• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tata Young's answer to Rak Sam Sao would be this song..........
Sonehow Tata is not that well-liked generally........because she is too angmo and dun behave like a thai.......

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_YLqvob9FPQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I seen tata young live in person before. She was making an appearance at i think at central world. Damn she was fat. That was i think in 2011.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've used AEON many times - I can confirm there's no 150B charge. It's not a Malaysian; it's Japanese - they run malls primarily but also do hire-purchase. Their ATMS are harder to find because it's often just a nondescript free-standing box, but there's one in most The Mall malls and places like Terminal 21/Siam etc. There's a handy ATM locator on their website.

I use a lot of ATMs and I travel a lot all over the place so I know a little of how this all works.

1) In Thailand, first off, there's the 150B charge. This is a mandated fee and it is charged per transaction.

2) Next, all ATMs in the world use an interchange network to settle debits and credits. You know this as Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay, JCB etc. The same network is used for credit card transactions, debit card transactions and ATM transactions. The interchange network sets the currency exchange rate, which closely mirrors the interbank exchange rate (see xe.com for example). There are minor variances between networks. Currency exchange rates fluctuate during the trading day e.g. there is spot rate, there are buy/sell margins. The internetwork exchange sets a rate for the day.

3) Then your bank (not the Thai bank, they don't makan any fees except for the 150B), bloodsuckers as they are, sets a margin above and over the network's exchange rate from 0-3% (typical).

4) Finally there's the question of withdrawal limits. This is set by your bank in home currency, usually a daily amount and a per transaction amount. The Thai ATM however has a physical limit of how many notes it can dispense at one go. It is usually 20 notes so 20k baht (scb, k bank). Some banks are higher: Bangkok Bank is 25k, UOB is 30k and AEON is 40k. So if you need more, withdraw a couple of times.

So if you withdraw 20,000 baht: you are paying 150baht fee + Visa(for example) exchange rate (MC and Visa publish their daily rates, but close to or beats local money changer rates) + DBS' fee (for example 3% = 600 baht) for a total of 750 baht. This represents a 3.75% leakage.

In my case, I use an offshore bank ATM which has no fees (they charge 0% on top of Visa) and also reimburses the 150Baht so that's why I use the ATM when I need cash. I usually use a credit card though because they pay me 1% rebate.

Bro which bank do u use for this?

You mentioned you use AEON atm and your bank absorbs the 150b charge?

So you don't need to go moneychanger to change right?

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro which bank do u use for this?

You mentioned you use AEON atm and your bank absorbs the 150b charge?

So you don't need to go moneychanger to change right?

AEON no need for my bank to refund 150B charge because AEON does not charge the 150B in the first place.
Yes, I do not use a moneychanger because I believe Visa's rates are better and my bank does not levy any % above and over Visa's rates.
Visa's rates here:
http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

The bank I use is a foreign (Non-Singapore) bank so you might not be able to replicate. For Singapore ATM card holders - just bring cash - that's the best way - and use superrich or equivalent.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The new Hilux will be out soon. You gonna switch to Toyota?

Finally. These bastards have been selling this 7th generation Hilux for the past 8-9 years, its bloody time. News here is the new Hilux will only be produce and sold next year or the year after. No pics yet.

I'll not be changing because I rarely use it, maid use it most of the time to market and long drive home to Khon Kaen. I got this for flood standby.

Ford Ranger is very popular now here, I must say its a really handsome truck this Ranger

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Ford Ranger is very popular now here, I must say its a really handsome truck this Ranger

What's the word on the street regarding the reliability of the Ranger?

My cycling buddy owned a Ford Falcon XR6 [Made in OZ] a few years ago and it gave nothing but trouble. It was noisy, the ECU had to be changed 3 times in one year and the dashboard rattled just like an old Lada. It put me off Ford immediately and I've never bothered considering one since then.

However, I have to agree that the new Ranger looks great and if it's reasonably reliable, I might just give it a go for a change. Not cheap though. The top of the line model is NZD66.640.00

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My cycling buddy owned a Ford Falcon XR6 [Made in OZ] a few years ago and it gave nothing but trouble. It was noisy, the ECU had to be changed 3 times in one year and the dashboard rattled just like an old Lada. It put me off Ford immediately and I've never bothered considering one since then.

that why ford cease operation in Ozland, it not the high value of the AUD but the sloppy workmanship that plague its production line. with u comparing it to a russian lada, it already show how bad was ford being build in Oz.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AEON no need for my bank to refund 150B charge because AEON does not charge the 150B in the first place.
Yes, I do not use a moneychanger because I believe Visa's rates are better and my bank does not levy any % above and over Visa's rates.
Visa's rates here:
http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

The bank I use is a foreign (Non-Singapore) bank so you might not be able to replicate. For Singapore ATM card holders - just bring cash - that's the best way - and use superrich or equivalent.

I see you are very tight lipped about the name of the bank you use. Any reason why?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

However, I have to agree that the new Ranger looks great and if it's reasonably reliable, I might just give it a go for a change. Not cheap though. The top of the line model is NZD66.640.00

Here the top Wildtrek model cost slightly more than NZ$41,000. So far I have not heard of any negative thing with the Ford Ranger. I'll keep a look out on comments and reviews here and post.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is the famous Scala Sharksfin Restaurant in Bangkok's Chinatown along Yaowarat Road

null-367.jpg

Went there for dinner tonight

Starter with jellyfish
null-306.jpg

Crab pincers on hot plate garnished with garlic
null-533.jpg

Steamed white cod
null-341.jpg

Fried oysters
null-1196.jpg

My favourite, fish maw
null-2012.jpg

There was a plate of dou miso vege too

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Knn joe, why everytime u need to post bangkok aroi mak mak food to stimulate my brain. Wild thoughts kept flashing in my mind.:biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ford ranger only can fjord river up to a depth of 80cm? that pathetic, even a defender can fjord deeper than that. knn, even a VW van of the 70s can do better than that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4WbcXSG5tgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hey Chon, like to share this hokkien song with you, a touching family song, hope you enjoy, I like this singer very much

[video=youtube;an8kaGjzeKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8kaGjzeKs[/video]

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hey Chon, like to share this hokkien song with you, a touching family song, hope you enjoy, I like this singer very much

This is one bloke made good.

The one in Sinkapoor didn't do as well.

I do think Chon will be going for this song now.:biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is one bloke made good.

The one in Sinkapoor didn't do as well.

I do think Chon will be going for this song now.:biggrin:

Thanks guys. now I machiam like this song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/thWC4s59utg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>