• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie Local experience

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
cant....there are heaps of engineering jobs if u have 5 years or more experience but i dont....

have degree in both so qualify for finance as well...

What sort of engineering. Depends on experience as well. I got mine relatively fast in about a month. My former colleague from the old company waited for 6 months before one pops up and its not even in Sydney, he has to relo to Adelaide. There are heaps of software/IT jobs in Sydney. If its more electrical/manufacturing, I suppose that is going to be a bit tougher. I also had a degree in commerce as well. But its not really relevant to what I'm doing nowadays. At the end of the day, you have to show you can work in a company, both technically and mentally, even if you have less then 5 years, it won't make a difference if they think you would "gel" with the company. At least, that is what I find different here, not just paper qualification or experience, but the EQ side of things as well.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
What sort of engineering. Depends on experience as well. I got mine relatively fast in about a month. My former colleague from the old company waited for 6 months before one pops up and its not even in Sydney, he has to relo to Adelaide. There are heaps of software/IT jobs in Sydney. If its more electrical/manufacturing, I suppose that is going to be a bit tougher. I also had a degree in commerce as well. But its not really relevant to what I'm doing nowadays. At the end of the day, you have to show you can work in a company, both technically and mentally, even if you have less then 5 years, it won't make a difference if they think you would "gel" with the company. At least, that is what I find different here, not just paper qualification or experience, but the EQ side of things as well.

totally......mines mechanical so its rather tough and rough....experience do count alot...been applying lots of lowly job lately....hope to start from small and way up

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally......mines mechanical so its rather tough and rough....experience do count alot...been applying lots of lowly job lately....hope to start from small and way up

That explains, yes, mechanical is a pretty "closed" job market. You might have to be patient in this case.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks of coz i dont mind, been applying lots of tafe jobs as well.. even hsc jobs...

totally...

The job ads are for employers looking for tafe grads. but all you need is just to get into the job market. once that is done, you are set.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Australia , when one applies for a job , there is no immediate way for the Company to determine if one is a PR or a Citizen ; one only submits the Tax File number . Australian Citizenship matters more if one is applying for Federal Govt jobs.

Perhaps we move in different circles, but several of my Asian friends manage to secure fairly decent jobs in Global MNCs based in Australia (2 with Resource companies , 3 with Finance sectors ). None of them had prior Australian experience . They were however mid level execs with fairly good EQs too, and those in the Finance sector were also on the MODL list .

One suggestion is for new Asian arrivals - be more, much more assertive . Stop being a wussy. One needs to be firm , polite , and very pushy .

I guess its a common practise to indicate your visa status in the application if you are not a citizen. As a hiring manager, I would ask if the candidate got a valid visa to work in Australia before proceeding further.

Nationality / racial discrimination though its not obvious but might play a apart. If u come from developed countries or have worked in western countries eg. Europe/US or JPN/SG/HK then employers are more impressed then someone with a background or work experiences from a less developed nation. Discrimination by no means applicable to only Asians but some Middle Easterns or even Eastern European people. Also don't forget some hiring / HR managers are minorities and they tend to flavour people come from the same or equivalent background too.

Over here unless you are after technical jobs most jobs interviews will be more behaviour/EQ and if you demonstrate a good command of English and EQ skills then you stand a good chance of competing with the locals.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, is this confine to just the Financial sector? My first job is a fortune 500 company. Most of my friends the same as well. They are Asians by the way. Some goes to consulting firms, banks etc. Its not hard to get into the big corporate world if you get a degree from an aussie uni. I think being the top student does have its advantage, academic wise, but if you notice, the big corporates over here don't just hire based on academic results. I know several "top" students having problem finding job after graduating. On the flip-side, some 65% average student are doing very well today. EQ, inter-personality communication plays a very big role when you are looking for your job not just academic here. Which I find is a bit different back home.

I guess once you become an experienced professionals (> 5 yrs or more) academic qualification no longer a deciding factor. Recommendation & networking with the right people will help to land a job especially in the financial industry as u tend to bump into one another given its a small market here. If not, you really have to sell or articulate very well to convince you are the right candidate for the job.