• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Audi and VW Cars

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the level of Millionaires in Sinkie, I am surprised there are not more Bugatti Veyrons?
In fact, I don't think I've seen one.

Most rich people will use the same amount of money to buy a few ferraris and lambos.
Bugatti is just fast and overloaded with horsepower, not that much street appeal.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just 10 years ago, not many car buyers would even consider an Audi or VW car. They were known as troublesome cars. About 3 years ago, I noticed both brands being desired items. A&P? Or, the range of cars available?

Peugeot, Citroen, Opel, Alfa, Saab etc are still lagging behind. They don't have that many models to choose from, in the first place.

Agree?

due to weakness of euro and strength of yen, comsumer will get more "car" per dollar spend. audi and vw have the excellent double crutch gearbox while japanese box have the not as good CVT. when VW got rid of its local dealer ard 2009, VW price even better japanese model. that time, a entry level golf only $5k more than a honda jazz.

now COE so high, only loaded ppl can afford so they would buy the better style conti car than dull japanese box. even the korean models look nicer than the japanese. the japanese are screwed, more expensive than koreans yet not as good as the continental models. korean such as kia offer 7yrs warrenty and servicing, even VW had 3yrs free servicing and free recovery service. japanese car dealers, such as honda kah motor charge $200plus for it first servicing at 1000km, then 5000km and 15000km. that $600plus in servicing for just the first year.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just 10 years ago, not many car buyers would even consider an Audi or VW car. They were known as troublesome cars. About 3 years ago, I noticed both brands being desired items. A&P? Or, the range of cars available?

Peugeot, Citroen, Opel, Alfa, Saab etc are still lagging behind. They don't have that many models to choose from, in the first place.

Agree?

Audi was a lot more problematic 10 over years ago. The build quality has improved a lot but still not as robust as it should be considering the price.
The main reason for Audi's growth worldwide is due to the series of new models introduced in the last 10 years with very nice curve lines. I would say the introduction of the A5 series 5 years back marked the turning point. The success in Singapore has a lot to do with a new guy they sent here coupled with a big marketing budget. It was quite shitty previously under the Indo distributor without much marketing from Audi AG.

The other reason Audi managed to gain some market share was due to value for money. I know quite a few people who switched over from Bemeer to Audi. For the same price, you get a lot more stuff packed in. Obviously this is before the COE went crazy.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very soon the Chinese roads will be filled with BMWs and Merc...already in some cities, BMWs and Merc are so common!!! Porches and Jaguars no problems lah....China is growing rapidly and will surpass the world ....

Stupid fucktard, I think you never even been to china.
Read the posts by bros regarding the VW and Audi plants in china.
Back then they had a big problem with fakes...yes as expected the tiongs can even fake cars....now their homemade brands just copy outright.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stupid fucktard, I think you never even been to china.
Read the posts by bros regarding the VW and Audi plants in china.
Back then they had a big problem with fakes...yes as expected the tiongs can even fake cars....now their homemade brands just copy outright.

audi is owned by VW. VW is aiming to be the biggest car maker because of its market share in china. china taxi are mainly the old VW jetta.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the level of Millionaires in Sinkie, I am surprised there are not more Bugatti Veyrons?
In fact, I don't think I've seen one.

It costs 4.5 million.
I am sure there is one or two here...if not pappies billionaires import policy would have failed.
The sultan of Johor has one in 2 tone colored...

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
熊猫牌

chinese-clone-geely-reinvents-the-classic-rolls-reinvents-the-lawsuit-6072_1.jpg

Which is Singapore's Audi or Porsche? Surely a first world cuntry and economic success as Singapore would have a few global brands? :rolleyes:

If LHL bends further, Geely and Chery will be the national pride. :biggrin:

Must come up with a 熊猫牌 panda brand.

Chery_1387655i.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I have always been impressed with Audi/VW.

Both brands are German and have a reputation for quality and reliability, especially in Europe. The other brands you mention, not so much.
Plus they have strong marketing and advertising - just take a look every Saturday in the ST. Premium Motors spend more advertising dollars than either Performance Motors or Cycle & Carriage.

The REAL world tells a different story....

BUSINESS

news_business_content;slot=printableversionsponsorship;sz=120x60,215x60;sectn=news;ctype=content;news=business;referrer=newsbusiness18973775;domain=www.bbc.co.uk;referrer_domain=www.bbc.co.uk;rsi=J08781_10040;rsi=J08781_10057;rsi=J08781_10065;rsi=J08781_10189;rsi=J08781_10577;headline=japanesecarsare'mostreliable';asset_type=story;story_id=18973775;keyword=;tile=3;ord=20831303246248

25 July 2012 Last updated at 19:07 ETJapanese cars are 'most reliable' used car brands in UK

Japanese carmakers Honda, Toyota and Lexus have been named the most reliable used car brands in the UK in a survey by What Car? and Warranty Direct.

Suzuki and Subaru, also Japanese, were ranked fourth and fifth respectively in the survey of cars between three and 10 years old.
South Korean carmaker Hyundai shared sixth place with Japan's Mazda and Mitsubishi.

By contrast, Land Rover was the least reliable marque surveyed.

Other luxury car brands, including Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes, were also among the 10 least reliable.

"They need to do better," said What Car?'s editor in chief, Chas Hallett, insisting these marques' poor reliability would be "surprising to many".
"Reliability is so important to motorists, especially when times are tough."

'Increasingly complex'

Owners of used Hondas have a 10% chance of their cars suffering a breakdown, according to the survey of 50,000 Warranty Direct policies.

"Japanese carmakers really do deliver on reliability and Honda is exceptionally good at this," said Mr Hallett, pointing out that this was the seventh year in a row when Honda topped the ranking.

US carmaker Chevrolet was the only non-Asian marque to rank as one of the 10 most reliable used cars. Some 22% of Chevrolets break down at least once each year.

By comparison, the worst performing Japanese brand was Nissan, with a failure rate of 25%, just ahead of South Korea's Kia at 26%. By contrast, seven in 10 Land Rover owners will experience a breakdown in any given year, the survey said.

Failure rates for other luxury marques was better at between 41% and 45%, while most mainstream European brands had failure rates of between 31% and 55%.

"Cars have become increasingly complex, with lots of gadgetry on board, especially on executive models, where buyers expect more and more bang for their buck," said Warranty Direct's managing director, Duncan McClure Fisher.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have always been impressed with Audi/VW.

Both brands are German and have a reputation for quality and reliability, especially in Europe.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey-2012/263555

Volkswagen 20th=
Last year's position 20/35
Cars needing repair work 39%
Average repair cost £339
Best model Lupo ('99-'05)
Worst model Phaeton ('03-)

Volkswagen's 20th place isn't as good as the company image suggests. Only three VWs make the top 10 in their class, and even then the best-ranked (Phaeton) is only third.

Audi 26th
Last year's position 24/35
Cars needing repair work 42%
Average repair cost £471
Best model TT ('06-)
Worst model A4 Cabriolet ('01-'05)

Another drop for Audi, because of high repair costs and a poor RI score.

The A4 Cabriolet ('01-'05) is the least reliable, with nearly 40% of its problems being electrical and costing an average of £532 to fix. The TT ('06-) is better, with a 25% failure rate and an RI score of 80.

257121254727.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious and hopefully someone can throw some light on this - the German engineering is world renown yet their reliability index is poor compared to the Japanese. I recall when Honda entered F1, they delivered the best engines and not the usual marquees. We are talking about since the 1970s when Toyota became the most reliable car. I just don't get it. What are the issues - assembly, parts, complexity etc

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I am curious and hopefully someone can throw some light on this - the German engineering is world renown yet their reliability index is poor compared to the Japanese. I recall when Honda entered F1, they delivered the best engines and not the usual marquees. We are talking about since the 1970s when Toyota became the most reliable car. I just don't get it. What are the issues - assembly, parts, complexity etc

You're on the button... the answer is assembly, parts, complexity.

If you want a car to be reliable, it has to be designed and assembled with reliability in mind before all else.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/are-german-cars-reliable-myth-german-engineering.html

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
[h=3]5 Cars Mechanics Love[/h]Click to enlarge picture
Couple with mechanic

We gave you the five cars that mechanics loathe to see rolling down the street. Now it is time to identify the ones that make them giddy as schoolgirls. These are the five vehicles that landed on the dark side of Consumer Reports' 2010 Dependability Survey, representing the worst of the worst when it comes to reliability. When repair-shop owners see these cars, trucks and SUVs coming, they see dollar signs. Owners can only pray that all of the car's demons are exorcised before the factory warranty expires.
Read: Mechanic Mishaps
[h=3]Jaguar XF[/h]Click to enlarge picture
Jaguar XF Series

Consumer Reports dependability rating: 143 percent below average
The Jaguar XF is the biggest loser here, scoring nearly 2.5 times worse than the average in the Consumer Reports rankings. The Jag's scores suffered because of substantial transmission, drive line and electrical problems. It also scored poorly in the body-integrity (noise) and power-equipment categories. While the XF does not represent a big chunk of the market — only about 6,200 are expected to be sold this year — its poor showing is sure to get shop owners licking their chops.
Bing Images: Jaguar XF
[h=3]Audi A6 3.0T[/h]Click to enlarge picture
Audi A6

Consumer Reports dependability ratings: 142 percent below average
The Audi A6 3.0T suffered in the engine-cooling categories, scored poorly in the body and power-equipment categories of the Consumer Reports survey, and ended up a scant 1 percentage point from rock bottom. "Cars in trouble have the potential to stay in trouble," says Allen Otto of Hansville Repair, a small, rural repair shop in Washington state's Puget Sound region, "which is good for independent European specialty shops that have the proprietary tools to make money on the repairs. The more high-end and exclusive the car, the more high-end, exclusive and expensive the repair."
Watch Video: 2010 Audi A6
[h=3]Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe[/h]Click to enlarge picture
Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe

Consumer Reports dependability rating: 100 percent below average
The Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe was hurt by poor showings in the engine fuel system, body hardware/fit and power-equipment categories of the Consumer Reports survey. And it had a whopping 50 service bulletins in Hansville Repair's database. For comparison, the dependable Toyota Yaris had nine, most of them for pre-sale dealership procedures, touch-up paint, squeaks and tire pressure.
Compare: Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. BMW 3-Series vs. Audi A6
[h=3]BMW 135i[/h]Click to enlarge picture
BMW 1-Series 135i

The red flag for the BMW 1-Series is the fuel system. In fact, all BMWs with the 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-6 scored poorly. The 135i earned its twice-the-average score by also having electrical, brake and body problems. Eugene Lee, who works at SP Engineering, a repair shop in Southern California, leased a BMW with the twin-turbo I6 and had to make four trips to the dealership to have a fuel-pump switch replaced while it was under warranty. That is three trips too many, in his opinion.
View Pictures: BMW and MINI at the L.A. Show
[h=3]MINI Cooper Convertible[/h]Click to enlarge picture
MINI Cooper Convertible

The MINI Cooper drop-top was scored in both naturally aspirated trim and with the turbocharged Cooper S engine. Respondents called out body flex, wind noise, rattles and paint and trim tribulations as their major boggles with both MINIs. In the Cooper S, the fuel system and cooling were also issues. Otto recalls rebuilding two Cooper S engines in the same week: "They were driven through puddles, and somehow water was sucked through the supercharger, destroying the engine. Something is wrong with the design and build."

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love VW cars especially Jetta but I was warn VW has got gear box problem
after some time!!

Audi dont touch! ouuch!