• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB CEO should move to smaller housing unit before spewing BS

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The shrinking size of public flats here has not lowered Singaporeans' quality of living, according to Housing and Development Board's (HDB) CEO Cheong Koon Hean.Suntec Chesterton International head of research and consultancy Colin Tan disagreed with the suggestion that the smaller flat sizes have not compromised the quality of living.

Mr Tan pointed out that today's modern family needs "at least" a three-bedroom flat with one room for the domestic help or the in-laws.

- http://www.todayonline.com/Singapor...ats-have-not-lowered-quality-of-life--HDB-CEO

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did I catch the HDB CEO cheating/lying with statistics?

Quote:
For example, a five-room flat in Bukit Batok Central built in 1989 has a floor area of 121 square metres, compared to 110 square metres for a similar unit built in 2003.

Based on official surveys, the average household size was 3.5 in 2010, and 4.9 in 1980.

This means an occupant in a 110 square metre five-room flat today will have 31 square metres of space, while a resident in a 121 square metres five-room flat in the 80s had only about 25 square metres of space.

Unquote.

Why use Bukit Batok Central's data of 1989 and 2003 [time span of 13 years] when the official survey average household size data is based on a 20 years time span of 1980 and 2010?

Surely HDB built flats of all room sizes in 1980 and 2010. Need not be the same area.
p/s are Bukit Batok flats bigger to encourage people to shift there?

Surely the difference is much more glaring when one compare data of the same 20 years period.

Is she blatantly bullshxting away and hope to get away with it? If so, she is really a cheat!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1164517/1/.html

Smaller flats do not mean lower quality of living: HDB CEO
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 10 November 2011 1356 hrs

SINGAPORE: Public flats in Singapore may be getting smaller but this has not lowered quality of living, says Housing and Development Board's (HDB) CEO, Dr Cheong Koon Hean.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a housing forum on Thursday morning, Dr Cheong noted that there were now fewer persons living in one flat which works out to increased living space per person.

"Our families are smaller. In the old days, we have very large families living in a flat. Today, the family is two, three, four (people)."

The size of HDB flats has shrunk by five to 10 per cent over the last 20 to 30 years.

For example, a five-room flat in Bukit Batok Central built in 1989 has a floor area of 121 square metres, compared to 110 square metres for a similar unit built in 2003.

Based on official surveys, the average household size was 3.5 in 2010, and 4.9 in 1980.

This means an occupant in a 110 square metre five-room flat today will have 31 square metres of space, while a resident in a 121 square metres five-room flat in the 80s had only about 25 square metres of space.

Dr Cheong added that interior design also plays a part in creating good living space.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KNN this stupid comment. In 2003 110sqm now new built only 103sqm.
So should be 103sqm/3.5person. Not 110sqm/3.5 please tell the fucker CEO.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think people are furious because the way she manipulated or contrived the logic. It like saying that your trouser length no doubt is short but it helps to air the ankles. Factually right.

It shows how desperate she is to gain credit.

People will only complain house too small, never complain house too big.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remembered many years back they announced not building smaller flats anymore......that is why certain new towns then like Pasir Ris does not have 3 room flats at all........then a few years back they did u turn and now even buidling 2 room flats and 'studios' for the elderly.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remembered many years back they announced not building smaller flats anymore......that is why certain new towns then like Pasir Ris does not have 3 room flats at all........then a few years back they did u turn and now even buidling 2 room flats and 'studios' for the elderly.

Gov always U turn. So never believe what gov said. Even LKY also U-turn on 2 child/family.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think people are furious because the way she manipulated or contrived the logic. It like saying that your trouser length no doubt is short but it helps to air the ankles. Factually right.

The point still remains, that, Younger generation want to live better and more comfortably than the previous. Isn't this what progress is supposed to bring about?

jw5

Loyal
neddy

The 3 rules in your signature should send to Vivian B. He needs the adviCe. :o

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next time we will be told that smaller hdb easier to clean, leaves one with more time and energy for family, therefore quality of life :biggrin: improves.

The point still remains, that, Younger generation want to live better and more comfortably than the previous. Isn't this what progress is supposed to bring about?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Next time we will be told that smaller hdb easier to clean, leaves one with more time and energy for family, therefore quality of life :biggrin: improves.

Should tell the HDB chief, smaller flat means family are living closer to each other. She will be very happy.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

60% of the electorate think we should be grateful to the tailors charging exorbitant prices for ill-fitting trousers given that many in this world don't even have trousers to wear.

virtualchick

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is true that compared to forty years ago, people are living better now. However people's expectations have changed too. If they can afford, they would prefer a room to themselves even living within the same family.

Currently the most common configuration is the four room and five room HDB. However the five room HDB often still have three bedrooms, with an additional space that could become an additional study room. However depending on the layout sometimes it is not possible to create an additional room.

What I would like, if I can afford, is a five room HDB with four bedrooms. This way I get the space I need, in terms of the bedrooms needed, without having to fork out an additional $100k to purchase a maisonette. This doesn't have to be a novel concept, but more attention needs to be paid to the layout so that four bedrooms can be created if needed. This adds value without creating additional space requirements.

It doesn't have to be big, even a small room to myself is better than a shared room with my sister. Even if an extra room is not needed for a bedroom, it is always appreciated as a study room or a gym room, with perhaps a sofa bed for guests. Some 3 rm HDB with 2 bedrooms have now been upgraded with an extension in the kitchen that functions as a storeroom or a yard, but can often be converted into a tiny room that can accomodate a single bed for the maid, or the person who so wishes to use it as a personal room.

So ideally, for a family with the two parents and two children, and possibly a maid, or grandparents living with them, would ideally like to have four bedrooms, one for the couple, two for the children, one for the maid and/or grandparents.

At the same time, there are many more singles now contributing to the economy and often they would prefer a smaller apartment. There are also elderly who would prefer to live on their own, and don't want a big apartment that they would have to pay for and maintain. So there is a need for studio and two bedroom apartments, to fit different budgets and needs.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
since Ho Jinx grabbed power, so many mediocre pussies took top jobs............ why???

hi there

1. bro, simple mah!
2. such woman specimen are easily "controlled" and manipulated by its grand masters.
3. may not ask too much questions too as long as being fed well, just follow instructions!
4. plus, no good-looking gals would take up such things.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahaha.

Using such logic and calculations, soon my parent's 3-room pigeonhole will become 5-room. No wonder, it is reported 15 percent of Sinkie are millionaires.

Huat Ah!

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
People can live in smaller HDB flats, it is whether they choose to.

( or was it something like that? ) :o