• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Horticulture in OZ(Melb in particular)

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone, I would like to know how is the market like for the horticulture industry.

As some of you might know, I have a degree in marketing and I'm considering a masters in urban horticulture @ Uni of Melb. Of course the school's website is gonna paint a nice picture of the job prospects, but i gather it would be good to hear it from the others outside the school.

I thought that might complement my marketing degree if I'm on the sales side. But I'm not able to get salary figures for that. Only source I have is http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/primary-industry/horticulture.

Any thoughts about it? If I'm not able to get a Commonwealth place then I'm not gonna do the course and just go grab whatever my singapore education can get me.

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hmmm...bapok Bob is also a Horticulturalist, although allegedly in "forced" retirement...

tread carefully...

Hi everyone, I would like to know how is the market like for the horticulture industry.

As some of you might know, I have a degree in marketing and I'm considering a masters in urban horticulture @ Uni of Melb. Of course the school's website is gonna paint a nice picture of the job prospects, but i gather it would be good to hear it from the others outside the school.

I thought that might complement my marketing degree if I'm on the sales side. But I'm not able to get salary figures for that. Only source I have is http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/primary-industry/horticulture.

Any thoughts about it? If I'm not able to get a Commonwealth place then I'm not gonna do the course and just go grab whatever my singapore education can get me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Horticulture is a big industry but its an industry that requires very little accreditation to practice. Many have gone thru apprenticeship and have a creative eye. Uni of Melbourne however is highly respected institution.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fertilizer is a raising industry.. try to get into plant biochemistry.. or get into agriculture large-scale cultivation of crops.

This means your house/stay will be in rural area rather than urban. You are unlikely to job hop.. but your pay will be high :smile: You will enjoy the sun raise and sunset in a stress free environment

Think about it.. heaps of developing countries and under-developed are trying to be industrialized.. clear lands to make way for factories or highways... soon there will be plenty of supply for bolts & nuts.. but limited agriculture & food .. You will have bright future.. SG will beg you for food supply :smile:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fertilizer is a raising industry.. try to get into plant biochemistry.. or get into agriculture large-scale cultivation of crops.

This means your house/stay will be in rural area rather than urban. You are unlikely to job hop.. but your pay will be high :smile: You will enjoy the sun raise and sunset in a stress free environment

Think about it.. heaps of developing countries and under-developed are trying to be industrialized.. clear lands to make way for factories or highways... soon there will be plenty of supply for bolts & nuts.. but limited agriculture & food .. You will have bright future.. SG will beg you for food supply :smile:

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm...bapok Bob is also a Horticulturalist, although allegedly in "forced" retirement...

tread carefully...

who is Bapok Bob?

Horticulture is a big industry but its an industry that requires very little accreditation to practice. Many have gone thru apprenticeship and have a creative eye. Uni of Melbourne however is highly respected institution.

Hi, I know about horticulture cert but i think that's TAFE. But I think at the master's level should be management. Uni of Melb hasn't replied me and it's been almost a week so wanna ask around here.

I was also thinking along this line. But the Masters for Agribusiness requires a degree in a related field, which I don't have.