• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BT: Chicken Rice Paradise - List of favourite hawker stalls of its own

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
this weekend's BT lists out afew favourite chicken rice hawker stalls of its own apart from the old standbys like Chin Chin, Yet Con, Swee Kee, Loy Kee, Wee Nam Kee and Boon Tong Kee...what do you chaps think?

Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice
Blk 159 Mei Chin Road, #01-22(closed Mons)

This one is from the founder of the original Sin Kee chicken rice stall at Margaret Drive...now back at the recently upgraded FC in Mei Chin Road...chicken is done in the traditional cantonese version of chicken rice...chicken is tender and succulent...chilli is more on the sweet-sour side...rice is cooked with garlic,onions and pandan leaves...both rice and chilli sauce are excellent...price for whole chicken is $24 and single portions start at $3...

Lucky Chicken Rice
304 Orchard Road, #02-110 Lucky Plaza

Steamed and roasted boneless chicken versions, served with light soya sauce, chilli and ginger...

Hainanese Delicacy
14 Scotts Road, #05-116 Far East Plaza

Boneless traditional Hainanese chicken both steamed and roasted, less oily and served with light soya sauce...quality of rice is so-so, chilli sauce is distinctive and garlicky

Delicious Boneless Chicken rice
865 Mountbatten Road #B1-85/87 Katong Shopping Centre

serves a pretty mean version of its own...deep fried garlic chips sprinkled over the meat which makes the subsequent crunchiness difference...each order comes with a side plate of cucumber and pineapple salad and a sizeable bowl of carrot and chicken bone soup @ $4 per portion all in...rice is a bit of a letdown but the salty soya sauce served with the chicken seems to work just fine

Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (this one is really an old time all time favourite)
Stall 10 Maxwell Food Centre
Tel:9691-4852 (closed on Mons)

queue or not to queue, that is the question?...even celeb chefs like anthony bourdain and tetsuya wakuda have christened this the best chicken rice in the world...chicken(only steamed version) is moist and tender...rice is al dente style all plump grains with shiny coats of chicken fat fried with gobs of garlic and ginger...however chicken itself can be lacklustre, and the lime infused chilli sauce can be flat...rice could also do with a little more fragrance...value for $$$ though at $2.80 for a small portion and $3.30 for a large one...overall quality is more than decent...you can even call up in advance and beat the queue for takeaway orders if you place an order for more than 6 portions

Sin Shen Kee
Banquet Food Court, Greenridge Shopping Centre
Jelapang Road

owner use to work at the famous Sin Kee in Margaret Drive - and serves halal style Hainanese chicken rice...chicken is soft and juicy and nicely cooked with a layer of gelatin beneath the skin...rice and chilli is ok

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh yes just remembered one of my favs...Fook Seng GoldenHill Chicken Rice @ Jalan Rumah Tinggi has recently opened a branch @ changi airport T2 transit lounge...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my downstairs kopitiam gt 1 chicken rice stall ...

$1.50 only ... 1 bowl of soup free ... chilli sos free ...

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me, its Ming Kee Chicken rice @ Blk 511 Bishan Street 13 #01-522 Kim San Leng Food Centre.
Rice is damn fagrant. chilli so-so. Chicken succulent. Soup best.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
found out about this from ronnie when i dropped by jalan rumah tinggi...not sure about the prices though as i have yet to try the T2 transit lounge branch...i gather it is some sort of franchise deal with ronnie (the owner) training the franchisees' staff and providing his name and expertise...the franchisee may also be setting up another stall at expo...according to ronnie the quality is the same as he has been doing QC...
No kidding?!? :eek: That's great news! Only downside is it is going to be expensive! :(

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the heads up bro...i must check this stall out the next time i am in the vicinity...

For me, its Ming Kee Chicken rice @ Blk 511 Bishan Street 13 #01-522 Kim San Leng Food Centre.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is really one of the best steam chicken rice I've tried

The best roast chicken is Paoxin

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Pro

Chicken rice in my view is a synthesis of simple yet well prepared ingredients then when combined produce pure heaven.

1. Rice- Flavor, light heavy
2. Chicken-texture of meat
texture of skin
3. Chilli Sauce-freshness piquancy,
4. Soup- flavorful no MSG delicate chicken consomme

The traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice as typified by the Swee Kee variety is heavy, rich and more greasy. Tian Tian in my view has the right balance of richness and texture, not to greasy but rich enough, the rice fragant but not heavy :_))

Cheers

Locke

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malacca and Hatyai have good chicken rice too. Malacca's is the chicken riceball style which, for some reasons, seems have faded away in Singapore by the 80s. However, chicken riceball was quite popular in Singapore in the 70s and before, and for my taste, undisputably more delicious than a regular bowl or plate of of loose chicken rice. Perhaps it's harder to cook and make. Hatyai chicken rice looks like Singapore chicken rice but it's taste is certainly fresher. They slaughter their own live chicken somewhere behind the kitchen or nearby the stall.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Pro

The traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice as typified by the Swee Kee variety is heavy, rich and more greasy. Tian Tian in my view has the right balance of richness and texture, not to greasy but rich enough, the rice fragant but not heavy :_))

Cheers

Locke

Uncle
If u ever visit the island of Hainan today, there's no such thing as hainan chicken rice. The spore hainan chicken rice was, over the years, evolved & metamorphed, into a staple food for Sporeans by the early hainan immigrants.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malacca and Hatyai have good chicken rice too. Malacca's is the chicken riceball style which, for some reasons, seems have faded away in Singapore by the 80s. However, chicken riceball was quite popular in Singapore in the 70s and before, and for my taste, undisputably more delicious than a regular bowl or plate of of loose chicken rice. Perhaps it's harder to cook and make. Hatyai chicken rice looks like Singapore chicken rice but it's taste is certainly fresher. They slaughter their own live chicken somewhere behind the kitchen or nearby the stall.

There used to be a chicken rice ball shop along jalan Besar in the early 90s. But after that area was redeveloped, the old man packed & vanished. And yes, the Malacca chicken rice ball is simply great & goes very well with the traditional black bean soup.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Haven't been to those places but I've tried the insanely famous Beansprouts Chicken Rice in Ipoh and it's insanely overrated. It's pretty average by SG standards.