• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Desmond Kuek - Leadership Failure

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why I have been saying systemic failure. Before still can barely recover. Now we need to go through the shit phase.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
On page 76 of Cheong Yip Seng's book OB MARKERS, he wrote:

"I was not surprised later when I heard Dr Goh's (Keng Swee) experience with MINDEF scholars. He had the pick of every cohort. Many of them did not make the cut, he told me. They did not have other qualities needed to succeed, like the the ability to lead people."
Philip yeo was one of Goh KS fav. See where yeo led us into. First was engineering, then bioscience. A bloody mess in everything he steered.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore system severely penalizes Type A personalities, even in the military where it should thrive.
Leegime no like strong type A, except the person in the mirror. Just like china emperors, only eunuchs allowed in the palace.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Desmond Kuek's failure is as you described, WHAT ABOUT YOUR FAILURE in last election?
You are an imbecile Twit of multi mega daft proportions!
Nonsense. He succeeded totally in last GE. He did what the most powerful PAP election machinery could not achieve: election win for MBT.

He demonstrated again in helping TT win the istana.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How did a
- OMS scholar
- schooled in Oxford
- schooled in Harvard
- SAF 6th SAF Defence Chief
- member of elite Admin Service
- Permanent Secretary
- CEO of one of the biggest GLC

Failed to show his face in the midst of the crisis, absolutely no sound or picture, takes the first chance of a showing his face by turning it into a cheap publicity photo opportunity by visiting his staff at the dorm like Mother Theresa and then to end up having a third of his affected staff in detention in a prison. Fucking clueless or scared shitless or both.

How did we end up with such leaders. Even a moron would know when to turn up at a funeral.

Not an ordinary OMS, but an SAFOS

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If someone cannot handle a minor issue, I worry. This guy was chief of the SAF at one time. We all have to worry how the cabinet ended up appointing him as the SAF chief. How did the selection mechanism throw him out as the best candidate. Or is he the best that we got.

Why did anyone tell him about the detention or was he aware and yet did not realise the implications of his action.

Why the Mother Theresa stunt?

If my memory serves me well, I recall that he was first in the Battalion Tactics Course.
May be he did not apply what he learned from the various case studies at Harvard?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this guy gets into parliament TCJ and even Kee Chiu have to salute him
Can you imagine how frustrated he is feeling now? Two of his former subordinates are above him, and TCJ probably made him stand at corner of conference room during the crisis committee meeting.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A better photo opportunity is to have a press conference and acknowledge the internal failure and promise action. He took over in Oct, this occurred in Nov. Though the seed of this disaster was set earlier, the crisis occurred in his watch.

Scroob we all know for long time liao, acknowledgement of any fault is taboo sure jeopardize their salary and even very existence, so don't even expect this to happen.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If someone cannot handle a minor issue, I worry. This guy was chief of the SAF at one time. We all have to worry how the cabinet ended up appointing him as the SAF chief. How did the selection mechanism throw him out as the best candidate. Or is he the best that we got.

Why did anyone tell him about the detention or was he aware and yet did not realise the implications of his action.

Why the Mother Theresa stunt?

With respect, although we have yet to see how the Chief of Defence Force react and lead, command and control, I am unaware of his accomplishments and achievements to deserve being promoted to CDS.

When the MIW recruited the then Chief of Army, MINDEF had to re-activate a BG who was retired (and transferred to a govt dept or affiliated agency??) to be the Chief of Army, and thereafter promoted him to MG.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, he is indeed in charge. Even if someone is appointed 1 day before the crisis occurred, if that person has leadership, he would have stepped up, told the commuters what he plans to do and keep them engaged. This chap was in so many leadership roles and seem lost.

I wonder if he knows who his customers are?

The fact of the matter is this. He's still in charge. Those that were most responsible for the strike have been arrested and life goes on as usual. Pay your increasing fares for bad service staffed by cheap underpaid drivers and let's move on.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was is a massive boo boo. I can understand if a few in each cohort can't lead but this chap rose to become the no. 1 in SAF. This is worse than what GKS seen. It looks like our kids know how to game the system.

On page 76 of Cheong Yip Seng's book OB MARKERS, he wrote:

"I was not surprised later when I heard Dr Goh's (Keng Swee) experience with MINDEF scholars. He had the pick of every cohort. Many of them did not make the cut, he told me. They did not have other qualities needed to succeed, like the the ability to lead people."

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Looks like the management in SMRT is in bad shape and not only the engineering side. How did the PR head end up doing this Mother Theresa stunt. I am sure Desmond Kuek was not visiting flood victims, the homeless after a fire, etc

A better photo opportunity is to have a press conference and acknowledge the internal failure and promise action. He took over in Oct, this occurred in Nov. Though the seed of this disaster was set earlier, the crisis occurred in his watch.

Agree. Total failure and speaks volumes about his leadership ability. Its bloody eggs on the face on SMRT, to have a goondu like him replace Saw P.H. Two poor leaders in one row.

The establish is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel. Perm Sec of MEWR somemore. I shudder to think of the whole civil service filled with useless jiak liao bee chaps like him!

Earth

I agree with you totally... this is epidemic failure of first degree. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Don't be surprise that after the whole saga, 60% will still vote for this crap here. The 60% vote without any clue. The "anything-that-Lee-recommends-must-be-good" mentality still exist.