• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the huge population and limited number of surnames, the Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese surname system serves little functional purpose of distinguishing clans and lineages. What does it mean for a Chinese be a Tan or Lim or Lee etc. when each of these surnames have population that outnumber entire mid-sized countries. Same for Koreans when every other one seems to be a Kim or Park or Lee etc., and for Vietnamese when every other one seems to be a Nguyen etc.

Note that this system is different from that of Shieks in which all guys seemed to be "surnamed" Singh and all girls Kaur. Singh and Kaur are not surnames. They practise a s/o and d/o (same as other Indians and the Muslim bin and binte) instead of a surname system. The Singh (lion) and Kaur (princess) are added behind their given first names (like middle names) to distinguish them from other Indians.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the huge population and limited number of surnames, the Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese surname system serves little functional purpose of distinguishing clans and lineages. What does it mean for a Chinese be a Tan or Lim or Lee etc. when each of these surnames have population that outnumber entire mid-sized countries. Same for Koreans when every other one seems to be a Kim or Park or Lee etc., and for Vietnamese when every other one seems to be a Nguyen etc.

Note that this system is different from that of Shieks in which all guys seemed to be "surnamed" Singh and all girls Kaur. Singh and Kaur are not surnames. They practise a s/o and d/o (same as other Indians and the Muslim bin and binte) instead of a surname system. The Singh (lion) and Kaur (princess) are added behind their given first names (like middle names) to distinguish them from other Indians.

wah you really love to insult chinese ppl and you claim that you don't.

OKay lah, those with surname tan will change it to some other surname so as to differentiate themselves from the other tans okay. :rolleyes:

so it's even worse for a singh or a kaur since all of them could be from the same family correct?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the indians who have Christian/English first and last names. I know of quite a few in Singapore. They seem to have thrown away their identity completely - maybe to escape the caste system

I do not think Chinese are lacking confidence in using English names.

For some it is just for fun but names tend to stick with usage, for others it is just practical because their names are hard to remember for the Ang Mor (same here for many indians or Thais with super long names).

I note that most Chinese keep their Chinese name fully intact - that to me is a sign that there is no lack of confidence in the Chinese names. Elsewise, they could go official change their whole name.

Another thing, since Singapore was British colony, we have influx of missionaries who set up schools. These schools had ang mor teachers so many of the students were given Christian names (not because they lack confidence) and the name stuck!
Funny spelling names - that to me is sign of times, evolution. How richard = Dick, thomas = Tom or Timmy, Elizabeth = Bets or Betsy. Nowadays you have sky, rain, moon, storm - ok lah, people just want to be special just like how they like to blog, personalize their phones, tatoos, pierce their nose.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah you really love to insult chinese ppl and you claim that you don't.

OKay lah, those with surname tan will change it to some other surname so as to differentiate themselves from the other tans okay. :rolleyes:

You really love to take every mention of every problem that Chinese have as an insult. Running out of surnames and overpopulated surnames are problems widely reported by the PRC media and even the PRC government.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You really love to take every mention of every problem that Chinese have as an insult. Running out of surnames and overpopulated surnames are problems widely reported by the PRC media and even the PRC government.

You really love to snook ppl and act blur. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with having a surname that you share with many ppl?
There are many ang mohs with surname smith why not you go lecture them?

You compared it to the singhs whom are even worse since all of them have the same name. Why not you say something bad about the sikhs since all of them have the same last name? That's even worse than the chinese example.

Just admit it, you are bias.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the indians who have Christian/English first and last names. I know of quite a few in Singapore. They seem to have thrown away their identity completely - maybe to escape the caste system

For some it is just for fun but names tend to stick with usage, for others it is just practical because their names are hard to remember for the Ang Mor (same here for many indians or Thais with super long names).

I note that most Chinese keep their Chinese name fully intact - that to me is a sign that there is no lack of confidence in the Chinese names. Elsewise, they could go official change their whole name.

Another thing, since Singapore was British colony, we have influx of missionaries who set up schools. These schools had ang mor teachers so many of the students were given Christian names (not because they lack confidence) and the name stuck!

Well said. That is why I still insist that if there is any lack of confidence or throwing away of roots, it is the African Americans who are the biggest group.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal

Funny spelling names - that to me is sign of times, evolution. How richard = Dick, thomas = Tom or Timmy, Elizabeth = Bets or Betsy. Nowadays you have sky, rain, moon, storm - ok lah, people just want to be special just like how they like to blog, personalize their phones, tatoos, pierce their nose.

Many South Koreans are christian but i seldom see them having christian or western names. I guess their cultural roots are stronger than their religious roots.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's wrong with having a surname that you share with many ppl?
There are many ang mohs with surname smith why not you go lecture them?

I'm not lecturing anyone. You always like to photoshop the plain picture I'm painting. I'm just relating what I read in the Chinese media. The Chinese in China themselves are concerned.

You compared it to the singhs whom are even worse since all of them have the same name. Why not you say something bad about the sikhs since all of them have the same last name? That's even worse than the chinese example.

I'm not comparing similarities, I'm contrasting differences. You didn't read my post properly before bashing. Singh is not a surname as Singhs don't have a surname system like Chinese do. They use s/o in their full names as the other Indians do except that they add Singh to their first names.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many South Koreans are christian but i seldom see them having christian or western names. I guess their cultural roots are stronger than their religious roots.

Ah for the koreans, did they have missionary schools and were a Brit of US colony? Think about it, just in Singapore you had CHIJ, MGS, a bunch of other convents, ACS, SJI, SA, ST Pats, St Margarets, probably a whole host of other schools are that Christian based.

On top of that Singapore was Brit colony. So parents think - hey learn some English, free edu, why not. When they got there, the kids got English name and it stuck.

so it is not cultural or religious roots but more in terms of their not being a colony.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah for the koreans, did they have missionary schools and were a Brit of US colony? Think about it, just in Singapore you had CHIJ, MGS, a bunch of other convents, ACS, SJI, SA, ST Pats, St Margarets, probably a whole host of other schools are that Christian based.

On top of that Singapore was Brit colony. So parents think - hey learn some English, free edu, why not. When they got there, the kids got English name and it stuck.

so it is not cultural or religious roots but more in terms of their not being a colony.

Koreans and Vietnamese use the same Chinese naming system. Though both don't usually write in Chinese characters anymore, their names are actually given in Chinese first, then transliterated into Korean hangul or Vietnamese alphabet. Japanese write still their names in Chinese characters but they're actually given in Japanese, then meaning-matching Chinese characters (known as Japanese kanji to them) are assigned.

Malay names are actually Muslim names (in the same sense of Christian names) given in Arabic first, then transliterated into alphabet. Most Thai names are Buddhist names given in Pali, then transliterated into Thai alphabet. Some Thai names are Pali-Chinese hybrids (something like the Christian-Chinese example John Tan Beng Seng), some Chinese Thais retained their Chinese names in entirety Thai fashion, given name first and surname as last name but adding Sae (姓) in front of the surname. The Thai naming system is so complicated that practically all Thais sport a nickname for everyday use. Their official names are used in formal occasions and on documents only.

English names by themselves developed from an Anglo-Germanic-Nordic hybrid with heavy Biblical influence of course. However, it evolved seemlessly and hardly noticeable as all used the common Latin alphabet.

What's in a name? ...a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

- William Shakespeare

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not lecturing anyone. You always like to photoshop the plain picture I'm painting. I'm just relating what I read in the Chinese media. The Chinese in China themselves are concerned.

I'm not comparing similarities, I'm contrasting differences. You didn't read my post properly before bashing. Singh is not a surname as Singhs don't have a surname system like Chinese do. They use s/o in their full names as the other Indians do except that they add Singh to their first names.

Okay u don't like the fact that there are too many chinese with the same surnames okay. Done deal.

Yet the part where you mention all sikhs have the same name regardless of whether it's male or female betrays your intentions on lamenting that people having a common surname.

I have to ask you this. Why do you have an issue when it comes to chinese ppl having a common surname but no issue when indians, sikhs having the same name? OKay it's not a surname like you claim but a name that all of them take up. You lamented that chinese having a common surname would probably make it too generic or too plain yet wouldn't this be even more obvious or worse since all sikhs have the same name?

Just answer me 2 questions. Why didn't you lament about sikhs all having the same name as being even worse than the chinese? If it isn't a surname then surely there's no need to actually adopt that name then. To chinese ppl since it's their family name they obviously cannot change it.

2: You do have double standards correct? If chinese ppl all took up the same name just like the singhs you would be chiding them for naming themselves that way but it's okay for singhs to do it correct?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no issue personally. I can't have double standards since I don't measure anyone by my standard. Just relating and discussing what I read and know. You don't have to agree with me. I can't help what you think of me, and vice versa. Deal done. Please stop tailgating me if you think I'm that bad or biased. You'd get nowhere. I'll simply roadhog along within limit, and won't be flamed or provoked.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Couldn't u at least bother to answer those 2 questions i have asked you? They are yes, no questions. Why do you skirt the issue?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Couldn't u at least bother to answer those 2 questions i have asked you? They are yes, no questions. Why do you skirt the issue?

I've already answered.

1. I have no issue.

2. I judge nobody by any standard.

For details, re-read my earlier posting.

You can carry on all you want alleging that I have an issue or double standards. I reply to you with this posting because I find you not that unreasonable with your posting in the gangfight thread. Re-read that own posting of yours too. You sound reasonable enough there.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've already answered.

1. I have no issue.

2. I judge nobody by any standard.

For details, re-read my earlier posting.

You can carry on all you want alleging that I have an issue or double standards. I reply to you with this posting because I find you not that unreasonable with your posting in the gangfight thread. Re-read that own posting of yours too. You sound reasonable enough there.

I've always sought to be reasonable and if i'm not i'll not be a hypocrite and admit it.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal

In that case Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia should have a lot of people with french christian names because there were many french missionary schools there as well, and they were french colonies too. But that is not the case, why?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In that case Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia should have a lot of people with french christian names because there were many french missionary schools there as well, and they were french colonies too. But that is not the case, why?

The Vietnamese hated the French and kicked them out by war. You think they're going to name themselves or their children French names? The French colonists simply weren't as diplomatically skilful and culturally convincing as the British.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is so sad to learn that so many Singkees are still trying so hard to justify their usage of Western names which unconsciously show that they still continue to think with a slavery mentality.

Why nobody think in respect of the Westerners who will continue to think the Singkees names are reminding the whole World this place used to be their colony and they are still the master after so many years?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why nobody think in respect of the Westerners who will continue to think the Singkees names are reminding the whole World this place used to be their colony and they are still the master after so many years?

Singaporeans don't need English names to remind the world of that. It's officially recorded and perpetually recited, Sir Stamford Raffles founded Singapore.