• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone Owns a boat?

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of buying a Boat, Got around 200k to spend.

No boat license, Knows no one who owns one, never been on a private boat(Other then the boat to/from Tekong and Batam) and have totally no idea about the cost etc. parking, maintenance, make and model......

Why? I just think a boat is cool and it allows me to get away from the hustle and bustle of the City and away from Sinkies.

Its not a confirm Buy, Today is only the 1st day researching about it.

Please share with me anything you guys know about boats and etc.. Singapore waters, license, parking.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$200k is a big budget for boat. Can afford to buy 30ft boat with fully aircon cabin.
1. For parking depend on location(Ponggol Marina CC, West Coast, Republic SG yacth club Tuas Raffles Marina) and boat length eg. 30ft boat about $500/month.
2. Boat license quite easy to get from I hear from skipper.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thinking of buying a Boat, Got around 200k to spend.

No boat license, Knows no one who owns one, never been on a private boat(Other then the boat to/from Tekong and Batam) and have totally no idea about the cost etc. parking, maintenance, make and model......

Why? I just think a boat is cool and it allows me to get away from the hustle and bustle of the City and away from Sinkies.

Its not a confirm Buy, Today is only the 1st day researching about it.

Please share with me anything you guys know about boats and etc.. Singapore waters, license, parking.

i got one to sell...................it's currently berthed at my bathtub...................20k enough liao................

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boat licence go to MPA website.
$200K budget...too much. Are u looking for full cabin? I suggest novices like u to get a 16 footer dynaglass & drive around 1st. Its cheap, probably cost you about $8-10K for a 2nd hand. No point getting new one.
From there, u gradually upgrade to a 30-40 footer. Bigger boats not easy to navigate. Big anchor & the blardy winch to handle, u need to know about tying knots & whatnot. Then there's the GPS & shipping lanes you have to be familiar.
Getting boat, there's a lot of maintenance if u get a diesel engine. Must start the blardy thing everyday. Then there's the cleaning part. And the sun. And the storm. All the best.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you get a boat be very careful of our navy. They have been known to break the rules & cause accidents,

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Few year ago I also thinking of owning boat because always go fishing. Last min pull hand brake. Lucky did not buy.Now day the weather really killing people. No more going off shore fishing.

It more affordable to rent than buying.
Example maybe u rent only 3day/month. It only cost you about $500/day for 20ft with cabin with fuel.
No need to worry parking/insurance/maintenance.

If you buy the bad thing is you need to clean the boat after come back. Already very tired still need to clean. U can ask other to clean of course with a price.

Just rent 1st or like the other bro said buy a 2nd try 1st for few month and if really getting serious then consider buy bigger one. If not it will be waste money.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard from a friend that he got his license at Yacht Club in sembawang. I don't have the details but you can try google Yacht Club.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boat license very easy to get....attend class, theory test then practical handling.......kids above 16 can go liao.
Boat cheap to buy expensive to maintain.....parking also got dry and wet dock.....
200K can buy big big swee swee yacht.....back then i thought of buy a boat instead of a house and living in it.......
dream never made it to fruitation though.

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you guys supplement your recommendations with pics of the boat ?

Is this the kind of 30-foot boat TS is considering ?

boatsForSale%5Cphotos%5C30FT_TROJAN_1.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

You don't "park" a boat. You either moor it or berth it.

For the smaller boats, you have the option of drystacking instead of leaving it sitting in the water all the time.

In NZ, boats below 8 metres can be trailered which means you bring them home with you thus avoiding marina charges. However, you waste a lot of time cleaning and flushing. I guess this option isn't viable in Singapore because towing a boat with a private vehicle is not allowed.

Budget 10 to 15% of the value of your boat annually for maintenance so if you buy a $200,000 boat, that's $20,000 to $30,000 a year for its upkeep.

Boats are VERY fuel hungry. I've consumed $3000 worth of diesel in a long weekend. Fuel consumption varies hugely depending on the conditions and the cruising speed.

If you don't have a group of friends or a family that shares your passion for boating and/or fishing, don't bother buying one. You'll get bored after a year or so. It's no fun going to sea all by yourself.

In Singapore, you have to be very careful not to end up in foreign waters or you could spend some time in an Indo or Malaysian prison cell. I'm not joking. It has happened to more than one of my boating buddies.

The South China Sea isn't safe either. It's full of pirates.

Don't let me discourage you. If you really love the freedom and solitude of the open sea, you'll consider it money well spent.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you get a boat be very careful of our navy. They have been known to break the rules & cause accidents,

at night lagi worse...................the Coast Guard boats will be sleeping..................i ever saw one almost kana beached at ECP years ago...................lucky the fella woke up, otherwise another 30min sure on the beach liao............

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few year ago I also thinking of owning boat because always go fishing. Last min pull hand brake. Lucky did not buy.Now day the weather really killing people. No more going off shore fishing.

It more affordable to rent than buying.
Example maybe u rent only 3day/month. It only cost you about $500/day for 20ft with cabin with fuel.
No need to worry parking/insurance/maintenance.

If you buy the bad thing is you need to clean the boat after come back. Already very tired still need to clean. U can ask other to clean of course with a price.

Just rent 1st or like the other bro said buy a 2nd try 1st for few month and if really getting serious then consider buy bigger one. If not it will be waste money.

Where do you go to rent it at $500/day?

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, you have to be very careful not to end up in foreign waters or you could spend some time in an Indo or Malaysian prison cell. I'm not joking. It has happened to more than one of my boating buddies.

The South China Sea isn't safe either. It's full of pirates.

Boats are equipped with transponder & homing device lah. If u swerve into wrong side of the international waters, you will be alerted & you'll get a letter & a fine from the MPA within 2 weeks.
Pirates at SCS not so common. If you go Bintan side esp the Riau islands, be very careful.
Best is dont flounder your boat at nite unless you know the area well. But no point. If youre on SG waters, the coastguard will kacau u. If youre in Mat waters, their navy police will ask u for teh tarik money.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boats are equipped with transponder & homing device lah. If u swerve into wrong side of the international waters, you will be alerted & you'll get a letter & a fine from the MPA within 2 weeks.

Things weren't so sophisticated in my days. A friend of mine swore he was in Singapore waters when the Malaysian marine patrol arrested him. However, that didn't alter the fact that he spent two days in a "hotel" in Johore before things were sorted out via an exchange of money for freedom.

As it turned out, it was the PAP's fault. They had offended the Johore prince who was told that he could not land his helicopter in the middle of the polo grounds.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
cant fault the PAP this time......the reason the helicopter was denied landing was because Airforce 1 was parked there.

As it turned out, it was the PAP's fault. They had offended the Johore prince who was told that he could not land his helicopter in the middle of the polo grounds.

insignia

Alfrescian
Loyal
cant fault the PAP this time......the reason the helicopter was denied landing was because Airforce 1 was parked there.

Buying a boat is a good idea. I respect people who own boats alot more than people who own luxury cars.

Besides, you can even save money by renting out our house and living on board the boat instead.

Think about all the cool parties you can have on board your boat with SYTs!

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
luxury boats cost much more than luxury cars ......i cant afford either bro....i cant even afford SYT :(

Buying a boat is a good idea. I respect people who own boats alot more than people who own luxury cars.

Besides, you can even save money by renting out our house and living on board the boat instead.

Think about all the cool parties you can have on board your boat with SYTs!