• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Desmond Kuek - Leadership Failure

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
We still do not know where in the US Desmond was.

It may involve a domestic flight to New York plus 22 hours flight time not taking into consideration the fact that he has to wait for the flight. Realistic best case would be that he would leave New York earliest Monday night our time (i.e. Monday morning New York time) arriving in Singapore Tuesday night Singapore time.

He appeared on the papers on Friday 30 November 2012 which means he was seen in the dormitories on Thursday. That does not mean that he wasn't on the job (or still trying to fly back) on Wednesday.

Or are you suggesting that he charters a flight home? Even then, he would have chartered some Learjet which would not even have been able to do the flight in 22 hours.

All big organisations work with travel coordinators who can get a person back within 24 hrs.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Or are you suggesting that he charters a flight home? Even then, he would have chartered some Learjet which would not even have been able to do the flight in 22 hours.

this is moot as ceo's can be on televised conferences or email communications with hisher staff remotely. unless heshe is in timbuktu or some godforsaken island.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know for a fact that he wasn't in touch with his staff? Or board? More likely than not he would have been on the line answering to the ministers 1/2 the time.

this is moot as ceo's can be on televised conferences or email communications with hisher staff remotely. unless heshe is in timbuktu or some godforsaken island.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you know for a fact that he wasn't in touch with his staff? Or board? More likely than not he would have been on the line answering to the ministers 1/2 the time.

don't wish to speculate without the facts, unlike some here who shoot wildly from the hip or from the comfort of an armchair and a laptop. sinkie ceo's at such a young age will most likely carry an iphone, samsung galaxy or blackberry where ever they are. even on vacation, ceo's are tempted to check their work emails. they would be pinged by staff, and adhoc conference calls would be set up. pretty sure he was in touch with events and folks back home. hawaii is pretty up to speed in the latest communications technology. unless he was in a remote corner of the big island, kauai or maui and stuck with umts and hspa on his mobile. the major cdma provider is lte-ready in honolulu, but not 100% lte-ready all all islands less lanai. even the excellent cdma coverage is only 90% of the state.

there's no hasty need to jump on a plane and head back home right away, even if a flight is arranged. that would be the most stupid thing to do for a ceo. he would lose at least 12-14 hours plus 3 more at airports if there are connecting flights. most likely, flights will have to connect unless it's a private long-haul jet. those precious 12-14 hours are better spent in touch with staff and events on the ground. and it would give the ceo some time to think thru' (and discuss options with his board and regulatory or political 'masters', if any) instead of acting like a panicky chicken with its head cut off. this shoot-from-hip, jump on the next plane mindset among old school blurfucks here shows they have no clue running a nationwide service provider. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, this ship sunk last week. Still no apology for the event.

Now spinning about keeping in touch with the staff. I know where he was. Why don't you write to him and ask to state where he was and why he did not return any earlier. Ask him if the decision to rebook flights occurred before or after 2nd day of the strike which was noted early on Tuesday morning at 4am.

In this day and age, you can arrange for video conferencing with CNA. They will know how to do this. There is also the email thru which he could have released a press statement.

This guy really fucked it up, somemore go on holiday shorting after taking office. Clearly a man detached from reality. I am sure he knew that SMRT has problems. Did he fix it in 7 weeks?

It may involve a domestic flight to New York plus 22 hours flight time not taking into consideration the fact that he has to wait for the flight. Realistic best case would be that he would leave New York earliest Monday night our time (i.e. Monday morning New York time) arriving in Singapore Tuesday night Singapore time.

He appeared on the papers on Friday 30 November 2012 which means he was seen in the dormitories on Thursday. That does not mean that he wasn't on the job (or still trying to fly back) on Wednesday.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is NO basis to punish the striking workers. One, they did complain but their complaints were ignored. Going on strike was then a reasonable response to a deaf managment. Two, SMRT management have emphasized that the PRC workers were paid less because they were provided with lodging. Since lodging is part of the work contract and the workers were provided with poor lodging accommodation, SMRT has failed in its contractual obligations. Thus, a strike on the worker's part was justified.

I hope the PRC government smacks sinkapore government.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This guy really fucked it up, somemore go on holiday shorting after taking office. Clearly a man detached from reality. I am sure he knew that SMRT has problems. Did he fix it in 7 weeks?

In the SPF, when an officer is transferred to another department, he is not expected to go on long leave so soon after he starts work at his new place. He is expected to clear his leave at his old posting.

We are not referring to Dir level but mata mata at the lowest level. In the case of a CEO, even more reasons for him not to go on long leave so soon after he takes over. More so when you inherit a 'sick' organisation. I opine DK assumed he could just muddle through his new posting. Doubt he took his new post seriously. His previous postings were quite shielded ones. Need not account to the public.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is done all over the world with very exceptions. Not sure if this guy thought he had become an invincible, immune to everything. I am beginning to wonder if he understands what SMRT was going thru. Their board member and acting CEO before this guy's appointment did much better.

Interestingly SMRT's first CEO, also an SAF Scholar and general was outstanding and came out reassuring the public after an incident (could not remember what it was). Forgot his name.

In the SPF, when an officer is transferred to another department, he is not expected to go on long leave so soon after he starts work at his new place. He is expected to clear his leave at his old posting.

We are not referring to Dir level but mata mata at the lowest level. In the case of a CEO, even more reasons for him not to go on long leave so soon after he takes over. More so when you inherit a 'sick' organisation. I opine DK assumed he could just muddle through his new posting. Doubt he took his new post seriously. His previous postings were quite shielded ones. Need not account to the public.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just curious, who approved his leave?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is done all over the world with very exceptions. Not sure if this guy thought he had become an invincible, immune to everything. I am beginning to wonder if he understands what SMRT was going thru. Their board member and acting CEO before this guy's appointment did much better.

Interestingly SMRT's first CEO, also an SAF Scholar and general was outstanding and came out reassuring the public after an incident (could not remember what it was). Forgot his name.

Are you referring to BG or MG (NS) Boey Tak Hap (first batch of SAFOS, same as LHL) ?
May be BTH did well at SMRT, but I heard there was a computer billing fiasco when he was at PUB?

He was the Brigade S3 (as a CPT then) at HQ 2SIB, and I was a young 2LT and LTA.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was long gone (as I left SG 3 decades ago) when I heard that BTH turned down the apparent offer or position to be Chief of Defence Force, and that is one of the reasons the SAF apppointed Ng Jui Ping (who is from the 1st batch of Officer Cadets) as CDF.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christmas and New Year are round the corner. Will the year end holidays be one of joy and merriment? Or will we be treated to yet another exciting SMRT disruption?

Now spinning about keeping in touch with the staff. I know where he was. Why don't you write to him and ask to state where he was and why he did not return any earlier. Ask him if the decision to rebook flights occurred before or after 2nd day of the strike which was noted early on Tuesday morning at 4am.

In this day and age, you can arrange for video conferencing with CNA. They will know how to do this. There is also the email thru which he could have released a press statement.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quack...quack...

desmond quack playing with train...:biggrin:

300862.jpg

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....it is amazing that the wise pple still believe or assume that DK only planned to go to the States for holidays after taking up his new post.
anybody with some cow sense will know that you need to book such a trip months in advance.
either they are really naive or being dishonest to milk the incident to the fullest......lol.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you expect from the WPIB and the SDPIB? Nothing less than the disinformation they spew out.

hahaha....it is amazing that the wise pple still believe or assume that DK only planned to go to the States for holidays after taking up his new post.
anybody with some cow sense will know that you need to book such a trip months in advance.
either they are really naive or being dishonest to milk the incident to the fullest......lol.

operoper3

not surprising, as we seen, SMRT is a profit first, commuters secondary... top management pockets fat bonuses, non-exec (yes they divide the staff as exec and non-exec). get shit loads of work with little or no increment at all!!!...

SMRT finds talent a threat to their already comfy position, UPS (useless piece of shit) will less likely rebel or a threat to them (top management). guys, this is the culture SMRT has. never work for them.