• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is so sad to learn that so many Singkees are still trying so hard to justify their usage of Western names which unconsciously show that they still continue to think with a slavery mentality.

Why nobody think in respect of the Westerners who will continue to think the Singkees names are reminding the whole World this place used to be their colony and they are still the master after so many years?

It's quite a balancing act for some stinkies whom hate prcs and don't want to have to do anything with them culturally even though they are chinese and practice chinese culture.

It's quite a tough act. Act too ang moh and the hokkien peng, chinese educated call you kang tang and they also hate prcs.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Vietnamese hated the French and kicked them out by war. You think they're going to name themselves or their children French names? The French colonists simply weren't as diplomatically skilful and culturally convincing as the British.

And you think the brits were well loved by the malayan colonies' population? Not from what i've heard from the older pre-independence generation. They say the Brits discriminated against and bullied the asian races - that's why the push for independence. And the parents of that time esp the chinese (except for those baba siow type)forbade their children from adopting christian names. In fact until in recent years most young people I know gave themselves the christian names not their parents.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You false prophet spreads lies to say that it is compulsory to tithe but it cannot be found in the bible.

Fuck off, self-righteous, devil-worshipping insect.

Why must Christians used English names?

Is it stated in the bible? :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And you think the brits were well loved by the malayan colonies' population? Not from what i've heard from the older pre-independence generation. They say the Brits discriminated against and bullied the asian races - that's why the push for independence. And the parents of that time esp the chinese (except for those baba siow type)forbade their children from adopting christian names. In fact until in recent years most young people I know gave themselves the christian names not their parents.

The Malays are natives and they are Muslims. They have no love lost with the British. They accepted colonisation under political circumstances and consderations, though they ended with without animosity too when the British became to weak to hold on and the Malays didn't need them anymore. Note that Britain neither came nor left by way of war.

What do you expect really under colonialism. They come and share their wealth and status with you? No, they're here to enhance their own wealth and status. Chinese merchants played their game well and many built fortunes with their mutual help, and respect. The Malays weren't that economically savvy, but the British did helped them preserve and protect their sultanates and native political powers.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malays are natives and they are Muslims. They have no love lost with the British. They accepted colonisation under political circumstances and consderations, though they ended with without animosity too when the British became to weak to hold on and the Malays didn't need them anymore. Note that Britain neither came nor left by way of war.

What do you expect really under colonialism. They come and share their wealth and status with you? No, they're here to enhance their own wealth and status. Chinese merchants played their game well and many built fortunes with their mutual help, and respect. The Malays weren't that economically savvy, but the British did helped them preserve and protect their sultanates and native political powers.

You are going off tangent here. We are not discussing the merits and pitfalls of colonialism here.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are going off tangent here. We are not discussing the merits and pitfalls of colonialism here.

I thought that the tangent on the curve is why aren't Malays adopting English/Christian names. I thought I began my last posting clearly. Malays are Muslims. They use Arabic Muslim names.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought that the tangent on the curve is why aren't Malays adopting English/Christian names. I thought I began my last posting clearly. Malays are Muslims. They use Arabic Muslim names.

Unless my english is failing me, I thought the title of this thread is 'Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence' not 'why aren't Malays adopting English/Christian names'

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless my english is failing me, I thought the title of this thread is 'Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence' not 'why aren't Malays adopting English/Christian names'

Does that preclude expanded comparison? I didn't know there's such restriction. Anyway, I've been through Indian, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese naming systems and customs all through this thread.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramseth is here to educate the ignorant masses namely us in this forum. That's why he has been dispensing random factoids in the many threads that he has posted in.

Now we all know that cheetahs are the fastest land animals on earth but slower than a car. :rolleyes:

Too many chinese ppl have common surnames :rolleyes:

malays have arabic muslim names :rolleyes:

Malays were not politically and economically savy unlike the chinese. :rolleyes:

And many other facts of such a nature.

Truly have to thank him cos you know the ppl in sammyboy are truly a misinformed and uneducated bunch, unlike the enlightened one.

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the reasons why Chinese use English names, is to help those stupid Ang Mohs who has problem pronouncing our names properly.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the reasons why Chinese use English names, is to help those stupid Ang Mohs who has problem pronouncing our names properly.

Wrong,the ang mo are not stupid but the Chinese are !Angmo will be thinking you are just following them and acknowledge that they are still our masters after so many years!

Nowsaday,stupid Singkees are even going one step ahead by naming their child European names hoping nobody can pronouce!What a joke!I think another generation ahead after going one big round,the Chinese will come back to Asian names again like Subramanian Tan,Kumar Yeo,Bala Lee,Mat Yeo

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal

Huh? Aren't Seng, Beng, Wah, Huay, etc easier to pronounce than David, Vincent, Elizabeth,etc. Also one of the prime reasons why many Americans shorten these names to Dave, Vince or Liz. And I am only talking about so-called 'first names'.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Huh? Aren't Seng, Beng, Wah, Huay, etc easier to pronounce than David, Vincent, Elizabeth,etc. Also one of the prime reasons why many Americans shorten these names to Dave, Vince or Liz. And I am only talking about so-called 'first names'.

Americans love to shorten names until it's one or two syallables.

Americans have a middle name and for the life of me i didn't know what it was for.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yup, so why go worship an angmo God?

I'm not sure about Buddhism, but I heard that Buddhism don't worship God. A Buddha is just someone who is enlightened to the truth of all phenomenal and show the way to those not enlightened yet. Hence, the Buddha reveals that every sentient beings has the potential to become a Buddha like himself, or the enlightened one. That means everyone and anyone can become a Buddha. That's what my mahayana Buddhist friend told me.

bro, buddhism also worship god ...if not where do heaven and hell comes from ? who decide where we to go after death ? fuck all religons .