• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fresh water fish or Sea water fish? whats your fav?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fishing_flounder.jpg

Anyone tried Flounder? or Halibut? the flat fish, 1 side dark, 1 side white with 2 eyes on 1 side? how does it taste like?

pretty tasteless, but the meat is very very tender. dip it in some self raising flouring and pan fry it, it will still be very tender after the frying

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pretty tasteless, but the meat is very very tender. dip it in some self raising flouring and pan fry it, it will still be very tender after the frying
Sui, next time i go buy from wet market, always saw it, but dun dare to buy, hahahaa...

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go supermarket. Clean and aircon. What for go wet market? Wet, stuffy slippery and dirty.
I prefer wet market, cox supermarket meat/fish are pack in the plastic foam, i can smell it even when the meat are cook, i dun like it at all, LOL

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sui, next time i go buy from wet market, always saw it, but dun dare to buy, hahahaa...

i prepared this the following way, i carefully cut under the skin and then fillet it. Best done with a very sharp knife and steady hands. The skin is kind of leathery and not slimy so easy to hold with.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i prepared this the following way, i carefully cut under the skin and then fillet it. Best done with a very sharp knife and steady hands. The skin is kind of leathery and not slimy so easy to hold with.
Skin can eat or not? leathery sounds tough, LOL

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Skin can eat or not? leathery sounds tough, LOL

Nobody eats the whole damn thing lah, its the fillets that are edible. You will find two long fillets once u skinned the fish, the bone is in the middle. It is not the most appealing of fishes, but the most tender of them all

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I prefer wet market, cox supermarket meat/fish are pack in the plastic foam, i can smell it even when the meat are cook, i dun like it at all, LOL

Styrofoam packaging is for seafood more than one day freshness and cut. You can buy whole fresh fish in supermarkets nowadays. Of course, not as big as whole shark or tuna. In any case, the highest class fish sashimi grade from Isetan are still styrofoam packaged. These on a per gram basis are more expensive than most fresh whole fish.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Styrofoam packaging is for seafood more than one day freshness and cut. You can buy whole fresh fish in supermarkets nowadays. Of course, not as big as whole shark or tuna. In any case, the highest class fish sashimi grade from Isetan are still styrofoam packaged. These on a per gram basis are more expensive than most fresh whole fish.

the only fish i buy from isetan is the otoro...yum yum...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually one of the disappointed fish is the fugu...tried the sashimi...risk my life, KNN...tough to chew and quite bland...like leather.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kaoz, you dun talk about sashimi lah, I meant normal fish lah, wah piangz...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Alaska Halibut is very nice. The meat is dense, firm and a clean taste. Needs only very little seasoning when cooking.

Fishing_flounder.jpg

Anyone tried Flounder? or Halibut? the flat fish, 1 side dark, 1 side white with 2 eyes on 1 side? how does it taste like?

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah piangz... ok lah, related with the topic, but didnt expect mentioning sashimi, whahhaha.

On the subject of sashimi, the Piermont fish market in Sydney, displays and sells a whole tuna on at bed of ice every Sunday, any part you want. Aficionados go there very early in the morning, myself included, go there to buy the best part, toro of course. Those days, the natives don't know how to appreciate sashimi yet, so the bulk of customers are mainly Asians and Japanese students. Dirt cheap, like A$15 a kg for any part of the tuna. Once, instead of tuna, they have on sale a whole moonfish the size of a big dining table.

moonfish.jpg

Through my Thai gf, I got to know a family of Vietnamese who made good in Sydney. A brother owns a fish shop in Marrickville, whenever he managed to buy a lot of conches, he would organize a party for friends. Lots of Viet food, and of course raw sliced conch dipped in fish sauce with cilantro. Awesome. Non family members would just bring a case of VB or 4X. Only pussies drink Fosters, haha.

conch.jpg

Back to snakehead. The fish actually taste quite bland, although the flesh is white and firm. I normally season it first with a generous helping of salt for about half hour, then wash off the excess salt before deskinning and slicing. The skin is pat dry then placed flat on a non-stick frying pan over a very low fire. The skin tends to curl on contact with heat so for the first 10 minutes or so you have to use something to hold all sides down. I use 2 patulas. Once the skin dry up it stays that way, flat. After about 20 minutes, you get to eat one of the best tasting fish crackling. Very tasty and crispy.

jw5

Loyal
Too many stalls selling the head at Chinatown hawker centre, i dun find it nice at all, steamed with black beans...... I rather they cook curry with it :biggrin:

Yeah, and for $13+ and plenty of bones, it's not worth it.
Spend most of your time sorting through the bones than enjoying the fish meat.
Might as well just buy a bowl of sliced fish soup and rice and enjoy.
Btw there's a quite good Teochew fish soup stall in that hawker centre as well, and they also sell the shark's meat with jelly and have the bony fish hanging up. :p

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always aim for Cobias whenever I am fishing at the S.China sea, cut n eat it raw-sashimi style, very tasty...as for smaller Yellowfins, I can only catch it in Sabah/Sarawak waters! Thks to the bros tat upzzzzz my points...