• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Today woke up at 4 am and went to new shop to have a feel of the morning crowd. A number of passerbys came in but have to tell them we are not open for business yet. :smile: Have a talk with the printer/designer on my menu and still not finalized yet. :( Afternoon went to buy 2 industrial fridge. One for storing ice cubes and the other for displaying cold beverages. Had discussion with partner on increasing the sitting capacity to 50. Currently, outdoor is 20 and indoor is 20 (8 at bar counter and 12 at tables). The current sitting capacity is quite comfortable and spacious with lots of privacy and I prefer to maintain sitting capacity at 40. Will also be providing sheesha pipes at the outdoor area. :smile:

As for pastries, I have to wait for the already hired baker from korat (phone interview) as he already have another seperate equipment shopping list for me. :eek: Problem he can only start work in a weeks time. sianz, and I hate to wait cos' I know this one is going to be real expensive.

Afternoon also find a slot to interview 3 new candidates. One of my existing staff at my old office is a qualified barista and she volunteered to train the new staff. So it seems that we are ready to rock and roll by mid january. With the latest i investment, I hope to increase the staff strength to 30 full time staff by mid 2013.

Still going through the list of outstanding action items (everyday got new items added), hehehe, strike out one less than the new ones. Had a talk with small one last night and she very keen to work at new shop but have to reject the proposal. Will most likely open another smaller shop for her. Small one will also take over my apartment as I intend to stay at new shop for at least 5-6 months.

As for now, really pong chek liaoz.

Bro nice to hear all these. I hope when your staff come and start you will learn hard from them, no la you know these bastards can 吊起来买, I hope you don't kenna threaten by them some time later if they know you dolely depend on them too much.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm not a bread guy more of a noddle person. Tomorrow got to leave home at around 6am and drive to a resort in Kanchanaburi province so thought I'd make some sandwiches for the 280km (5hrs) drive there. Went to buy a bag of wholewheat bread 250g that costs 20baht (80 cents). I was surprised that its quite inexpensive as I remembered like 30 years ago in Singapore a half loaf of white bread would have cost 50 cents at that time.

I guess in Singapore its more expensive but also because the weight is heavier. Does anyone know how much a half loaf of wholewheat bread cost in Singapore?

null-948.jpg

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont know the weigh of roti in singapore. but those make in small bakery type of roti that kopitiam use normally very light and fluffy. a lot of air inside, sometime cut open can have big lobangs inside. now this type of bakery is a declining trade, only left a few still operating.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Toronto, a 600gm loaf of whole wheat bread is around Cdn$3.50.

A 350gm of Ace baguette is Cdn$3.19, whereas 2 organic baguettes at St Lawrence market is $5.00.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In Toronto, a 600gm loaf of whole wheat bread is around Cdn$3.50.

A 350gm of Ace baguette is Cdn$3.19, whereas 2 organic baguettes at St Lawrence market is $5.00.

That is roughly the same price in Australia, between AUD$2.5 (wholemeal) to $5 (organic sprouted wheat)

Wow these are bloody expensive.

Hey, funny ya three of us taking about costs of bread in Thailand, Canada and Australia and yet still no Singapore bread prices.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow these are bloody expensive.

Hey, funny ya three of us taking about costs of bread in Thailand, Canada and Australia and yet still no Singapore bread prices.

The cost of food and grocery has increased during the past several years, due to higher wholesale prices for wheat, grains, fruits and vegetables.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro nice to hear all these. I hope when your staff come and start you will learn hard from them, no la you know these bastards can 吊起来买, I hope you don't kenna threaten by them some time later if they know you dolely depend on them too much.
Hehehe. Thanks for the advice. One of the reason why I am doing almost everything at new shop by myself. Today got photography session. Who the photographer? Me lah. Finally got chance to use the nikon dslr white elephant liaoz.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont know the weigh of roti in singapore. but those make in small bakery type of roti that kopitiam use normally very light and fluffy. a lot of air inside, sometime cut open can have big lobangs inside. now this type of bakery is a declining trade, only left a few still operating.
I believe you are talking about the traditional hainanese style roti. Yes, those very nice. No preservatives but have to finish within 2 days else the green mold will appear. Remember gardenia and sunshine breads can last a week without refrigeration but that also means lot of preservatives.

BTW, I find the local white bread or even wholemeal breads too 'sweet' for me.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not a bread guy more of a noddle person. Tomorrow got to leave home at around 6am and drive to a resort in Kanchanaburi province so thought I'd make some sandwiches for the 280km (5hrs) drive there. Went to buy a bag of wholewheat bread 250g that costs 20baht (80 cents). I was surprised that its quite inexpensive as I remembered like 30 years ago in Singapore a half loaf of white bread would have cost 50 cents at that time.

I guess in Singapore its more expensive but also because the weight is heavier. Does anyone know how much a half loaf of wholewheat bread cost in Singapore?

Bro joetys

I think full loaf wholemeal if NTUC house brand should be $2.00 ish. Half-loaf should be $1+. Sunshine/Gardenia brands wholemeal loaf should be $2.30 upwards. Must check out NTUC prices later today.

Haven't bought bread recently as my breakfasts mon-fris usually consists of boiled rolled oats and raisins.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro joetys

I think full loaf wholemeal if NTUC house brand should be $2.00 ish. Half-loaf should be $1+. Sunshine/Gardenia brands wholemeal loaf should be $2.30 upwards. Must check out NTUC prices later today.

Haven't bought bread recently as my breakfasts mon-fris usually consists of boiled rolled oats and raisins.

Boiled oats (large flakes better than quick cook variety) with some honey and milk is a low glycemic breakfast.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Charlie99

Mine is kosong - no milk/honey... very very plain.. I eat it like cows chewing cud and chill....kekek...

I find oat porridge without milk (without some honey is still OK) not very appetizing.
But oat porridge is better than most varieties of cereals.

Last edited:

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

null-948.jpg

Wife got a 1/2 loaf wholemeal from Gardenia, think it's close to $2.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro Charlie99

Mine is kosong - no milk/honey... very very plain.. I eat it like cows chewing cud and chill....kekek...

I see you still have very strong teeth. In Thailand we always say old man like young grass, you know what I mean? kekekekeke

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wife got a 1/2 loaf wholemeal from Gardenia, think it's close to $2.

Bro, the above photo of the bread in Thailand is half loaf (10 slices). There is a longer one which is 1 loaf and also a shorter one which is 1/4 loaf. This photo in Singapore is considered 1 loaf or 1/2 loaf? I don't recall seeing a full loaf being sold in Singapore before.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, the above photo of the bread in Thailand is half loaf (10 slices). There is a longer one which is 1 loaf and also a shorter one which is 1/4 loaf. This photo in Singapore is considered 1 loaf or 1/2 loaf? I don't recall seeing a full loaf being sold in Singapore before.

If my memroy serves me well, based on my previous visits to SG, I believe a loaf of bread (Gardenia or NTUC) is about 400 gm, with a retail price of S$2.00 to $2.20.