• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie Local experience

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you apply for jobs in Australia, you will always hear that they want people with local experiences..

if you have migrated from Singapore, you will need to work very hard to convince Aussie's boss your experience in Singapore are as good as local experiences.

I would like to heard from forum members how they landed jobs in Australia ?

I spoke to many people in Australia and 65% of all jobs are filled with network and recommendations. Therefore only 35% of jobs are found from seek.com or websites.

On top of these factors, there are a large populations of migrants from indian and they are creating some issues with jobs and forging resume or testimonials to claim local experiences and get into the local market...shame on you !!!!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you apply for jobs in Australia, you will always hear that they want people with local experiences..

On top of these factors, there are a large populations of migrants from indian and they are creating some issues with jobs and forging resume or testimonials to claim local experiences and get into the local market...shame on you !!!!

Part of the problem is people forging resume or testimonial. Hence, you would see employers being very careful when selecting people for a job. Another part, based on my limited experience, are the agents, I remember going to several clueless job agents that insist I should lower my expectation as I do not have "local experience". For crying out loud, its programing! What sort of local experience do you need to write a C,C++,python, perl script/file? You would think having overseas experience in a fortune 500 company is sufficient and in fact appreciated. I walked out most of the agencies feeling they are clueless and won't be much of a help to begin. I also have a feeling they would rather you be a contractor for them then trying to help you land a job you want. In the end, found a job that was advertised by my current company. No job agents, went straight for the interview at the company on Friday, got a reply on Monday to ask if I can start tomorrow. Later, found that my division actually hired a lot of people straight without this so called "local experience", in fact its the technical aspect that they were hired for. I suppose, I'm lucky enough to land a job in a month, and found a company that doesn't just look at "local experience".

Another thing I want to add, these job agents likes to give you frivolous "exams", be it personality, technical, etc, do not for a minute believe the score you did on it would get you a job. It is probably just a way for them to meet their "quota" of job applicants of the month. They are a complete waste of time in my regards.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if you have migrated from Singapore, you will need to work very hard to convince Aussie's boss your experience in Singapore are as good as local experiences.

If your boss has worked in an Asian country, chances are that they will know what to expect when a Singaporean turn up. Sime employers are known to prefer Asian workers.

Larger mining companies have multi-cultural staff, so, not an issue with Singaporeans even though they do not know a single thing about mining (some do, eg part of Gorgan Project is also outsource to Singapore).

Even a Sydneysider will need local experience in Perth.

Getting local experience is easy. Just do volunteer work for charity or if there are temp jobs at uni. Go for that. Eg Those paid by the hour to find accommodation for international students.

If you bother to write the Selection Criteria, go for govt jobs. In the past, they do not worry much about local experience. Just write well and make sure you do not sound like you will do your potential boss'es job. Even Africans are able to get into Treasury jobs :biggrin:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I spoke to many people in Australia and 65% of all jobs are filled with network and recommendations. Therefore only 35% of jobs are found from seek.com or websites.

totally...which is why i m still jobless....sad

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's not so much the work capability that is in doubt, but the experience of working within the Australian culture.

There is a heap of differences compared to Singapore.

And definitely not the SG stereotype that "All Aussies are lazy"

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My advice to you, if you are jobless in Oz, is to take even a job in what can be perceived as "lowly" in the Singaporean sense.

I had a lady friend who could not find a job with her expertise in her industry, so started out as a receptionist at a company similar to her experience.

She was approached and given a asst. manager's job by their competitors a few months after.

That's how you get into the "hidden" 65% not found on SEEK.com

totally...which is why i m still jobless....sad

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My advice to you, if you are jobless in Oz, is to take even a job in what can be perceived as "lowly" in the Singaporean sense.

I had a lady friend who could not find a job with her expertise in her industry, so started out as a receptionist at a company similar to her experience.

She was approached and given a asst. manager's job by their competitors a few months after.

That's how you get into the "hidden" 65% not found on SEEK.com

totally........i m applying as a receptionist as well....

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never under-estimate how these indians in oz, i fell into yet another trap of being too generous. one of my ah neh ex-colleague asked for my resume as a reference. Out of generosity, i let him have a copy, and lo and behold, he plagarised mine onto his. From now on, i tell my employers not to be too trusting and verify the qualifications of future candidates. They cannot and never will be your friends. Had another shitty exprience with a neighbour ah neh, same back stabbing method, they wil never value you as their peers. i dont blame those local aussies for not relating to us foreigners. frankly, i dont blame them.

Now i am very selective. i tried several times in the past with the south asians but each time, i met with with the same responses. Heck, my current best friend now are from africa, not those refugees but engineers (civil, electrical, mechanical), Phd students, unbelieveable as it sounds.. and i find them far more genuine than those backstabbers and some of those low-class chinese, HKers, those that has little or no education and came over to Oz thru' the back doors of NZ.

as far as job is concerned, you just have to keep trying. in brisbane, it is alot harder since the working population here are predominately angmoh qlders that dont have much regional and inter-cultural working exposure, so they arent that comfortable working with asians. However, they have a tendency towards americans and so, if u can, slang abit like the americans and not like native singaporeans. british slang perhaps but it is alot harder to adapt, and they dont view pommies with great respect. Since we have worked with MNCs, make it a point to highlight to the interviewers that you have international working relationship with other nationalities, that is another great selling point.

but in areas where the skills are rarer, and you have the know-hows, then you will have a chance. It is alot more multi-cultural in sydney and melbourne, and so your chances of finding jobs in these cities will be alot higher.

So the method of getting employment depend pretty much on your ability to sell your skill; your speech (slang), communication skills, and how comfortable you can make the interviewers feel working with you; interview is to sell yourself but dont oversell nor undersell. we singaporeans tend to undersell ourselves as humility is part of our culture. Another main factor is to understand the job scope/requirement and how u can relate your knowledge/skill to meet their need.

These interviewers are seasoned old birds and they know all sort of tricks in the book that interviewees will throw. And they are not keen to know your personal goal and aspirations. What they want to know is how you can add values to their organisation.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

All true. If you a new migrant, this would be a hurdle to get through. However, once u get through the 'local experience', you should be able to change job and compete 'equally' with the locals.

Yes don't underestimate network and recommendations here. Though most recruiters are wankers but the good one might help you secured an interview and influence their client to get you job if they have good working relationships with the clients. U need to get 2 good referees, preferably one of them is a local.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a hidden meaning to the "local experience"

Their definition of "local experience" is first, you have to be Australian (not just a mutherfucking PR), Second you have to be white! Simple as that.

I have quite a few Asian friends who grad from the top Aussie unis and can't land themselves a job despite having PR and really good grades. The funny thing is whenever we go ask around prospective employers about the academic grades requirement, all of them gave an unanimous "ard 65 will do". So why are my friends not being called up for any job interviews (much less land a job) despite being a PR and being one of the top few students of their cohort? I really feel for them.... They worked so hard to get their degrees, yet when they sent out job applications none bother to respond....

Those who are lucky enough to find a job end up in those really small firms which the Aussies themselves shun.

In Australia, the big MNC jobs are reserved for Australians and whites only. Jobs in Australia have extremely high entry barrier for foreigners and that's why u see so many aussie uni grad foreigners working in Singapore. They simply can't find a good job in Australia upon graduation because they are not Australian and they are not white.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Their definition of "local experience" is first, you have to be Australian (not just a mutherfucking PR), Second you have to be white! Simple as that.

I have quite a few Asian friends who grad from the top Aussie unis and can't land themselves a job despite having PR and really good grades. The funny thing is whenever we go ask around prospective employers about the academic grades requirement, all of them gave an unanimous "ard 65 will do". So why are my friends not being called up for any job interviews (much less land a job) despite being a PR and being one of the top few students of their cohort? I really feel for them.... They worked so hard to get their degrees, yet when they sent out job applications none bother to respond....

Those who are lucky enough to find a job end up in those really small firms which the Aussies themselves shun.

In Australia, the big MNC jobs are reserved for Australians and whites only. Jobs in Australia have extremely high entry barrier for foreigners and that's why u see so many aussie uni grad foreigners working in Singapore. They simply can't find a good job in Australia upon graduation because they are not Australian and they are not white.

I don't know about fresh grad, but one of my friend didn't face this issue and has has been working in Sydney since finished his undergrad studies years ago. Seriously, for a fresh grad, how do you expect to land a good job in a big corporate world since you would have prior work experience to start with.

In Australia, unlike US, academic qualification achievement is not heavily emphasised. If you grad from Harvard, Princeton, Yale etc. you are almost guaranteed to be snatched by the top employers in the US before you even grad. Over here, even u are the top students from Melbourne or Sydney U there's no guarantee for success. There's why even some top Aussie students will usually apply for a scholarship to the US for further study and get a job there.

For top corporate jobs, its hard to for minorities to break the barrier but there's still possibilities. There's some top Asian executives in the banking industry but by and large they are rare. To get to the top, you really need to be really good with your EQ and network with the 'white boys' club, and of course exceptionall good communication and Interpersonal skills (i reckon speak with a 'strong' Aussie accent does help).

In this age where corporates are hunger for talents, they can no longer confine to the hiring whites anymore. U just need to get over this 'discimination' in your mind and sell your key strength to be considered a job.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know about fresh grad, but one of my friend didn't face this issue and has has been working in Sydney since finished his undergrad studies years ago. Seriously, for a fresh grad, how do you expect to land a good job in a big corporate world since you would have prior work experience to start with.

In Australia, unlike US, academic qualification achievement is not heavily emphasised. If you grad from Harvard, Princeton, Yale etc. you are almost guaranteed to be snatched by the top employers in the US before you even grad. Over here, even u are the top students from Melbourne or Sydney U there's no guarantee for success. There's why even some top Aussie students will usually apply for a scholarship to the US for further study and get a job there.

Eh, is this confine to just the Financial sector? My first job is a fortune 500 company. Most of my friends the same as well. They are Asians by the way. Some goes to consulting firms, banks etc. Its not hard to get into the big corporate world if you get a degree from an aussie uni. I think being the top student does have its advantage, academic wise, but if you notice, the big corporates over here don't just hire based on academic results. I know several "top" students having problem finding job after graduating. On the flip-side, some 65% average student are doing very well today. EQ, inter-personality communication plays a very big role when you are looking for your job not just academic here. Which I find is a bit different back home.

woolsworth

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Australia , when one applies for a job , there is no immediate way for the Company to determine if one is a PR or a Citizen ; one only submits the Tax File number . Australian Citizenship matters more if one is applying for Federal Govt jobs.

Perhaps we move in different circles, but several of my Asian friends manage to secure fairly decent jobs in Global MNCs based in Australia (2 with Resource companies , 3 with Finance sectors ). None of them had prior Australian experience . They were however mid level execs with fairly good EQs too, and those in the Finance sector were also on the MODL list .

One suggestion is for new Asian arrivals - be more, much more assertive . Stop being a wussy. One needs to be firm , polite , and very pushy .