• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

George Yeo: Why I left politics

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
A little over a year since he was defeated in the landmark election, former foreign affairs minister George Yeo has explained why he decided to turn his back on politics.

Mr Yeo, who is now the chairman of Kerry Logistics, a unit of Hong Kong-based Kerry Properties, told the South China Morning Post in an interview published on Saturday that the circumstances of the loss convinced him to try out something new.
He said: “I was in politics for 23 years until I lost in the last election. The opposition leader who beat me, when he was interviewed, said: ‘We won not because my opponents [meaning me and my team] did not do a good job, but because people wanted us in Parliament.’

“I thought if there was not something that I could change, because it was not something about me, maybe it was time to open a new chapter of my life.”

The strength both the PAP team and the Worker’s Party team in Aljunied was frequently voiced in the lead up to the polls. WP had fielded its strongest team there against a PAP team led by two ministers.

Two weeks after the victory, WP chief Low Thia Khiang said “I believe the result represents the wishes and aspirations of Singaporeans for Singapore. In everything that you do, including elections, there’s always a trade-off.”

Mr Yeo had joined the Kerry Group, run by Malaysian “sugar king” Robert Kuok on Jan 1 this year. It marked a complete exit from politics after 23 years in office.

Asked whether he preferred his business role to his political one, Mr Yeo said that he was surprised to find that he is just as busy now as when he was a minister and an MP.

He said: “I am still as busy [as before], which is a bit surprising. In addition to
a ministry, I was also a member of Parliament. In politics, you deal with all kinds of everyday concerns of citizens.

“One day, I was travelling in Europe on some mission; one of my constituents called me, saying: ‘My neighbour's dog is barking all night, driving me mad. Can you do something about that?’ As a Member of Parliament, you cannot say, "I am too busy for you". You are representing them, and you have got to look after your constituents. It is a big part of your time.

“In the private sector, you are more focused on doing things that are more connected with business. Objectives are more focused. In terms of intellectual [content], they are actually the same, as you are dealing with the same reality - you are working with people.”

When the topic of conversation moved to the matter of logistics, Mr Yeo shared a personal story about an early experience with logistics:
“One of my most memorable [brushes with logistics] is when my younger son had leukaemia and needed a bone marrow transplant at St Jude [Children's Research] Hospital in Memphis. I got FedEx to help me.

There is a direct flight from Taiwan to Memphis every day, but the doctor could not be on the flight. So he flew Singapore Airlines to Los Angeles. FedEx put him on a corporate jet [with the bone marrow] from LA to Memphis for me. After that, my wife has been very loyal to FedEx.”​

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Georgie, you left not by your own volition, but rather because you got knocked the fuck out of Aljunied GRC.

If you had really intended to quit politics, why did you still stand for elections and campaign in GE2011?

Do you honestly think we are stupid?

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Georgie, you left not by your own volition, but rather because you got knocked the fuck out of Aljunied GRC.

If you had really intended to quit politics, why did you still stand for elections and campaign in GE2011?

Do you honestly think we are stupid?

You know, defeat can be a cathartic experience, esp when you are arrayed with the PAP Goliath. It's like near death experience, you see the light.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bloody bollocks, you WERE SACKED FROM POLITICS, AND YOU LEFT IN SHAMBLES, YOU RAMBLING twisting piece of flyblown piece of rubbish!!!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
“One day, I was travelling in Europe on some mission; one of my constituents called me, saying: ‘My neighbour's dog is barking all night, driving me mad. Can you do something about that?’ As a Member of Parliament, you cannot say, "I am too busy for you". You are representing them, and you have got to look after your constituents. It is a big part of your time.

Neighbour's dog barking also MP's pasah? What a mollycoddled bunch of morons sinkies are! You pay a straight-A student, double degree, master and doctorate multi-million dollar stipends to babysit the electorate and mediate petty resident squabbles? Only in Peasantpore!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
A little over a year since he was defeated in the landmark election, former foreign affairs minister George Yeo has explained why he decided to turn his back on politics.

Mr Yeo, who is now the chairman of Kerry Logistics, a unit of Hong Kong-based Kerry Properties, told the South China Morning Post in an interview published on Saturday that the circumstances of the loss convinced him to try out something new.
He said: “I was in politics for 23 years until I lost in the last election. The opposition leader who beat me, when he was interviewed, said: ‘We won not because my opponents [meaning me and my team] did not do a good job, but because people wanted us in Parliament.’

“I thought if there was not something that I could change, because it was not something about me, maybe it was time to open a new chapter of my life.”

The strength both the PAP team and the Worker’s Party team in Aljunied was frequently voiced in the lead up to the polls. WP had fielded its strongest team there against a PAP team led by two ministers.

Two weeks after the victory, WP chief Low Thia Khiang said “I believe the result represents the wishes and aspirations of Singaporeans for Singapore. In everything that you do, including elections, there’s always a trade-off.”

Mr Yeo had joined the Kerry Group, run by Malaysian “sugar king” Robert Kuok on Jan 1 this year. It marked a complete exit from politics after 23 years in office.

Asked whether he preferred his business role to his political one, Mr Yeo said that he was surprised to find that he is just as busy now as when he was a minister and an MP.

He said: “I am still as busy [as before], which is a bit surprising. In addition to
a ministry, I was also a member of Parliament. In politics, you deal with all kinds of everyday concerns of citizens.

“In the private sector, you are more focused on doing things that are more connected with business. Objectives are more focused. In terms of intellectual [content], they are actually the same, as you are dealing with the same reality - you are working with people.”

When the topic of conversation moved to the matter of logistics, Mr Yeo shared a personal story about an early experience with logistics:
“One of my most memorable [brushes with logistics] is when my younger son had leukaemia and needed a bone marrow transplant at St Jude [Children's Research] Hospital in Memphis. I got FedEx to help me.

There is a direct flight from Taiwan to Memphis every day, but the doctor could not be on the flight. So he flew Singapore Airlines to Los Angeles. FedEx put him on a corporate jet [with the bone marrow] from LA to Memphis for me. After that, my wife has been very loyal to FedEx.”​

Common George, be honest with us and most importantly with yourself. U left because u re-discovered your conscience.​

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
George Yeo didnt leave. He was defeated

Dr Chee was defeated but remained in politics.

GY was not cut out to be politician. He was defeated and left because no more high paid political post. Member of B-G. :biggrin:

http://www.talkingcock.com/html/games/bgdance.html

marqlg.gif

Last edited:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is the typical loser that PAP keeps recruiting - lose, quit. Look at the rest of his GRC team. With the exception of Lim Hwee Hua, the rest landed in GLC etc.

Ong Ye Kung - one time lose, quit.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least he knows when he is rejected and did not stick around aiming for a another bite of the cherry like alot of the thick skinned MIWs fucktards.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

He is being honest to say that. And after serving 23 years and majority as minister we wonder, whether, he had during his term try to change something within the party for the people?

It has pretty much dawn on us that PAP has a lot of people like him, unable to change anything or self serving. Sigh!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What he did not say is it was difficult working under the PAP banner.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neighbour's dog barking also MP's pasah? What a mollycoddled bunch of morons sinkies are! You pay a straight-A student, double degree, master and doctorate multi-million dollar stipends to babysit the electorate and mediate petty resident squabbles? Only in Peasantpore!
you believe the resident got direct line to him? below him got levels and levels of paul lampards crasslooters....

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What he did not say is it was difficult working the PAP banner.

if GY was truly a good leader he would not have allowed the pap to do what it is doing to singaporeans. the fact that he was part of the scam for 23 years shows that he deserved to be defeated.

I am looking forward to the defeat of LSS, GCT, LHL

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tracy,

He was not just defeated. He was trashed, then he QUIT, then he tiptoed out like a coward and a loser!!!

I remembered he was teary-eyed when he gave his little speech in front of his supporters after results were announced. It came across quite clearly that he was in a state of shock! Therefore he was roundly defeated and rejected despite all the advantages of being the incumbent and heavyweight Minister. Everyone knows that if it was otherwise, he'll still be around in politics; perhaps PM-in-waiting.:rolleyes: