• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bea Johnson Chao Ang Mo Makes fun of Singlish

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
English so what? Now many of these Ang Mohs are trying to learn Mandarin. :p

Mandarin so what? In Singapore Chinese context, beside the newsreaders, reporters and a few better teachers, hardly anyone speaks standard Mandarin. There's nothing to proud of for Singaporeans that westerners are learning Mandarin. They won't be learning it from Singapore, except for idiots and con victims.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was sitting down at Boat Quay one morning, shortly after my arrival in Singapore, and overheard two young Asian girls chatting at the table next to us.

When I didn’t immediately understand what they were saying, I assumed they were speaking Mandarin. However, after a few more minutes, I realised I could understand a few words, and then to my astonishment, I realised that they were in fact speaking English. I was even more amazed when I realised that this must be their first language. How then could they speak it with such a funny accent?

That's because we are Singaporeans, you chee bye ang mo bitch!

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely. A lot of sinkies try to justify singlish by comparing with accents/ dialects of other English speaking countries. However, singlish is NOt about accent/dialect. It's simply English that has been butchered beyond recognition. The grammer, pronunciation, intonation and even choice of words leave much to be desired.

Is justification needed? Anything wrong with using a language that is spoken by the majority in a country? If a foreigner decides to be here for the long run, should he not assimilate with our practices instead of the other way round?

Singlish can be said as one of the many creole languages spoken by people who were once colonized by the imperialism europeans.

I do not hear of people who speak creole in other countries complaining about their own unique language.

The difference is this, for eg: The PNG national who speak pidgins do not see the need to lower themselves to accomodate to the foreigners in their own soil. On the other hand, the typical sinkie will even drop their fucking surname just to please any visiting foreigners. Oh yea, we have less pride than the melanesians from a proverty stricken country, no wonder people from the world around see us as pushovers.......:rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
English so what? Now many of these Ang Mohs are trying to learn Mandarin. :p
Very few compared to the number of Chinese trying to learn English.

<object height="385" width="480">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JW-Zri3aGpQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>​

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pz195SPGKmA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck him for his North/South/East/West/Italin/Irish/Scott/Jew/german/French accent!

If the fucking ang mo can have their knn accent, why we cannot have our own? If he cannot fit in, then he should just fuck off.

Emm, I think Bea Johnson is probably a woman. Short for Beatrice.

She's probably one of those ang mo (especially if Brit) who are actually the equivalent of an ah beng in Sg. Called trailer park white trash (USA), bogans (Australia), chavs (Britian), she knows that she and her type of family is looked down upon, back in her own white country.

This becomes very acute especially if she is British, because their social class system is very entrenched. So she comes here and thinks (and hopes) that she is superior to the natives, but deep down, especially if she's a Brit, their social radar is very strong, and deep down she can see clearly just who is superior and who has ah beng-trailer park white trash-bogan-chav genes. Such genes are the same the world over. Once an ah beng, always an ah beng. Like they say, "you can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy."

You see...that's why she said all those things and behaved that way. People who are deeply ashamed of their own social background, always behave this way. She'd be laughed at, back home because alot of Brits still don't accept her kind of class background. Hence she has to come here.

Isn't that true, Beatrice? If you're reading this... You can't fool some of us. We know your kind. hahahahaha

Last edited:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we are only laughing and looking down at the Chinese for their funny English usage because we can speak the English language relatively better than them even though we are Chinese and SHOULD know Chinese better than we do English (get what I mean? :smile:)

An ang mo would laugh his head off people like Leong Sam who pokes fun at how the Chinese use their English much like how we would laugh at an Englishman for making fun of his fellow Englishman using Mandarin.

So to Leong Sam who kowtows to English, I say....:oIo:

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Article can be found on Yahoo news blog. The writer Bea Johnson, who recently landed in Singapore, is a freelance broadcast journalist who previously worked for Britain’s Sky News and Press Association.

haha, that's what I thought. A Brit. Probably one that's on the lower end of the social ladder, but managed to make good for her generation, but with her ancestors very suspect.

In a place like the US, that wouldn't matter, 'cos for the most part, Americans don't care about such things. But for alot of the Brits, this still matters, and it still stings alot that their own people look down upon them just becuase of social class. (note, it's never been about $$. It's always been about class.). That's why she's so bitter, and write until like that.

Hey, Bea. Some of us are familiar with your kind. You should just forget about such bitterness, and go make good it a place like the US, where they'd give you recognition for your worth and contribution, instead of your social background. Be more positive and constructive with your time, rather than come to Sg, where you can feign superiority, while wasting the best part of your youth fighting with a million dozen other foreigners for a piece of the pie, and meanwhile taking potshots at S'poreans just to make yourself feel good. Go to the US now, before it's too late, and youth is wasted.

And besides, Bea, what makes your type even more frustrated is that, in the cosmopolitan mix that is Sg today, a fat British gal don't seem to be getting any attention because there is too many LBFM-types consuming all the white guys, right?

Hope some of you at sammyboy pass on my post to Bea. I know her kind. I've seen them before. Poor thing. Instead of getting on with her life, she decides to spend it feeling falsely superior. Use your time more constructively, Bea. Before you grow too old to do so.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
And besides, Bea, what makes your type even more frustrated is that, in the cosmopolitan mix that is Sg today, a fat British gal don't seem to be getting any attention because there is too many LBFM-types consuming all the white guys, right?

She looks OK to me.....not gorgeous but definitely not fat....:p

http://en.gravatar.com/beajohnson007#pic-1

fc43868c54cec7e7518c187825b18eca

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gov is just making a big hoohaa over nothing. Singlish is not going to drive investors away just because they might have difficulties relating to the way Singaporeans speaks. Look at non-English speaking countries in our region such as Indonesia, Thailand or even PRC. Are they any worse off just because they do not adopt English as their main stream language? Even English speaking nations such as Australia and the UK speaks in their own particular manner. So is Singlish any worse?

There is this thing in linguistics called 'varieties of English'. Singlish is one of them. So is Carribean English, so is Indian English. There is nothing wrong with varieties of English, because it's where English in its various forms evolve all the time.

Only morons with low self-esteem will deride varieties of English, instead of looking at the richness it brings to the English language. Yes, including morons of the highest order in whatever country they are in.

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the difference between British and American English, Singlish is not about accent alone, it's a pidgin with it's own non-English derived vocabulary and grammar (if you can call it grammar). There's nothing to do Pinkerton. PRCs and ROCs would be somewhere between amused and horrified at the way Singlish Chinese is spoken.

It's called varieties of English.

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely. A lot of sinkies try to justify singlish by comparing with accents/ dialects of other English speaking countries. However, singlish is NOt about accent/dialect. It's simply English that has been butchered beyond recognition. The grammer, pronunciation, intonation and even choice of words leave much to be desired.

No, it hasn't been butchered. It's part of what's called varieties of English. You can actually use Singlish with near-perfect grammar, but add in our own unique take, with its Malay and Hokkien words.

It's only butchered if some half-wit moron uses bad grammar throughout. That's when it becomes irritating.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no doubt that our standard of English has deteriorated over the years. This is right across the board. One can see it even see in press articles.

However this lady is writing in a condescending manner and downright rude. You can also sense the air of superiority and the use of "us"versus "they", ":source of amusement" etc. Note also the name dropping - Leonie Hill.

Really sad to see that someone keen to work here having such a mentality.

As forummer Windsor rightly pointed out, if you were in the UK, you too would wonder what language many of them speak.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read this imbecile's comment about her article. This guy must be so thick that he does not know that he has been insulted.

criticise 1 week ago

Dear Ms Johnson, welcome to Singapore and your enthusiasm to improve your Singlish is an applaudable move. Not all foreigners coming here will bother to try to blend with our local environment. As such, your move is a good example of respecting a local culture without undermining it.

I've joined the Speak Good Singlish Movement facebook group (see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Good-Singlish-Movement/152213451475413), and urge all fellow Singaporeans and foreign friends alike who are devoted to keeping Singlish as an important part of our Singapore Identity join this group as a show of support too. :smile:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read this imbecile's comment about her article. This guy must be so thick that he does not know that he has been insulted.

criticise 1 week ago

Dear Ms Johnson, welcome to Singapore and your enthusiasm to improve your Singlish is an applaudable move. Not all foreigners coming here will bother to try to blend with our local environment. As such, your move is a good example of respecting a local culture without undermining it.

I've joined the Speak Good Singlish Movement facebook group (see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Good-Singlish-Movement/152213451475413), and urge all fellow Singaporeans and foreign friends alike who are devoted to keeping Singlish as an important part of our Singapore Identity join this group as a show of support too. :smile:

What a farking spineless piece of shit. This guy is obviously someone still living in hope of another colonial invasion. Farking cunt of the highest order!

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
She looks OK to me.....not gorgeous but definitely not fat....:p

http://en.gravatar.com/beajohnson007#pic-1

fc43868c54cec7e7518c187825b18eca

Looks somewhat horsy to me. Should be a magnet for some unsavoury Sinkees. But examine her background a bit more (if you can dig around for it), I'm sure she has chav ancestors, and is deeply aware of it, hence all that outpourings.

I mean, for all the horrid things people like to say about the Americans, at least they don't have this kind of hangups. Notice how many Brits have fled to the US and Australia? Notice the SOCIAL BACKGROUNDS these Brits are from?

Now if they don't care much about these things and they make it good in the US or Britian and don't mind going back to 'ol blighty (may be for just a visit), then of course it's ok. But you see, the Brit mentality is such that alot of them feel deeply ashamed that their social backgrounds are...how should I put it as a S'porean...well, peasant as in ah beng background. So even in they have made it good, alot still feel hurt when people back in Britian who may be less materially rich than them (now that they've made good, either in biz or professionally), still look down upon them, JUST SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THEIR SOCIAL BACKGROUND.

So they come here. To Asia. With a silly superior attitude, and whaddaya know...when they encounter an anomaly like Sg, they don't like it. Why? Asian on the surface - yellow, brown and black people - but actually speaking a pretty much good grade of English to get by. Come on, you all, don't let anyone fool you that S'poreans and Sg speak shit English. Written grammar may sometimes be a bit off, but I think on the whole it's one of the best countries to get by in the English-speaking world, no?

And so....chavs like freckled Beatrice (watch out for the sun, gal, or you'd be very chao lao very soon) has to find some faults. To make herself feel superior. Meanwhile, give her a little bit more time...and she'd probably get suckered up by some native guy who'd use her up and spit her out.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no doubt that our standard of English has deteriorated over the years. This is right across the board.

Nonsense, especially the part on "right across the board." My English is fine, educated through the Singapore education system, and it gets better all the time. When people don't want to learn the correct thing the correct way and think that it's cool to deviate and be different, that's the problem.