• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I just love this camera even though it will cost a bomb!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as show on the photo from steve huff, A7Rii with their best lens 35mm f1.4
beat Leica SL zoom

at a much cheaper price.
i think the number of people holding SL will be a very small number
do you have a backlog in your country?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
as show on the photo from steve huff, A7Rii with their best lens 35mm f1.4
beat Leica SL zoom

at a much cheaper price.
i think the number of people holding SL will be a very small number
do you have a backlog in your country?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/11/30/leica-sl-camera-review-my-camera-of-the-year-2015/

DSC09901.jpg
The Leica SL (type 601) Camera Review. My Camera of the Year 2015!
By Steve Huff
(NOTE: You must click on the images in this review to see them how they were meant to be seen. If not they will appear soft and dull)
So here I am, another year older and another year of some amazing camera’s that have come through the Huff Household. I can not believe I am now 46 years old! Seems like yesterday when I started this websitebut I was 38 going on 39. Time flies when you really enjoy life, love what you do, and live as happy as you possibly can. I believe in loving every moment of life, avoiding negativity and being a nice person to all. Usually when I am about to write a new Leica review I get a bit tense as many HATE the Leica brand simply due to the cost of their cameras and this means that just by me being honest in this review, there will be Leica hate comments coming in.

Leica is a brand that is understood by some, and misunderstood by many. Whatever the dialogue here one can not take away the fact that Leica has created, for me at least, the best digital camera I have ever used, owned or tested. THAT is a HUGE claim, I know…and as much as I love and adore and use my Sony A7RII, the SL beats it out for what it offers, and yes, the quality of the images and the camera itself.

Also, since the Leica SL comes in at $7500, this review will be a 7500 word review with over 75 images :wink: Not quite the over 10,000 words of my Leica M 240 review from over 2 years ago but close enough!

It was a hard choice as to which camera would make my “Camera of the Year 2015” as the amazing Sony A7RII had it in the bag a few weeks ago. Then this SL hit me and surprised me with an amazing overall user experience, which is VERY important when using a camera. It’s the main reason I do not give the Sigma DP series much love here as the user experience is awful with those cameras even though the IQ is incredibly good. I prefer a camera that looks great, is built to a high standard, is easy to use, reliable, fast and has amazing image quality. While the Sony A7RII has all of this, the Leica has a little more, and even though its more than 2X the cost of the Sony, you can really tell this when shooting with it so it’s not just an inflated price for a red dot sticker. If someone tells you it is they either have never touched the SL or are lying. The build alone will tell you this is a serious camera.

One of my 1st test shots with the Leica SL and 24-90 Zoom. My beautiful Debby :wink: CLICK IT TO SEE IT CORRECTLY!

But the SL is TOO expensive you say?

Yes, Leica is expensive… but so what, they always have been, nothing new here so everyone reading this knows the Leica pricing structure, so it should come as no surprise. Rolex makes an expensive watch. Porsche and Rolls Royce make expensive cars, and those who go to buy them know this. Some poeple live in million dollar homes while others live in modest $79,000 homes (what my home cost in 2010). That is the beauty of life..we have choices and can live our life the way that makes us the most happy, depending on our life situation and budget. If someone has loads of cash then Leica is not expensive to them. If someone has little cash, Leica seems ridiculous in their pricing. Either way, there is no denying they make beautiful cameras and lenses and with the SL I feel they created a whole new class of Mirrorless Camera, one of the best, if not THE best mirrorless body on the market, period (for mirrorless). Sure, only one native lens so far but more will come, and using M glass has never been more enjoyable. This camera is much more than just for the rich..see, I am not rich but I am happy and feel lucky and blessed to own one.

My 1st look video I did when the Leica SL 1st arrived. My excitement is still here after much use.
So enjoy this real world review of the new Leica SL and try to keep negativity and hate away as we are not learning anything new here…Leica is an expensive brand, but as with many things that cost more than the competition, sometimes you actually do get what you pay for. Sometimes.
My “Movember” Selfie with the SL and 24-90 at 24mm

The crisp files and rich color make the SL files POP. Click this and marvel at the crispness of it…
In the case of the SL, this is true as you do get what you pay for indeed. The SL is not like I originally thought…as in, it is NOT a Sony A7 copycat. Instead, it is like a whole new class of camera that for me, even outshines any DSLR or mirrorless camera in construction, feel, EVF, and when shooting…the SL gives you an amazing feeling..it’s one of the very few cameras I have “bonded” with in life. Using M lenses on the SL is a dream as the EVF is mind blowing good and the best EVF made to date, from any manufacturer…and yes, you can quote me on that one. Nothing like it exists in 2015 but I am sure the SL will force others to create better EVF tech in their bodies.

Strange that Leica was the one to build a better EVF as they rarely innovate. This time they did in more ways than one! Good for them.
Low light with only ambient bar lighting here yet this OOC JPEG looks great (click it) and color is rich and deep. The AWB did great here considering the challenging conditions.

When the SL was announced and I saw the A7 like body style and the price tag of $7500 I assumed Leica partnered with Panasonic to create an A7 copycat and were trying to charge a premium for it. When I received one for loan to review I quickly ate those words as the SL is on another planet for the way it was designed and how it works. This true made in Germany Leica feels like a precision camera..a tool that inspires confidence and one that makes you feel like you WANT to get the shots when using it. Many cameras fall short of this but Leica has a history of being amazing with it due to their cameras simplicity and basic nature. BTW, for those spreading false rumors out there..this is not a panasonic, this is a Leica.

The SL is in reality, more like a Mini S Type camera. You know, the insane crazy expensive camera with a medium format sensor that went for $22,000 not too long ago? Shrink an S camera, make it sleeker with the same level of build (even higher IMO with the SL) and you have the 35mm full frame SL with the 24 MP sensor from the Q (tweaked for the SL), which is an outstanding sensor much improved over what is in the M 240. The color and detail is so so good here, best I have seen from digital Leica. BTW, the Q sensor here has been “tweaked” for the SL.

But do know that this is not a small pocketable camera. It is larger than the A7 series, the M and while thinner and sleeker than any DSLR, it is still large when using the 24-90 zoom lens. Thrown on an M lens and it is compact, and feels perfect. In no way does it resemble a DSLR with an M lens as it is thin and tall where DSLR’s are short and squat and feel like a hunk of plastic usually. But use the 24-90 and it will get large if you are used to small cameras.

Both images below with the 50 Summilux at 1.4

Leica’s have Character

Leica’s have a way of giving you back beautiful and at times moody photos. That “Leica Look” as many call it…well, I call it “life photos”. It usually is a by product of the lenses as Leica makes some serious lenses with some serious IQ and pop/character. The new 24-90 f/2.8-f/4 zoom, while huge and massive, is the best zoom lens I have ever used from any manufacturer, without question, period. Now of course I have not used every zoom lens ever made, but have used quite a few. The 24-90 renders like a beautiful Leica prime and has the most amazing colors and details I have seen from any zoom at any price. It’s the only Zoom I have ever used that makes me WANT to use it and want own it! (and I do)

WOWZERS! THIS 24-90 Zoom is INCREDIBLE. The 1st zoom ever that makes me want to use it (and own it)
Is it expensive? YES, crazy expensive but if you have the cash, and want the best standard zoom around, the 24-90 f/2.8-f/4 will not disappoint. I call it like I see it and while I have never liked Zoom’s..I love this one. I did not originally order it but was able to buy this one that was sent to me. It is that good..yep… Steve Huff bought a Zoom Lens, and a crazy expensive one at that (that required me selling other things to afford it). That says A LOT as I usually avoid zooms like the plague but this new Leica has swayed me with its beauty, solid build, semi light weight and incredible performance across its range plus you get an extra 20mm compared to a Nikon or Canon or Zeiss 24-70 :wink:

Both images below with the fantastic Leica 24-90 Zoom. Click them for better view.

You do not have to like the SL, but you should respect it.

I see many bashing the SL camera on forums without seeing one, using one or even testing one. Same old thing that the Leica haters (or any camera brand hater who defends their brand) do every time a new major release is out. Hell, I was not being so nice to the SL the day it was announced but I had the same impression many got after seeing images and specs. After it arrived to me, I fell in love with the SL and admit I was wrong in my initial thoughts, in every way and I am happy to admit I was wrong.

The fact is that after using the SL I would choose it over the M 240 these days due to the great feel and build, the sensor, the EVF and the joy of using M glass on the camera (Until the next M of course). In fact, I ordered my own SL and 24-90, which is so out of my character but once I shot this camera and lens, I knew I had to have it. I was spoiled. I will use it from time to time but am most excited about shooting M glass with the SL. The 50 Lux is gorgeous here and no, the lens does not look to small for the camera as the camera is not that much larger than an M 240! Really!

Two more lenses planned for 2016. The 50 1.4 Summilux and the 90-280
But yes, I prefer this SL to the M 240. How crazy is THAT? I am a hardcore M lover so for a camera to sway me from the M means it has to be special and the SL is. It’s also comforting to know there is no rangefinder mechanism to drift out of alignment every few months, so using M glass means you will never have to wonder if your images will be in sharp focus.

50 Lux ASPH in action on the SL (click the images for much nicer looking images)

So let’s get to it… what is this SL? Who is it for?

The Leica SL, according to Leica, takes aim at Canon and Nikon PRO users. Yes, an impossible task, and even I will say that they will never get market share from Nikon or Canon. Not enough Native lenses (only one so far) and well, it’s not CANON or NIKON. Even so, the SL will have a place for many enthusiasts and pros anyway, and Leica never intends to sell Canon or Nikon numbers. The bottom line is, many will buy an SL from Pros to Enthusiasts to Leica lovers. It’s not just for pro shooters, it is for any passionate photographer who enjoys the craft, respects the craft and wants a VERY solid, amazing feeling and performing camera. I see Wedding Pros using the SL and feel that is where it will spread around as it is the perfect wedding or portrait camera.

Leica has the Q for hobbyists and enthusiasts (see my Review here), they have the M for rangefinder lovers (My huge review HERE) and they have the T (review here), and the X (review here) or even the D-Lux and others for those who want smaller more compact Leica’s. The SL is for the Pro or the one who wants the best made body in existence for mirrorless, best EVF with a killer sensor that delivers amazing color and richness to the files. It offers fantastic video (even 4K) as well and with the ability to use M lenses, R lenses, T lenses or even S lenses in addition to the new SL lenses…

…well, we now have the ULTIMATE Leica camera for the true Leica aficionado. The SL does it all “LEICA”, and it does it with ease and a very mature “flow”. Really, this is the most solid, mature, smooth and beautiful NEW camera I have ever used, owned or shot with.

In all honesty, it is responsible for lifting me out of a “funk” I was in with my shooting as it is very inspiring and it just makes you want to go out and shoot. It is a very inspiring tool.

TOP: Leica 50 Summilux ASPH. Bottom, Leica 24-90 at 90. Both fantastic lenses on the SL.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls let me know if this sensor is good?
it is sony a5000.
you mentioned that sensor is more important that mega pixel.
APS-C CMOS sensor

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to this diagram,
APS C CMOS is top 3 sensor.
the best sensor is full frame sensor.
is that true?

Because the pixel count is not important beyond 12 MP. The size of the sensor and the quality of the imaging algorithms has far more influence on the quality of the final image. Unless you have been commissioned by an advertising agency to shoot 6' x 4' life sized posters, 12 MP is more than enough pixels.

If your images are used primarily for on line viewing, all you need is 3 MP.

There is no point having 23MP when the sensor size is tiny as is the case with smart phone cameras. Noise levels, color and dynamic range are compromised considerably. Besides smart phone cameras have tiny, cheap lenses which are generally the weakest link.

I shoot with the OMD EM1 and print A2 size images for exhibitions and the images are all razor sharp with no pixelation whatsoever. Large sensors with low pixel counts produce the best images with the least amount of noise and the best dynamic range.

SensorSizes.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
According to this diagram,
APS C CMOS is top 3 sensor.
the best sensor is full frame sensor.
is that true?

Yes that is an excellent choice for 95% of your photographs.

Unless you're a professional photographer, you don't need to go all the way to full frame.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes that is an excellent choice for 95% of your photographs.

Unless you're a professional photographer, you don't need to go all the way to full frame.

it is now selling at 599sgd after 200sgd discount.
original price is sgd799.

i am really tempted to buy after I saw your diagram that APS-C CMOS size is the third biggest among all the camera in the market? Only Pentax 654D and Canon EOS 5D MARK3 have better sensor that sony a5000?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
it is now selling at 599sgd after 200sgd discount.
original price is sgd799.

i am really tempted to buy after I saw your diagram that APS-C CMOS size is the third biggest among all the camera in the market? Only Pentax 654D and Canon EOS 5D MARK3 have better sensor that sony a5000?

You can't go wrong with a Sony.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that HUUUGE zoom 24-90mm is a killer zoom.
Nothing from sony can touch it except their best prime lens.
even with 24M with that lens, it kill the 42M sony.

it is real bias for steve to let this super expensive system to be the camera of the year.
How many people can afford a 5000 zoom lens and a 7000 body. so unfair.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
that HUUUGE zoom 24-90mm is a killer zoom.
Nothing from sony can touch it except their best prime lens.
even with 24M with that lens, it kill the 42M sony.

it is real bias for steve to let this super expensive system to be the camera of the year.
How many people can afford a 5000 zoom lens and a 7000 body. so unfair.

There is nothing fair in this world. Some people can't afford a $3500 Sony either. They have to shoot with kit lens and a cheap DSLR.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is nothing fair in this world. Some people can't afford a $3500 Sony either. They have to shoot with kit lens and a cheap DSLR.

i can easily afford both a7rii and leica SL but i cannot see what is the point spending so much where, there are much cheaper camera that can do the trick.
My OMD-D E-m1 with latest firmware 4, amazing. small and light.

why should i carry such a HUUGEE zoom around? it is a pro camera, true and true.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i can easily afford both a7rii and leica SL but i cannot see what is the point spending so much where, there are much cheaper camera that can do the trick.
My OMD-D E-m1 with latest firmware 4, amazing. small and light.

why should i carry such a HUUGEE zoom around? it is a pro camera, true and true.

it's a Leica and it's made in Germany. That's what you're paying the big bucks for.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Epson announces the mass production start of the new 4.4MP EVF

Epson announced that it started to mass produce the new 4.4MP EVF. Plenty of companies like Sony and Olympus use Epson EVF. And DC.watch speculates the Epson 4.4MP EVF is the one used by the new Leica SL. It’s highly likely that we will see the same EVF in some of the 2016 new mirrorless cameras.

--------
hopefully my next mirrorless will have your SL EVF.
epsonEVF-700x297.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
hopefully my next mirrorless will have your SL EVF.

I'm pretty sure that both Nikon and Canon will soon be using the same EVF within the next year. There are so many advantages of using an electronic viewfinder and the disadvantages are rapidly disappearing.