony, who also have effective Eye AF for animals, it will make anyone who is changing systems think twice. Not mentioned, however, was if this feature would be available in video mode.

CF Express
Nikon saw the writing on the wall with their choice to go with XQD slots when they designed the Z series. With SD formats being the standard for many years, the industry was bound for major improvements, and boy has there been a few leaps in the last couple of years. XQD cards have supremely fast read/write speeds when compared to SD cards: the upper limit for an SD card is 312 MB/s, while for XQD cards, as of now, it's 1.4 GB/s. CF Express cards take that even further with an upper limit of 8 GB/s. It goes without saying that they also have the same physical form, allowing them to be cross-compatible if the software allows it, and now it looks like the Z series firmware update will take advantage of that.

Raw Video Support
This is probably the most exciting update from Nikon. No other stills/video hybrid has this feature: the ability to output raw video to the ATOMOS Ninja 5, using the ProRes raw codec. This feature is a game-changer, especially for videographers who need a flexible and light system.

Positive Moves
There was a lot of speculation as to whether or not Nikon would be able to keep its promise of significant updates, but it really seems that it has been listening to its community. These new features really open up a host of new creative avenues for its users. Your turn, Canon.

More detail on these features will be announced at a later date, including when they are to be released.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have been using the Z6 for the past 3 weeks and I have to say it is a phenomenal camera. Love it to death.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The legacy lenses cost a fortune to accumulate.n it's practically useless now..such a waste. But u can afford it...so enjoy yr new camera

My F mount 70-200mm F2.8 is my favorite lens which I'm using now on my Z6 with the adaptor and it works very well.

However when the equivalent Z mount lens appears on the scene it'll be hard to resist especially if it is smaller and lighter.

Last edited:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
My F mount 70-200mm F2.8 is my favorite lens which I'm using now on my Z6 with the adaptor and it works very well.

However when the equivalent Z mount lens appears on the scene it'll be hard to resist especially if it is smaller and lighter.
Yes technology does improve. Anyway I am now considering the Z6.. seems better than Sony. But I still prefer Canon. Not a Nikon fan