• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fresh water fish or Sea water fish? whats your fav?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deep sea cod is the best for me. Some days available from NTUC or Cold Storage, but seasonal, not everyday. Usually not filleted but diced. Easy to fry and top off with a pack of black pepper gravy. Cost about $15 for 3 pax DIY (including the pack of black pepper gravy). Eat that in a decent restaurant and don't be surprised with a $50 bill.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deep sea cod is the best for me. Some days available from NTUC or Cold Storage, but seasonal, not everyday. Usually not filleted but diced. Easy to fry and top off with a pack of black pepper gravy. Cost about $15 for 3 pax DIY (including the pack of black pepper gravy). Eat that in a decent restaurant and don't be surprised with a $50 bill.
Cb, you damn atas sia.....

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cb, you damn atas sia.....

Ang moh kia like that one. Sipei hao lian one. He always say this Chinese dish no good that Chinese dish no good KNN

I call him ang moh kiah very courteous liao. Others call him chap cheng kia LOL

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sea fish better.
Fresh fish have muddy taste those rear one. Those in river don 't have m&d taste or smell.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like many of you, I would not go out of my way to buy a fresh water fish and since I usually have the say in the house on what to eat, this means fresh water fish is rarely on the menu. That change, however, when I lived in China,and now in Cambodia.

Just last Saturday I was invited to go to a fishing pond in Phnom Penh, my interest was stirred when they mentioned trey prai (patin) is available there. Unlike Malaysia, patin is a relatively cheap fish here, at USD2.00 a kg. Usually have it steamed in soy sauce and a little sugar and garnished with spring onions and chilli, the alternative is steamed with salted veggie, Teochew style.
The pond charges $1 for a rod, and then another $3 for a kg of fish. Not too expensive to while away a few hours drinking beer.
Unfortunately, we didn't catch any patin but landed with maybe 10 or so tilapias, each between 500 to 700gm and another 6 good sized carps, maybe 2 kgs. I am not such a big fan of carps, too much Y-shaped bones which makes them a hassle to eat although I like the steamed carp heads at Sek Wai Sin along Geylang Rd.

Here's 2 of the pics:

DSCF0456.jpg

DSCF0459-1.jpg

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sea fish better.
Fresh fish have muddy taste those rear one. Those in river don 't have m&d taste or smell.
Fresh water fish muddy taste can get rid off 1, normally these kind of fish are raised in a pond, once they are caught, they have to be put in a clear water tank and be fed to cleanse their stomach for a few days before sending to the restaurants.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm a big fan of Patin fish, love to eat their fats, lol, Never eat carp before, but thanks for sharing Faidenk :smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fresh water fish muddy taste can get rid off 1, normally these kind of fish are raised in a pond, once they are caught, they have to be put in a clear water tank and be fed to cleanse their stomach for a few days before sending to the restaurants.

Those fish rear in pond is more like jelly if steam taste really bad only can cook curry/deep fried . Meat not so firm.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng says, "fresh water fish or sea water fish, nice to eat is good fish. sounds familiar?":biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remembered going for an offshore job near Batam 6 years back... The crew in my working vessel who were Thai nationals, caught this fat puffer fish with their hand held fishing reel.. That night they cleaned the puffer fish thoroughly, then they cooked it using some of their home made spices... My Chief Officer tried to warn them to be careful of eating the fish but they say they are used to eating them... They offered me some but I politely declined... They ate the cooked puffer fish with rice and downed it with their rice wine.. They said that puffer fish meal meal is great.. And funny enough nothing happens to them after eating the fish..