• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BT: Chicken Rice Paradise - List of favourite hawker stalls of its own

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember KFC restaurant when first opened where the dishes are served by waiters and with cutlery. Quite nice. Near where California fitness is at Orchard Road.

KFC was originally a chain of full service restaurants with fresh food cooked to order (like Tony Roma's chain). It was in the late 80s that PepsiCo bought over KFC and converted it to a fast food chain.

Talking about chicken rice franchise, I think that Boon Tong Kee is seriously overrated and overpriced.

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the Golden Mile steamboat. The rice is as close as Swee Kee. Anyway I still prefer the one at Thomsom rd Kampong chicken rice.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KFC was originally a chain of full service restaurants with fresh food cooked to order (like Tony Roma's chain). It was in the late 80s that PepsiCo bought over KFC and converted it to a fast food chain.

really? so the Mormon are the one responsible for killing our great classic fried chicken, damn the salt lake city people, damn them.
they should kill them in NY, when the amercian have the chance. kill our great chicken dishes. curse them.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You are welcome, Scroobal.

As a Hainanese myself, I wasn't putting much attention on Hainanese dishes until my father passed away and I miss his Hainanese Chicken, Curry Chicken and Mutton Soup so much that I have to relearn all these cooking skills. Did a lot of experiments and fine tuning before I get it right. Of course, gather some tips here and there. Such skills are normally not shared openly as Chinese tends to protect their "secrets" so jealously. Lucky to have a great teacher tough.

Learning a trick or two would be a blessing when you start to travel alot and staying overseas for long period of time. Yet to relearn my father's Laksa recipe though. :(

Goh Meng Seng

Great stuff. A puzzled long held solved. Thanks

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As a Hainanese myself, I wasn't putting much attention on Hainanese dishes until my father passed away and I miss his Hainanese Chicken, Curry Chicken and Mutton Soup so much that I have to relearn all these cooking skills. Did a lot of experiments and fine tuning before I get it right. Of course, gather some tips here and there. Such skills are normally not shared openly as Chinese tends to protect their "secrets" so jealously. Lucky to have a great teacher tough.

Learning a trick or two would be a blessing when you start to travel alot and staying overseas for long period of time. Yet to relearn my father's Laksa recipe though. :(

Don't become another Locke Liberal, stole a Penang haymee recipe from don't know where and made a big mess out of it. I think that now he's wanted in Malaysia for smuggling Malaysian recipes, among other things, but unwanted in your kitchen anymore. :biggrin:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Don't become another Locke Liberal, stole a Penang haymee recipe from don't know where and made a big mess out of it. I think that now he's wanted in Malaysia for smuggling Malaysian recipes, among other things, but unwanted in your kitchen anymore. :biggrin:

That haymee recipe a bit too strong for me. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was in the UK some years ago. There was an Angmo who I was working on an assignment with. One day, I brought him to eat Chicken Rice and told him to have a go. This chap had tried the usual chinese fare but not the Chicken Rice. After trying he just loved it.

A few years later, I went to his office and everyone started looking in my direction. Apparently the whole office was converted into Chicken Rice fans big time. I was known as the chicken rice chap.

What they could not figure out was why it was not sold in more locations.

Here is another story. Swee Kee's eldest boy unfortunately was a drug addict. He ended up at Selarang Park DRC many years ago. Every Saturday for Lunch, it was Swee Kee's chicken rice cooking directed by the son. Jalan Kayu's roti prata son also in DRC at the same time. Guess what - Prata for Breakfast.

You are welcome, Scroobal.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Oh, btw, for those who are really interested in trying out your own cook chicken rice, please note that if you are in temperate or cold weather places, you will need to maintain the fire in order for the chicken to be cooked. :wink: In summer time, it would be ok to follow the procedure.

There is a minor point I missed out earlier on. Please fry the garlic and onions before you add them to the rice. Some prefer to fry the rice as well but it will make it more heaty, though the taste will be stronger. I find it unnecessary if you are adding that bit of coconut milk (evaporated milk could replace coconut milk).

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ate real Hainanese chicken rice before. It's not the same as common Singapore Hainanese chicken rice. It's glossy, shiny and even oily when you look at it. But when you eat it, it's not oily at all. It's smooth and flagrant. Available at Block 43 Bendemeer Road coffeeshop from an elderly Hainan uncle c. 1976-1982 (that time already age 60+). Went back to Hainan to retire already. During his tenure at the coffeeshop, almost the entire Kallang Basin lunchtime crowd came to patronise his stall. He's unambitious. Just wanted to make some money go back China.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
to me THE best chicken rice in London is @ Singapore Garden Restaurant, Swiss Cottage, London - 83 Fairfax Road, London NW6 4DY [i think they also have another place in baker street]...run by a chap who use to be the SQ station manager in uk, think his name is lim...the recipe is his mother's and the chilli is soo good that when i was living in london i use to buy bottles to take back to my digs, together with dapao chicken rice of course...the chicken rice is as good as any of the best chicken rice stalls in singapore...not only that their kueh patti is also very tasty and crispy...oh and also like their chilli crab quite authentic...all this washed down with tiger beer, pure bliss...service is also friendly mostly malaysian chinese waitresses...their prices are quite reasonable based on london restaurent prices and it is quite well known in the st johns wood/swiss cottage area so you do see the odd english actor and sports celeb every once in while...i once sat next to former world boxing heavyweight champ lennox lewis and his entourage and was one table away from jude law and michael caine's parties on other occasions...i also use to like a place called Tiger under The Table in golders green, but i think it has since closed down...on a recent trip i checked out Sedap @ clerkenwell run by a couple of malaysians who also use to run a joint called Nyonya in Notting Hill now shuttered...their chicken rice sucked...

if in San Francisco...check out Straits Restaurant - San Francisco 845 Market Street Suite 597 San Francisco, CA 94103...run by none other than george yeo's brother, chris yeo nice chap and quite a character...also has branches in burlingame, san jose and atlanta (in partnership with rap star ludacris) and another going to open soon in houston...

Anyone can highlight decent chicken rice in foreign countries such as US, Canada, OZ, UK.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, take the train down to Croydon. Go check out Uncle Lim's

Uncle Lim’s Kitchen
Upper North Arcade Whitgift Center
Croydon CRO 1UZ
020 8688 8378

Even the joint looks like the usual untidy coffeeshop.

Singapore Garden Rest was my fav until one day visiting IBM in Croydon.

to me THE best chicken rice in London is @ Singapore Garden Restaurant, Swiss Cottage, London - 83 Fairfax Road, London NW6 4DY [i think they also have another place in baker street]...run by a chap who use to be the SQ station manager in uk, think his name is lim...the recipe is his mother's and the chilli is soo good that when i was living in london i use to buy bottles to take back to my digs, together with dapao chicken rice of course...the chicken rice is as good as any of the best chicken rice stalls in singapore...not only that their kueh patti is also very tasty and crispy...oh and also like their chilli crab quite authentic...all this washed down with tiger beer, pure bliss...service is also friendly mostly malaysian chinese waitresses...their prices are quite reasonable based on london restaurent prices and it is quite well known in the st johns wood/swiss cottage area so you do see the odd english actor and sports celeb every once in while...i once sat next to former world boxing heavyweight champ lennox lewis and his entourage and was one table away from jude law and michael caine's parties on other occasions...i also use to like a place called Tiger under The Table in golders green, but i think it has since closed down...on a recent trip i checked out Sedap @ clerkenwell run by a couple of malaysians who also use to run a joint called Nyonya in Notting Hill now shuttered...their chicken rice sucked...

if in San Francisco...check out Straits Restaurant - San Francisco 845 Market Street Suite 597 San Francisco, CA 94103...run by none other than george yeo's brother, chris yeo nice chap and quite a character...also has branches in burlingame, san jose and atlanta (in partnership with rap star ludacris) and another going to open soon in houston...

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contrary to what many people think, Hainanese Chicken is not "BOILED" but rather cooked using the heat of boiled water. If you boil the chicken along with the water all the while, you will get overcooked chicken with ugly skin.

The proper way of preparing Hainanese Chicken is to prepare lots of garlic, pandan leaves, onion and aniseed. Boil the water with these ingredients then make sure your chicken has a hole poked through its throat. Hold the Chicken by the neck, dip it into the boiling water and take it up again. This allow the water to go through its internal ribs. Do this for 4 to 5 times. Then put it down into the pot. Close the cover. Turn the fire smaller, boil it for another 10 minutes. Then turn off the fire but don't open up the cover. Let the chicken stay in the pot for another 35minutes to 40 minutes.

Prepare ice or ice water. Once the time is up, take out the chicken and put it immediately into the ice water. This will allow its skin to contract and that is why you see Haianese Chicken has smoothen skin.

Prepare another round of garlic and pandan leaves along with some coconut milk. Take the hot soup from the pot that cooked the chicken to put it into the rice cooker. You can simmer out the fat oil in the process. put in the garlic, pandan leaves and coconut milk. Cook it.

As for the Chilli sauce, just mix the with garlic and the soup, grind it.

There you are, a self cooked Hainanese Chicken rice. Please remember serve the chicken with soya sauce and oyster sauce. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

P.S. You must use the hot soup immediately after you remove the chicken to cook the rice, else the rice will be soggy as normal rice. The hot soup will immediately make the rice firm up as individual bits.
Soak the raw chicken in salt water for about an hour prior to cooking. You'll get better looking chicken.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the former and original place on geary was very ordinary. the old palo alto location was a failure. the cash cow is santana row, and that helped finance the new branch at westfield shopping mall on market and a new restaurant chain called sino based on chinese cuisine. the food at straits is not authentic sinkie, but fusionized for american consumption. that's the way to go mainstream in the u.s. if one wants to imitate the pf chang ambience and experience.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
after so many posts.. no peekture.
1625x5y.gif

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless you're really not concerned about money or budget, it's crazy to eat Chinese food in US or Europe. chicken rice included. US$6.00 or more per plate for something that you can eat for S$2.50 in Singapore everyday. When in San Francisco, if really craving for chicken, go Japantown along Geary Boulevard and checkout the tori-katsudon (chicken cutlet rice bowl) there. Also about US$6.00, but but more delicious than what's normally available in Singapore for about S$8.00.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless you're really not concerned about money or budget, it's crazy to eat Chinese food in US or Europe. chicken rice included. US$6.00 or more per plate for something that you can eat for S$2.50 in Singapore everyday. When in San Francisco, if really craving for chicken, go Japantown along Geary Boulevard and checkout the tori-katsudon (chicken cutlet rice bowl) there. Also about US$6.00, but but more delicious than what's normally available in Singapore for about S$8.00.
It is no more expensive than eating at any other restaurants. If you live there and cravings hit ...