• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bea Johnson Chao Ang Mo Makes fun of Singlish

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was sitting down at Boat Quay one morning, shortly after my arrival in Singapore, and overheard two young Asian girls chatting at the table next to us.

When I didn’t immediately understand what they were saying, I assumed they were speaking Mandarin. However, after a few more minutes, I realised I could understand a few words, and then to my astonishment, I realised that they were in fact speaking English. I was even more amazed when I realised that this must be their first language. How then could they speak it with such a funny accent?

Before I came to Singapore, I had of course heard of Singlish, but had assumed it was more a case of sprinkling the official language of English with a dash of Chinese or Malay slang. I had not realised that it is actually a stable, fully-fledged language and more recently, rather a controversial topic.

This very local dialect is viewed with pride and affection by most Singaporeans, and considered to be an important part of local heritage.

However, in recent years, the government has become increasingly concerned that the popularity of Singlish could lead to deterioration in the population’s “proper” English, thus limiting Singapore’s trading opportunities with the outside world and denigrating their appearance abroad.

As a result, not only is Singlish banned on television, but somewhat amusingly the Speak Good English Movement’s latest campaign suggests that the next time you see a sign written in poor English, you should whip out your post it notes and paste a sticky note over it, correcting the error. The idea has been described as guerrilla by some, and seems a tad excessive (not to mention at odds with the strict rules on vandalism).

On launching this year’s campaign the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan replaced the ubiquitous and perfectly comprehensible sign at the Xin Food Court saying, “No outside food allowed” with one which reads “No food from elsewhere, please”. Seriously, the original was fine.

Taxi drivers are one of the best sources of Singlish and are a constant source of amusement for us “ang mohs” and, sometimes, of frustration. We wonder why when we say an address, the taxi driver will sit and ponder for a few minutes until repeating it seemingly identically.

On one occasion, a friend got a bit tongue-tied when asking for an address and it came out as “Reonie Hir”. As we looked at each other in horror at this unintentional faux pas, the taxi driver merely repeated “Ah, Reonie Hill lah, OK.” Apparently no offense was taken, and off we went.

On one occasion, my lack of Singlish was a serious hindrance. I had received a voucher for a facial, which I duly tried out. The next day I received a call from an unknown number and, assuming it was the beauty salon calling to harass me about future treatments, was a tad curt. However, after a few minutes, to my horror, I realised it was a telephone job interview!

By this point, I had no idea who the company was or even what the role was, and spent the next ten minutes alternately cringing every time I had to ask the interviewee to repeat herself, and wondering what the heck we were talking about! Aiyo! Needless to say I never heard back about that one.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is nothing, it's not the 1st or the last Chao Ang Mo to do that

when I first went to western country I also laugh at all the Ang Mos there for speaking with funny accent what! :biggrin:

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singlish evolved b'cos of the diversified background of S'poreans, with many races speaking different languages (including dialects) which result in multiple context switching when communicating. Many foreigners just do not get it.

Instead they like to poke or make fun of S'poreans, purely out of envy b'cos of S'pore's success, whereas their home countries are in a complete mess i.e. loss of jobs and huge amount of debts etc. By making fun of S'poreans is their only way of making themselves look good. Pathetic white pigs!

This is one of the many reasons why I never like foreigners in S'pore, especially caucasians. I notice Yahoo S'pore website is one of the platforms they like to use against S'pore & its people. :mad:

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u plan to stay in a foreign country it is expected of you to adopt the local custom and assimilate. One good way of assimilating is to learn the local language. U noe there are so many bloody sinkies in Aus trying to fake tat Aussie accent (and most of the time they sound so unnatural and awkward with that so damn eager to please like a dog phoney accent) and use Aussie slangs :rolleyes:

However, in singapore's case it is topsy turvy. Foreigners come in to our country, we try to assimilate and accomodate to them. What the.....:oIo:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck him for his North/South/East/West/Italin/Irish/Scott/Jew/german/French accent!

If the fucking ang mo can have their knn accent, why we cannot have our own? If he cannot fit in, then he should just fuck off.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should be angry that Ang Mohs are fucking our local girls not small things like Singlish... These ang mohs enjoyed and change the girls like toilet paper... Used and throw...

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should be angry that Ang Mohs are fucking our local girls not small things like Singlish... These ang mohs enjoyed and change the girls like toilet paper... Used and throw...
wat gives them the idea that ang moh is better than anyone else?:rolleyes:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Thats because those stupid local whores have Pinkerton Syndrome. They love to be fucked by those chao ang moh. They deserve to get butt fucked and thrown out like yesterday's garbage.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
wat gives them the idea that ang moh is better than anyone else?:rolleyes:

Could be a combination of low self-esteem and country bumpkiness.

They need to be with someone they thought is superior to make themselves feel better. They see angmo kow as superior coz for the whole of their fucking pathetic lives, they have never left the shores of Singapore and consequently cast their impression of angmo base on hardcore hollywood stereotypes.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gov is just making a big hoohaa over nothing. Singlish is not going to drive investors away just because they might have difficulties relating to the way Singaporeans speaks. Look at non-English speaking countries in our region such as Indonesia, Thailand or even PRC. Are they any worse off just because they do not adopt English as their main stream language? Even English speaking nations such as Australia and the UK speaks in their own particular manner. So is Singlish any worse?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a strange feeling that this article was written by a Sinkie or an angmoh who has been residing here for sometime. He appears to be quite familiar with the local scene like "Speak Good English Movement", what Vivian did at the launch of the campaign etc.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Article can be found on Yahoo news blog. The writer Bea Johnson, who recently landed in Singapore, is a freelance broadcast journalist who previously worked for Britain’s Sky News and Press Association.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
When foreigners are indiscriminately regarded as "talents" whilst Sinkies are deemed "daft", it's not hard to see where the Pinkerton syndrome came from.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, I don't perceive his article as 'making fun of singlish'. He merely recounted some of his hilarious encounters which I can personally relate to. It's simply a case of culture shock.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go to Scotland, Wales and parts of England and you will think they are not speaking English too. The Cockney accent is quaint and they talk by swallowing part of the word, which is hard for English speakers to understand. These are Englishmen mind you.

Lord Imperious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to Scotland, Wales and parts of England and you will think they are not speaking English too. The Cockney accent is quaint and they talk by swallowing part of the word, which is hard for English speakers to understand. These are Englishmen mind you.

Ahem. Scots and Welsh are not Englishmen. British Citizen yes but not English.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike the difference between British and American English, Singlish is not about accent alone, it's a pidgin with it's own non-English derived vocabulary and grammar (if you can call it grammar). There's nothing to do Pinkerton. PRCs and ROCs would be somewhere between amused and horrified at the way Singlish Chinese is spoken.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the difference between British and American English, Singlish is not about accent alone, it's a pidgin with it's own non-English derived vocabulary and grammar (if you can call it grammar). There's nothing to do Pinkerton. PRCs and ROCs would be somewhere between amused and horrified at the way Singlish Chinese is spoken.

Precisely. A lot of sinkies try to justify singlish by comparing with accents/ dialects of other English speaking countries. However, singlish is NOt about accent/dialect. It's simply English that has been butchered beyond recognition. The grammer, pronunciation, intonation and even choice of words leave much to be desired.