• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone Owns a boat?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I used to race jet-skis. How can I help?

My first was a Kawasaki Ultra 150 which was a quick as lightning but could be described as akin to riding a wild horse. The hull was terrible in rough seas and it threw me off more times than I can remember.

I then switched to a Yamaha GP1200 which was so much more stable and predictable.

They were all two strokes in those days but emission laws driven by the USA have pretty much killed most of the 2 stroke engines in favour of the 4 stroke variety which has way less power per cc. The end result is huge engines of 1500cc or more to make up for the lost horses.

boss , your jet-skis got seat ? if dont have then i respect you for " pain tolerance " after jumping up and down those wave :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i brought my second hand jet skis when i stay in phuket for 2 years only cost me about sin$2500 .

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A better option for that price range would be from http://www.rayglass.co.nz/

cat_Leg2800.jpg

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of buying a Boat, Got around 200k to spend.

No boat license, Knows no one who owns one, never been on a private boat(Other then the boat to/from Tekong and Batam) and have totally no idea about the cost etc. parking, maintenance, make and model......

Why? I just think a boat is cool and it allows me to get away from the hustle and bustle of the City and away from Sinkies.

Its not a confirm Buy, Today is only the 1st day researching about it.

Please share with me anything you guys know about boats and etc.. Singapore waters, license, parking.

I've spent quite a bit of time and money now on 2 boats, but question is do you know what kind of boating you want? There are power and sail - both allow you to get away, sail is more quiet, and has less fuel charges and then there is power. Sailing requires some skill and handling power boats, getting them up on plane etc requires some knowledge. Boat prices escalate with size, increasing when you break the 20' barrier. If you just want to spend a day with 2-6 friends by visiting some nearby islands then a beginner 17-19' bowrider is cheap and teaches you what you need to know. This is how I learned. Then there are cruisers, they typically start at 24' and go to about 50'. These boats have it all - nice inside cabins, aircon, kitchen, tv, so you can overnight on these boats. There is a big price difference between your entry level 24" cruiser and a 33" footer. Depreciation is also major on new boats, so most people shop for a boat that's been gently used. You can easily loose 50% of your purchase price in 5-6 years!

Boat engines are not like car engines - they spend most of their time running at 3/4 throttle, so fuel is a major expense. When you look at a boat, the number of hours an engine has run is a major consideration. Looking at the manifold, riser, generator, water pump and drive is also important. Making sure the engine was flushed with fresh water after use is a must as sea water corrodes these engines.

Also depending on size, inboard vs outboard is another topic. I personally think outboards are easier, cheaper to maintain and can take salt water better than most mass produced inboard petrol or diesel engines.

You can keep your boat hi and dry at a marina in Singapore. Anything bigger than 40' is likely to be berthed - and then you have to watch the boat bottom in these cases as they have been painted, and their condition becomes another major consideration. I personally have had experience with a 34' in the states and would recommend volvo penta over mercruiser if possible. Most cruisers seem to come from the US - Regal, Rinker, Monterey, Glastron, WellCraft, formula. Bayliner is cheaper, and its sister company, Sea Ray is more upmarket. Their cruisers are the sundancers, which are the most popular in the states. Well best of luck and remember the saying BOAT stands for "Bring Over Another Thousand" ( At least thats what my old mechanic used to tell me) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

g3abc

Alfrescian
Loyal
from experience here in Singapore, I noticed the following,..

1. Boating with crafts under 50' in Length - extremely exhausting, cos' the equitorial sun + radiation soaks up most energy form the body. And Ye, it really can get HOTTTT

2. After a day of cruising, Fishing, whatever,....one has to fresh-water clean the boat,..after already feeling drained of energy (this is probably why most boaters drink beer like water,....)

3. Various mechanical, electrical and other problems WILL persist,..and part of the 'fun",..is to spend money to fix these issues.

..the only boating that I'd like to do now & inthe future, would be able to buy a 80' to 120' craft, with full crew (to do the work),..and enjoy the airconditioned cocoon inside the various cabins.

And don't be foolish enough to buy a big boat, before starting from smaller boats.

Oh, I forgot to also add,...Boating in Singapore is no longer fun, cos' every craft has to be fitted with a transponder, & due to the high traffic, there are many more marine hazards,.coupled by the overly-zealous VTIS Duty Officer / and nosey Coast Guard Patrol Craft,...at MPA,...Big Brother is watching your every move,.....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My advice to Sinkies who love boating... emigrate to NZ! It's a boaties' paradise. 2 Islands to choose from... many sheltered coves for overnighting... great fishing... thousands of miles of coastline... no worry about pirates or straying into foreign waters... no boat registration or boating licence required. You'll never look back.

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about taxes ? Does Singapore tax yacht owners differently from other countries, just as in the case of cars ?

You do not need a COE to own a yacht, dry parking is expensive though. There are 3 test centres where you can take your MCQ test and get the result on the spot, used to be $20 and yes, Sembawang Yacht Club is one of them. The practical part is kind of easy; perform figure 8, save man overboard and docking. Theory test is hard though and sailing is not that easy for an amateur.