• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gardens By The Bay

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
to me...world class projects are Great Wall of China, Egyptian Pyramid, Garden of Babylon, Taj Mahal, etc..GBTB is just abt trees and flowers...nothing fantastic

yes, i totally agreed. we mini country, so mini must display the unique...like tallest Green House in the world...F1 at night...Night Safari. we cannot compete with the UNESCO world's heritage sites, so we can only create...but the money involved is mind-boggling...how about more money for the seniors and welfare cases?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, i totally agreed. we mini country, so mini must display the unique...like tallest Green House in the world...F1 at night...Night Safari. we cannot compete with the UNESCO world's heritage sites, so we can only create...but the money involved is mind-boggling...how about more money for the seniors and welfare cases?

every project must have cost-benefit analysis.

do you think it's worth paying $1B for GBTB and $53m per year for maintenance, bearing in mind that this maintenance cost will escalate...could this $1B and $53m per year now be better used to improve the lives of poor and eldely singaporeans ?

how abt the prime land?

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
every project must have cost-benefit analysis.

do you think it's worth paying $1B for GBTB and $53m per year for maintenance, bearing in mind that this maintenance cost will escalate...could this $1B and $53m per year now be better used to improve the lives of poor and eldely singaporeans ?

how abt the prime land?

once again, i totally agreed. the money could be used for other areas. but this GBTB was conceived and nobody protested in the planning stages. the green light was given and now it has come to fruition....money spent liao. so how? time to collect money.:smile:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok, thanks tracey.
btw i agree with you on the cost. and I have never been and don't intend to go.

Bro you should visit at least once and who knows then maybe you will revise your opinion on the costs!:biggrin: .Since Tracey is inviting opinions, I'll give it my 2 cents worth. I went there for the first time 2 weeks ago and most probably for the last time! The Flower Dome is nice on first impressions because of the sheer colour and variety but then it is not some place that I'll revisit. I remember stumbling upon the Sentosa Flower Festival many years ago and to my simple mind, it looked and smelled the same. However the Cloud Forest is something unique here. Water mist, cuscading water curtains, bird's eye views etc provided a different spectacle and experience for me. Having said all these,I'll agree that the price tag of $1 billion is over the top! In future, I'll just stroll in the Botanic Gardens or some other neighbourhood parks.:biggrin:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
once again, i totally agreed. the money could be used for other areas. but this GBTB was conceived and nobody protested in the planning stages. the green light was given and now it has come to fruition....money spent liao. so how? time to collect money.:smile:

cld you or I have protested? what do we know at the planning stage? what information were revealed?

the pap has been voted in and when they approve a project they are answerable to Singaporeans. They dont have to consult everyone ..

but it doesnt mean that if they mishandled any project or ill conceive any project they can turn round and say there were no objections,,that's not valid reason for them to misgovern

jw5

Loyal
Bro you should visit at least once and who knows then maybe you will revise your opinion on the costs!:biggrin: .Since Tracey is inviting opinions, I'll give it my 2 cents worth. I went there for the first time 2 weeks ago and most probably for the last time! The Flower Dome is nice on first impressions because of the sheer colour and variety but then it is not some place that I'll revisit. I remember stumbling upon the Sentosa Flower Festival many years ago and to my simple mind, it looked and smelled the same. However the Cloud Forest is something unique here. Water mist, cuscading water curtains, bird's eye views etc provided a different spectacle and experience for me. Having said all these,I'll agree that the price tag of $1 billion is over the top! In future, I'll just stroll in the Botanic Gardens or some other neighbourhood parks.:biggrin:

Bro, you just convinced me NOT to go........................... :biggrin:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

thanks for your views...

that's how i feel too...

the Flower Dome is very ordinary...in fact everything are very ordinary...nothing fantastic to warrant such huge spending

and GBTB costs us $1B and $53m for year maintenance...i foresee that it will be losing money...just like the SG Flyer

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if we think that it was not worth $1B...we shd question how come so much money to pay for such simple things

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
its a good place for family outings, better than Marina Barrage, or Botanic Garden. I didnt spend $$$ for the 2 domes, but for a short stroll and after that eating at the restaurant, its quite a decent place.

So did you go with family like you said?

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
makapaaa's thread on the same subject got 15 responses in 14 hours, tracy's got 77 in 2 hours

Wah! Power la, tracy