• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are the decendants of slaves. The slaves were stripped of all their african heritage and identity.

Read up on the story roots starring the main protagonist Kunta Kinte. Forced to change his name to toby. Therefore the name toby still has references to that story and how the africans were enslaved and forced to change everything african about themselves with the exception of their external appearance.

They obviously didn't take up these ang moh names and religions willingly.

Crap! That happened hundreds of years ago, they can always adopt African names if they wanted.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Crap! That happened hundreds of years ago, they can always adopt African names if they wanted.

Pray tell what sort of african name should they adopt? :rolleyes:

Africa is a continent consisting of many countries with very different cultures even solely among the negroid populations(we'll exclude the arabic looking north africans)

Since the african americans have already forgotten their original african roots they won't know which tribe and clan they belong to.

Following your logic if let's say a chinese orphan is raised by an ang moh family and they don't know his original family name and give him an ang moh surname.

This orphan grows up and becomes and adult. Should he simply just any old how adopt a random chinese surname? Maybe call himself lee or tan, wong, chee which dialect of the surname should he adopt?

Perhaps if there is ever a chance you forgot your own surname you should just randomly select a chinese surname and randomly select your dialect group assuming you are chinese of course. :rolleyes:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so what do you call yourself?

John, Matthew, Jacob, Paul or Saul? :biggrin:

tee kee come in liao. :biggrin: why haven't you been visiting 3in1 koptiam? Unless your nick higgs was banned there for starting 100s of threads of the wc matches.

Now u're spamming replies on this page too.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Christian name is on my NRIC and passport.

wahlaneh...
why must Christians have Christian names to prove themselves as Christians?
the Bible says that our name will be written in the Book of Life - which 1 : Christian name or NRIC name?:confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah u so power change ur ic and passport just to put in ur christian name?

Nothing power. Common practice with Chinese Christians across all denominations. A Christian name at baptism is not compulsory. Catholics who usually have two, one at birth and one at adult confirmation. Catholics converted at adulthood have one. The one being baptised can ask the priest or pastor to give him/her a Christian name or if there's preference he/her or parents can tell the priest or pastor beforehand. Chosen Christian names usually come with meanings, e.g. to be named after certain patron saints, biblical or historical figures that inspired them.

In any case, that's the practice of religious christening. In the world at large, they're people calling themselves John and Michael praying to Guan Gong and Guan Yin. English or Christian names are in public domain.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing power. Common practice with Chinese Christians across all denominations. A Christian name at baptism is not compulsory. Catholics who usually have two, one at birth and one at adult confirmation. Catholics converted at adulthood have one. The one being baptised can ask the priest or pastor to give him/her a Christian name or if there's preference he/her or parents can tell the priest or pastor beforehand. Chosen Christian names usually come with meanings, e.g. to be named after certain patron saints, biblical or historical figures that inspired them.

In any case, that's the practice of religious christening. In the world at large, they're people calling themselves John and Michael praying to Guan Gong and Guan Yin. English or Christian names are in public domain.

wahlaneh...
so r u a Protestant Christian or Roman Catholic?:confused:
heard got difference leh.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...
why must Christians have Christian names to prove themselves as Christians?
the Bible says that our name will be written in the Book of Life - which 1 : Christian name or NRIC name?:confused:

As I've mentioned, it's not a matter of must, it's a matter of choice. If one must use the word must, then the question is, why must one question other people's choices. A reverse example to non-Christian Chinese adopting English name is one dropping a parental given English name. The most famous case is of course (Harry) Lee Kuan Yew. Also sign of no confidence; no confidence that he's Chinese enough politically in a Chinese majority. As for me, Chinese name, Christian name, both I have and I'm very confidently and comfortably Chinese.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...
so r u a Protestant Christian or Roman Catholic?:confused:
heard got difference leh.

Of course there're differences. Otherwise they wouldn't be split. Go Wiki or Google if you're interested to find out more. I'm Episcopalian (Protestant).

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pray tell what sort of african name should they adopt? :rolleyes:

Perhaps if there is ever a chance you forgot your own surname you should just randomly select a chinese surname and randomly select your dialect group assuming you are chinese of course. :rolleyes:

Your example is not good, forgetting one's surname and being enslaved are two different things. If I was an African, I would adopt an African surname if I were to be freed from slavery, this is a celebration of a new life, a new beginning, why carry the Anglo name as a vesitage of the past slavery? or at the very least give myself an African first and second name and keep my anglo surname. Many African Americans do actually know their origins and can trace their roots.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
African Americans usually take their surnames from their slaveowners. Though slaves, they psychologically felt a bit honored to share the same surnames as their owners, especially those who were benevolent and treated them like human and family, e.g. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson families etc. There were lots of them, contrary to exaggerated depictions of torturous slave driving and flogging.

Through the centuries and generations, they speak only English and generally are converted to Christianity. Hence, their naming system become the same as European Americans. At abolishing of slavery in the mid 1800s, the US sponsored the founding of a new nation in Africa, Liberia (from the word liberty). African Americans were free to go back to Africa to build a new nation ready for them, if they wished, travel expenses included. Some chose to leave the US, many didn't.

We must bear in mind that most of these slaves originated from tribes, not nations. They might have tribal roots but they have no national identities. In those days, if captured by higher civilised nations or dominions in Africa, e.g. Egypt, Algeria, South Africa, they'd still become slaves, in Africa.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your example is not good, forgetting one's surname and being enslaved are two different things. If I was an African, I would adopt an African surname if I were to be freed from slavery, this is a celebration of a new life, a new beginning, why carry the Anglo name as a vesitage of the past slavery? or at the very least give myself an African first and second name and keep my anglo surname. Many African Americans do actually know their origins and can trace their roots.

Look there are some africans that do take up some african name or at least a name with some african influence. That's why sterotypical ghetto or african american names sound kind of africanized like shaniqua and so on. Not all of them know their roots. Some of them spent money to trace it back to some west african country. Most blacks in the US came from west africa.

Still it's not enough to know you came from west african. That's too vague. It's like a person whom looks chinese saying i come from east asia cos i look oriental. I should adopt some chinese name. :rolleyes:

Africans have their various tribes and clans that they hold even dearer to them compared to their nationality. This is actually true for every race out there.

I know what you're driving at and there are some blacks that do take up some sort of african name but the point of the matter is culturally they are not africans. They were born and raised in the US with an anglo surname and name. The only link they have with african is their outer appearance.

It's not really as simple as you put it to be. Would you simply take up a random surname or name?