• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Birkhall, Queenstown, Hua Yi, Margaret Drive Primary Schools alumni fall in here !

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: SAFRA Going To Be Gone

So you're still in Q'town? My mom and bro kenna enblock so moved to Tanglin Halt 10 storey new flats the one with Shing Shong.

Factory girls then happening or not?
Mainly from Malaysia but that time to young lah. See every girl also cal je je. Believe it or not, we have 3 generations working at gmt at the same time.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Birkhall, Queenstown, Hua Yi, Margaret Drive Primary Schools alumni fall in here

Yes, my family has moved from Prinsep Street to Queenstown in 1959 and I have been staying in Queenstown since. During my primary school years, there were many Chinese and most of my friends were living at Margaret Drive. Do not understand why the government had to demolish all those blocks along Margaret Drive and forced all my childhood and school friends to move away. The long and large vacant plots of land along Margaret Drive have been left vacant for about 40 years now and most memorable landmarks have been erased along with my friends.

Show you something -

b1dff127.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Birkhall, Queenstown, Hua Yi, Margaret Drive Primary Schools alumni fall in here

Not sure if I am right but I was given to understand that Queenstown was developed as a residential belt in the west to complement and rival the east coats residential belt. It was supposed to attract the middle class and those who were moving up the ladder. Queenstown was the new hip town of the 70s, 10 minutes from Orchard Road, new canals, wider roads, etc. Factories and workshop were closed down as most people were working in Orchard Rd, CBD and many were govt servants. Lots of schools were built and the schools were popular as the standards were considered next to the mission schools.

I remember so of my schoolmates were proud of the place, talked about cinema, bowling and the chics from many schools. I was even told the gangsters in Queenstown were educated and multi-ethnic. Consdered safe area.

Then Marine Parade whch was wholly reclaimed land came into the picture in the late 70s.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kay Siang is no more. Changed to Ministry of Education which in turn had moved.

Across Tanglin Road from Kay Siang was Belvedere Primary School. Next to it was Alexandra Estate Primary School which shared a school field with Crescent Girls' School. CGS is still around. Further on were Jervois East and West Schools. This area looks like it may be a hip address in future. Jervois Road and Bishop's Gate are just behind and with road names like Alexandra Road, Prince Philip Avenue, Prince Charles Crescent and Princess Anne Square. Some anglophile property developer will probably turn it into Singapore's SW3. The old postal code for this area was Singapore 3.

christinecpy

Hi Joetys! I just sent you a private message, please reply me there :smile: - Christine

SalimTan

Just saw this very old thread.

Hua Yi == Bayi School. Best brass band.

Margaret Drive == Monkey Donkey School.

Birkhall == Bo Hor School. Very small school. Predicted close shop soon and it did.

SalimTan

Hua Yi ==
Bayi School.
Best brass band in Singapore.
Haunted, night watchman died one after another, students went toilet in 2s.

Margaret Drive ==
MD means Monkey Donkey School.
Students got lousy results.
Pretty girls.

Birkhall ==
Bo Hor School.
Very small school.
Predicted close shop soon and it did.
Fence always get cut by footballers to play in school field.
People dug big holes in long-jump sand pit and camouflaged.