• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fresh water fish or Sea water fish? whats your fav?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Like many of you, I would not go out of my way to buy a fresh water fish and since I usually have the say in the house on what to eat, this means fresh water fish is rarely on the menu. That change, however, when I lived in China,and now in Cambodia.

Just last Saturday I was invited to go to a fishing pond in Phnom Penh, my interest was stirred when they mentioned trey prai (patin) is available there. Unlike Malaysia, patin is a relatively cheap fish here, at USD2.00 a kg. Usually have it steamed in soy sauce and a little sugar and garnished with spring onions and chilli, the alternative is steamed with salted veggie, Teochew style.
The pond charges $1 for a rod, and then another $3 for a kg of fish. Not too expensive to while away a few hours drinking beer.
Unfortunately, we didn't catch any patin but landed with maybe 10 or so tilapias, each between 500 to 700gm and another 6 good sized carps, maybe 2 kgs. I am not such a big fan of carps, too much Y-shaped bones which makes them a hassle to eat although I like the steamed carp heads at Sek Wai Sin along Geylang Rd.

Here's 2 of the pics:

DSCF0456.jpg

DSCF0459-1.jpg

Wah, this pic and set up reminds me of my days at the Tampines Fishing pond.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
At the risk of making myself Greenpeace lumber 1 public enemy due to my many attempts to endanger entire species of fish, my fave list are:

1) Fugu - steam. yum yum, so sweet and tender is the meat.
2) Chilean sea bass/black cod - fried in butter.
3) Soon Hock- steamed with the soya sauce, and green onion garnish
4) Rock cod - done the same way as soon hock
5) Salmon, sockeye - smoked
or made into lox to be eaten with cream cheese on an onion bagel (fuck I am drooling just thinking about this one)
6) Other types of salmon - raw, sashimi style
7) Tuna - done hawaiian poke style with soya sauce, spices and raw
8) Shark, Thrasher - boiled, and served on a bed of salad greens
9) halibut - done fish and chips style
10) Last but not least, Sailfish can be swordfish or other types of sailfish - fried or broil in a thick cut like cooking a steak. The meat is so firm and the texture is so unlike anything I have had. yummy.

No tilapia for me, that fish tastes like shit to me.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the risk of making myself Greenpeace lumber 1 public enemy due to my many attempts to endanger entire species of fish, my fave list are:

1) Fugu - steam. yum yum, so sweet and tender is the meat.
2) Chilean sea bass/black cod - fried in butter.
3) Soon Hock- steamed with the soya sauce, and green onion garnish
4) Rock cod - done the same way as soon hock
5) Salmon, sockeye - smoked
or made into lox to be eaten with cream cheese on an onion bagel (fuck I am drooling just thinking about this one)
6) Other types of salmon - raw, sashimi style
7) Tuna - done hawaiian poke style with soya sauce, spices and raw
8) Shark, Thrasher - boiled, and served on a bed of salad greens
9) halibut - done fish and chips style
10) Last but not least, Sailfish can be swordfish or other types of sailfish - fried or broil in a thick cut like cooking a steak. The meat is so firm and the texture is so unlike anything I have had. yummy.

No tilapia for me, that fish tastes like shit to me.

Grouper Family. In every Ocean, every Sea (tropical), there are several varieties of Grouper. Got Red Grouper, Black Grouper, Brown Grouper, Coral Trout, etc. One or two of these will knock your socks off, with their extreme outstanding flavour. Of course, environment plays a part, too. Certain Areas of Ocean got special types of Marine Growth: coral, algae, phytoplankton, etc. These will affect the taste of the Grouper. The Grouper does not actually eat these Junk, but the shrimps, fish fry, do. And the Grouper will eat up these small shrimps, fish fry.

I have had one or two outstanding Grouper from outstanding Environment. Mostly, it happens while I'm Traveling overseas. The flavour was so outstanding, I was totally overcome. You just have to get lucky, to be in the right place at the right time, and then the fisherman pulls up the right fish, delivers it to the restaurant you happen to be dining in.

To emphasize the fact that you have to get lucky, There was one time, on a Cruise Ship I happened to be on, the crew managed to catch a Skipjack Tuna(something like a Bonito), and they grilled it and basted it with Teriyaki sauce. Now, Skipjack is a cheap fish, right? But the way the guys cooked it, I and my family cleaned every scrap of skin and flesh off the poor Skippy's bones!

But generally speaking, Marine is better than Freshwater. The taste just got more "Oooomph!!!!" Except steelhead trout and salmon, those are not bad, but they also spend part of their life in the Sea.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Might as well just buy a bowl of sliced fish soup and rice and enjoy.
Btw there's a quite good Teochew fish soup stall in that hawker centre as well, and they also sell the shark's meat with jelly and have the bony fish hanging up. :p
Ehh... mana?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Nobody eats the whole damn thing lah, its the fillets that are edible. You will find two long fillets once u skinned the fish, the bone is in the middle. It is not the most appealing of fishes, but the most tender of them all

Fishing_flounder.jpg

Anyone tried Flounder? or Halibut? the flat fish, 1 side dark, 1 side white with 2 eyes on 1 side? how does it taste like?

Seen this fish lots of time but it looks damn grostesque to me. But listened to you guys just came back from wet market with a 800g fish pretty big. Got the seller to debone it and took home the two sides only the rest gave it to them. The darker side seems to have more meat than the white colour side. Cost is 100 baht per kilo so this fish is around S$3.40. I think will deep fry with powder for the darker side and steam for the white side.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seen this fish lots of time but it looks damn grostesque to me. But listened to you guys just came back from wet market with a 800g fish pretty big. Got the seller to debone it and took home the two sides only the rest gave it to them. The darker side seems to have more meat than the white colour side. Cost is 100 baht per kilo so this fish is around S$3.40. I think will deep fry with powder for the darker side and steam for the white side.

dun deep fry it bro, pan fry it as the meat is quite succulent. As this fish does not have much taste, suggest u eat it for the texture of the meat first to really savour it. :biggrin:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun deep fry it bro, pan fry it as the meat is quite succulent. As this fish does not have much taste, suggest u eat it for the texture of the meat first to really savour it. :biggrin:
I think joetsy bought is a flounder, joetsy let me know if its nice, LOL