• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australian tourist finds Singaporeans rude, declares he will never visit again

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

My actual hell': Australian tourist finds Singaporeans rude, declares he will never visit again​

'My actual hell': Australian tourist finds Singaporeans rude, declares he will never visit again

PHOTO: Screengrab/TikTok/MattinSydney
PUBLISHED ONFEBRUARY 02, 2024 3:38 PM
ByASHWINI BALAN

What's one country that you will never visit again?

For one man from Sydney, it is Singapore.

The Aussie traveller, Matthew, who didn't want to give his surname, shared his "unpopular opinion" on TikTok on Monday (Jan 29) that Singapore is the one country that he will never want to return to.

Having travelled to 50 countries so far, the 32-year-old consultant said that Singapore is his "actual hell".

"I have been there twice and I have the same experience consistently while I was there," Matthew said.

Matthew told AsiaOne that he visited the little red dot in 2014 and 2022.

'An absolute concrete jungle'​

In a three-minute clip, Matthew cited four reasons why he wasn't impressed during his stay in Singapore.

"Number one, it is an absolute concrete jungle," Matthew said in his video.

Hailing from Australia's second largest city Sydney, Matthew likens it to Singapore.

"Tall high-rises, cuisine is good, cars everywhere, it's busy, it's loud, I just don't see it as something fascinating," he explained.

However, Matthew mentioned a few places in Singapore that he liked, such as his stay in Marina Bay Sands and the view of the Gardens by the Bay.

"But that was sort of it. I just think holistically, there are nicer places to go," he added.

'What is the Singapore culture?'​

Despite visiting Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street and even the Singapore Botanic Gardens, Matthew told AsiaOne that "Singapore is very much a western city with no obvious difference from Sydney".

As a traveller who seeks out unique cultural experiences, Matthew said he didn't find them in Singapore.

"For example, if you go to China, there are very obvious Chinese culture references everywhere you look," Matthew told AsiaOne.

He shared that when he explored other parts of Asia such as Thailand, Japan, and the Philippines, he could identify the cultural aspects that shaped their countries.

"But if someone asked me what is Singapore culture, I would have no idea," Matthew told AsiaOne.

'Singaporeans are cold and unfriendly'​

Apart from culture, Matthew also felt that Singaporeans are rude.

"In my experience, I just don't think the people there were nice and they were so blunt about it," Matthew said in the video.

Matthew mentioned that he was denied entry twice at two different bars in Chinatown as he was told that it was "only for locals".

Matthew told AsiaOne that he could not remember the names of the two bars.

"I just went there by myself and was told it was for locals only. Not aggressively but in a way that wasn't up for discussion. It wasn't bad, I just thought it was weird," he told AsiaOne.

Matthew added that he found Singaporeans to be cold and unfriendly compared to Australians.

"Felt like if I tried to talk to them, I didn't even get a smile back or a head nod. They just passively look away," he told AsiaOne.

'No souvenirs or trinkets'​

Last but not least, Matthew mentioned that he was disappointed when he couldn't find any trinkets in Singapore.

"I love trinkets, but there were no souvenirs or trinkets there," Matthew complained after settling for a Merlion snow globe instead.

At the end of the video, Matthew mentioned that he might return for a 24-hour stopover to re-explore the city.

"I will definitely give it a chance," he added.

Garnering 12,500 views and 138 comments, Matthew's video drew mixed responses from netizens.

There were some who disagreed with Matthew's review of Singapore with a user even commenting: "If you are complaining about Singapore, that tells me you are a tourist not a traveller."

New%20Project_81.png
While others agreed with his opinion that some Singaporeans can be rude.

New%20Project%20%281%29_72.png
Many also gave him suggestions on where he can explore when he returns to Singapore.

New%20Project%20%282%29_49.png
As netizens flooded the comments section, Matthew shared with AsiaOne that he was not surprised by some of the responses.

"I'm not surprised as people usually love Singapore. There's nothing wrong with Singapore, I'm just saying that there are a lot of other places to go to that would be better," he concluded.

lostvirgin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear, he didn't approach one of our very helpful SPGs? They are the ambassadors of Singapore..

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Sg is a soul-less country, a haven for the world's wealthiest. An over-crowded, foreigner infested shithole.

But fuck that aussie for calling my country an "actual hell". He's not entitled to say that, no one forced him to be here. Hell is only for those who are forced to stay in a place they don't want to be at.

lostvirgin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sg is a soul-less country, a haven for the world's wealthiest. An over-crowded, foreigner infested shithole.

But fuck that aussie for calling my country an "actual hell". He's not entitled to say that, no one forced him to be here. Hell is only for those who are forced to stay in a place they don't want to be at.
Oh dear, I suspect he bumped into Ginfreely during his trip here.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
One less scum in Sinkieland. No loss. He complained that Sinkies are cold and unfriendly. Ask him to come to Sammyboy forum and we'll show him what true coldness and unfriendliness means.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that every rude “Singaporean” he encountered is actually not a true Singaporean.

33% of population in Singapore are rude foreigners esp CECA bastards.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many foreigners working in Singapore, majority of them are malaysian chinese so it is difficult for tourist to know who is rude to them.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He mentioned "Singaporeans" are rude and cold. Can he actuallly identify who he met was actually Singaporeans, or "new citizens" or "foreigners"? As a local, I get confused too since 2/3 of our islands comprised of foreigners and 1/2 comprised PR and god knows how many newly minited Sinkies.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
He mentioned "Singaporeans" are rude and cold. Can he actuallly identify who he met was actually Singaporeans, or "new citizens" or "foreigners"? As a local, I get confused too since 2/3 of our islands comprised of foreigners and 1/2 comprised PR and god knows how many newly minited Sinkies.
No need to look for an excuse. Just go to any hawker centre and you can see how the low class coolie gene from hdb behave.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it’s a blessing in sg to encounter any unker who is “rude”, quiet, and “cold”. if unker is articulated and hot with non-stop “knnbccb” it means chairs will fly and bottles will break.